Runaway Railway delayed, bad news for Galaxy`s Edge crowds?

Davey Jones II

DIS Veteran
As many of you probably heard by now, the new Mickey and Minnie ride is delayed to Spring 2020. I am wondering what you think about the impact on DHS after GE. Will this mean that the park won`t be able to absorb the crowds packing the place for GE? Personally, I think the delay is very bad news, because I think a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride would be almost as popular as the new Star Wars rides, thus taking some pressure off the new land. Thoughts?

It doesn’t help but I don’t believe it would absorb SWGE like one might think. The attraction isn’t set to take 2000+ people per hour.

I don’t really think it will make a difference one way or the other. I know there were people hoping to go on the Runaway Railway on their fall trips, but planning to avoid SWGE anyways. Maybe it will just help to encourage people to skip HS altogether for the time being.

I think this explains why the lightning mcqueen attraction was rolled out so quickly. We saw it opening week, it was neat but some aspects felt slapdash. The animatronic was cool but it felt like they could have done more with the wraparound video screen.

That park needs at least one more attraction to peel ppl off from galaxy’s edge. Maybe a second show in the beauty and the beast theatre or running 2 fantasmics a night to tempt ppl away from swge.

I don't think the attraction would have made a huge difference to absorb alot of the crowd like Indy or TGMR did.
But, I was looking forward to it this fall as it sounds like a fun ride. Hope its open before we go next spring.

I don’t really think it will make a difference one way or the other. I know there were people hoping to go on the Runaway Railway on their fall trips, but planning to avoid SWGE anyways. Maybe it will just help to encourage people to skip HS altogether for the time being.

With the delay of Runaway Railroad, the lack of EMM during our stay, and the expected SGE crowds we will probably just completely skip GS for our fall trips. Our son would love the new Lightening McQueen attraction but I'm not sure if its worth braving the crowds just for that, plus Im worried about its wait times with SGE crowds and no FP.

While I don't think it would've made a huge difference in the crowds, I do hope they add more things to HS to pull people away from GE.

I was hoping it would open just to add one more thing to do because there really isn't that much at HS. We aren't "show" people necessarily so HS is a half day park for us.

I was hoping it would be open by our November trip. It's a combination of wanting to ride it and knowing that more open attractions will help lower waits. Maybe it won't appeal to the hard core SW fans who are only there for GE, but I also think there are going to be a lot of people who want to do both GE and the rest of HS. The casual SW fan or person who is on a once-in-a-lifetime trip to WDW may not be going specifically for GE, but I don't think they're going to avoid it, either. They'll go to HS, see how long the waits at GE are, and then end up in the rest of the park. Or maybe they'll book their 3 FPs but plan on spending the rest of their day waiting in GE. Either way, I'm more nervous about the HS crowds than I was before this announcement.

I'm so disappointed in this delay. I had planned to visit HS twice on our November trip, but I am bumping that down to 1 day. It was something I figured would appease my kid enough to endure us going to GE, since she couldn't care less about Star Wars.

I think it will have an overall impact, it's one less attraction to divert what will likely be record crowds for that park. And it wasn't just a one and done filler type attraction like Lightning McQueen, we are talking about what will eventually be a major headliner for the park. I know there were talks of it opening as early as early September, so the delay into 2020 is significant. I would've thought they would at least be pushing to try and align it with the full opening of GE (second phase).

I really don`t think that lots of people will be going to WDW just for GE; the real Star Wars nuts will be invading Disneyland, because that is the first one opening.

This is a good point. The only exception will be local APs and/or media who will flock to the WDW GE on Aug 29th opening day. But, I don't see this having a huge impact resort wide because as you said the true nuts will have done Disneyland, the locals won't be on resort and they are doing the Phase 1 opening at one of the quietest times of the year which is quiet for a reason. I don't see that many suddenly booking a trip during a time of year that they can't or wouldn't go to normally. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I already had my tripped planned for 8/23 to 9/2 and hoping for the best!

This is a good point. The only exception will be local APs and/or media who will flock to the WDW GE on Aug 29th opening day. But, I don't see this having a huge impact resort wide because as you said the true nuts will have done Disneyland, the locals won't be on resort and they are doing the Phase 1 opening at one of the quietest times of the year which is quiet for a reason. I don't see that many suddenly booking a trip during a time of year that they can't or wouldn't go to normally. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because I already had my tripped planned for 8/23 to 9/2 and hoping for the best!

Yeah, the upside is that SW nuts always want to be the first to experience something related to SW, so they have to go to Disneyland for that. But I still expect considerable crowds at DHS after the opening; at least TSL is also very popular.

Well it won't effect me at all to build this ride they got rid of my very favorite ride The Great Movie Ride. So while it won't bother them at all my personal strike is to never ride it.

Personally, I think the delay is very bad news, because I think a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride would be almost as popular as the new Star Wars rides, thus taking some pressure off the new land. Thoughts?

I don't think there's a hope in hell that a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride will be anywhere close to the insane level of popularity of the new Star Wars rides. Star Wars fans are RABID. They camped out overnight even to see the ****ty prequels in the early 2000s. I like Star Wars, but I personally will be avoiding the Galaxy's Edge area like the plague for probably years to come as I have zero patience for fighting massive crowds. I still haven't had the patience to wait and do the Flight of Passage. Life is too short for me to wait hours for a single ride...but Star Wars fanatics sure will. This will be like nothing before I'm afraid.

I was hoping it would open just to add one more thing to do because there really isn't that much at HS. We aren't "show" people necessarily so HS is a half day park for us.

Us too. I LOVE the rides they do have (ToT is my favourite ride in all the parks probably), but it isn't enough. I couldn't care less about parades and shows, etc.

I don't think there's a hope in hell that a new Mickey and Minnie dark ride will be anywhere close to the insane level of popularity of the new Star Wars rides. Star Wars fans are RABID. They camped out overnight even to see the ****ty prequels in the early 2000s. I like Star Wars, but I personally will be avoiding the Galaxy's Edge area like the plague for probably years to come as I have zero patience for fighting massive crowds. I still haven't had the patience to wait and do the Flight of Passage. Life is too short for me to wait hours for a single ride...but Star Wars fanatics sure will. This will be like nothing before I'm afraid.

Last time I checked, Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are also EXTREMELY popular, especially in a Disney park.

Last time I checked, Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are also EXTREMELY popular, especially in a Disney park.

I know they are popular (and I like them too), but they don't even come close to Star Wars popular. I don't see people camped out for days before the opening of a new Mickey Mouse movie the way Star Wars fans have done for new Star Wars movies in the past, etc. You might not like what I said, but it is the truth. If the Runaway Railway opening crowds come close to causing the park to have to add 3 extra hours per day for a couple months straight then I'll eat my words...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter