Rumor: DinoLand, USA to become Indiana Jones Land?

I have no doubt that's better IP...but I don't think I was making the comparison.

Indiana Jones had faded over time more than Star Wars...and is more tied to one specific person/character than most longterm IP.

That Shia thing didn't go too well, did it?
Nope lol, a short, small framed guy like Shia would look funny in a fedora and leather jacket.....

I have no doubt that's better IP...but I don't think I was making the comparison.

Indiana Jones had faded over time more than Star Wars...and is more tied to one specific person/character than most longterm IP.

That Shia thing didn't go too well, did it?

I don't think its that Shia didn't do well, I think its that the story was terrible...and at this point Shia seems to be a liability to cast in a long term role so its best to recast. James Bond has worked with other actors playing bond, they should just cast a new young actor as Indy and go from there. If the story is good then it doesn't matter.

I don't think its that Shia didn't do well, I think its that the story was terrible...and at this point Shia seems to be a liability to cast in a long term role so its best to recast. James Bond has worked with other actors playing bond, they should just cast a new young actor as Indy and go from there. If the story is good then it doesn't matter.

But that's not how park based IP works...it's used to tie sales and travel planning appeal to a certain legacy.

I'm an Indy fan...I fit all the right demographics for it...and I'd love to see a new, better development of it.

But dak still needs real "anchor" additions that gets butts in parks. I don't think Indiana jones is the right fit both now and moving forward. I think avatar will shake out as simply a diversion (which was the smart money from the start)...and whatever (if ever) they do next needs not to fall anywhere in that type of category. It would be more bandaids when stitches are needed.

I also don't trust Kathy Kennedy to handle a reboot the right way. She's caught in some kind of Hollywood purgatory between 4 players with their own agendas.

They already have Asia and Africa, it might be compelling to have Cairo and work Indiana jones into that.

Disney for the love of all things holy just give us The Beastly Kingdom already. Then make a movie about whatever dragon/unicorn/griffin is the star of the show. Give us a land dedicated to cryptozoology and the real animals that inspired them.

Saw the orginal models at town hall in MK when AK was in the planning stages -- it showed two parks with one being unicorns, dragons, etc. In fact the images can still be seen in the gates over the entrance. Never did follow through on that.

They already have Asia and Africa, it might be compelling to have Cairo and work Indiana jones into that.
So are you suggesting an Indy based Miniland in AFrica then? Cairo is in Africa so as you stated we already have that in the park. Wouldn't make sense to have Cairo be a seperate area of the park form Africa.

This one has 2 parts to make it work, first you need to convert AK to Indy, and secondly move indy out of DHS. The indy theatre could be used for many other things at DHS, which makes sense. However, I think the IP belongs in DHS.
The immersive natural environment at AK supports Indy, but really other than that it doesn't fit. It could fit as one attraction, but not a whole land. I could see Indy theatre at AK, as the only indy related product. Mix it it with some archeological attractions like Dinosaurs etc. I think DinoLand fits at AK, but maybe the chester and hesters portion could be re imagined a bit more. I'd rather see a more immersive land with an environment similar to what might have been when Dinosaurs roamed the earth.

This one has 2 parts to make it work, first you need to convert AK to Indy, and secondly move indy out of DHS. The indy theatre could be used for many other things at DHS, which makes sense. However, I think the IP belongs in DHS.
The immersive natural environment at AK supports Indy, but really other than that it doesn't fit. It could fit as one attraction, but not a whole land. I could see Indy theatre at AK, as the only indy related product. Mix it it with some archeological attractions like Dinosaurs etc. I think DinoLand fits at AK, but maybe the chester and hesters portion could be re imagined a bit more. I'd rather see a more immersive land with an environment similar to what might have been when Dinosaurs roamed the earth.

Why not a whole land. You retheme Dinosaur with a south American Temple theme, bring the Indy coaster from Paris, retheme the boneyard to a archeology dig theme, and bring rainforest trails with animals like in Africa and Asia. Probably need to take out the Nemo theater to do this though.

Why not a whole land. You retheme Dinosaur with a south American Temple theme, bring the Indy coaster from Paris, retheme the boneyard to a archeology dig theme, and bring rainforest trails with animals like in Africa and Asia. Probably need to take out the Nemo theater to do this though.
The coaster from Paris is based on temple of doom which takes place in India. So in order to do this they would have to rethemed the ride somehow, maybe just bring raging spirits over from Tokyo Disney sea and make the que for the ride Indy as that's all that is really needed.

It's a neat IP, that has much potential. However, I think most of this rumor is based on the Disneyland Indy ride being the same type as Dinosaur, and hoping that it could be a quick retheme.
I think by the time you re-theme the whole area for Indy, you've eclipsed(some reason that word comes to mind today) the costs of just making the Dinoland area better. The theme is good, Dinosaur the attraction is good. The boneyard is good. Heck even triceritop spin is good for what it is. Prime evil Whirl is lame, mostly due to the height requirement, it sort of misses it's target.
I think lose the chester and hester and double down on dino attractions, or segway it into fantastical beasts(mythic beasts may be cheaper than Australian ones). It would keep the front half of the park night time friendly. Anything new in that park really should be able to go into the night. I'm thinking you could do a classic dark boat ride or omni mover that is a bit more edutainment, and a little less in your face. That would appeal to all ages, and it would move plenty of people through. Then you replace prime evil with a gravity thrill ride, that can serve the 42"+ crowd.
Summary, net +1 on attractions, a little lipstick on a pig, profit.

Saw the orginal models at town hall in MK when AK was in the planning stages -- it showed two parks with one being unicorns, dragons, etc. In fact the images can still be seen in the gates over the entrance. Never did follow through on that.
They didn't follow through because Universal stole their ideas when they built Islands of Adventure with a suspended dragon coaster and another ride themed to unicorns. So years later we finally got mythical beasts at AK where Beastly Kingdom was supposed to go. They are just of a Jim Cameron sort instead of the original more generic dragons and unicorns.

Hmmm, that's an interesting rumour. While I imagined Indy to stay in Hollywood Studios, I can see I kinda working in Animal Kingdom.

Could dinosaur be turned into the Indy ride from California easily?

I could see an Indy land and Pandora help really even the crowds out from everyone on the planet going to galaxies edge.

Yes it could. It is the same track, just different guts. ;)

I saw the following earlier tonight and after reading through the Primeval Whirl thread:

https://orlandoinformer.com/blog/indiana-jones-land-animal-kingdom/

It's an interesting rumor - one that not only replaces (the oft maligned) DinoLand with a ready IP, but can be done relatively easily in the existing space (similar to Pixar pier) and converting existing rides (notably DinoSaur).

Without commenting on whether this is a good idea or whether Indiana Jones belongs in AK, it almost makes too much sense for that area. I have to confess I'd visit there more than the current DinoLand.

I would not be upset about this one, personally. Other than Dinosaur, we skip the rest of Dinoland.

Just throwing this out there: I would love to see the excavator coaster built if they redo dinoland. Although maybe not as a wooden coaster, because they're rougher than normal coasters I would think it would get a lot of complaints from riders a la mission space.

Why must wooden coasters look so good but hurt so bad :(

Many modern wooden coasters are very smooth themselves. Companies like GCI can make great one. They could also go the route of having someone like RMC do a hybrid coaster for it too. I do think that the Excavator coaster would be great and could help keep the dino theme alive while tying into an archaelogical theme to fit Indy into the area as well. It would also give the park a unique new ride instead off a clone, and an attraction not based solely off an IP. They could tie Indy into it but wound't be necessary.

Ideally I think it'd be nice to see the area rethemed to South America (to go along with Asia and Africa) then retheme it to have a ruins/archaeology theme to it. This could allow them to work Indy in well without having it be themed solely to him, still keep dinosaurs involved to keep them at the park and pay homage to the original land, and then build a new area themed to rainforest/Amazon to bring in more animals for that locale such as leopards, pirhana, anaconda, poison dart frogs, tamarins, etc.

Last edited:
They didn't follow through because Universal stole their ideas when they built Islands of Adventure with a suspended dragon coaster and another ride themed to unicorns. So years later we finally got mythical beasts at AK where Beastly Kingdom was supposed to go. They are just of a Jim Cameron sort instead of the original more generic dragons and unicorns.

Oh for goodness sake, Disney so easily gets their feelings hurt LOL. They could have easilly built a fantasy land that would have topped Universal having a couple of mythical creature rides.

okay hearing more and more this is very, very blue sky.

Per multiple insiders most say Dinosaur is safe, but PW and TS are potential gonners for another E ticket ride, but this is 5-6 years out and no way approved or even really deeply designed.

I do think those rides / that area could be better ... though I am starting to get worried about this focus on nothing but "E-ticket" attractions ... and every new land seems to just have a couple of big rides. Maybe I am just more aware/focused on this as I have little kids, but there is some value in having some smaller rides with less wait that kids can get on, etc. .... I know we have gone on Triceratops spin as something to do with the little kids when the older ones/parents take turns on the bigger rides. If they replace those two rides with one E-Ticket with a height restriction than the only thing in that area little kids can do is the boneyard - which is weird for an area based on dinosaurs which most kids love

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter