Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I love hearing about your first days at work — it’s going to be great! Also, they make adapters for the new Macs that have more than on USB port, just in case.

I also ran the Frozen Freezing 5k, and then I melted in the half on Sunday. I should go back and look at races — it’s certainly motivating.

But what about the coffee?

I love hearing about your first days at work — it’s going to be great! Also, they make adapters for the new Macs that have more than on USB port, just in case.

That's good to know. The adapter my company gave me has USB, HDMI, ethernet, and something else, but ... more USB ports could be helpful. I like USB ports.

I also ran the Frozen Freezing 5k, and then I melted in the half on Sunday. I should go back and look at races — it’s certainly motivating.

I remember Sunday ... it was kind of like "how was so it so cold Friday and so hot today?? I did not envy the people running the half in that weather!

But what about the coffee?

So far I've only been to my company's office, where the solution seems to be buy coffee at the mall/food court/whatever downstairs (I thought I saw some sort of single serving coffee machine, but I never saw people use it). Monday I went to Starbucks, and yesterday I brought coffee from home. Today's my first day onsite at the client, which is where I'll be spending most of my time, so we'll see what the coffee situation is there. (Today's coffee will be Starbucks, since that's where we're meeting my boss so that he can take us over and introduce us to everyone at the client)

I loved reading your look back! Congratulations on the new job!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the look back!

From 5K to Marathon Dreaming: A Three Year Journey

Today, Facebook reminded me of something that happened three years ago ...
26521727798_74ab2af78d_c.jpg

Three years ago today (2/20), I completed my first 5K, the runDisney (Freezing) Frozen 5K. Until a few weeks before the race, I wasn't sure I'd be able to finish. Once I knew I could do it, I thought 10K might be the next step in 2-3 years, and then a half in 2020. A marathon wasn't even something I was considering.

I honestly don't know when marathon went from "never going to happen" to "two in one year." I know there was some talk a while back on @Ariel484's old training journal about the 30th anniversary in 2023. I remember last year on Facebook my friend asked me if I was doing 9+1. I fell in love with the 25th anniversary marathon medal when I saw it on Twitter. But I don't know how these factors (and any other potential factors) came together to get me to planning vacation days in January. What I do know is that, as much as I will probably panic a lot between now and January, I feel ready to do this.

In honor of the 3rd anniversary of my first race as an adult (for those of you who didn't already know this ... I did peewee races as a kid, and pretty much always came in last), I thought I'd look back on how I got to this point.

2015: My First Races
February 2015 - Princess Weekend, aka my love affair with runDisney begins
26521927428_c7c89d958f_c.jpg

I honestly don't know how anyone could possibly do a runDisney race and not fall in love. Even with the sub-freezing temperatures and characters I'd met before, this was such an amazing and fun race. In fact, as a result of walking this race, my sister decided to start running so that we could do a runDisney 10K in 2016 (in case anyone was curious how my schedule got accelerated ... it was all Beth).

November 2015 - Prospect Park Turkey Trot 5 Mile, aka I can love local races too
40347942082_5f876bd8bf_c.jpg

I did this race to help me bridge the gap between 5K and 10K. I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. This was the first year of what would become an annual Thanksgiving morning tradition for me (Beth sat this one out because she was injured).

2016: My First 10K
January 2016 - Marathon Weekend 5K & 10K, aka rain is the worst
40348007192_e88270877b_c.jpg

5K - Beth and I did this one together, super casual (partially because both of us were recovering from injuries). Lots of fun characters (I forced Beth to stop for every character, even ones we don't care about), and it really reinforced our love of runDisney.

25520907967_dcf8b0d6e9_z.jpg

10K - This was the disaster race. Serious rain made for fewer characters and overall not my favorite experience. I decided to make the best of it, but I knew I needed a do-over at some point. I was hoping to get back the next year, but alas, it was not to be.

November 2016 - PPTC Turkey Trot 5 Mile, aka my first repeat race
40392955641_1defd58258_c.jpg

I assume you guys all recognize me by the skirt ... this race was actually the debut of the NYC skirt, which I had bought a few weeks earlier at the NYC marathon expo.

2017: Run Local (The Year of 9 Races)
February 2017 - Central Park Half Marathon, aka my first half
25521001567_9b493cb0da_c.jpg

After a lot of deliberation, in which I determined that I was ready for a half but wasn't going to make it to a Disney half just yet, I signed up for this. I learned that I hate running in Central Park, but at the end of the day ... I was a half marathoner, and that was something pretty amazing.

June 2017 - Narrows Half Marathon & YIJE L'Chaim 5K, aka run with family and friends
40393071101_ae7ed6ea1d_c.jpg

Narrows Half Marathon - I ran this because my cousin was coming up from Maryland to run it. My cousin from NJ also ran it. They both finished a bit ahead of me, but it was nice to experience this with them (especially because there were a few out and backs in this, so we crossed paths a few times)

40348136672_7ced9cc3a5_c.jpg

YIJE L'Chaim 5K - This is my synagogue's annual 5K. I volunteered the first year. I've thought about running it once or twice since (I think my brother did run it when he was in high school). It was nice to run around my stomping grounds surrounded by a community of people, some of whom I've known for 30+ years.

July 2017 - Firecracker 5K, aka "A Race A Month" Continues
25521096537_722fc383f0_c.jpg

I don't know where my one race a month idea came from, but it happened. This was my July entry. It was hot and I didn't bring my own water (and I didn't feel like they had enough on the course). It was on Governor's Island, which is beautiful, and it really wasn't a bad race at all.

August 2017 - France Run 8K, aka My first (adult NYRR)
This was yet another brutal Central Park race. But ... it showed me that while I am one of the slower runners at NYRR races, I'm not the slowest, and there's no reason to be afraid of NYRR races.

October-November 2017 - Haunted Island 10K, RangersTown 5K, PPTC Turkey Trot 5 Mile, aka 3 races in less than a month
38582601710_24052a7dd0_z.jpg

Haunted Island 10K - In which I achieved a PR that I couldn't even imagine was possible. I don't know when I managed to pick up that kind of speed, but ... it felt kind of amazing to smash all of my expectations and goals.

40348205632_2df1b29f35_z.jpg

RangersTown 5K - My favorite non-Disney race. Possibly my favorite race period. In addition to an unimaginable PR, I also had an incredible amount of fun. This was the perfect race.

40348139772_e39c989d44_c.jpg

PPTC 5 Mile - Year 3. Didn't love it as much this year ... maybe because I knew what else was out there for me. Next year's return is questionable.

2018: 9+1
January 2018 - Fred Lebow Manhattan Half, aka begin all the qualifying
40348205742_6ee8882ab7_b.jpg

Not my best race by a long shot, but the first step towards reaching some incredible goals that I never thought would be possible.

PRs:
5K - 30:40 (RangersTown 5K, 11/12/17)
5 Mi - 55:33 (PPTC Turkey Trot, 11/24/2016)
10K - 1:05:36 (Haunted Island 10K, 10/29/2017)
Half Marathon - 2:31:08 (Narrows Half Marathon, 6/4/2017)

In pictures and a few words, that's my last three years of running. It's really been such an incredible journey, and the races are only a small part of that. I'm very excited to see what the next year brings.

(I was going to also post some long run related thoughts that came out of this past week's run and a conversation with Coach DB, but I've officially been awake for almost 20 hours now, so I should probably go to sleep now (stay tuned for those thoughts). Still no idea what I'm wearing tomorrow (first day onsite at the client), though ... ahhhh!!!)

What a great review! I always like looking back because it helps you appreciate even more where you are and where you want to go. Congrats on a successful journey thus far!

What I do know is that, as much as I will probably panic a lot between now and January, I feel ready to do this.
I can relate to this! All of a sudden, it's marathon time! It's definitely a mental mindset that one needs to get into...yes you'll panic, but if you train, you'll be ready!

Love your brief running history, it really strikes me how happy you look in all of your race pictures! :goodvibes

LOVED that look back post. So great to see how far you have come and you are totally ready to become a marathoner. I'm so happy to get to follow your journey and (hopefully) get to even see you on marathon weekend next year!

What a great review! I always like looking back because it helps you appreciate even more where you are and where you want to go. Congrats on a successful journey thus far!

Thank you! In life, I'm one of those people who hates looking back on the journey because I focus on the negatives. In running, it's completely different, because even with some small bumps in the road, most of what I see is progress and signs of what the future can bring, so it's always nice to look back and reflect.

I can relate to this! All of a sudden, it's marathon time! It's definitely a mental mindset that one needs to get into...yes you'll panic, but if you train, you'll be ready!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way! I know there will be a lot of "mental training" necessary to get into the marathon mindset ... but I have faith that I'll get there (mentally and physically)

Love your brief running history, it really strikes me how happy you look in all of your race pictures! :goodvibes

Thanks! Mostly that's either smiling for the camera or smiling because the race is finally over :)

I really enjoyed reading about your past 3 running years and races- thanks for sharing! You have big things ahead!! Go girl!

Thank you!! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

LOVED that look back post. So great to see how far you have come and you are totally ready to become a marathoner. I'm so happy to get to follow your journey and (hopefully) get to even see you on marathon weekend next year!

Thank you so much! I really hope I get to see you in January!

Loved your look back and the huge smile on your face during every run!

Thank you! That smile is mostly because I saw cameras, but ... it still counts. Sort of.

LOVED your look back! Always fun to see people's journey!

Decent office coffee is better than no office coffee, but good luck on the milk front. Maybe you will finally come to the ~dark~ side.

LOVED your look back! Always fun to see people's journey!

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Decent office coffee is better than no office coffee, but good luck on the milk front. Maybe you will finally come to the ~dark~ side.

That was just the small kitchen near where I sit. I later went to the bigger kitchen (two fridges and a freezer!) and that kitchen had skim milk. Crisis averted. No black coffee necessary :)

myNYRR Account Update: 2/22

NYRR opened registration for their next set of races today. Here's what my myNYRR account looks like right now (yay early bird pricing):
upload_2018-2-22_22-37-19.png

There are 6 races on that list (including the Nutella Race and the 7-miler that I'm super excited for). Add that to the one race I've already done, and that's 7 of my 9 races for 9+1.
The "missing" two races are also available for registration, but both of them I'm holding off on for a little bit for scheduling reasons.

In other news ...
I watched Top Chef live today! I'm kinda sad that Carrie got sent home, but I kinda knew it was coming. Right now I think Adrienne may be my favorite, followed by non-mustache Joe. But that might change before the finale.
I can tell you that mustache Joe is my least favorite and if he wins, I'm not going to be a happy camper.
Which, with my luck, probably means that he will win.

Last edited:
Um ... I may have just bought a smart scale.
In my defense, this came after two weeks of forgetting my Friday morning weigh-in because I was already dressed with shoes on and/or halfway through breakfast by the time I went downstairs. So I kinda wanted a scale for my bathroom. The one I bought (Nokia something ... more on that when it comes) allegedly syncs with most or all of the apps I use (and it does it over wi-fi, so I don't even have to remember to turn my bluetooth on), so I can just step on the scale and forget about it. Also, apparently it gives you the weather. Because that makes perfect sense.

Also ... remember when I started this journal and I was like "don't expect me to update ever" and now I update every fifteen minutes?
Yeah, I really like talking to myself on the internet. Thanks for reading and making it less awkward.
Also ... hopefully at some point this week I will have a real update with miscellaneous stuff (including #buysomeofthethings and thoughts on the long run). And then next week or early the following week I'll have a pre-race update, because the United Airlines Half (aka Run the Friendly Roads) is less than a month away!

Late chiming in, but wanted to say that I loved your running recap! What a start to your journey! Can’t wait to see what comes next for you.

Late chiming in, but wanted to say that I loved your running recap! What a start to your journey! Can’t wait to see what comes next for you.

Thank you! It's definitely been an interesting (in a good way) journey and I'm excited to see (and share) what the future brings.

Speaking of the future ...
I think I'm ready for my first InB. Which means time to call in the reinforcements @Ariel484 @roxymama @ZellyB @disneydaydreamer33 ... and everyone else I'm forgetting.
I'm trying to decide between two things: (sorry about the huge pictures, but I stole them from the InB website)
IMG_2112__42686.1519414143.1280.1280.jpg

This is the current InB preorder, Women's Origami Fan Hoodie. I like the design a lot (and I would even be terrible and try to wear it with my red polka dot skirt), but it's a touch expensive for me. Also, even though they say it can be worn year-round, I'm not convinced it will be appropriate for my potential Japan-themed race in May (layering-wise ... design-wise it's perfect).

W-Plum-Crane-Tech-Front__83580.1505938508.1280.1280.jpg

This is the Women's Kaze Tech Shirt. The price is a little more affordable, and I do like cherry blossoms. The problem is, because I rarely wear short sleeves, there will be a lot of layering (although I've actually started running in short sleeves a bit more during the summer). Also, I don't know what skirt I'd wear it with, but if I do end up getting that black skirt I've been talking about forever, that would be perfect with this.

I'm honestly not sure which top (if any) I'm going to get, but ... I should probably decide within the next 24 hours or so because the pre-order closes tomorrow at noon PST.

Also, a little help with sizing, please! I tend to be between medium and large. My one runDisney tech shirt is a size large, and it's wearable but a little loose. Lately I've been going with medium for my race shirts, and they've been decent, but a few are a drop tight (but not too small, I'm just really used to wearing loose clothing, which I know InB is not meant to be). I'm thinking my best bet is probably medium, but ... any thoughts?

Thank you! It's definitely been an interesting (in a good way) journey and I'm excited to see (and share) what the future brings.

Speaking of the future ...
I think I'm ready for my first InB. Which means time to call in the reinforcements @Ariel484 @roxymama @ZellyB @disneydaydreamer33 ... and everyone else I'm forgetting.
I'm trying to decide between two things: (sorry about the huge pictures, but I stole them from the InB website)
IMG_2112__42686.1519414143.1280.1280.jpg

This is the current InB preorder, Women's Origami Fan Hoodie. I like the design a lot (and I would even be terrible and try to wear it with my red polka dot skirt), but it's a touch expensive for me. Also, even though they say it can be worn year-round, I'm not convinced it will be appropriate for my potential Japan-themed race in May (layering-wise ... design-wise it's perfect).

W-Plum-Crane-Tech-Front__83580.1505938508.1280.1280.jpg

This is the Women's Kaze Tech Shirt. The price is a little more affordable, and I do like cherry blossoms. The problem is, because I rarely wear short sleeves, there will be a lot of layering (although I've actually started running in short sleeves a bit more during the summer). Also, I don't know what skirt I'd wear it with, but if I do end up getting that black skirt I've been talking about forever, that would be perfect with this.

I'm honestly not sure which top (if any) I'm going to get, but ... I should probably decide within the next 24 hours or so because the pre-order closes tomorrow at noon PST.

Also, a little help with sizing, please! I tend to be between medium and large. My one runDisney tech shirt is a size large, and it's wearable but a little loose. Lately I've been going with medium for my race shirts, and they've been decent, but a few are a drop tight (but not too small, I'm just really used to wearing loose clothing, which I know InB is not meant to be). I'm thinking my best bet is probably medium, but ... any thoughts?

Yay! I can only comment on techs and singlets for sizing. For the tech I say go large. If you layer under it it'll give some room for that. I also find the techs are not super long (I'm 5'9" though) so any extra length is helpful. I am in between med and large too and the large fit just fine.
I almost bought that tech, it's very pretty. A navy blue or black skirt would look nice.

The fabric is very comfy. I have t gotten a jacket either...cause $$$$
One day I will

Yay! I can only comment on techs and singlets for sizing. For the tech I say go large. If you layer under it it'll give some room for that. I also find the techs are not super long (I'm 5'9" though) so any extra length is helpful. I am in between med and large too and the large fit just fine.
I almost bought that tech, it's very pretty. A navy blue or black skirt would look nice.

The fabric is very comfy. I have t gotten a jacket either...cause $$$$
One day I will

Thanks for the tips! It looks like they don't have the tech in large ( :( ), but they do have a few other ones I like in large, so we'll see what I decide.
Although I don't need the length as much as you do since I'm almost half a foot shorter than you (I'm somewhere between 5'3" and 5'4", depending on the day) ... but I like my shirts on the longer side sometimes, so length is nice :)

Here's the shirt through a different retailer:
http://the-ultra-running-company.sh...urn-inknburn-tech-tee-w-kaze.html?id=16903408

I have the shirt and like it - I do agree that it's a little hard to match. I would wear it with solid black/grey/denim-type bottoms. I agree that if you want to layer under it that large may be a better choice.

I am passing on the pre-order this time around but I do have that in the Rose pattern, which I also like a lot. The fabric is a little thicker (the inside feels almost fleece-y) and I find I actually wear it as a lighter jacket in the spring, I don't think I have ever run in mine. I like the thumbholes. The sizing was wonky on the Rose hoodie and most everyone that bought one ended up having to size up, but they say they have fixed that for this one so it should be more accurate size-wise. Again if you want to layer under it, large may be the way to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter