Royal Pacific, PBH, or Hard Rock

We are a family of 5. We have stayed at RPH, both at club and regular. We have used a rollaway and have just made a nest on the floor for our youngest. On our first trip our kids were 10, 9, and 7. We loved the feel of RPH, but the room felt crowded. When we stayed at club level, it did give us more space. On our last trip, which was 3 years ago, our kids were 14, 15, and 11. We stayed at PBH in the club deluxe queen. We utilized a rollaway. The room felt SO MUCH BIGGER that RPH. (It is 490 vs 335 sq ft at RPH) On the trip, this November, when the kids are 17,16, and 14, we will be duplicating that.

In the past we have eaten breakfast in the club lounge. We then get to the parks early, and are ready for a late lunch at one of the yummy sit down restaraunts, either in the park or City Walk. We have found it to be less crowded this way, plus it gives a good break in the day. We then either go back to the parks for a bit or return to the resort. We use the club level for "dinner", then head back to the parks. So, is club financially worth it? It is for us. And club at PBH? Bacon and scrambled eggs are currently on the menu.

I would not book a "throwaway" room- it would take too much unecessary time to check in/check out. We have only stayed once at HRH, but our family prefers the more relaxing vibe at both RPH and PBP.

Consider getting one annual pass- it could potentially reduce your room rates.

Enjoy planning. Know that there really isn't a wrong move at Universal! Just consider what would be best for your family, ask questions, read trip reports, and make a decision.

We are going back in November- 4 nights at PBH club, and 2 nights at CB family suite. Can't wait!

I just happened to look at the Hard Rock and noticed the Deluxe room with pull out sofa. Would we mind the Hard Rock? Would it be worth it for the larger room and resort that is closer to the park? Just wondering if it’s ever a problem to get a rollaway at PBH, which I’m assuming we will need?

I think it's worth it just because it's such a great hotel. So much fun. So many great food options and so close to the parks. We stayed 5 in a Deluxe Room and had plenty of room to spare.

Between PBH, RPR, and HRH, you can't go wrong with any of them. We've stayed at RPR three times and HRH three times now, and love HRH. That will be our hotel of choice going forward. The easy walking distance to the parks is the main selling point for us. RPR Is a relatively easy walk as well but not as close. For us, knowing we can easily and quickly run back to the hotel if needed lets us enjoy a leisurely and slow paced day in the parks.

In addition, we love the Kitchen and the pool area at HRH. While the pool can be a party atmosphere, there are often spots over by the side entry gate that are empty and secluded. The pool also plays music under the water which is a cool touch.

RPR has better quick options in the morning IMO. PBH has never been our speed both due to the longer walk to the parks, and the theme which isn't our taste. But the good thing about staying at HRH or PBH is that they are a quick walk between the two, so its easy to pool hop or visit the other for dining options.

I think it's worth it just because it's such a great hotel. So much fun. So many great food options and so close to the parks. We stayed 5 in a Deluxe Room and had plenty of room to spare.

Ugh! I thought I was decided on PBH and now I’m not sure.

Between PBH, RPR, and HRH, you can't go wrong with any of them. We've stayed at RPR three times and HRH three times now, and love HRH. That will be our hotel of choice going forward. The easy walking distance to the parks is the main selling point for us. RPR Is a relatively easy walk as well but not as close. For us, knowing we can easily and quickly run back to the hotel if needed lets us enjoy a leisurely and slow paced day in the parks.

In addition, we love the Kitchen and the pool area at HRH. While the pool can be a party atmosphere, there are often spots over by the side entry gate that are empty and secluded. The pool also plays music under the water which is a cool touch.

RPR has better quick options in the morning IMO. PBH has never been our speed both due to the longer walk to the parks, and the theme which isn't our taste. But the good thing about staying at HRH or PBH is that they are a quick walk between the two, so its easy to pool hop or visit the other for dining options.

I guess we will have to look at both again to decide. I have ruled out RPR primarily due to room size unless we get a great deal on a kids suite, so that leaves PBH with a rollaway or HRH, which is $100 more per night. ???

I guess we will have to look at both again to decide. I have ruled out RPR primarily due to room size unless we get a great deal on a kids suite, so that leaves PBH with a rollaway or HRH, which is $100 more per night. ???

We are a family of 5 and have stayed at all 3 within the last 6 months. We just got back this weekend from our stay at HRH. We really enjoyed HRH but PBH is probably our favorite. The walking distance is a huge plus for HRH but we enjoyed the boat ride from PBH. RPR was nice but our least favorite. Sometimes they charge for the rollaway and some times they don't. RPR & PBH didn't charge for the rollaway but HRH did this last trip. Good luck...they are all nice so you can't go too wrong.

We are a family of 5 and have stayed at all 3 within the last 6 months. We just got back this weekend from our stay at HRH. We really enjoyed HRH but PBH is probably our favorite. The walking distance is a huge plus for HRH but we enjoyed the boat ride from PBH. RPR was nice but our least favorite. Sometimes they charge for the rollaway and some times they don't. RPR & PBH didn't charge for the rollaway but HRH did this last trip. Good luck...they are all nice so you can't go too wrong.

Did you prefer the resort atmosphere better at PBH, the room or both? The only draw for me with HRH is the proximity to the park and the extra actual room space. Based on the pictures, though, I really like the resort theming and the bathroom space in the room at PBH.

We are a family of 5. We have stayed at RPH, both at club and regular. We have used a rollaway and have just made a nest on the floor for our youngest. On our first trip our kids were 10, 9, and 7. We loved the feel of RPH, but the room felt crowded. When we stayed at club level, it did give us more space. On our last trip, which was 3 years ago, our kids were 14, 15, and 11. We stayed at PBH in the club deluxe queen. We utilized a rollaway. The room felt SO MUCH BIGGER that RPH. (It is 490 vs 335 sq ft at RPH) On the trip, this November, when the kids are 17,16, and 14, we will be duplicating that.

In the past we have eaten breakfast in the club lounge. We then get to the parks early, and are ready for a late lunch at one of the yummy sit down restaraunts, either in the park or City Walk. We have found it to be less crowded this way, plus it gives a good break in the day. We then either go back to the parks for a bit or return to the resort. We use the club level for "dinner", then head back to the parks. So, is club financially worth it? It is for us. And club at PBH? Bacon and scrambled eggs are currently on the menu.

I would not book a "throwaway" room- it would take too much unecessary time to check in/check out. We have only stayed once at HRH, but our family prefers the more relaxing vibe at both RPH and PBP.

Consider getting one annual pass- it could potentially reduce your room rates.

Enjoy planning. Know that there really isn't a wrong move at Universal! Just consider what would be best for your family, ask questions, read trip reports, and make a decision.

We are going back in November- 4 nights at PBH club, and 2 nights at CB family suite. Can't wait!

Thank you! This is helpful! We are still on the fence about club level, but pretty much know we want PBH. If we decide not to do club level, would a standard room still be plenty big enough? Also, did you find the club level at PBH too out of the way? Finally, PBH is huge! Are we better off spending a little more money and reserving a bay view to be near the boat launch? It’s difficult to know what area of the resort to request having never stayed there before.

Thanks for the tip about the AP and we were thinking of doing that. I have been checking the rates for mid-January and don’t see an AP rate yet. Any idea when they will offer it if they do?

Did you prefer the resort atmosphere better at PBH, the room or both? The only draw for me with HRH is the proximity to the park and the extra actual room space. Based on the pictures, though, I really like the resort theming and the bathroom space in the room at PBH.
We enjoyed the resort atmosphere it was very relaxing. We had a standard queen room with a garden view it was plenty big and the bathroom was huge. We were right next door to the starbucks and the shop next door where we could grab breakfast then jump on the boat. The pizza place was really good too. The pool had a slide and these padded lounge chairs that made it feel luxurious.

"If we decide not to do club level, would a standard room still be plenty big enough?"

Yes, the standard room is still 450 square feet. The shower is a tub/shower combo. In the deluxe room (which all clubs are supposed to be), there is a separate tub/shower. I really liked this during the summer months- we could keep the laundry line out over the tub, drying swimsuits and clothing victims of water rides.

"Also, did you find the club level at PBH too out of the way?"

Only on the one night we had to walk back in the rain because the boats weren't running. In fact, the "out of the way" is one of our draws. For perspective- it is less "out of the way" than Polynesian is to the Magic Kingdom.

"Finally, PBH is huge! Are we better off spending a little more money and reserving a bay view to be near the boat launch? It’s difficult to know what area of the resort to request having never stayed there before."

I've never requested and area/ paid for a view, so I don't know how to help here. Yes, it can be more of a hike to the boat dock from parts of the hotel.

"Thanks for the tip about the AP and we were thinking of doing that. I have been checking the rates for mid-January and don’t see an AP rate yet. Any idea when they will offer it if they do?"

There is a wonderful sitcky in this forum called "APH Rates are Currently Available" It tells you when they are available through (currently December), and a link on the the first post to use when you are checking the rates.

Enjoy planning! Happy to answer any and all questions- and remember- there is not a wrong answer, just a preference.

For us, the atmosphere at PBH is higher end. A little stuffy, decor not to my taste. Lacks atmosphere. Just my opinions. Its definitely beautiful and unique, but not relaxing and fun to us. HRH is more upbeat, has more "goings on" and the staff has a laidback "cool guy" vibe that I like. I can shoot the breeze with any staff member there and they somehow can be informal like an old friend but professional at the same time. Very different than the customer service formality we usually see at higher end resorts like these.

All of this said, $100 more per night is a lot. Unless its only 1-2 nights, I'm not sure I could justify that much of a price increase. PBH would suit us fine if the cost difference was significant.

We enjoyed the resort atmosphere it was very relaxing. We had a standard queen room with a garden view it was plenty big and the bathroom was huge. We were right next door to the starbucks and the shop next door where we could grab breakfast then jump on the boat. The pizza place was really good too. The pool had a slide and these padded lounge chairs that made it feel luxurious. For perspective- it is less "out of the way" than Polynesian is to Magic Kingdom

Thank you for describing the resort. We’re convinced now. We loved the location of the Polynesian, so I’m sure we’ll be happy with PBH! I’ll check out the sticky for the AP rates as well.

Last edited:
If you are staying at PBH, I'd suggest looking at the resort map then phoning a bit ahead to request a certain wing. Bayview only means you are getting a bay view and there are a lot of rooms facing the bay. We stayed in the West Wing and it was a great location for us - right out the door to the boat launch, close to the start of the path to walk to the parks and close to the main pool. Also just a short walk across the piazza for Starbucks : ). We had a garden view room and ended up with a partial view of the pool. Room was very large so would definitely be room to put a rollaway or air mattress. And as others have said, the bathroom was gigantic. We really loved PBH when we stayed at it in March - it was DH, myself and our 12 year old DS. We ate at Sal's a couple of times and really enjoyed the pizza. We never found the walk that long - I thought it was actually a really nice walk. We also did stay at RPR for a night at the end of our trip (after going out to the coast) and loved it too, but 3 in a room is a lot easier than 5 too so the size of the room was not an issue for us.

We stayed at Portofino Bay in August 2018 in a club level 2-queen room. Having requested a room closer to the club lounge, we were happy to get a room in the Villa wing on the same floor as the lounge. We had a partial view of the bay. We took a high rise airbed (appx. 16.5 inches high) and my teenage DD, who wanted to have her own bed, slept on it. The room was very spacious and there was plenty of space to put the airbed.

When walking to the parks from Portofino Bay, we took the path that cuts through the Hard Rock parking lot, as suggested by this board. It was an easy walk and was much faster than walking along the waterways.

We've stayed at all of the three deluxe hotels. All three are great hotels. We're going back to the Portofino for our upcoming trip - primarily because my sister's family is coming along (they are a family of 5). The extra space is worth it IMO.

Also if you plan on taking advantage of the pool, we prefer Portofino over the other two resorts --- this is especially true when comes to the HRH.
On a side note: if the pool is important, and you plan to stay at Portofino, I would suggest you request that your room be on the side of the hotel (wing) that has the "main" pool. It's a long walk to the main pool from the "other" wing of the hotel.

The downside to Portofino is the distance/walk to the parks. The boats are always running; in my opinion, you'll be fine.

If you're still taking votes :-) .... then I say, stay at Portofino. That being said, no choice will be a bad one.

Have fun! The Potter experiences are fantastic - your kids will love it! :love:

We've stayed at all of the three deluxe hotels. All three are great hotels. We're going back to the Portofino for our upcoming trip - primarily because my sister's family is coming along (they are a family of 5). The extra space is worth it IMO.

Also if you plan on taking advantage of the pool, we prefer Portofino over the other two resorts --- this is especially true when comes to the HRH.
On a side note: if the pool is important, and you plan to stay at Portofino, I would suggest you request that your room be on the side of the hotel (wing) that has the "main" pool. It's a long walk to the main pool from the "other" wing of the hotel.

The downside to Portofino is the distance/walk to the parks. The boats are always running; in my opinion, you'll be fine.

If you're still taking votes :-) .... then I say, stay at Portofino. That being said, no choice will be a bad one.

Have fun! The Potter experiences are fantastic - your kids will love it! :love:

Thank you! We’ve already firmly decided on PBH. Which side/area has the main pool? Is that the same as the beach pool?

Thank you! We’ve already firmly decided on PBH. Which side/area has the main pool? Is that the same as the beach pool?

Yes, sorry about that, it's "the beach" pool. I couldn't remember the name. I'm assuming that's the one your kids would be most interested in. It's the one with sand, slide / castle-ruin.

We have stayed at all three and HRH is our favorite due to walking distance to parks. However, PBH room size is awesome! I just booked a 3 night stay with AP rate at PBH for mid Dec for a parlor suite with attached 2 queens for our party of 6 for much less per night than our planned Poly split stay.
The AP also gives discounts for dining, etc.

Last edited:
We have stayed at all three and HRH is our favorite due to walking distance to parks. However, PBH room size is awesome! I just booked a 3 night stay with AP rate at PBH for mid Dec for a parlor suite with attached 2 queens for our party of 6 for much less per night than our planned Poly split stay.
The AP also gives discounts for dining, etc.

Thank you! I’ve been keeping an eye out for an AP discount on our January trip.

So, I called PBH to request the west wing and a rollaway, but the changes were not updated on my reservation on line. Should I expect to see them there at some point?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!