Just read my journal from the start to the finish and started adding some of my favorite quotes to the multi quote. So I guess this is my highlight real.

Thanks so much! I love "If you want it, PROVE IT..." It's like the action version of "If you can dream it, you can do it." :-). As it stands my goals are as follows (full disclosure some of them are a little big for where I am now).

1) A run every month in 2018.
2)A 30 min 5k
3) Not only am I going to go kill that same 4 miler in September this year, but I'd love to do the big event at that race (a 10 miler).
4)Half Marathon by December 2018
5) runDisney Marathon in 2019
6) Dopey 2020ish
Then my ultimate bucket list one day hopefully.... Boston.

In fact, all of you guys are so nice to actually take time out of your day to give me advice and motivation. I can't begin to articulate how much this has meant to me! Especially when I've looked at some of your training journals and seen your laundry lists of accomplishments. It blows my mind that runners that are so accomplished would take time out of their day to help me… It also gives me the thing I needed most and that’s accountability!

Welp - 1st run is done! 1.6 miles in 26 mins. During the run I felt awful. I was cold, I could barley breath and I'm pretty sure I tasted blood at one point.... Then I got home, warmed up a little and felt like doing it again. I realized all of my struggle was with the weather, and not the running. YAY!! I'm pretty sure that I didn't have to start the couch to 5k training plan all over, so I may skip around a little.. but for now, I'm just happy to be running again!

Week 2 day 2 - check!! Today I braved the gym instead of the weather and I really hate running on the treadmill. However, on run 1 that I realized I was missing 1 very important piece of cold running gear - something to cover my mouth!! So I ordered a little mask thingy (Balaclava I think??). It'll be here by Thursday for my next run :-). I did 1.84 miles in 32:39 today on the rolling hills setting! (BTW Rolling hills implies that at some point you would go down hill... that is not the case o_O)

So I have a bit of a delima. As you know, one of my goals is to run a race every month this year. In January, I'm doing a virtual 5k. In February, my 5k training will be complete so I want to do a race that's actually chip timed and with other people. There is only 1 remotely close to me in February and it's a trail run which I've never done before. I'm obviously still early enough in my training to incorporate some trail running, but I have never done any research and wouldn't know where to begin. Don't you need different running gear? I've heard people use different shoes and everything - am I overthinking this?! What would you guys do? Would you try and do the trail run with the atmosphere and the official time or would you do another virtual 5k and skip the trail run. There are a couple local 5ks in March, but I was kind of hoping to do a 10k by then (half running half walking of course with a full on running 10k in April). Thoughts, advice and suggestions?

So in order to get myself to the gym (for the 2nd run in a row - grr) I’ve decided to list out my “why.”

• If I train for a marathon, my husband will be so proud that he will not care about the cost and I will get an extra trip to Disney in order to run through the castle.
  • Once I get to the higher miles, I’ll pretty much be able to eat whatever I want (within reason).
  • I like to shock people. I can’t wait to see the looks on their faces when I start listing off a laundry list of running achievements. The street cred for Marathoners is real.
  • I’ve experienced “runners high” - it’s real and I want to feel it again and as often as possible.
  • I like the alone time.
  • If I get a good fitness base now, then hopefully my body will only be a little wrecked whenever I decide to have a kid (Moms in the room, I beg of you… do not pop this bubble for me).
  • I really really really love getting the medals and t-shirts!
  • Because I can.

Fave Disney song or any song? Lately mine is Good to be Alive by Andy Grammar. I like that towards the end of long runs. I'm with ya on the 20° thing.

Any song! I just looked up this Alive song and it is now on my playlist so thanks for that! I can't wait to run to it!!

I Love running more than my fear of the doctor.

Anyway - I guess I’m nervous about this 5k because I know it’s the first step towards much bigger goals and it’s me saying I’m actually doing this… No turning back now.

Braver Than You Believe Virtual 5k Race Recap!!pooh:

5k in 47:46!!

KM Time Pace

1 8:46 8:46 :moped:

2 17:49 9:01

3 29:03 11:13 :confused3

4 38:05 9:02

5 47:39 9:34:cheer2:

You're never as bad as you're worst run, but your best run is never a fluke. No matter how much you run, you'll have bad runs from time to time. Just remember that it isn't an assessment on your progress. It just merely happens. So I always have to remind myself to step back and learn from it. Why did these things happen and what can I do to make them better the next time? Just put it behind you and move on. Better days are ahead.

I learned Sunday that there’s a difference between being tired/sore and going for a run and being in pain and going for a run and I want to make sure that I apply the lesson that I learned. It’s just all a little easier said than done.

I’m a planner! I like it that way and I refuse to change it! That said, why can I not sign up for the Virtual Running Shorts yet?!!! And if I can’t sign up for it… why won’t they tell us what this year’s theme is… uhhhg! Any who.. I’ve just finished planning out most of my year so I thought I’d share some of the important dates. Am I the only neurotic one with their year planned out like this?! Please tell me I’m not.

Jan -
0 -5k training plan starts 12/31/17.
Braver than you believe virtual 5k on 1/19/18 (done)
Feb -
5k training plan ends 2/18/18.
Humble Creek Trail Run (5k) 2/24/18.
10k Training starts 2/27/18
March -
3/24/18 - Color Run 5k
April -
4/4/18 10k training ends
4/7/18 Victory at York Town 10k
4/11/18 - This is when I kind of get to do my own thing. I’m planning to work out every other day and every other work out will be a 60 min run and the alternate will be some type of cross training.
May -
5/5/18 - Girls on the run 5k.
June -
6/9/18 - runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
July -
7/1/18 - Half Marathon training starts!!!!
7/8/18 - runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
Aug-
8/12/18 -runDisney Virtual Running Shorts
Sep-
9/22/18 - Half Marathon training plan ends (sort of).
9/29/18 - Virginia 10 miler!
Oct-
10/7/18 - Half marathon training starts again… So I’m going to go back and start on week 8 of the half marathon training plan and run through the 2nd half again before my actual half marathon.
-- Race yet to be determined.

Nov-
11/10/18 - Half Marathon training ends again…
11/18/17 - Mayberry Half Marathon
Dec -
- Christmas town 8k dash at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Date has not been announced yet.

Everything is still there for the taking. You can do it. I believe in you.

I'm sorry that you've been struggling, but you definitely do not need to apologize for sharing your feelings! Just remember, you are on a journey - the goal isn't to run a marathon tomorrow, but to get a little closer to your goals. You are doing amazing and improving every week!

You know, one reason I love reading journals is for those moments when people share their failures. Because, if we are honest, it happens to all of us. Those days when you just don't want to do it and then sometimes you don't. BUT and this is the important part, you learn from that and you learn that when you are open and share it with other like-minded encouraging people, they prop you up and make you want to do better the next time. Keeping a journal is great for accountability. There has been more than once when I wanted to skip a run that part of what got me out of bed in the dark and cold was that I didn't want to admit to skipping the run on my journal. :D

Learn to listen to your body too. It takes time sometimes to differentiate between tired and sore (which you can push through) and pre-injury (don't push through!), but in time, you can learn to tell the difference - at least most of the time. You are doing great and I'm excited to read your continuing journey.

I’ve learned that living in the moment can be just as motivational than planning goals far ahead. I realized that one of the reasons I haven’t been “loving it” as much is because I’m planning and getting so pumped for my half marathon in November. I learned that it’s kind of hard to be excited about running 2 miles when your goal is 13.1 and really 26.2 eventually. Of course planning ahead and setting big goals is just as important but I think that living in the moment and getting excited about my upcoming 5k is just as important.

3.1 miles are easy! It’s the 7 weeks leading up to it that is a living hell (but in the best possible way.)

Guys!!! Guys!! Warning this may be an overshare!

Fun fact! I've had this weird rash on my armpit for a little bit.. not really a rash but just kind of itchy and a little raw.

Guess what it is?!! It's chafing!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once I had the realization I started crying my little eyes out with happy tears.

Yep that's right... Happy tears!! Why you say? Because in my messed up little mind, the 36 miles I've ran thus far haven't made me a runner. In fact this is the very first moment that I have felt like a real and true runner!

I realize that this was certainly an odd reaction and possibly quite funny so feel free to laugh at me - trust me I am too.

Question - when did you start truly feeling like a runner?

So I just ran 2.5 miles in 41 mins. 11 mins of that was walking for warm up and cool down.. so I basically ran for 30 mins straight. Definitely my furthest run all in one go but not my fastest by far. I still had a little juice left in the tank and probably could have done a 5k tonight. I just had this super weird feeling that I think is good.

I didn't start off the run telling myself that I could walk if I made it to the half way point. In fact I didn't have to barter with myself at all this run or play any of the other mind games I typically do. It was like I just hit cruise control and went. No muss no fuss.

Anyway, I’m so nervous and excited. I’m not nervous that I won’t finish or anything, I’m pretty confident about that. I am nervous about my goals, though. My A goal is to run the entire thing (no walking) and come in under 45mins. Wednesday’s run was 5k in 48 mins on a relatively flat surface. 35 of that was running – the rest was walking for the warm up and cool down. Tomorrow’s course is described as a “rolling cross country trail.” Depending on what that “rolling” means, my goal is either just the right amount of ambitious or way too crazy. B goal is less than 50mins and no more than 5 mins of walking. I’m also pretty comfortable about that.. but OMG IT’S TOMORROW!! What’s done is done and there is no point in stressing out about it now! Wish me luck y’all!

GUYS!!!!!!!! Don’t let the name fool you! Anyone who finishes the Humble Creek 5k should be anything but humble about the whole thing! This race was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my whole life. In fact, I think it must have been THE hardest thing. Now granted, I have had a great life so far and luckily haven’t had a whole lot of barriers to break through. The bar is pretty low.

This last one isn’t something I’ve necessarily learned - it’s more of an overwhelming feeling that I had. During the humble creek 5k, all of my doubts about not being able to finish a half marathon or the VA 10 miler (which I think will actually be harder than the half because of the hills) went away! I’m sure this feeling is temporary or at a minimum will start to fade once 10k training starts; however, for now - it’s nice.:tiptoe:

I try not to look at the Hogwarts running club stuff because those medals are just too tempting!

Dumbledore's Army Virtual 5k Race Recap!!! Spoiler alert... I crushed my goal!

So today I did the same route as I did for the "braver than you believe" virtual 5k. Mainly because of it's convenient proximity to my house, but also because I wanted to see an apples to apple's improvement. Here's the break down.

Kilo -- Pace -- Time
1k -- 8:20 -- 8:21
2k -- 8:32 -- 16:53
3k -- 8:54 -- 25:47
4k -- 9:04 -- 34:51
5k -- 8:51 -- 43:43

Total time 43:50 (I did 5.02k LOL)

Training Update Week 10! I don’t even want to do this update it’s so embarrassing.

Total miles ran – 3.5
Month to date (March) - 6.8
Year to date – 63.45
Fastest pace this week – 14.33

You know what happened on my run last night? I realized how dumb it was to be embarrassed of sharing week 10. Do you know what I did on week 10?! I set a freaking PR! By definition, I pushed myself harder than I ever have and the results were 5 mins shorter than my current record. After pushing myself so hard, I took a little break.

When you are used to running in a loop, do an out and back course every now and then. It’ll give you a new appreciation for the distance. You realize just how far 2 miles really is. :tiptoe:

Diet makes a huge difference! I’ve cooked every night this week instead of eating out and I just generally felt stronger for my runs (It could be power of suggestion - as a general rule I’m pretty subject to that).

Disney is still a goal of mine, but it was kind of surreal to realize that it's not my driving motivator anymore. And even more surreal than that, I realized that my current driving motivator is simply running and how much I love it and OMG I'm starting to tear up while I type so i'm going stop here!

I’ve been looking at @DopeyBadger’s plans on his journal. I’m in the market for a good 10 miler or half marathon plan. I didn’t realize that they had easy weeks built in - that’s definitely a plus. If I had 1 complaint about the couch to 10k plan, it would be that every single run increases in difficulty. I’ve done a little bit of research about long runs and increasing your mileage by no more than 10% and this plan definitely didn’t follow that rule.

:butterfly Mission Possible Color Run Recap. :butterfly

I only used strava this time so I don’t have my splits by kilometer only by mile.

Total Time - 59:15
Mile 1 - 23:11
Mile 2 - 18:03
Mile 3 15:57
Mile 3.1 - 12:58

Things I learned this week –

Not a fan of trail runs.

GUYS!! I just downloaded the book "Finish - Give yourself the gift of done"by Jon Acuff. I'm only 17 mins into the audio book and I swear this book was written about me. It's all about starting things and not finishing (which I do A LOT). I'm writing about it here, because he just finished talking about "the day after perfect." Basically it boils down to what you do the day after your first mistake in a goal. EX: Say you are trying to eat healthy. Then, on day 12 you forget to pack lunch and have to go to McDonald's. On day 13 you can't quite seem to get back on track.

I think that's what's happened with my running on a smaller scale (since I'm still running a little). I had a near perfect 5k training plan, only missing 3 workouts the entire 8 weeks. Then Humble Creek happened.. I was soo upset that I didn't get to have a normal 5k experience right after the plan that I squeezed in a virtual 5k. That time should have been training, but instead I pushed myself with a hard race effort. Which burnt me out and caused me to skip a few workouts. I think that since all of this happened at the start of my 10k plan, I've always felt behind on the plan. And that feeling of behind has made me think, "well you're mailing in this 10k any way, it won't hurt if you skip this one work out. You are so far behind there is no point really."

Well you know what! NO! That's not how this is going to go. I'm going to pick up my training tomorrow as planned, finish as strong as I can and run my 10k. I realize that was always the plan on paper; however, trust me, there is a mental/emotional commitment that wasn't there before.

Anyway, can't recommend the book yet, I'm only 17 mins in but so far so good!

I’ve felt pretty awful about the March as a whole, but today when I was adding up the miles for this post, I realized that I still ran more than I ran in Jan and Feb. I’ve been less consistent in March which is a problem that needs to be solved sooner than later. However, I still have measurable and undeniable improvement to be happy about! I’m choosing to focus on that going into this weekend. :-)

Try not to discount it mentally. You reached a major milestone. Congrats!

Victory at Yorktown 10k Race Recap

Finish time - 01:42:49

Split Paces

Mile 1-
16:05
Mile 2- 16:23
Mile 3- 16:23
Mile 4 - 14:31
Mile 5 - 16:34
Mile 6- 15:35
Mile .4 (because apparently this was a 10kish) - 14:50

So race-cation begins Friday. We check into our air BnB and are chatting with our friends who came down to the race with us. This little house is super cute and clean. As I was unpacking I tested the bed - it's comfy! Good! Later in the evening, I go to throw something away and bam a roach on the kitchen wall... "no worries" I say "The weather has been crazy, it's cold and wet and this place is super clean. It was definitely just the one." Right before bed, I return to the kitchen to throw something else away. This time, I open the cabinet where the trash can is and there is another one scattering to the trash can!! So my husband kills it and takes out the trash. My friend and I check out beds to make sure no critters are there and we take all the snacks we had brought out to the car. Between the pre-race jitters and the constant feeling that something was crawling on me... I got about 3 hours of sleep.

Race day! It's 49 degrees and raining. It's not heavy rain but it's more than a sprinkle. My friend, Katelyn, and I enter the costume contest and then for the most part we stay in the pre-race tent. I jumped around a little and half way danced to the DJs music hoping this constituted as a proper warm up (it does not). At the finish line, I pop in my headphones turn on Hamilton and strava and get ready to go. The Cannon fires (yep.. they fired a revolutionary war cannon to start this race) and we're off.

I start off faster than I had planned, but I wouldn't say I over did it or anything. We get to the hill and it's pretty steep. I know the data said it wasn't as steep as the hills in the Mission possible run; however, it felt the same. I walk up as planned, but I didn't start running after that. My calf were burning just from walking up that hill and I was already "over" this race because of the rain and wind. I walked the rest of that mile promising my self that I would start running at the 1 mile marker.

I started running at 1 mile but that was short lived due to the second hill. It wasn't as steep but I didn't even try, I just walked it and the rest of that mile. I started running again once I passed the 2 mile marker but stopped for water shortly after and didn't find the energy to start running again. Mile 3 was about the same, I was listening to Hamilton and George Washington's first song was on "we are out gunned, out manned, out numbered, out planned.." and I was starting to get pumped! I tell my self "You may not have finished the 10k plan but you finished the 5k plan. There is no reason why you can't crush the 2nd half of this race." I start visualizing the scene in that football movie where they bring out the new score board for the 2nd half. And my game plan was born. Walk the rest of mile 3 and recover from the little bit of running I have done, and then run the last 5k.

Mile 4 was nothing short of magic. At this point Lafayette had convinced George Washington that he needs his right hand man back. GW gives Alexander the cautionary pep talk/warning that history has it's eyes on him and then the battle at Yorktown begins. I look over to my left and at this exact moment I'm running past none other than "Surrender Field" (where the battle of Yorktown was won!).. I'm going to go ahead and put this one in the books as my all time greatest running moment!

Right after mile 5 began I slowed to a walk for water and didn't start running again until we were close to that big hill in the beginning. This time, I get to go down it :-). Mile 6 and the last little bit, was a combination of run walking. I met up with a group of walkers and we started chatting for the last mile and a half. I sprinted to the finish line where I'm met by my hubs, Katelyn and her her man, Alex. We go into the tent to discover that Katelyn and I won the costume contest!! (We may have been the only 2 people who showed up in costume.. but that just stays between us okay).

I was in quite a bit of pain after the race which is weird because I'm usually not that sore after a run and while I had never done 6 miles before I had done 5 with relatively no soreness afterwards. I pushed my self more and ran more for that 5 miles then I did the 6.4 so I'm not sure what caused the pain, but I am glad I get a few rest days before my next plan starts.

After the race, I spent a good amount of time trying to decide how I felt. In the moment I didn't fell anything. I know I could have tried harder and done better, but I wasn't upset that I didn't. I tried to be proud that I finished and tried to be excited that my first 10k was done! I reminded myself that my only goal was to finish, but I just couldn't muster the post race excitement. I think the weather played a huge role in that.

I did want to thank @Andie16 for commenting on my pre-recap message. When I posted that, I thought I was crazy. I mean who feels completely neutral after finishing a milestone race. Because of your message, I felt a little more justified in my "bleh" feeling. That justification helped me to move past it and know that I was not insane. Thanks to @DopeyBadger for reminding me that it was a major milestone. I really appreciate everyone's support more than you know.

Overall, after typing this all out, I'm feeling pretty great about the 10k! I mean, I had my greatest running moment of all time in this race.. how could I feel anything but good about the race. I was trying to find out how many people registered, and couldn't find it any where. That said, only 89 of us showed up to the start line. I can tell they were expecting at least double because all the emails said food and beer was for race participants only and that you had to be wearing a bib to even enter the tent. Not only were they super lax on this day of but, they even gave mine and Katelyn's husbands (who didn't run) drink tickets. The guys didn't even ask for them, the race officials were just like "here have a drink ticket." So I'm thinking they were trying not to have any left over, or at least get to a minimum drink order that they had to meet with the bar. All of that said to say, I was on of 89 people who actually showed up to race day! We could have just slept in and then found something fun to do in Williamsburg (I mean, I do have season passes to Busch Gardens), But I didn't - I showed up and I ran in the rain and wind and won the costume contest.

Not sure where all of you live, but in central VA it's been cold and it even snowed yesterday (Yes. I know it's spring but someone forgot to tell VA). Today, though was just tooo pretty not to run. Still took it easy and ran 0.4 miles.. I thought I was running at my normal pace. My calf are extremely tight and every step caused me a little bit of pain, so I actually thought I was going slower than normal. Last time I ran that loop (2/24), it took me 8 mins 44 secs (14:36 pace). You may remember that as my bonus run on the day of the infamous Humble Creek 5k. Today, it took me 6 mins 8 secs (12:50 pace) and that was on very tight and sore legs!!!

Training Update Week 15! <-- Have I really stuck to something for 15 weeks?!! :jumping1:

I also think that I subconsciously don’t want to do well. To be honest, I’m SCARED TO DEATH of this 10 miler and Half Marathon that I have on the calendar. So if I stall at the 10k level, I won’t have to move up in miles right? The training is also getting to the point where I need to plan my life around running instead of the other way around.

Y'all! I just used the restroom on by break at work and across from the sinks is a full body mirror. I'm wearing capris today so my calves are exposed and as I washed my hands, I caught a glimpse of them in the mirror behind me.. Holy Cow! There is actually some definition there!! I have muscles y'all! Real muscles!! The rest of me is a still flabby but for now you can now call me Katie Chiseled Calves Little!! (TBH I wouldn't call them "chiseled" per say; however, there is undeniable definition!)

Katie, I also stress about the course if I have not run it before. I don't know how far you live from your next race, but when i"m within an hour I usually print out the course map and run or walk at least some of it to get a feel for what I'm getting into. Most of my races are trail runs so it can be easier to check them out without worrying about traffic, one-ways, etc.

When you have a plan that’s custom made to you with your schedule in mind, it’s really easy to stick to it.

Training Update Week 17!

Total miles ran – 7.7
Month to date – 20.6
Year to date –100.75 <-- :worship::yay::tiptoe::flower3::mickeybarpixiedust::jumping1::jumping2:

100 miles is worth the work! I feel strong and a little like I can do anything. Best confidence booster to date!

I can’t explain how in words (I’ve tried and it’s just a feeling that I’m struggling to articulate); however, I’m starting to see how this run/walk and easy pace may actually make me faster.

I learned to Run. Even if you feel like crap.. Run. The more I don’t want to run, the more I need to. Not to rip off nike or anything, but I definitely have adapted a “just do it” mentality this week. I’ve had to talk myself into all 4 runs this week, and I felt great afterwards.

Also, I just caught up on your journal here and WOW! Have you read it recently all the way from the beginning? Your journey is awesome! Keep up the great work!

@Capang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So per your suggestion, I just read my journal back from the beginning (anyone who's read the whole thing, probably knew I wasn't going to be patient enough to make it to the quarter marathon LOL). I have all of the feels right now, but I realized that I owe you a huge THANK YOU!! I have you to think for my Finish Line song!!! On like my 2nd or 3rd week, I asked everyone what their favorite running songs were and you suggested good to be alive by Andy Gramer!!

I literally have put that song on right before the finish line for every race except for Victory at Yorktown (I listened to the Hamilton soundtrack for that one). It's also gotten me through several rough patches in my training so THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THAT!!!

:cheer2:Armed Forces 5k Recap :cheer2:

Mile 1 – 14:04 :earseek:
Mile 2 – 15:36
Mile 3 – 15:59
0.11 – 13:34
Official Chip Time 47:45 :car:

1:40:49!! More to come, but I totally PRd and crushed my A goal so I couldn’t wait to share!!!!

:joker:Quarter Marathon Recap! :joker:

Mile 1 – 14:45
Mile 2 – 15:28
Mile 3 – 15:12
Mile 4 -14:33 :car:
Mile 5 – 15:05
Mile 6 – 14:35
Mile 0.7 – 15:46
Official Chip Time – 01:40:49

Katie, you may not be one of the fastest runners on these boards, but you are one of the most inspiring! Congratulations on a great run.

Things I learned this week – Since I sat on my butt and watched Big Bang Theory all week, I wanted to do something a little different here. Instead of things I learned, I made a list of things I love (genuinely love) about being a back of the pack runner.

1) There is a bigger crowd cheering for you at the finish line. Not only do you have the spectators but you also have all the runners who finished before you to cheer you on.:jumping1:

2) You don’t have to wait a super long time for the awards to start! :hourglass

2b) If you had a rough race and don’t want to stay for the awards you don’t have too – you know you didn’t place. (Although, it is my opinion that you really should stay. Those first place people didn’t have the crowd cheering for them when they crossed the finish line, so we should make up for it when we are cheering for their awards – plus it’s inspiring.)

3) There typically aren’t that many other people in the back ground of your race photos.

4) We’re more chatty in the back of the pack. I’ve walked away from every race this year with a new running friend that I met chatting with on the course.

5) If it’s an out and back course, you get to see the people running on their way back. Of course there are the elite runners, but then you just get to see the super fast normal runners. I love cheering them on and giving high fives. And I especially LOVE when those people give me encouragement. They know what’s up ahead so if they say I can do it, they must be right. :worship:

6) As a back of the pack runner, you know you aren’t going to place. I feel like that takes away a little of the competitive stress. You can still be competitive with yourself, but it definitely makes it easier to cope with getting passed. You go in with a different set of expectations.

7) Last but not least! We have the most room for improvement. It’s way easier to go from 17 min miles to 15 min miles than it is to go from 10 min miles to 8 min miles or even 8 to 7.

I’m about to have some emotional and schedule challenges. My dad is going to have open heart surgery soon. We won’t know when until Tuesday, but we’ll see what happens.

I think your attitude about why you love being a back of the pack runner is very healthy. Hoping, wanting, and working to improve are very good desires. But without a proper perspective and understanding on where you are right now, those desires can lead one to do too much, too soon and risk injury. How many people think they want to start running and so they start running? Except they run way too fast and before long they're injured, exhausted, and done with running permanently.

I’m going to work on my weekly updates and get that posted later tonight ir tomorrow. But today’s run almost killed me and I feel like it’s worth it’s own post..

Mistake number 1- I didn’t wake up in time to beat the heat. my back up plan was running this evening; however, my husband ending up having an errand to run and I decided to run while he was gone, so that we had the rest of the day together. This put my run at the hottest part of the day. 90 degrees, morning sun and 100% humidity.

Mistake number 2: running on an empty stomach... I know that this is such a rookie mistake, but to be completely honest most of my runs have been sans food in my body... I’ve never had issues like the ones I had today.

Mistake number 3: I didn’t finish. But in the most annoying way possible. The plan called for 3.5... I did 3.4.. I just didn’t have it in me to run past my house and back to get the last little bit in. My house is on the worst part of the hill so I looked at Strava and just said “good enough.”

I got extremely overheated and I’ve been in a fog all day since then. I have the worlds smallest heat rash on my leg (at least I’m pretty sure that’s what it is), and even started breaking out in hives at one point. I did run “easy” or atleast I thought o was. My normal 17:17 pace was more like 18:30 and I only did the hills once before deciding to stick to the flat part of my neighborhood.

The only other run that’s taken this much out of me was humble creek... although that was more physical exhaustion than this.

Anyway... stay cool guys! If any of you live in Antarctica and would like a roommate for the next 3 months, let me know. I’ll gladly take the freezing temps back.

Thanks to advice from the incredible @DopeyBadger (who told me to focus on the things I can control). I’ve started focusing on things I can and can’t control a lot more. Example - I can’t control the weather; however, I can control what time I wake up in the morning and how early I get my run in. I can’t control the fact that my 10 miler has a 2:30:00 time limit, but I can control the amount of work I put in from now until September.

Everything happens for a reason! To be honest, as I’ve gotten a little more confidence on race day, virtual races just don’t excite me as much as they used to. I was kind of disappointed that I wasn’t going to do the commonwealth games 5k on July 28th. I am excited that I get to do a runDisney event this year, I was just a little disappointed that it wasn’t an in person race. However, I’m glad that it worked out this way, because my dad’s surgery was moved to July 20th. Since I’m doing a virtual run this month, I have a lot more flexibility on when to run it and I don’t have to worry about a race during what I imagine will be a draining week.

Hey guys! This entry isn’t going to be directly running related and may be my most rambly post yet.

I’ve been missing a lot of runs lately... a lot. And more recently I’ve just been apathetic about the whole process. I’ve been thinking a lot about what could be bothering me and why things are affecting me as much as they are. Honestly I’ve been feeling emotionaly tapped out recently and I think since running is such an emotional thing for me it’s all a bit much (seriously I cry at least once a week because of running. Mostly good “holy cow I can’t believe I just did that” but nevertheless tears will stream).

When I look over the past 30 days and see what I’ve lived through, there is no wonder I am an emotional wreck! Ive found out my dad has to have open heart surgery and prepared my self for it twice only to have it moved 3 times. My mom and sister have told me my dad is showing signs of dementia and are going to ask if an appointment can be set up with a neurologist once his surgery is done. My husband and I have booked next years vacation and there has been a pregnancy scare that revealed a lot of feelings I didn’t know I had.

So Daddy issues. I’ve been struggling with the dementia piece a lot and found my self at one point thinking that his surgery seems pointless if he’s just going to have a long road of suffering ahead of him. But then there’s guilt associated with that because I definitely don’t want my dad to die, but isn’t that kinda what I just said??? Like I just don’t want him to suffer. Of course the demmentia symptoms are just that... symptom and they could be caused by a lack of oxygen (he does have 3 major blockages you know). But in my head for whatever reason I keep acting like he has demmentia. This morning was especially rough for me because there has been a lot of drama around my dads surgery so I had been focusing on that for so long that it just hit me this morning that tomorrow someone would be cutting my dads chest open... that was until I got a call from my mother informing me that someone had a heart attack last night and is now having surgery tomorrow instead of my dad.. so my dads surgery has now been moved for the 3rd time to 8/8/18. That was a major blow. My dads not been doing good already because he’s had too much time to think and be anxious. I know how hard it is for me to wait so I can’t imagine what he’s going through. I feel so helpless and I can’t imagine my dad feeling the same. He’s such a strong and macho type. But I can tell that he is terrified no matter how much he try’s to hide it.

Vacation!! Supposed to be a happy time. But for me it’s a coping mechanism. Whenever something goes bad I just start planning my next Disney vacation. Because in my head, nothing bad happens at Disney. This time; however, instead of planning a Dream Disney vacation I focused on our very real vacation that we are taking next year. It’s my husbands birthday trip and to make it extra special we are going on a cruise to CUBA!!!! It’s super exciting an at first it was the perfect distraction... until we put down our deposit. That was real money, spent on a real trip that we need real passports for because we are really leaving the country for the first time to go to a real communist country that has real weird stipulations and a little be of real fear. For someone whose never even left the east coast or been on a plane... that’s a lot of real stress. A good stress and I’m not complaining about my first world problems at all.. just saying that in hindsight it probably wasn’t the best time to take this on.

Pregnancy scare... I’ve always wanted kids. There’s no question there. But for the week that I thought it was actually happening I realized not any time soon.. which just opens a lot of questions of “if not now then when?” Which is a big desision that has a pin in it right now but just knowing that it’s there is driving me nuts. If you’ve read this journal for any amount of time it’s pretty obvious that I am a planner so that kind of thing really weighs me down.

With all of that out in the open and typed out.. I’m not surprised that running has moved to the back burner. I didn’t realize how much stress I was putting on my self.

Moving forward... My priorities are faith and Family, running and critical vacation planning. Family.. I can’t change the date of my dads surgery and I can’t do anything about it being moved. I can try my best to think positive thoughts and talk out any negative feelings with my husband and maybe even a theropist. As for running, my plan is simple and kind of cliché... Just do it. Even if I’m scheduled for 5 miles and only get 1 in that’s better than none. Some of my favorite runs have been ones where I just go and don’t think about anything. I think that running could actually be pretty therapeutic for me- I just have to force myself to get started. And by Crucial vacation planning.. I lirally just mean getting out passports. You have to have one for 6 months before visiting so we need to jump on that and get the ball rolling.

That’s pretty much my life update. I know it was an overshare and I’m sorry about that. But it felt good to get it all out and I hope that just getting it out of my system will help a lot.

pluto:runDisney Virtual Running Shorts (July) recap.pluto:

KM - Time - AV Pace (min/Km)
1k - 9:55 - 9:56 :car:
2k - 20:16 - 10:21
3k - 30:46 - 10:30
4k - 41:28 - 10:41 :snail:
5k - 51:39 -10:12
5.01k - 51:51 -11:21
Total Time - 51:51 Average Pace 10:21

I learned that I’m terrified of this 10 miler and I need to get my confidence back as a runner.

I’m still learning how to turn on the “just do it” mentality. I’ve been pretty depressed recently but since I stuck to the plan and got my runs in this week things have felt better.

I love that you post about the hard times when running too. Sometimes it's far too easy to compare ourselves to others on here and think they never have a bad day running, or their slow time is substantially faster than I could ever dream of running on my very best day. In all reality, I'm really only competing against myself.

You guys!!! I've ran 200 miles this year!!!! How insane is that?!!!???!! Idk why I'm so nervous about this 10 miler.. I mean if you do the math, I've already run 20 of them!!! Is it sketchy math? Sure! But it makes alot more sense than that common core stuff I read about HAHAHA.

Training Update Week 31!

Total miles ran – 2.5
Month to date – 26.5
Year to date –200.03 :D - Why have I been so worried about this 10 miler?! I've already finished 20 of them this year!
Purple shoes - 167.93
Blue shoes – 26.1

200 miles is a lot easier than 100.. Despite the last month, this last 100 miles has felt easier and it hasn’t been as much of a struggle to get out there. I’m getting more confident on race day and I’ve had some huge wins. The last month has been rough for sure, but overall the last 100 miles was dare I say enjoyable?! :jumping1:

:stitch:Lynchburg 5k Recap.:stitch:

Mile 1 - 14:04 :car:
Mile 2 - 14:17
Mile 3 - 15:25
.2 (started strava early and stopped it late) - 11:58
Official Chip Time - 46:56 overall pace 15:08 according to the chip timing (which is probably more accurate than strava who says my pace was 14:33)

I had a big mental shift this week. I realized that I can’t make up for July. It’s done and it’s over. The only thing I can do is move forward and do the best I can.

I’ve caught myself telling myself that I don’t really want to run a half marathon. This a lie. I know it’s a lie because I still want to run a full marathon… LOL. But I think that I’m starting to grasp the distance a little more and TBH, I’m a little spooked. That said- I think I still need a little accountability so I’m going to update this journal after every run again. At least for this week and probably a next week too. Just to help fight off these little lies I’m trying to tell myself. :scared1:

Purple shoes - 183.53 <- Retired! :sail:
Blue shoes – 47.3

Alright guys... here’s the story. Last night I was up till 3 am with an upset tummy :-(. I didn’t wake up early and slept till 9:30am. I decided, oh well running in the heat it is. I then made the mistake of tallking the dogs out. As I walked outside the humidity literally swallowed me whole. I decided that since I had some miles at half marathon pace, the best thing would be to run tomorrow morning. That way I didn’t have to adjust my pace for the heat.

I bet you thought this was an excuse on why I didn’t run today didn’t you??? Guess what? On my way home from work (at 12:20am) “not afraid” by Eminem came on... I listened as he said “I’m going to be what I set out to be without a doubt, undoubtedly” and I decided, even though the clock and calendar say it’s Thursday, everybody knows it’s not actually the next day until you go to bed and wake up (seriously it’s a thing.) I spent the whole drive home deciding that I was at no greater risk of being kidnapped at 1am as I am at 10pm when I usually run.. and then to seal the deal, when I got home my husband was still awake. It took some convincing but he agreed to walk with me. And I’m happy to report that I crushed it!

“I’m standing up, Ima face my demons! Im manin up ima hold my ground. I’ve has enough, now I’m so fed up gotta put my life back together right now!!” - Eminem

I’ve always thought I was a positive person; however, I recently started reading “Let your mind run” by Deena Kastor. She mentions the importance of self-care in and she said something kind of profound in that “There’s no such thing as over training, only under resting.”

She also has this thing where when she has a negative thought she stops and says.. What’s a different thought that will serve me better. In practice for me that looked like. “Darn it! I missed Friday’s run I’m spiraling out of control again. Wait… What’s a better way to think of this thing…. Okay, I got extra rest this week! Come Monday, I’ll have fresh legs.” That’s helpful; however, then I start thinking “I’ll just have to make sure I’m extra diligent and not put too positive of a spin on a missed run.. then I really will start spiraling.” I’ve been thinking and thinking but I can’t think of a better thought for that one. Although, after typing that out.. Is that really a negative thought? It kind seems more along the lines of realistic… Maybe that’s why I can’t spin it?

:dumbo:VA 10 Miler Recap! Holy Crap – I actually did it!!!!:dumbo:

Mile 1 – 13:17 :car:
Mile 2 - 14:59
Mile 3 – 15:36
Mile 4- 15:41
Mile 5 – 15:25
Mile 6 – 16:27
Mile 7 – 16:09
Mile 8 – 16:15
Mile 9 – 15:20
Mile 10 – 18:30 :snail:
Official Chip Time – 2:43:37 :cheer2:

Secret time... I never registered for my half marathon! When we first had it budgeted out, our basement flooded. So that’s where that money went. Then I kinda knew I had time and forgot about it. Then I was scared and decided not to register until after the 10 miler.... I am officially registered as of today. I paid the most and I missed the deadline to have my name printed on the bib. I still get a T-shirt though. And I was going to be in coral K anyway so no penalty there. It just got real!!!

:donald:Desmond Doss 5k Recap:donald:

Mile 1 - 14:54
Mile 2 - 15:25
Mile 3 - 15:25
Mile .1 - 12:12 :car:
Official Chip Time - 46:50

Sounds like you're getting stronger and more confident. Keep up the great work.

Current fears:

If I try to run this half marathon while I’m this burnt out, will that taint my overall view of the distance and make me hesitate to do another or to go further?

If I don’t try, will that make me scared to try again in the future? Will I always carry a
mental block of “I tried that one time and I just couldn’t do it.”

“If I try??” “If I don’t try???” Where did that come from?! Am I considering not showing up to this race?! I hadn’t thought of it until I started typing but it sure seems like that’s what’s floating around in my head.

Weather. It’s looking like it will be 49 degrees and raining. I have ran in the cold and ran in the rain but never that cold and Raining at the same time. The closest experience I have is the Victory at Yorktown 10k. That doesn’t give me hope though- I was miserable that race and I couldn’t mentally push past the conditions. That was; however, my very first 10k. I used a generic training plan and that didn’t go well. Training has gone better this time (at least post 10 miler) and I did pretty much have a full dress rehearsal thanks to the 10 miler.
If I duplicate my 10 miler results at the half marathon, then I’ll be happy.

Idk my official time yet but Strava says 3:37:09. :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9:

Official race recap is coming... but yesterday’s race brought the clarity I’ve been needing.

1) I found a race at the expo called the tacky Christmas light 6k and my husband’s doing it with me and our friends may come. I’ve accomplished way more than I sat out to at the beginning of the year - screw the 5k pr (for now).

2) this year, I tried really hard to separate running from weight loss and I think I did a pretty good job. But I weighed myself at the expo and even with consistent exercise and some healthier eating habits, I weigh exactly the same as I did in January. Next years focus will be on my overall health and weight. I need to go to the doctor. I’ve felt like something has been “off” since February... so time to face it and move past what ever it is.

3) I really LOVE the 10k distance! It’s my favorite. One day I’d like to get to the point where I am as comfortable with 10 miles as I am with 10k.

4) I will not go on another running plan until February! I’m still going to run, but I’m going to take 2 months to focus on strength training and core work. This morning my shoulders and arms hurt more than my legs and feet!

5) this is the last and scariest relivation - I think I could actually finish a full marathon. I don’t think I could make the commitment needed for training right now, and even though I think I could finish, I don’t think I would enjoy running for 8 hours (are their even any marathons that have that long of a limit?) I want to focus on a little more confidence and speed in the double digit runs before committing to a race but for now WDW marathon 2021??? Maybe?

:figment:Richmond Half Marathon Recap! :figment:

Mile - Pace
1- 15:47
2- 16:15
3- 15:58 - First GU
4- 16:15
5- 15:58
6- 15:58 - Second GU
7- 15:30
8- 16:46
9- 16:27 3rd GU
10- 16:33 Pickle Juice
11- 16:04 Last GU
12- 16:46
13- 16:21
0.4- 13:21
Chip Time -3:36:41.8 - Pizza Baby!

So I spent this weekend volunteering for girls on the run and it was sooooo much fun!! also met the race director for our local turkey trot so... 5 days till my next race. :eek: It’s the 30th annniverary, it’s ran by the same people as the va 10 miler and you get a coffee cup! So.. how do you say no to that??

Turkey Trot 5k recap.

47:38...... was my husband’s time. If you look next to my name you’ll see a big fat DNF.. although Did not start is more accurate. I’ve been fighting off a cold since the beginning of last week. It amplified after being out side in the cold and the wind for Girls on the run, but over all, I’ve felt fine. I just can’t shake this cough. Last night I worked till midnight and from 10p till the time I fell asleep I could not stop coughing. It got so bad that It gave me a head ache which only pounded worse with every cough. At 6am it was 20 degrees and knowing that I have 2 12 hour shifts coming up at work and understanding it wasn’t a race I particularly cared about, I decided not to go. I feel awful that I had made a commitment and didn’t see it though, but I feel even worse that I missed Josh’s race. He has drug me to and from so many races this year and never once complained. He’s waited for me in rain and cold wind and cheered me through finish line after finish line. I feel terrible that I couldn’t do the same for him. It was his idea that I stay home so I guess I shouldn’t be too worried but I am.

#thatmomentwhen your doing the same cross training plan as coach Billy!! Must be doing something right!!! Also, I didn’t think today was that bad (upper body) so I think I may have been shell shocked last night.

I don't really have a recap for the Tacky Light Run. It was 6k and my finish time was 1:27:42. My husband and I walked the whole time looking at the lights and had a blast. That was the goal!

Training Update Week 51 - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!!
Total miles ran
–0
Month to date – 17.4
Year to date –285.33
Miles on shoes – 103.9

Planned work outs:

5 days of 21 day fix - Didn’t happen

Rest and self-care!

Other Updates that seem important:

Had a bit of a mental break down this week. I haven’t had a consistent schedule for the entire month of December. I’ve worked several overnight shifts followed by mid-day shifts and early mornings. My MIL painted our kitchen cabinets for us, so she took our cabinet doors to her house. Then when we got our doors back she took our drawers. I haven’t cooked a proper meal and my dog is pushing his limits on what he can destroy before I seriously consider animal abuse!! (I would never.. but trying to make a point here). My uncle died somewhere in all of that chaos and last week or week before last there was a foot and a half of snow on the ground!! All of the unorganized chaos came to a tipping point when I accidently sent an email to 1400 customers from my personal work email instead of my companies general questions box. Yep.. 1400 customers not have my personal work email and can email me anytime they’d like and I will have to personally reach out to them and hope it doesn’t affect my personal workload. Glad it happened though. Our Kitchen is FINALLY put back together and I organized my desk at work. I made my emails a priority and now my email box has 0 emails in it.

Found an awesome running coach here - I've used him before and highly recommend. :thumbsup2 New training plan starts on 1/13.

After chatting it through with @DopeyBadger I've decided on the Victory at Yorktown 10k as my dress rehearsal for the Historic Half Marathon.

Also, did some soul searching when requesting a plan and decided that my goal for this training cycle is to conquer my fear of hills and finish the HM feeling strong. Also want to PR the 10k - shouldn't be too hard considering how poorly my only true 10k went.

Plan for week 52: <-- Last full week of 2018

Rest. I’m not going to even try to get back on the 21 day fix band wagon until Sunday. I need the time to catch up on all of the other neglected parts of my life.

Days until next race: 100 days till the :charac4:Victory at Yorktown 10k :charac4:

Rest. I’m not going to even try to get back on the 21 day fix band wagon until Sunday. I need the time to catch up on all of the other neglected parts of my life.
I think a proper life balance is essential. Everything we do in life places demands on our time. If the balance is screwed up and out of whack then things that get out of control in a hurry.

The panic attacks are coming back...

Well, my anxiety levels are higher than normal and it’s not a fun place. Tonight, Josh and I were taking down Christmas and cleaning our house. I started to go downstairs to do laundry and my husband let me know that he had already started. He washed the comforter off the guest bed- it was in the Dryer and the Duvet cover was in the wash. I was immediately filled with rage!!! That’s right rage!! My husband had just told me that he had stepped up and started laundry.. something most women would LOVE to hear and I clenched my first and stormed downstairs to so assess the situation! I FLIPPED out and the worst part is, I have no idea why. Thankfully my poor husband who did everything right didn’t realize I was angry.

Looking back, I think it was because I had a plan. I had boxes to check and I wanted to check them in that order. But one of my boxes had already been checked so I flipped out. I also have a specific order that I like to do laundry in, mainly towels and comforters last because they take the longest to dry, but seriously it’s laundry and I have a husband who actually helps out around the house. It’s a small price to pay for such an amazing life. But yet there I was rage sorting the rest of the laundry and slamming the dryer door because the comforter wasn’t dry yet.

Then the other side of those moments.. I started crying and became even more angry that I was acting the way I was acting. I felt/feel like a crazy person!!! I know in my head that it’s not that serious and that it’s actually a good thing, but I couldn’t control the rage that was building up inside of me. My husband started to notice around this point and came downstairs to check on me. Thankful when I told him what was going on he understood that it was bigger than laundry. I wouldn’t have. If the rolls were reversed, I would have been angry just at the nerve of him for being upset that I tried to help.

Idk why I’m putting this out there.. I guess I just thought that if I typed it out, I could make sense of it. But I still don’t fully know what triggered all of that.

Silver lining: Now I know for sure that the regular exercise is what’s been helping keep my anxiety at bay. Getting back on the 21 day fix wagon tomorrow!

I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety. :(

Exercise is a great stress reliever, so hopefully that will help you again. :hug:

@Capang and @ZellyB thanks!! I’m doing much better. Can we just talk about how amazon my husband is just for a sec?! Like he should teach classes.

Anywho.. Run and Rude Quater Marathon is in June. Do I want to do it?

Pros-
-it was arguably my best performance last year so a repeat would be nice.
- it’s 4 weeks after my next half marathon so really no training required.

Cons-
- it’s 4 weeks after my Half Marathon. Idk if I’ll be up for another race that soon.
- last year I realized that I don’t really like kings dominion anymore. While it was my best race and the nastalgia of running through an amusement park that was my childhood was nice, the weekend around it kinda sucked.
- pricey. It’s a good deal for someone who going to go to the park afterwards but If you aren’t going to do that.. $80 for a 10k is a bit much (and that’s if I register now!!)

The cons outweigh the pros but part of me kinda wants to do It still. I just can’t shake it. Thoughts?

I have nothing to offer here on run n ride. I just have questions. Did they offer the challenge last year at kings dominion? The 5k and quarter? Cedar points challenge disappeared. Did you think the race was well run and organized?

They didn't have a challenge medal and from what I can tell no challenge this year either. I thought it was pretty well organized, it was POURING rain so I think that did cause some last min changes, but other than that it was okay. It wasn't organized as well as other races I've ran with the same price point though.

Half Marathon Training starts this week! There are 2 inches of ice on the roads and training starts tomorrow. #Timing!

tenor.gif

Anyway! Plan for this week.

Monday - 2 miles at easy
Wednesday - 2 miles at easy
Thursday - 2 miles at easy
Saturday - 2 miles at easy

Welp. I’m putting this out into the word. I have my eyes set on a certain marathon next January.

Not an official goal yet. I have ALOT of work to do before I can even consider it. But I’m tired of dreaming about it. I’m tired of putting it off. I’m tired of planing countless runDisney racecations only to change my mind last min. I want it! So this year is dedicated to proving it! (Adapted from the famous Coach Billy quote. “If you want it. Prove it!” @DopeyBadger)

Training Update Week 1

Total miles ran –8
Month to date – 8
Year to date - 8
Life Time –293.33

New Balance - 8
Miles on Hokas – 103.9
Weight Loss – 6.7 pounds (from November.)

Planned work outs:

Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – 2 miles easy
Saturday - 2 miles easy

I tweaked my form on hills and let me tell you. It’s awkward AF but the hills are WAY easier now! Basically I thrust my pelvis out and tuck my butt in. It forces me to stand up straight and bend from my ankles not from my hips.

So in looking at WDW Marathon 2020 a couple things need to happen.
1) I need to shave about an hour off my half marathon time. I might be fine if I only shave 40 mins and I’ll be better if I shave off an hour 10 mins.
2)Lose weight. Less to carry, faster I can go. Right?
I could choose to look at this as near impossible or I can look at it as only 2 things. I’m choosing the ladder.

Weight loss. I’ve been working on this one for a bit, slowed down for the holidays but working on it.

giphy.gif

:tinker:Plan for week 2:
Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – 2 miles easy
Saturday - 4 miles easy

Days until next race: 77 days till the :charac4: Victory at Yorktown 10k :charac4:

- it’s 4 weeks after my Half Marathon. Idk if I’ll be up for another race that soon.
The day after my very first half marathon, I stood in complete awe of runners who ran Goofy (no Dopey back then). I barely hobbled my way around Disneyland for not even half a day that day. There's no way I could have run half a mile let alone anything further. I laugh now at things that seemed so impossible then.

Welp. I’m putting this out into the word. I have my eyes set on a certain marathon next January.

Not an official goal yet. I have ALOT of work to do before I can even consider it. But I’m tired of dreaming about it. I’m tired of putting it off. I’m tired of planing countless runDisney racecations only to change my mind last min. I want it! So this year is dedicated to proving it! (Adapted from the famous Coach Billy quote. “If you want it. Prove it!” @DopeyBadger)
Nothing wrong with setting goals. And even better when you work hard to achieve them. A year ago, both my knees hurt. I feared it would end my dreams of finishing all 3 Dark Side races and ruin the then very small hope of maybe, possibly registering for the Walt Disney World Marathon. Now that knee pain was something I had to overcome. But it didn't end those Dark Side dreams where the bigger dream truly began to form. Before that trip had ended, I had a quote from my travel agent for marathon weekend.

1) I need to shave about an hour off my half marathon time. I might be fine if I only shave 40 mins and I’ll be better if I shave off an hour 10 mins.
A couple things from me. Maybe they won't work for you, but I had so many people reach out to and encourage me that it's only right that I attempt to return the favor to others considering the running journey I have now finished.

1. In my mind, a sub 3 hour half marathon time was the barrier I needed to break before I could ever consider signing up for the marathon. Well I have yet to actually run that sub 3 hour half marathon. But that didn't stop me from registering for, training for, and finally finishing the Walt Disney World Marathon as the last leg of Dopey.

2. In my experience, this ties into everything about the distance. You will know when you're ready to register for a marathon. So if the time comes and you don't feel the time is right yet, don't worry about it. For many years I was asked when I would run a marathon. And for all those years, I laughed and said "probably never." Over time that began to change. In the end, I registered for the marathon when I knew the time was right for me. That made a huge difference for me as I entered my first marathon feeling confident in my training and trusting that I had a good mental handle on the mental aspect of the marathon and a plan of how to deal with the wall if that came.

3. In light of both points 1 and 2, make the decision that is best for you. Maybe that's the 2020 marathon. Maybe it's a different marathon next year or a different year. Maybe it's never. Just know that so many of us are cheering for you as you pursue your running goals and dreams. I had an amazing marathon experience. I did not love every minute of it, but I'm so glad I did it. It was very magical in Epcot. In the end, you will know when you're ready to tackle the marathon.

I could choose to look at this as near impossible or I can look at it as only 2 things.
I only want to say this. In the words of my running spirit animal Rhino the Hamster from Bolt: "The impossible can be possible. IF YOU'RE AWESOME!!!"

If you haven't seen Bolt, Rhino alone makes that movie so worth watching. He might have topped even Yoda for the number of marathon running mantras I had prepared beforehand.

Training Update Week 2

Total miles ran –10
Month to date – 18
Year to date - 18
Life Time –311.33

New Balance - 12
Miles on Hokas – 109.9
Weight Loss – 7.1 pounds

Planned work outs:

Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – 2 miles easy
Saturday - 4 miles easy

The treadmill at Planet Fitness cuts you off after 1 hour of running. Which is exactly my personal limit for how long I can take the tread mill!

SecondhandEasyAzurevase-small.gif

:tinker:Plan for week 3:
Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – 3 miles easy
Saturday - 4 miles easy

Days until next race: 70 days till the :charac4: Victory at Yorktown 10k :charac4:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter