Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I have a job

WOOO CONGRATS! Employment >>> no employment!

Marathon Weekend 2019 is a definite go

#FOMO. I am planning on going for Star Wars next year, but the Marathon Weekend just doesn't fit into my work schedule unless things drastically change in the next few months (fingers crossed).

I've never run while working full-time before.

It's doable, and I imagine that school has prepped you well for it. I'm definitely someone that gets caught up and works too much, so if you feel like that could be your experience, I'd get used to early mornings. If I don't get it done before work -- when I lose control of my schedule -- I can very easily talk myself out of at the end of the day, once I get home.

My planned costume for the marathon will be Minnie Mouse (because it's Mickey's race and behind every great male mouse is an even greater female mouse)

YES! It's so true, and the skirt is adorable.

YASSSSS SARAH!
congratulations-gif-tumblr-3.gif

Thank you!
(And thanks Professor Snape)

I think most first jobs aren't the forever job (mine wasn't) but it's still awesome and you should be super proud!

That's almost exactly what my career success counselor said :)

It'll definitely be an adjustment figuring out when to get the runs in but I know you'll figure it out!

Thanks - I hope you're right!

HOORAY FOR THE MONEYS! I expect shopping posts. ::yes::

I will try not to disappoint!! Hopefully the first shopping post will come soonish, since my first skirt came yesterday and I think there will be a Raw Threads purchase soon...

INB tops run pretty true to size for the mostpart FYI. I forget, what kind of Garmin do you have?

Good to know.
I have the Forerunner 10 - so that's super basic entry level doesn't do much. It works okay for me, but I wouldn't say no to more features.
WOOHOO for future Disney travel! :yay: As a solo Marathon Weekend vet, I can tell you that it IS different going by yourself, but it's also kind of nice - especially on a race weekend. You get to call the shots 100%, which is a good thing with the weird hours.

I'm definitely excited about the "make my own schedule" part of it ... but that's also the part that lets me go from park open to park close with no breaks and no sleep. So we'll see how it works out.

Sorry about the no free beer and snacks, I don't get that at my job either. :sad1:

Well now I'm sad for you ...

WOOO CONGRATS! Employment >>> no employment!

Thanks! That's what I hear ....

#FOMO. I am planning on going for Star Wars next year, but the Marathon Weekend just doesn't fit into my work schedule unless things drastically change in the next few months (fingers crossed).

I haven't even thought about how it might fit into my work schedule ... hopefully it'll be fine. Work schedules are tough.

It's doable, and I imagine that school has prepped you well for it. I'm definitely someone that gets caught up and works too much, so if you feel like that could be your experience, I'd get used to early mornings. If I don't get it done before work -- when I lose control of my schedule -- I can very easily talk myself out of at the end of the day, once I get home.

I'm definitely thinking early mornings. I'm someone who can very easily let work take over my life, so time management will definitely be key.

YES! It's so true, and the skirt is adorable.

:)

I actually don't know, but if the office coffee happens to be terrible, there's a Starbucks a block away. Also ... I can always make coffee at home and bring it in with me. Also, we're in the same building as Facebook (I think), so if my office coffee is terrible, maybe I can make a friend at Facebook and then steal their coffee and free snacks.
I'm lucky where I work as there are multiple coffee machines that put out a pretty good cup of joe, and if that still doesn't cut it there is a cafe downstairs that does a fine flat white. However, while working once in our head office in western NY (yep, a long way from home), they had the worst coffee I have ever had. There was nothing that could be done to fix it, I don't know what was wrong with it, grinds, machine or a mix of all. Plus it was my first exposure to half & half/coffee mate - we have this natural substance in NZ called milk that we put in coffee... Luckily there was a Starbucks down the road...

Sorry about the no free beer and snacks, I don't get that at my job either. :sad1:
I get free wine as part of the perks of my job, and sometimes it requires on the job tasting as part of product training

I'm lucky where I work as there are multiple coffee machines that put out a pretty good cup of joe, and if that still doesn't cut it there is a cafe downstairs that does a fine flat white. However, while working once in our head office in western NY (yep, a long way from home), they had the worst coffee I have ever had. There was nothing that could be done to fix it, I don't know what was wrong with it, grinds, machine or a mix of all. Plus it was my first exposure to half & half/coffee mate - we have this natural substance in NZ called milk that we put in coffee... Luckily there was a Starbucks down the road...

We had coffee like that at school ... it was fairly undrinkable. Thankfully, there was a coffee cart downstairs (before 3pm at least) and a Starbucks across the street.
(And I'm with you on the milk ... I don't understand this creamer/half&half/whatever junk).

I get free wine as part of the perks of my job, and sometimes it requires on the job tasting as part of product training

That sounds like a terrible perk and job responsibility. I don't know how you survive it ...

Coffee Update: I don't know if I mentioned that my Starbucks was closed for remodelling for a few weeks ... well, it reopened and it's terrible. There almost no seating. And this was a place where it was always hard to find a seat, even when there was more seating. Not a fan.

ETA: it's also just not well organized. There's no sign saying where the line starts (it's not obvious if you come in one of the two doors) and there's too much empty space in all the wrong places

Coffee Update: I don't know if I mentioned that my Starbucks was closed for remodelling for a few weeks ... well, it reopened and it's terrible. There almost no seating. And this was a place where it was always hard to find a seat, even when there was more seating. Not a fan.

ETA: it's also just not well organized. There's no sign saying where the line starts (it's not obvious if you come in one of the two doors) and there's too much empty space in all the wrong places

Sounds like somebody at Starbucks needs to lose their job! Grr.

Sounds like somebody at Starbucks needs to lose their job! Grr.

I actually kinda understand why they did it (or at least why I think they did it). There have always been people who come to my Starbucks and either get nothing or just get a breakfast sandwich, and then sit(/sleep) there the whole day. I'm guessing that they reduced the seating to discourage that.
But ... I don't think it's gonna work. I think these people are still going to come and hang out all day, but now there are going to be fewer seats for the rest of us.

So, yeah ... grr.

Congrats on the job! Your shopping list is almost identical to mine: new thoracic soft tissue restrainer, new Garmin, new running skirt, and the 2019 WDW marathon. Although I don't think the marathon will happen yet... My sisters talked me into W&D, and I don't see 2 adult Disney trips in 3 months as being kind to my children! Other than that, we're on similar spending tracks!

Congrats on the job! Your shopping list is almost identical to mine: new thoracic soft tissue restrainer, new Garmin, new running skirt, and the 2019 WDW marathon. Although I don't think the marathon will happen yet... My sisters talked me into W&D, and I don't see 2 adult Disney trips in 3 months as being kind to my children! Other than that, we're on similar spending tracks!

Thanks!
That's a pretty good shopping list you have there!
I totally see your point about marathon after W&D. I've actually been thinking about W&D too, but I think it might just end up being too much for me, since it would be one of 3 Disney trips within my first year at the new job. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The "which race weekend to do" thing is a serious conundrum.

Thanks!
I totally see your point about marathon after W&D. I've actually been thinking about W&D too, but I think it might just end up being too much for me, since it would be one of 3 Disney trips within my first year at the new job. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. The "which race weekend to do" thing is a serious conundrum.
No it’s not. Marathon weekend is the clear winner!! ;)

For next year, maybe ... but that's because I've already committed myself to doing NYC marathon next year and I can't not do Disney first.
In future years, it'll be a tougher decision. I really like Princess Weekend.

I agree completely. I loved the Disney marathon (it was my second marathon), but I think I will only be back for that one on anniversary years. I love Princess weekend as well and have done it the past two years. For me, the weather seems more consistent in late February than early January and I just preferred the atmosphere over Marathon weekend. Don't get me wrong, I loved the marathon, but I can't see it working for me every year, plus there are SO many great ones out there (like NYC!).

Thanks!
Yeah I am looking at a shorter MW next year either doing only the full or Goofy so I don't have to spend as much time there during that weekend. I really like Disney but it's hard burning so much vacation time, particularly on an event that is not really restful.

For next year, maybe ... but that's because I've already committed myself to doing NYC marathon next year and I can't not do Disney first.
In future years, it'll be a tougher decision. I really like Princess Weekend.

As much as I love the Disney Marathon I think NY is an incredible experience. It doesn't have the characters, but I think the crowd support more than makes up for that fact. For people who haven't done it, I think it's hard to understand how much energy you can feel coming from the crowds along the whole course.

I'm behind but YAY for a new job that pays actual money! YAY for being able to get some new fun running things! YAY for being signed up for your races! (I see you changed your journal title.) Lots of YAYs!

But mostly, YAY for WDW Marathon weekend! :)

I agree completely. I loved the Disney marathon (it was my second marathon), but I think I will only be back for that one on anniversary years. I love Princess weekend as well and have done it the past two years. For me, the weather seems more consistent in late February than early January and I just preferred the atmosphere over Marathon weekend. Don't get me wrong, I loved the marathon, but I can't see it working for me every year, plus there are SO many great ones out there (like NYC!).

Princess was my first runDisney weekend, so it will always have a special place in my heart. I was hoping to go back this year, but then life got in the way (in a good way for once), and then next year since I'm doing marathon weekend, it'll probably be hard to go on vacation again a month later. But it really is such a great weekend, the weather's usually decent (I say usually because I ran the Sub-Freezing Frozen 5K in 2015 ... and it was 80 degrees by Sunday), and I want to go back!
I get what you're saying about there being a lot of great marathons out there. I think I'm going to be 2-and-done with marathons (WDW and NYC), but there really are so many interesting marathons out there that look so tempting...

Yeah I am looking at a shorter MW next year either doing only the full or Goofy so I don't have to spend as much time there during that weekend. I really like Disney but it's hard burning so much vacation time, particularly on an event that is not really restful.

I'm hoping to do 5K, 10K, and Marathon (I had an issue with the 10K last time so I need a redo, and I just really like the 5Ks) plus Universal for a few days after, so that's probably going to burn a decent chunk of my vacation days. Marathon weekend especially is so hard because it's a day longer than the other weekends, and if you want to do the 5K, you have to be there Wednesday.

As much as I love the Disney Marathon I think NY is an incredible experience. It doesn't have the characters, but I think the crowd support more than makes up for that fact. For people who haven't done it, I think it's hard to understand how much energy you can feel coming from the crowds along the whole course.

Everyone says that, but ... I dunno. Ask me again in November 2019 and maybe I'll have a different opinion, but ... while I want to do NYC because it's my hometown marathon, I can't imagine myself really loving it.

I'm behind but YAY for a new job that pays actual money! YAY for being able to get some new fun running things! YAY for being signed up for your races! (I see you changed your journal title.) Lots of YAYs!

:) It has been a very "yay" time lately...

But mostly, YAY for WDW Marathon weekend! :)

YES!! We have to do a big coffee meetup for all the people who will be there that weekend!

I'm hoping to do 5K, 10K, and Marathon (I had an issue with the 10K last time so I need a redo, and I just really like the 5Ks) plus Universal for a few days after, so that's probably going to burn a decent chunk of my vacation days. Marathon weekend especially is so hard because it's a day longer than the other weekends, and if you want to do the 5K, you have to be there Wednesday.

Everyone says that, but ... I dunno. Ask me again in November 2019 and maybe I'll have a different opinion, but ... while I want to do NYC because it's my hometown marathon, I can't imagine myself really loving it.
It sounds like a good trip. It does wind up being a lot of days, but with the time at universal it'll give you a chance to relax a bit afterwards.

NYC is just really over the top. Except on bridges there are people cheering the whole way and by the time you get to first Avenue, the crowds are thicker than they are on Mainstreet. For your 2 and done you are picking 2 great marathons.

I'm also debating about maybe doing Universal in 2019 again. We stayed on Disney property for this past weekend because of #alltheraces, but if we do marathon alone, then I think we might just try to do a couple of days at Universal.

NYC is just really over the top. Except on bridges there are people cheering the whole way and by the time you get to first Avenue, the crowds are thicker than they are on Mainstreet. For your 2 and done you are picking 2 great marathons.

Yes, but to get to First Ave, you have to go over the 59th St Bridge, and that's not fun. I walked that sucker my first day back at work after Superstorm Sandy (there was an issue with severe traffic and an express bus because the subways weren't running yet) and I'm not looking forward to running it.
As much as I probably sound super cynical and like I'm being forced to do this ... I am trying to keep an open mind about it. It's very possible that I'll end up loving it. I just have to survive Brooklyn (I hate Brooklyn ... nothing running related, just life), and then I'm sure it'll be great.

I'm also debating about maybe doing Universal in 2019 again. We stayed on Disney property for this past weekend because of #alltheraces, but if we do marathon alone, then I think we might just try to do a couple of days at Universal.

I haven't done Universal since 2011 (aka pre-Diagon Alley), so I really need to get back. It's hard for me, because I usually travel with my sister, who has no interest in Universal, so I feel bad wanting to drag her to a place that she likely won't enjoy very much. So on a solo trip, going to Universal is kind of a no-brainer for me.
Maybe we'll see each other at Universal!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!