But for now, what are some of your running goals?

I'm running my 5th marathon in October. Marathons always scare me a little. This one I'm trying to get under 4:30 which scares me even more, but hopefully my training will be solid and I'll have a good shot at it.

I always like having a big race on the calendar for motivation. Having goals helps too (obtainable & scary).

Wishing you good luck with your training & goals!

I'm running my 5th marathon in October. Marathons always scare me a little. This one I'm trying to get under 4:30 which scares me even more, but hopefully my training will be solid and I'll have a good shot at it.

I always like having a big race on the calendar for motivation. Having goals helps too (obtainable & scary).

Wishing you good luck with your training & goals!
Woah! 4 marathons!! You are amazing! Good luck on your 5th!! Hope the training goes well!!

Training Update Week - 24
Total miles ran – 9
Month to date – 23.6
Year to date – 84.83
Life Time – 370.16

Planned work outs:

Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – Swim
Saturday – 2 miles easy – 2 miles HM pace and 1 mile easy

Things I learned this week:

I learned that I can stick to a training plan! It’s been a rough couple month but having a week where I ran all the miles gives me an extra little confidence boost.

Having the right motivation is everything! Now that runDisney is on the calendar, I’ve literally been floating around my house. I’m so excited and will do whatever it takes to make sure it’s a good race.

Other Updates that seem important:

I skipped the swim this week.

I put my big scary goals in an email to coach Billy. I’ll share them here eventually but with every share they become more and more real, so I’m just going to sit on them for a little longer and adjust as needed.

Plan for week 25:
Monday – 2 miles easy
Wednesday – 2 miles easy
Thursday – Swim
Saturday - 2 miles- 1 mile HM pace – 1 mile easy

Days until next race: 18 days till the 4th of July 5 miler!

New segment to be added to my weekly updates..

I’ve never read or seen any of the books or movies for Lord of the Rings.. I don’t know much about the series except that it has a cult following and it’s kinda nerdy. Which basically garuntees I’m going to love it! I’ve bought the audio book and will be listening only on my runs. So I’ll also be sharing my though on LOTR along the way.

That’s all :-)

New segment to be added to my weekly updates..

I’ve never read or seen any of the books or movies for Lord of the Rings.. I don’t know much about the series except that it has a cult following and it’s kinda nerdy. Which basically garuntees I’m going to love it! I’ve bought the audio book and will be listening only on my runs. So I’ll also be sharing my though on LOTR along the way.

That’s all :-)
The books are better than the movies, but I love both of them. The books alone should last you a very long time.
I loved reading the LOTR books. Great story! I think that will make your runs fly by. :thumbsup2
Except maybe for Fellowship of the Ring. While a great read, it feels like it takes forever and a day to read that one.

Training Update Week – 25 & 26
Total miles ran – 9
Month to date – 27.6 June
- 5 July
Year to date – 93.93
Life Time – 379.16

Planned work outs:

Monday – 2 miles easy - done
Wednesday – 2 miles easy - done
Thursday – Swim - done
Saturday - 2 miles- 1 mile HM pace – 1 mile easy – Skipped for migraine.
Monday – 2 miles easy – Skipped for migraine.
Wednesday – 1.5 miles easy – Just skipped…No real reason..
Thursday – 5 miler race - Done.

Starting over!

This year, my training journal has read more like a bunch of excuses than a training journal. Some of them valid.. most of them garbage. For those of you reading… I’m sorry. I try to keep my journal honest and essentially it’s for me; however, the fact that people read it, helps with the accountability aspect and I love meeting and interacting with other runners. Thanks for putting up with me.

Last year was an amazing year for me, and I guess I thought that after a year of consistency I’d be a veteran runner. That things would be easier. That I would be faster.. That I would have at least lost like 2 pounds.

The past 7 months I have been faced with the reality that I’m still new. Easier doesn’t mean easy – It’s still hard. Faster doesn’t mean faster than that runner over there – it means faster than I was yesterday. And in my case Faster doesn’t mean fast (yet). Finally as coach Billy said it best “Abs are made in the kitchen.. not on the road.”

So this is me. Recommitting myself to this journal. I will upload every week going forward just like last year. I’ll tell you what went well and what did not go so well. I will stop pretending that I don’t have time or that I don’t need the weekly accountability. This was key to my success last year and I don’t know why I stopped.

Lord of the rings –

I’ve listened to the first 2 chapters of the hobbit on Monday and Wednesday’s run. I also listened on the way home from swimming on Thursday. My first impression is that Gandalf is kind of a jerk. Also, I think I might be part hobbit. Short, fat, cares about food above all else, likes to live all on one level so that I can avoid stairs. It all fits. I do like a small amount of adventure though… and I don’t really like to entertain all that much.. but yea. Me and Bilbo have a lot in common :-) .

Plan for week 27:

I’m taking a few weeks off of a training plan. Hoping to start my next plan on 8/4/19. My plan for this week is to do week 1 of 21 day fix.

Race Day Count Down:

55 - days till Lynchburg 5k
83 - days till the VA 4 miler
132 - days till Richmond Half Marathon
231 - days till Princess Half Marathon

Hi Katie,
How did your 4th of July 5 miler go?

It was a HOT mess of emotions lol. It was 85 degrees and extremely muggy and humid.. looking at the weather ahead of time coach Billy said to run and blind with not a lot of expectations. He recommended that I run the first mile extremely easy and then increase effort as I went.

I did exactly that. And even though I was giving more and more effort each mile I ended up running it fairly even. I felt miserable at the end due to the heat so I sat down and cooled off.. when I stood up I couldn’t put any weight on my left foot. The pain was excruciating. And I emailed Billy from the car canceling the next training plan I had requested the night before.. once I got home and got my compression socks off, and elevated my feet everything almost instantly got better. I’ve run in compression socks before but never that far and never that hard. I think my feet were swelling after the race and my socks were not allowing that to happen - hence the pain.

I’m glad I wasn’t injured, but my first reaction to the slightest bit of resistance was to quit. Not only did I email Billy canceling the plan from the car ride home, but I had also asked my husband how mad he was going to be if we had paid all that money for Princess and I ended up not running it.. I was in a lot of pain for sure but the fact that my first reaction was to quit everything... well that opened my eyes a lot!!

So I’ve taken a little break. I haven’t changed my race schedule at all. I just need to find the fighter spirit and commitment level that I had last year. And to be honest, so far it’s working. I’m enjoying the high paced and fast results of 21 day fix. I’m on day 4 and seeing differences in my body and fitness level already. The instant gratification is doing me good.. but at the same time.. somewhere way in the back of my emotions, I’m starting to miss the endurance aspect of running.

So all of that to say. The race was mediocre. My finish time was 1:24:48. Given the heat and my wavering commitment levels through out the plan, I’d say I did really well.. but the big take aways came after the race. I honestly can’t even remember mile by mile my feeling or thoughts.. it sounds cheesy (and a little bit backwards..) but I think the real race was run after I crossed the finish line. 7070AE24-A0A3-48E5-A46C-7229B19744C4.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. At that temp and with high humidity I think you did pretty damn well!

I also just got a new training plan from Billy. After 3 hard races in the last 2 months I have to say I'm a bit burned out and running is not fun for the first time in several years. I also have nagging PF foot pain. I did not meet my goals for the last race due to pain in both feet, and as I was finishing i told myself that I was going to cancel my big October race and maybe even skip Wine & Dine this year. Fortunately those feelings left after a couple of recovery days. So I feel your pain. I'm taking a week or two off and then starting my new plan. For me, the new plan is just what I needed to get my mojo back.

I hope you do well on your 21 day fix, and I hope that running will soon again be exciting and satisfying for you.

Thanks for the report. At that temp and with high humidity I think you did pretty damn well!

I also just got a new training plan from Billy. After 3 hard races in the last 2 months I have to say I'm a bit burned out and running is not fun for the first time in several years. I also have nagging PF foot pain. I did not meet my goals for the last race due to pain in both feet, and as I was finishing i told myself that I was going to cancel my big October race and maybe even skip Wine & Dine this year. Fortunately those feelings left after a couple of recovery days. So I feel your pain. I'm taking a week or two off and then starting my new plan. For me, the new plan is just what I needed to get my mojo back.

I hope you do well on your 21 day fix, and I hope that running will soon again be exciting and satisfying for you.

Thank you!!! I’m sorry you had to go through those things, but thank you so so much for sharing!! It means a lot to know someone else has the same struggles.

**Accountability Needed**

I got stuck at work till 1am last night. Couldn’t fall asleep when I got home so I slept in today. Then I ran some errands and I have to choose between eating or working out before it’s tome to get ready for work. I’m choosing food. I mean I’m recommitted and all but I’m not trying to starve lol. This means my workout will have to happen when I get off work at midnight. I know I’ll easily have excuses at midnight as to why I can’t so I’m telling you guys the plan. I’ll post a response once cardio fix is done ✅.

Last edited:
Training Update Week – 27
Total miles ran – 0
Month to date – 5
Year to date – 93.93
Life Time – 379.16

Planned work outs:

Sunday – Total Body Cardio – Done
Monday – Upper Fix – Done
Tuesday – Lower fix – Done
Wednesday – Pilates fix – Done
Thursday – Cardio fix – Ouch! But Done.
Friday – Dirty 30 – Done
Saturday – Yoga Fix – Done!

Did you know your eyelids can sweat?! I did not know that and now I do.

I’m slightly upset. Since I did Thursdays workout at 1am – the little circle on Thursday isn’t filled in. So it looks like I only worked out 6 days, but I did all 7!!

This week was nice! I’m learning what days are easiest for me to get my workout in and what days I need a little help. I learned that Thursdays for example are not ideal. I get off late on Wednesday nights and sleep in on Thursdays leaving me a very small amount of time to work out. If I have anything else to take care of like I did this week, that takes away even more of my time. When I request my new training plan Thursdays will definitely not be an option.

Also, I think I’m going to keep the 21-day fix yoga as part of my routine when I start the new plan, even if it’s just once a week. I’ve been so sore all week but those stretches really made everything feel like new (just in time for another week.) I think it’s by far the best yoga routine I’ve done. I think the extra stretches on the calf will help with the planter fasciitis.

I think next week is going to be the hardest. This week was fairly easy. I had moments when I didn’t want to work out on some days, but I was able to tell myself “It’s just 30 mins!” and get over it fairly easily. This week, I know exactly how hard those 30 mins are going to be, so I think it’ll be more of a mental battle this week. Wish me luck!!
I ended up buying the 21-day fix nutrition program. It’ll be here in 5-7 business days, so I’m excited to get going with that. It’s called portion fix.

I’m starting to miss running. I’m really enjoying 21 day fix, but at the end of the day, it’s not my sport. This is good! That was kind of the whole point of taking a break. I’m not going to lie though, 30 mins in a nice air conditioned room… It has its advantages.

Lord of the rings –

I can’t really listen to it while I do the workouts. I kind of need to hear what Autumn is saying, but I figure 30 mins of working out is equivalent to listening to 30 mins of the book later. I still have an hour banked, but I’m not really getting into it. Also having a bit of a hard time focusing on it and following. Right now Smeagol is helping Bilbo across some lake. I wasn’t paying attention so I’m not 100% sure what happened to Thorin or the rest of the dwarves.. I’m not going to give up on it yet, I’ve hear it starts slow. Will keep you posted.

Plan for week 27:

Week 2 of 21 day fix –

Race Day Count Down:

48 - days till Lynchburg 5k
76 - days till the VA 4 miler
125 - days till Richmond Half Marathon
224 - days till Princess Half Marathon

View attachment 417263

Last edited:
Omg! Today was as expected the hardest day to workout. I knew how hard the workout was going to be and after work some things came up. So it wasn’t get home and get going right away. It was a couple hours before we were home and then I was exhausted. I laid down for like 20 mins watching videos on my phone and actually fell asleep. But not today!! I struggled to get up and get on work out clothes and forced my husband to do the same.

The second I hit play, I knew I wouldn’t regret it. Everyday last week during the warm up, the top of my shorts rode down during the jumping jacks and by the time I did windmills my belly would be hanging out from under my shirt. That didn’t happen in round 1.. then round 2 happened... still no belly flap 😁😁

Then surrenders- the hardest exercise in the workout. They weren’t so hard.. sure my heart was racing but physically, it’s wasn’t so hard...

Then some exercises went about the same... until we got to the one where you run in place and then push the weight in front of you and lift it back. I had been marching in place last week and this week I was actually jogging in place!

The last round was the ab round. Last week I could barley do a normal crunch let alone the frog crunches and twisty ones... today I actually felt ab muscles working... and I actually managed Un-modified for both rounds!!

I feel so strong right now!! That’s all. Just had to share because I was scared I’d forget all the details by next weeks update!!!

This year, my training journal has read more like a bunch of excuses than a training journal. Some of them valid.. most of them garbage. For those of you reading… I’m sorry. I try to keep my journal honest and essentially it’s for me; however, the fact that people read it, helps with the accountability aspect and I love meeting and interacting with other runners. Thanks for putting up with me.

Last year was an amazing year for me, and I guess I thought that after a year of consistency I’d be a veteran runner. That things would be easier. That I would be faster.. That I would have at least lost like 2 pounds.

The past 7 months I have been faced with the reality that I’m still new. Easier doesn’t mean easy – It’s still hard. Faster doesn’t mean faster than that runner over there – it means faster than I was yesterday. And in my case Faster doesn’t mean fast (yet). Finally as coach Billy said it best “Abs are made in the kitchen.. not on the road.”
1. Honesty is a good thing. It helps you know where you really are. And sharing your struggles with others can be a way to work through your running challenges. It also makes your own triumphs real. When others read that you struggled with your challenges, but persevered through them, and came out successful in the end, it becomes inspiring. In part because being honest gives the true picture. The sense of triumph after finishing comes not because you did it (although this is a part of it), but because of what finishing required of you in the weeks and months leading up to the race itself.

2. In a sense, I don't know if running ever becomes easy. It requires hard work and sacrifice and no matter how far you have come and what you have accomplished, you still need to get out there and do it. I finished Dopey in January. Intensive work pressures made it very easy to not run at all for 3 months. And before long I'm starting all over again.

I did not meet my goals for the last race due to pain in both feet, and as I was finishing i told myself that I was going to cancel my big October race and maybe even skip Wine & Dine this year. Fortunately those feelings left after a couple of recovery days.
Last November during marathon training I had a few too many consistently brutal runs. The worse of them culminated in me feeling extremely depressed, frustrated, and strongly considering ditching my marathon plans altogether and just losing the substantial amount I had paid to register for Dopey.

I shared my fears and frustrations with coach and he agreed that I could take some time off and/or modify my plan to address what was happening. I shared my frustrations in this community. People reached out to me with encouragement and their own experiences of fighting through these struggles. All this helped me work through my frustrations and fears instead of trying to gloss over them. Fitness is important. But as a former poster, Coach Charles, in this community once said "do I own the streak or does the streak own me?"

In looking over what I wrote yesterday, I wanted to add one thing. When you look at my post race photos, I'm almost always smiling. I'm happy and feel good about what I just accomplished. But that happy medal photo does not tell the story about the days when I feared I might fail. It does not tell the story about the time I actually questioned stopping training right then and there because I felt depressed and frustrated about my progress.

I also learned so much from other runners here because I was honest about how I felt. They were willing to share their experience and help me change my way of thinking. That helped me more than I can fully express.

In looking over what I wrote yesterday, I wanted to add one thing. When you look at my post race photos, I'm almost always smiling. I'm happy and feel good about what I just accomplished. But that happy medal photo does not tell the story about the days when I feared I might fail. It does not tell the story about the time I actually questioned stopping training right then and there because I felt depressed and frustrated about my progress.

I also learned so much from other runners here because I was honest about how I felt. They were willing to share their experience and help me change my way of thinking. That helped me more than I can fully express.

Thank you so much for your continued support and advice through out! It really means a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!