Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Congratulations!

Thank you!

Awesome!!! Boy did they make you suffer to find out! But it's worth it :)

Thanks! Yeah, I would have liked to have found out about 12 hours earlier, but ... whatever. At least I'm in. And I got my email a few minutes ago, so it's really official (also, apparently they're thrilled to have me in this year's field).

Congrats!!!!!

Now if only United would actually come up with a race where you get to actually "fly the friendly skies" with like a jet pack or something instead of having to, you know, run.

So happy you got in!

Congrats on getting in! :cool1:

Thank you!!

Wahoo! Congrats on getting in, and love the new title!

Thanks! (And thanks for noticing the title!)

WOOHOOOO! You got in and you get to school from home! Good times all around! :banana:

Thanks!
(And yeah, there's nothing quite like being able to school in my pajama pants)

Congrats!!!!!

Now if only United would actually come up with a race where you get to actually "fly the friendly skies" with like a jet pack or something instead of having to, you know, run.

So happy you got in!

Thank you! I'm pretty happy that I got in too :)
I can't decide if a jet pack race would be awesome or terrifying. But that might be because I'm fairly afraid of heights.

The suspense would have killed me! Congrats on getting in!!!

Thanks! The suspense was pretty close to killing me ... I was a mess yesterday.

Woo-hoo! Congrats! So. Much. Suspense. But worth it!

Thank you!! Definitely too much suspense. Hopefully worth it.

Yay! Congrats!

And I’ll definitely be in touch about the February race. I know it’s the 4 Miler the same day as the Super Bowl.

Yay! Congrats!

And I’ll definitely be in touch about the February race. I know it’s the 4 Miler the same day as the Super Bowl.

Thank you!!

I haven't finalized my race schedule for the next few months yet, but I'll most likely either be volunteering or running that one (my preference as of right now is to volunteer, but I have to figure out a few other things first). So definitely be in touch - hopefully I'll see you there!!

Me Yesterday: Oh, I'm schooling from home, I'll have plenty of time for life stuff.
Me Today: Finally puts away the MacBook at 8:45ish after schooling almost all day and then has life stuff to do.

But, somehow, the plan is here ...

Run the Friendly Roads: Part 2
The Race … And the Year

Let’s start with the easy stuff … the race.

It starts at 7 AM in Brooklyn. I am allergic to both 7 AM and Brooklyn, so that’s going to be interesting . Current plan is for my dad to drive me, which is very awesome of him. (We haven’t decided yet if he’s then picking me up after the race or if I’m taking the subway, but I can wait a few months to make that decision).
Game plan for the race itself … I dunno. I want to say that I want to go for enjoying the experience more than a PR, but we’ll see how I feel closer to the race. I tend to go for the PR even when I’m not going for the PR. It just kinda happens. I’ve got a few months (and another half) before the race, so I can take time to think about it.

So, that’s all I can say about March 18th. But what about the rest of 2018?

When I first mentioned this race, I also mentioned two NYRR Programs – 4 of 6 (aka Five-Borough Series) and 9+1.

To recap:
If you run 4 of the following 6 races in a year, you get guaranteed entry into the following year’s United Airlines NYC Half:
  • NYRR Fred Lebow Manhattan Half
  • United Airlines NYC Half Marathon
  • NYRR Brooklyn Half
  • NYRR Queens 10K
  • New Balance Bronx 10 Mile
  • NYRR Staten Island Half

I am currently registered for the Fred Lebow Manhattan Half and the United Airlines NYC Half. Plan is to also register for the New Balance Bronx 10 Mile and NYRR Staten Island Half when those become available (if Queens 10K happens to be on Sunday this year, I’ll swap that out for the Bronx 10 Mile). Assuming I finish all 4 races, that should qualify me for the 2019 United Airlines NYC Half without any of this stressful lottery stuff.

9+1 is a program for guaranteed entry into the NYC Marathon. If you are a NYRR member, run any 9 qualifying races and volunteer at one qualifying race, you are guaranteed entry into the following year’s TCS NYC Marathon. I think I’m going for it (although I’m not yet sure if I’ll actually register for & run the marathon).

There are a lot of races that can count, but right now I have 10 races I’m looking at running and 3 I’m looking at volunteering. Which 9 of the 10 races I do will depend on some other schedule things (I just made this list now without looking at my calendar to see if I have any conflicts, so everything is subject to change). For volunteering, I want to do it early, so the first race on the list is my first choice, and the others are options for if something goes wrong.

Also, dates for a lot of these are tentative – NYRR doesn’t announce their race schedule very far in advance, so I’m just basing things on last year’s dates.

Races To Run:
  • January 21st – Fred Lebow Manhattan Half (registered)(Five Borough Series)
  • March 18th – United Airlines NYC Half (registered)(Five Borough Series)
  • April 22nd – Run As One (4M) Presented by JPMorgan Chase
  • May 13th – Japan Run (4M)
  • June 3rd – Retro 5-Miler
  • July 26th – R-U-N 5K
  • August 19th – France Run 8K (this is likely to get dropped because I didn’t love it this year, but we’ll see how scheduling works out)
  • September 23rd – New Balance Bronx 10 Miler (Five Borough Series)
  • October 7th – Staten Island Half (Five Borough Series)
  • November 18th – Race to Deliver 4M

Races To Volunteer:
  • February 4th – Gridiron 4M/Longest Football Throw (Preferred Option)
  • March 4th – Washington Heights Salsa, Blues, and Shamrocks 5K
  • April 29th – UAE Healthy Kidney 10K

So, that’s what I’m thinking. Expect more information on all of this as things continue to develop. I will probably start registering for more races early in 2018 and we’ll go from there.

Sorry that this is all words and no pictures ... see above comment about school.

So jealous that you live somewhere with so many options for races. We only have a few decent local races so we have to travel at least a few hours usually to find races.

So jealous that you live somewhere with so many options for races. We only have a few decent local races so we have to travel at least a few hours usually to find races.
I was thinking that same thing! I have my 2018 races picked but only a few a local and those are all 5ks & a Triathlon.

I can't wait to see how your 2018 turns out! Looks like a lot of fun!

I was thinking that same thing! I have my 2018 races picked but only a few a local and those are all 5ks & a Triathlon.

I think this is just the NY vs. Not NY thing ... there's a lot of everything in NY. Including tourists.
(But yeah, it is pretty cool that there's such a big selection of races).

I can't wait to see how your 2018 turns out! Looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks - hopefully it will be as much fun as it looks!

In other news ... I am officially a coding bootcamp graduate. My graduation was today. They played pomp & circumstance and I only cried a little. Now I get to spend my time looking for a job so that I can pay for all these races...

In other news ... I am officially a coding bootcamp graduate. My graduation was today. They played pomp & circumstance and I only cried a little. Now I get to spend my time looking for a job so that I can pay for all these races...

Yay!! Congratulations Sarah!! Good luck with the job search!

That is quite a full race calendar! :worship: The 4/6 and 9+1 programs are awesome. Definitely nice options to avoid future lotteries.

Congrats on graduation smarty pants!! :yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!