Rumor: Primeval Whirl to close for re-theming 2018-19

intertile

DIS Veteran
On August 4th I cam across a youtube video on "AMagicProduction" channel that discussed a closure of and re-theme of Dino Land USA. It originally sounded far fetched, but today a ran across an article in the Orlando Weekly that discussed expansion plots in Pandora, and the same re-theming of Dino Land USA. Has anyone credible talked about this?

I'd like to see dinoland reimagined but not eliminated. Unless it was for Australia then I could probably get over it

Here's the article, and it states a few sources (some are the "gods" of WDWMagic), and Australia is mentioned for park (and makes lots of sense there as does SA mention since those regions are more about landscape than architecture, Epcot needs architecture) ... who knows what will happen.

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs...ajor-updates-coming-to-disneys-animal-kingdom

Hope they wait until we visit in 2018. I'm tired of going and having attractions or entire sections of a park be closed.

I'd be fine with keeping the existing land Dinosaur themed, although I'd prefer they:
1. Blow up the horribly cheap Dino-Rama and put a Disney quality outdoor family coaster in its place instead of an off-the-shelf crazy mouse, a dumbo clone, and some county fair games.
2. Revamp CTX completely to have many more lit scenes instead of mainly bouncing around in the dark.

If they're going to build an Australia or South America section, I'd much prefer they use the giant expansion spot between Asia and Rafiki's Planet Watch / Africa instead of just re-theming an existing area. Knowing Disney, though, I'm sure they'll take the re-theming route if they decide to do this instead of doing a true park expansion.

The last time I rode Primeval Whirl I needed a chiropractor. I'm all for a reimagining.

My daughter and I rode it in December. It was my least favorite ride we did the whole week. Now granted I have learned over the years not to ride Mission Space and others, so it may not be the least rideable ride in the Parks for me, but it is absolutely the most uncomfortable and not fun ride I tried. That one can now join the no-go list.

I'd be fine with keeping the existing land Dinosaur themed, although I'd prefer they:
1. Blow up the horribly cheap Dino-Rama and put a Disney quality outdoor family coaster in its place instead of an off-the-shelf crazy mouse, a dumbo clone, and some county fair games.
2. Revamp CTX completely to have many more lit scenes instead of mainly bouncing around in the dark.

If they're going to build an Australia or South America section, I'd much prefer they use the giant expansion spot between Asia and Rafiki's Planet Watch / Africa instead of just re-theming an existing area. Knowing Disney, though, I'm sure they'll take the re-theming route if they decide to do this instead of doing a true park expansion.

I just would be shocked if we got more than one "new" land so it might be a compromise to retheme Dinoland while keeping the Dinosaur ride somehow, then building new land out in the open space. Since Chester/Hester is the eyesore of the park but the older part there is fine, I could see them adding the attraction, the regional theme and that be cohesive with Africa and Asia. There is more in the world that would fit well into Animal Kingdom (vs Epcot not that I expect any more countries there).

I have long said they needed Australia at AK and move Living Seas to AK. Move the Nemo show to the new area. It would be an awesome addition to add the water creatures to the park.

My family has a lot of fun on Primeval, but I can understand others not liking it. It's definitely not smooth, but that's so much of the fun.

The whole area is an interesting idea, but it's certainly an oddball in that park. The carnival games, while they fit the theme, do give you an odd sense for a Disney attraction. They could do better.

I'm sure Disney thought they were being genius when they added Dino-rama - "Guests want elaborately themed areas and we want to spend as little as possible - if we just make the area 'cheap' themed, everybody can get their way!"

Biggest DINO found in Argentina ............. turn Dinoland into South America with focus on dinosaurs, they had some cool ones. Add some regional eats, music, small animals and the new attraction.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...same-boeing-737-biggest-ever-found/546630001/

In theory, this would make sense, but a South American Dinosaur-themed land would be dangerously close to Jurassic Park (which takes place in Central America), minus the extremely popular Jurassic Park IP. I feel like it's probably in Disney's best interest to stay away from dinosaurs altogether because it's just too easy for Universal to win that battle. Just like I wouldn't advise Disney to build some IP-less UK-based wizard-themed land

Disney should probably just change DINOSAR to IJ and then demolish the rest of Dinoland and build it into South America from scratch.

In theory, this would make sense, but a South American Dinosaur-themed land would be dangerously close to Jurassic Park (which takes place in Central America), minus the extremely popular Jurassic Park IP. I feel like it's probably in Disney's best interest to stay away from dinosaurs altogether because it's just too easy for Universal to win that battle. Just like I wouldn't advise Disney to build some IP-less UK-based wizard-themed land

Disney should probably just change DINOSAR to IJ and then demolish the rest of Dinoland and build it into South America from scratch.

They already have dinosaurs and I think the only reason folks don't like the area is due to the carnival addition. It's the Animal Kingdom ... and dinosaurs were a very big part of the evolution of animals. They didn't create an IP-less land, they created an extinct animal land. Hester/Chester were not part of the original plan. The land is very popular with kids because they love dinos, and parents like the playground area.

IJ has nothing to do with animals ... other than snakes. I don't want the park to lose focus of the animals and conservation. If they want an IJ Land they need to bulldoze Star Tours, Backlot, Indiana Jones Show, backstage and create a Lucas Land or something at Studios.

Love me some DINOSAUR, hope they figure out how to re-theme without getting rid of it.

I can imagine Dinoland being the next on the list. Of course there are rumors about Rafiki's Planet Watch and Pandora expansions, but I think Dinoland will now be a top priority. Nothing inmediate though... Rohde is busy at the moment with the Marvel team.

Australia would be interesting, not sure if it has been noted or if it is still on Disney's site. But there is/was a casting call for residents of Australia, maybe that is a clue of what is to come?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter