RTeetz Gets Marathon Weekend Facepaint: BREAKING NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!

Which facepaint option do YOU want to see RTeetz sport during Marathon Weekend?

• Total voters
The owners of the DISboards do a lot for GKTW (in fact, they're doing a fundraising campaign right now), which is why many of us didn't need an explanation of what it is.
I'll try to explain briefly, though ...
Have you ever seen a family at WDW wearing "Make a Wish" shirts? In case you were curious ... they're not staying at a Disney hotel. They're staying at Give Kids the World (GKTW) Village.
GKTW Village houses MAW families and other kids with serious illnesses (all at no cost to the family), and provides medical facilities, activities, and many other things for these kids and their families.
A quick Google search can probably give you more info.
It's fine if you didn't know what GKTW was before today, but maybe next time do a quick google search before accusing us of choosing a random charity. Panda and Keels are just trying to help some kids and their families enjoy their Disney vacations as much as we do.
Thanks - I think. o_O

I am not sure how a Google search would have made it clear to me that Dis was doing something with them right now.

The net of it is you’re just donating to a charity. If you think GKTW is a worthwhile cause then the face painting really shouldn’t matter. Ryan agreed to it and it’s not a dangerous or illegal thing so those are harmless byproducts. Not sure why it matters which thing came first.

I think he deserves credit for taking something I don’t think he really wants to do and turning it into a way to raise money for a cause.
This summarizes it well.

So if we already donated to GKTW for the dis unplugged 1000th episode, can we count that donation to the face paint donation?

I think it’s always a smart move to look into a charity before you donate. Good to know where your money is going.

This is very good advice. You never know when a fundraiser will turn out to be like the one for the guy who tried and failed to complete 50 IM races in 50 days. He ended up giving something like 85% of the donations to himself for expenses and the rest to the charity.

I think it’s always a smart move to look into a charity before you donate. Good to know where your money is going.
Yep! I know this trainer that would have fundraisers for cancer research and MS, which are great causes, but he would donate the money in his name and get the tax benefit. One year he raised over $15,000 and I really don't know for sure all the money went to the charities. I stopped going to the fundraisers and will donate to the charities directly now.

I stated earlier in this thread something to the effect of, “getting my face painted seems like a good bit of fun, if I were attending I’d definitely get my face painted.”

Well, I’m still of the same mindset...so if this goes off and Pandamonium 2019 is official I’ll commit to being at DATW at least long enough to have my face painted. Like I said before, I’ll likely have a beard this trip so I’m leaning toward the ice queen/Elsa (or whatever generic name they’ve given it) look. This will likely make it a little easier to convince my family to divert some of our Epcot time.

I am now looking into the charity. I certainly hope that no one thinks differently of this fund raising effort because of my comments.
I already knew what GKTW was and I am not bothered by your comments. Given that a lot of people wanted pandamonium 2019 to happen, it's important to make sure that this is truly raising money for a charitable cause and not paying any adult to get face paint at Disney World for humorous purposes.

I think it's very smart for anyone to do their homework especially with charitable contributions. When donating to disaster relief efforts, I always choose the humanitarian aid wing of my Church. It's an IRS recognized charity and is regularly audited to verify that funds are used for their intended purposes.

In case anyone cares, there is an actual designation of 501(c)(3). This means that the charity in question has received approval from the IRS to be recognized as a charity meaning that donations to it are tax deductible if applicable to your situation in the U.S.

Absolutely. There are literally organizations that received IRS approval and their charitable purpose is making their own fanfiction movies about fictional TV shows and movies and putting them on the internet.

So if we already donated to GKTW for the dis unplugged 1000th episode, can we count that donation to the face paint donation?
I say we leave this up to @rteetz and any one else who volunteers to get their face painted if a certain amount is raised.

This is very good advice. You never know when a fundraiser will turn out to be like the one for the guy who tried and failed to complete 50 IM races in 50 days. He ended up giving something like 85% of the donations to himself for expenses and the rest to the charity.
That's what I like about this one. From what I've read thus far, @Keels is working with GKTW to establish a platform where money is donated directly to GTKW, but they will tell her how much is raised in this specific effort so that we can determine who gets face paint.

In case anyone cares, there is an actual designation of 501(c)(3). This means that the charity in question has received approval from the IRS to be recognized as a charity meaning that donations to it are tax deductible if applicable to your situation in the U.S.

Yeah ... but there are 501c3s that I wouldn't give my money to. (I worked for a 501c3 at one point in time ... there's no way we managed our money well, and while I wouldn't fault people who believed in what we did for donating, I also wouldn't donate)

Absolutely. There are literally organizations that received IRS approval and their charitable purpose is making their own fanfiction movies about fictional TV shows and movies and putting them on the internet.

*erases her browser history before anyone sees what sites she visits*

In all seriousness ... it's important to do research before donating to a charity and make sure it's an organization you believe in. I understand that not everyone wants to donate to every cause or fundraiser, and that's perfectly fine. You decide what to do with your money.
What I don't understand is why anyone would criticize someone else's fundraiser because they didn't like what was being done or the charity benefiting from it. If you don't like a fundraiser, don't donate. If you really don't understand why a particular fundraiser is happening or why a particular charity was chosen, there are ways to ask that don't dismiss the fundraiser as ridiculous (for example, something like "I've never heard of this charity, how have they personally impacted you?" or "Why did you chose this particular fundraiser? What does it mean to you?").
(This is especially true on the internet, where tone of voice doesn't exist and if your comments aren't phrased carefully, someone will take them the wrong way)

Couple of quick things -

1. I'm working with Courtney at GKTW to set up how to handle all of this. Donations will be made directly to them on a private fundraising page - so the money goes straight to GKTW and they can use it at their discretion. This site will also provide donors with receipts for tax purposes (aka why most places petition for a 501(c)3 designation), for those of you who care about those kinda things come tax time. This is an example of what our Fundraising Page will look like.

2. NONE of this money raised will go towards any of the DATW Shenanigans. Since I'm the one being such a beating about face painting, *I* will personally pay for the face-painting for @rteetz and any others who are willing to do it in effort to raise money for this very worthy cause and as part of our celebratory fun during DATW. #PutItOnMyMagicBand.

3. We've also discussed things like buttons, shirts, etc., for people that donate at certain levels - again, any assumed cost for these items will come out of *MY* pocketbook - not a single dime will be taken from the fundraising. Also, the only information that myself or anyone else visiting the Fundraising page will be able to see is what YOU make visible - your real name, your handle, your donation amount, etc.

4. Donating is not a requirement to participate in DATW or any other event the group is planning during the weekend. Want to donate? Awesome! Don't want to? No worries. It was just a fun idea that Ryan and I came up with

5. Someone mentioned personal impact - for those not familiar with GTKW or haven't had a personal experience with the group yet, Courtney passed this along to share:
Again, thank you for thinking of Give Kids The World. Your generosity is helping kids like Alex, whose mom had this to say about their trip to GKTW,

“When you have a child with cancer, you come to find that the little things you grasp onto because you really aren’t promised anything. You put thoughts of vacations and special experiences in a box and you put that box somewhere in a closet where it’s difficult to find so that you can forget about a life you believe you won’t be fortunate enough to have. Throughout this journey we have often times wanted to fast forward through life and treatments to get to the finish line and just put the past behind us. On this trip we wanted to bottle it all up and just freeze time.”
Anyway. That's all I've got. I didn't expect a simple idea to raise money for a very worthy cause would turn into such a #HotTake discussion, but here we are.

I didn't expect a simple idea to raise money for a very worthy cause would turn into such a #HotTake discussion, but here we are.
I didn't expect me posting an honest opinion would do this or I would have kept my thoughts to myself. I honestly thought that we know one another well enough here that it wouldn't be taken as it was. I was wrong. Not my first or last mistake.

I didn't expect me posting an honest opinion would do this or I would have kept my thoughts to myself. I honestly thought that we know one another well enough here that it wouldn't be taken as it was. I was wrong. Not my first or last mistake.
I don't think your comments were bad. I am sure others who haven't posted were questioning the idea as well. Our intentions here are trying our best to do some good. I am really not a fan of me getting my face painted for others enjoyment however putting some meaning behind it makes me reconsider which is why we came up with this idea.

Couple of quick things -

1. I'm working with Courtney at GKTW to set up how to handle all of this. Donations will be made directly to them on a private fundraising page - so the money goes straight to GKTW and they can use it at their discretion. This site will also provide donors with receipts for tax purposes (aka why most places petition for a 501(c)3 designation), for those of you who care about those kinda things come tax time. This is an example of what our Fundraising Page will look like.

2. NONE of this money raised will go towards any of the DATW Shenanigans. Since I'm the one being such a beating about face painting, *I* will personally pay for the face-painting for @rteetz and any others who are willing to do it in effort to raise money for this very worthy cause and as part of our celebratory fun during DATW. #PutItOnMyMagicBand.

3. We've also discussed things like buttons, shirts, etc., for people that donate at certain levels - again, any assumed cost for these items will come out of *MY* pocketbook - not a single dime will be taken from the fundraising. Also, the only information that myself or anyone else visiting the Fundraising page will be able to see is what YOU make visible - your real name, your handle, your donation amount, etc.

4. Donating is not a requirement to participate in DATW or any other event the group is planning during the weekend. Want to donate? Awesome! Don't want to? No worries. It was just a fun idea that Ryan and I came up with

5. Someone mentioned personal impact - for those not familiar with GTKW or haven't had a personal experience with the group yet, Courtney passed this along to share:
Again, thank you for thinking of Give Kids The World. Your generosity is helping kids like Alex, whose mom had this to say about their trip to GKTW,

“When you have a child with cancer, you come to find that the little things you grasp onto because you really aren’t promised anything. You put thoughts of vacations and special experiences in a box and you put that box somewhere in a closet where it’s difficult to find so that you can forget about a life you believe you won’t be fortunate enough to have. Throughout this journey we have often times wanted to fast forward through life and treatments to get to the finish line and just put the past behind us. On this trip we wanted to bottle it all up and just freeze time.”
Anyway. That's all I've got. I didn't expect a simple idea to raise money for a very worthy cause would turn into such a #HotTake discussion, but here we are.

This is all awesome. And, I actually would call this a #LukeWarmTake since I think by Dis standards this was pretty mild. :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter