Running Renaissance: Road to Paris 2024

Good for you for running those 15 miles on the track. I think after 5 I would be going nuts. But I feel you on the winter weather. I am so ready for Spring.

Handheld lap counters seems like a great option! With our 12 laps/mile track at the Y I run out of fingers and give up counting every time !
Our track recently changed from 1/16 to 1/8 mile which has made it slightly easier to not lose track. It's still a struggle though. Best advice I have is to split it up into smaller chunks. That way is you mess up it's just was that 12 or 13? Instead of 53 or 63.

Good for you for running those 15 miles on the track. I think after 5 I would be going nuts. But I feel you on the winter weather. I am so ready for Spring.
The track isn't really all that bad. I'd much rather be outside of course but the other people on the track keep it somewhat interesting. Before the track was extended, it went around an open area where all the classes were taught. Watching the Zumba, bodypump, etc. was always a distraction.

Week 13: I think I’m over this rhyming thing….it was fun while it lasted…sorta
Congrats everyone! We survived January! That last week was brutal. I spent a lot more time with my treadmill than I would have liked but I got it done. I’m thankful to have it, but if I don’t have to use it again for a while, that’d be okay too. Look at these stickers!
IMG_3201.JPG

29/31 days with a workout! I don’t keep as detailed running logs as I used to so it’s hard for me to know the monthly mileage, but I think it was right around 160 for January. Not a bad start to the year!

The end of January also means, we’re getting closer to Princess Weekend! The biggest excitement of the week was that waivers and corrals were released on Thursday. Waivers were shared before the corrals and I spent a few anxious hours worrying about my corral…my bib number was less than 10 away from the cutoff to A according to 2018 corrals. I checked the interwebs again before bed and found the 2019 corrals. Corral A is about 100 runners larger this year (but still considerably smaller than the others) and I made it. I’ve always wanted to live that Corral A life! Disney is the only place I’d expect to be in the first corral. Any other local races there are plenty of speedier people at least a corral or two in front of me.

I still haven’t figured out a strategy and as I said before, this may be decided day of. Someone from my running club is also running and offered to run together. I’ve actually never ran a Disney race with someone so I can’t decide if I want to or not. I like being able to stop when I want and to keep going when I don’t. On the other hand, it might be fun to have someone to share the experience with. Maybe next week I’ll have a decision…maybe. Eventually, I’ll have to decide on my goals and that will probably influence whether I run solo or not.

Monday: Easy 7 Miles
We went to a concert Sunday night and didn’t get home until midnight. You aren’t really living until you’ve sang along to one of your favorite songs with thousands of strangers. No regrets.

IMG_3187.JPG

As someone who pretty much requires 8 hours of sleep, waking up at 5am for running was out of the question. I was hoping someone would come plow our street for the first time in 4 days and I’d be able to get outside before the polar vortex. When that didn’t happen, it was back to the treadmill. Thankfully, nothing too exciting happened during the run. I tested out the new shoes again and no problems there.

Tuesday: 4x1200m
Last speed session! Went really well. It definitely helps to have some movies ready to watch and zone out on the treadmill. Without the distraction, it would have been a rough go.

Wednesday: JM Workout 7
Last time! Thank the heavens. I keep telling myself it’s difficult but that is exactly why I need to keep at it. Crow pushups can just go fly a kite as far as I’m concerned.
618qYgi0r2L._SX466_.jpg

Thursday: 8 Miles @ Tempo (8:46)
I woke up Thursday exhausted so decided to head back to sleep for an hour and make it an afternoon run. I didn’t actually get back to sleep though because I just tossed and turned worried that I wouldn’t run later. My worrying paid off though because I did complete by tempo run later that afternoon. The pace felt quick but sustainable. Towards the end I was definitely ready to slow down but it seemed easier than last week.

Friday: Easy 5 Miles
My goal on Friday was to run outside again. However, Friday morning it was still below 0 and everything covered in snow. We were supposed to get 1 inch….We got almost 5. Down to the treadmill I went. Boring but efficient.

Saturday: Easy 7 Miles
Finally outside again! Husband wanted to go the gym so I left from there. Some of the pathways were clearer than others. I had to climb a few snow piles to cross the streets which was annoying and slowed me down. I was supposed to run 8 miles but had agreed to be back at the gym in 90 minutes and the slower pace meant I only made it 7.

Sunday: 10 Mile Long Run
By Sunday morning, most of our snow was melted so I felt good about going outside. There were a few giant snow melt puddles so I still ended up with soggy socks. I tried to slow down and pick the least splashy path but I’m not sure that really mattered at all.
IMG_3212.JPG

This vandalism really made me smile. What you can’t really tell from the photo is there’s a brewery in the distance. It’s the one story blue/gray building hidden by trees.

Week 14: I’m going to be in Chicago Friday evening through Sunday morning so still not sure how this weekend’s runs will shake out. The weather is going to be cold but not polar vortex cold. I know the 16 miler is critical but I’m not sure I can run 16 miles on a treadmill. Hopefully the lakefront is warm enough and clear enough I can rack up some mileage there. I’m going to play it by ear and I may switch the long run to Saturday if that’s the better option.
Monday: 5 Easy Miles
Tuesday: 6x1mi – First one at Strength pace (8:36)

Wednesday: Workout 8 – Last time!
Thursday: 8 Mile Tempo
Friday: 5 Easy Miles

Saturday: 8 Easy Miles + Runner Strength
Sunday: 16 Mile Long Run

Congrats on Corral A!!! :cool1:
Thanks! I was so relieved. I knew my POT should place me there but you just never know. Before I found the corrals, there was some minor tantrums I might be in B. My husband didn't understand why it mattered at all. From any corral, it's a fun race. I just wanted what I deserved.

Week 14 & 15ish:
It seemed silly to post a really late week 14 update without providing some insight into how week 15 is going, so this week’s post is a bonus…Two weeks in one! Training had been going really well up until the tail end of last week. Long story short, I almost escaped cold & flu season. Things went downhill on Sunday and still haven’t quite made it back up the hill. I am feeling much better now and confident I’ll be able to get some runs in the coming days. Thank goodness for that because I would not be a happy princess if I had to miss my races next week.

Also, my experiment of being a morning runner may be coming to an end. As the midweek runs got longer, I tried to wake up at 5:00 instead of 5:30. It did not go well. I really like getting my workout done in the morning but this 5 am stuff is for the birds. Actually, it’s not even for the birds because it’s still dark out and they are fast asleep. The other thing working against these longer workouts in the morning is that I don’t eat breakfast first. While I haven’t noticed any adverse effects yet, I’m guessing one should probably eat something before these double digit tempo and strength runs. So anyway, I’m going to continue waking early and doing the morning workouts on MWF but switch Tues & Thurs to afternoon. With any luck, spring will show up soon and I’ll get to enjoy some nice outdoor runs.

Monday: Easy 5 Miles
I woke up and checked the weather for rain. The coast was clear so I let the dog out and gathered running clothes. As I was in the bathroom preparing, it started down pouring. It’s still a bit too cold for me to run in the rain by choice so I opted for an after work run. Well, that didn’t go as planned. It was less rainy but also incredibly windy and bitter cold. After being cold at work all day, I couldn’t put myself through the mile or so of cold until I warmed up. Down to the treadmill I went. Bucky was not happy.

Tuesday: 6 x 1 mi
This was my first strength paced run and it took me a long time to convince myself I was going to complete it. I woke up at 5 and was still half asleep. I was halfway through my warm up and debating calling it quits. Fortunately, toward the end of the warm up, I was feeling much better so went on with the workout. The pace felt manageable for the mile repeats but I know it’s going to get tougher as the reps get longer. I miscalculated my time a bit and had to cut the cool down from 1.25 mi to .75 mi so I could make it to work for my 8am meeting. Whoops.

Wednesday: JM Workout 8
I don’t know if it was my sleepiness or some tiredness in my legs from the run before, but this would have been one funny workout to watch. I was extra wobbly during all the lunges and squats. Luckily, I made it through without falling on my face, but it was definitely questionable.

Thursday: 8 Miles @ Tempo (8:46)
My alarm went off at 5 and I just couldn’t do it. I immediately reset my alarm for an hour later and went back to sleep. As the day went on, I could feel soreness creeping into my legs from the workout on Wednesday. I started debating in my head if I really wanted to do this run. Ultimately, I kept my eye on that sub 4:00 marathon goal and hit the treadmill after work.

Besides stopping a couple of times to let Bucky out to do her business, the run went really well. Physically, the pace felt good. Mentally, it was a struggle. I was counting down the minutes. If I can’t get outside soon, I’m going to need something more engaging to watch on TV for these runs.

Friday: Easy 5 Miles
It was -20 WC outside when I woke up. That coupled with all of the recent ice, meant there was zero chance I was running outside so I hit the treadmill again. Other than forgetting my water at the beginning, there wasn’t really anything notable about this run.

Saturday: Easy 8 Miles

Finally made it outside again but it was cold. I think it was roughly 7 degrees but I was in Chicago and not passing up the opportunity to run on the lakefront. The only notable thing about this run is that my water bottles froze! I didn’t realize this was a thing. I assumed the movement and heat of my body would prevent this but I guess not.

Oh yeah, this also happened. I haven’t been by here in a number of years and it seemed totally necessary.

cloud.jpg

Sunday - Friday
I’ve missed so many workouts this week it’s silly to list them all. I’m really rather bummed about it because things were going so well. I know one workout here or there isn’t that big of an impact, but a whole week in a row? Yikes! I’ll be crossing my fingers this ship gets back on course because it’s only 7 weeks until marathon embarkation.

Week 16: On Sunday, I leave for Orlando for a work conference M-W. Then a friend is meeting me for a quick WDW trip Thurs-Sun. Winter has really put on quite the show recently, and counting down to this week in Orlando has helped me push through it.
Saturday: 3-5 Easy Miles depending on how I feel
Sunday: Scheduled for 10 Mile Long Run – definitely playing this one by ear though
Monday: 7 Easy Miles
Tuesday: 5K Race

Wednesday: 6 Easy Miles
Thursday: 9 Mile Tempo
Friday: Off
Saturday: Princess 10K
Sunday: Princess HM

Corral A is awesome!!! And, I love Chicago so much. Running on the lake front is just the best.

Have a great time at Princess.

Corral A is awesome!!! And, I love Chicago so much. Running on the lake front is just the best.

Have a great time at Princess.
Thanks! My first runDisney race was in C. Last year in B and this year A. Funny enough, the b and a were the same pot race... Just the difference between marathon and princess.

I have a 5k tomorrow morning and there's rumor I'm going to win which is a lot more pressure than I'd like. There's only about 300 runners so it's a small field but I'm recovering from a cold and this humidity is killer for someone used to running in actual winter.

Hi friends (old and new). I've been missing having a place to chronicle my running, so here I am again. A lot has changed since my last post. I debated starting a new journal for a fresh start but decided there's nothing wrong with a little bit of history.

I just read my last post and have no idea what 5k I was supposed to win or who was starting these rumors. There's nothing in my personal race history spreadsheet or athlinks so I guess we'll all have to live in a bit of suspense while I figure this out.

I'm struggling to decide where to start... Do I fill in the gaps or just start with current day? On my regular running route, there's a quote stamped into the sidewalk: "Only look back to see how far you've come." With that in mind, let's start with current goals and I'll catch you up on missing details as relevant.

So here we go, current goals:
1. Run 1000 miles in 2021
2. Properly train for the half at marathon weekend
3. Gain some lost fitness back
4. Earn a new POT to be used for the 2023 Disney Marathon
5. Run the 2023 Disney Marathon

That's all for now. It's finally light enough out that I can start my morning run. I'll be back later for some commentary on how my goals are going so far as well as my current training plan.

Happy Running Everyone!

Hey Folks,
It's Friday afternoon and my work motivation is waning, so I thought I'd check in here again to provide some more color to my goals. Here we go....

1. Run 1000 miles in 2021 - I severely injured my calf in the first half of 2019. I wasn't able to run at all from roughly April - October 2019. Running is pretty much my only form of exercise so I lost a LOT of fitness and was pretty disheartened. Then all the glories of 2020 happened and the short version is that I didn't run very much, <350 miles for the entire year. When 2021 kicked off, I decided I need a running goal that wasn't race based because who knew when races were coming back. The local running store was hosting a 1000 mile challenge and I decided that would be my goal.

I'm not going to lie, 1000 miles was kind of scary at the time. The mileage was going to be a big increase on the previous two years, but I knew it was a milestone that I had hit before and could work my way up to. I also knew that since it was scary, it would keep me motivated. It's very easy for me to skip a run during training because I know that I can still cover the distance even if I miss a run here or there. However, any mileage I skip with this distance goal, I have to make up later so it's not nearly as enticing.

I don't want to reveal all my cards just yet, so let's just say that this goal is still within reach and I have every intention of achieving this.

2. Properly train for the half at marathon weekend - I had no intentions of running any Disney races until Jan 2023 but then my family decided to plan a big family trip for Jan 2022, so how could I pass up the opportunity? I've got a different vacation planned for end of Nov/early Dec which is going to make this cycle a bit interesting and also ruled out the option of running the marathon again.

I just started a 14 week plan for this on Tuesday, so far so good 😝.

3. Gain some lost fitness back - Already previewed this one a bit. I got injured, stopped running, and am not the runner I was back when I was regularly posting in this journal. Unfortunately, there's no magic wand for this so I just gotta keep at it.

The good news is that I'm not near as far off as I thought I was. I'm pretty close to 2016 fitness and 2017/18 was peak fitness for me, so I'm hoping by this time next year I can start chasing some new PRs.

4. Earn a new POT to be used for the 2023 Disney Marathon - Due to a lot of things mentioned above, I haven't ran a 10 miler, half, or marathon since the Disney Princess Half in 2019 (and that one isn't even fast enough to be considered with the new guidelines). I figure I have through spring to get this sorted; the cutoff deadline of Sept is before the fall racing season really gets going here. Right now, I'm registered for a 10 miler in November but I'm not sure if I'll be ready to go sub 1:25. I'll have another chance at the WDW half, but I'm really hoping the characters will be out which will definitely slow me down. If those two options don't pan out, I'll find something this spring.

5. Run the 2023 Disney Marathon - Long time readers will remember that I first ran this race in 2018 for the 25th anniversary. It remains my favorite race ever. I have other racing and vacation ambitions that preclude me from running it every year, so I decided in 2018 that it was something I could run every 5 years and I'm excited to make my triumphant return in 457 days (but who's counting? 🤣)

So, those are my current goals. As I check these off, I'll adjust and add new ones.

I'm looking for inspiration for my next big scary goal that isn't training or pace related. Do you have any running goals that aren't race related? I'd love to hear them!

Happy running!

1. Run 1000 miles in 2021 - I severely injured my calf in the first half of 2019. I wasn't able to run at all from roughly April - October 2019. Running is pretty much my only form of exercise so I lost a LOT of fitness and was pretty disheartened. Then all the glories of 2020 happened and the short version is that I didn't run very much, <350 miles for the entire year. When 2021 kicked off, I decided I need a running goal that wasn't race based because who knew when races were coming back. The local running store was hosting a 1000 mile challenge and I decided that would be my goal.

I'm not going to lie, 1000 miles was kind of scary at the time. The mileage was going to be a big increase on the previous two years, but I knew it was a milestone that I had hit before and could work my way up to. I also knew that since it was scary, it would keep me motivated. It's very easy for me to skip a run during training because I know that I can still cover the distance even if I miss a run here or there. However, any mileage I skip with this distance goal, I have to make up later so it's not nearly as enticing.

I don't want to reveal all my cards just yet, so let's just say that this goal is still within reach and I have every intention of achieving this.

Cool I have the same goal this year! I'm 3/4 of the way there, only have about 225 miles left. Good luck on reaching your goal.

Cool I have the same goal this year! I'm 3/4 of the way there, only have about 225 miles left. Good luck on reaching your goal.
Awesome job! You're well on your way! Have you noticed any changes in your running with the goal?
I've found my runs are much more enjoyable now. I'm not quite sure why or how to explain it. My guess is that I'm running for my mental and physical health and not just chasing some PR. Earning a new PR is fun and all, but there's so much outside of your own control it can be stressful and a major disappointment if you fail.

Oct 4-10 Recap (89 Days to WDW Half)
✔ First week of the 14 week training plan done.

After having a week to run on my own, this was my return to structured running. I really enjoy having a structured plan because it makes for one less decision I have to make that day. I'm someone who really struggles from decision fatigue so it's with much relief that I will not be responsible for deciding what type of runs to complete each week. Another bonus of this week is that it was 4 easy runs and one long run so nothing too intense.

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - EB 4 miles
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 6 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - EB 4 miles
Thursday - Off
Friday - EA 4 miles
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 6 miles

As you can see, one minor deviation but otherwise the week went as planned. I was traveling for work Tues-Thurs which meant actually being showered and going into an office around 8am. I've been fortunate to be working remotely for 18 months now and that has made it much more convenient for running. In the summer, that usually means running in the morning before it gets warm. Now that the sunrise is later and the temps are dropping, I've moved to running at my preferred time of day, over the lunch break.

Anyway, the reason that this is relevant is because traveling and going to an office makes the runs a bit trickier to schedule. On Tuesday, I ran after work on the trail near my hotel. Wednesday, I had a work event in the afternoon so I ran in the morning. This was fine, except the trail wasn't lit so I had to wait until sunrise and then didn't make it into the office until 8:15. That wasn't a big deal, but on Thursday I had a meeting right at 8 am so I wasn't going to have the luxury of waiting for daylight. I debated using the hotel treadmill, but we're in the last few nice days of the year and since the easy runs are more flexible than other types of runs, I made the executive decision to delay the Thursday run to Friday when I could run outside and not in the dark. I'm not sure if it was the day rest or the travel or something else entirely but the Friday 4 miles started out a bit rough. My legs felt real heavy. However, by half a mile in things were ticking along just fine and my second and fourth miles were a tad faster than they should have been.

The weekend runs were mostly uneventful, exactly how I like my running. On Sunday I decided to drive to a nearby lake to run because they have a crushed rock/asphalt trail that would be nicer on my body than the concrete/asphalt that I typically run. Overall, my body did appreciate the break from the concrete jungle where I live. However, I also have really bad allergies and my entire body was itching from all the nature on the second half. Lesson learned: next time take allergy medicine prior.

This is also the first longer run where I've focused on my pace. I take my easy runs very literal and just run whatever pace my body feels comfortable at that day. For the long run, I really wanted to try to hit the 9:49 pace. First two miles were 9:52 and 9:47 but then the 3rd mile was 9:56 so I decided to speed up a bit for the 4th mile. This is when I learned that the pace I was using to adjust was NOT lap pace, but more of a "step" pace. I thought I was looking at the pace of my current mile which was reading 9:50. However, when I finished the mile, my pace was actually 9:28. Based on this, I'm pretty sure that 9:50 was for all 4 miles that I had completed. I switched to a new screen that was showing Lap Pace and finished with 9:41 and 9:40 miles. Still a bit fast, but not too shabby.

With this weeks runs, I'm now at 761.5 miles for the year. A bit behind since we're ~77% of the way done. At the halfway point of the year, I had only run 412 miles, so I'm definitely making up ground and barring any major illness or injury should be able to successfully check this one off in a couple of months.

Finally, to liven things up a bit. Here's a photo of my favorite running partner who turned 10 on Saturday and is in desperate need of a haircut.
bucky 10.jpg

Happy Running Everyone!

Hi Friends! Happy Friday!

I know you've all been sitting on the edge of your seats wondering about this mystery 5K back in 2019 and if I won. I solved the mystery (mostly) and thought I'd give a quick update for you all to kick off the weekend.
1180w-600h_063016_great-mouse-detective-anniversary-780x440.jpg

As I mentioned, I could find no history of this race happening in my records. I tried googling the date and my town to see if anything came up, still nothing. I was feeling like I had reached a dead end and would never figure this out.

Miraculously, I received a work email letting me know that an upcoming conference we host is still planned to happen in person...in February...at the Swan and Dolphin. Clear as mud, eh? Luckily, that little tidbit was enough to jog my memory. I attended that work conference in 2019 and extended my time in Florida specifically so I could run the Princess Half Marathon.

Although I can find no proof of it online, I remember that they did decide to organize a 5K in 2019. It's probably also relevant to mention that I work in a very male dominated field in a male dominated industry so the rumors that I would win, were not that I would win overall, but that I would win the women's division...mostly based on the fact that I run and there would be very few women.

Like I said, there's no proof of it online, so I have no idea how many people ran that morning or what the demographics were. I do still remember some parts of that race however. At the start there was a very fit looking woman that was leading the pack and I quickly realized there was no chance I would beat her. It didn't take long for her to be out of my sights completely. Nevertheless, I continued on with my pace and did what I could. Much to my surprise when I finished, some fellow coworkers congratulated me on finishing first and I was baffled. Apparently, the woman was just leading the pack to show the course and exited after the first of three laps.

After I finished I waited around a bit and then decided to go for a cooldown lap. At some point during my cooldown they announced the winners and when I returned, I received more congratulations from other coworkers. So, ultimately, the rumors were true and I did win, but I have nothing to show for it 🤣

The one big caveat here though is that I did not win a 5K, the distance according to strava/fitbit was 2.78 miles. I'm sure that is why I never put it in my spreadsheet and I won't enter it now either.

So that's it. Mystery solved. If my memory can be trusted, I did win a 2.78 mi race on a dark Florida morning in February.

Oct 11-16 Recap (83 days until WDW Half)
Week 2 is complete and I'm 14% of the way through this training plan (but who's counting? 😝).

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Wednesday - Blind Progression
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 4 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 4 miles

Whoa! Look at that! Someone followed the plan as prescribed 😊. Fall has finally arrived in Iowa and I really enjoyed the cooler temps. Leaves are just beginning to change because summer was holding on for so long.

On Tuesday, I was encouraged to go into the local office so I went for my run shortly before sunrise. It wasn't my favorite; the running was fine, I just strongly prefer to wait until daylight. Fortunately this time I didn't encounter any men with pants around their ankles or passed out on the sidewalk cuddling last night's poison. The scariest bit was the frog that I thought was a leaf and almost stomped on. Overall, I'm calling it a success but next time I'm going to figure something else out.

I was REAL nervous heading into Wednesdays run. It was my first time with this type of workout and I wasn't real sure what I was doing. On top of that it was forecast to rain all day and I knew I had to find a way outside. By some miracle, the rain ended before 10a and there were blue skies by lunch. The run was good and it was nice going faster than my long run pace for the first time in a few weeks. I'm still not 100% sure that I know what I'm doing but at least next time I'll know what to expect.

Thursday and Saturday easy runs were rather uneventful. We traveled to Wisconsin on Friday to see the in laws so I did get a nice little scenery change. We had some unexpected events on Saturday that threw a wrench in our Sunday schedule but I was still able to get my run in and we're currently on the way home so I'll get to sleep in my own bed tonight 🥳 Currently a bit jealous of these two who just sleep wherever they please...

So far, I'm real happy with how training is going. My runs were all a bit too fast this week (I'm blaming the cooler temps). I'm going to do my best to slow down this coming week. 🤞

That's all for now folks. Happy running!

Oct 18-24 Recap (75 days until WDW Half)

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 7 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 5.5 miles
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Blind Progression
Friday - EA 3 miles
Saturday - EA 5.5 miles
Sunday - Long Run 7 miles

Oof. 🤦‍♀️ A bit of a misstep this week. I was feeling off on Wednesday so I postponed my run, even though I know better. I almost skipped Friday and took the scheduled rest, but I couldn’t say no to this face so we went for an easy 3.

It's been a while since we've run together. I was hoping she would slow me down, but that didn't really happen and I still went ~10 seconds faster than I should have.

I just realized that I haven't properly introduced Hattie. She's the adorable floof in the background. We welcomed her into our family ~18 months ago. Unfortunately, our vet told us she's at risk for bad hips and not to run her. ☹️

Saturday's run was eventful, I changed my route a bit but nothing really worth noting. Sunday was a real trial. It started raining sometime overnight and never really stopped. There was the briefest of breaks mid afternoon so I laced up and headed out the door. Unfortunately, the rain reprieve only lasted the first couple of miles. By mile 3 it was raining so heavy it hurt and there was occasional lightning. I decided to head back toward home so I'd be near if I needed to seek shelter. The last mile-ish was zig zags through my apartment complex. It was miserable. The pacing was fine but the relentless rain combined with colder temps were not fun. I'm glad it was only 7 miles and not further. Since our treadmill is in storage until our house gets finished, I need to find myself an indoor track or a rain jacket.

In non training news, my mom informed me about 2 weeks ago that she wanted to run the 10K and runDisney was on her bucket list. By that time, everything was sold out and I was a little annoyed she hadn't told me back when registration opened. 🙄 Fortunately, I saw the 10K was open again this week and she was able to snag a spot. 🥳 I updated our hotel and my flight so I'd be there to cheer her on. Anyone have tips for spectating the 10K? I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be watch at the start and finish. I know it's stupid early and the start is very congested, but she's my mom so I'm willing to give it a try.

Anyone have tips for spectating the 10K? I'm thinking the easiest thing to do would be watch at the start and finish. I know it's stupid early and the start is very congested, but she's my mom so I'm willing to give it a try.

I'm assuming this is for the Marathon Weekend 10k.

2020 course map

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 3.03.57 PM.png

2020 Staging Area

Screen Shot 2021-10-25 at 3.04.53 PM.png

So, the start is actually pretty easy to see people. It's not like the HM/M where it's off in a distance and difficult to find. If it's like years past (and who knows), there's usually a stage to the right of the starting line. And then right behind the stage and after the starting line is where spectators can gather. So if you tell your mom to stick to the right side of the start, then she'll run right past you.

This youtube video shows the 10k start around 3:08.

Alternatively, you see her on the boardwalk.

But to see her twice, and to see her finish, it's likely the only option is start/finish. You could also potentially hurry over through the staging area to where the "event transportation" is on the map above and you'd see her a third time (around Mile 2.5-2.75). Occasionally you'll see some spectators there.

See 6:14 in this video, although it's not quite there because it's past the bus holding area.

But to see her twice, and to see her finish, it's likely the only option is start/finish. You could also potentially hurry over through the staging area to where the "event transportation" is on the map above and you'd see her a third time (around Mile 2.5-2.75). Occasionally you'll see some spectators there.
Thanks for the helpful tips! I didn't realize I could potentially see her 3 times. Seems like the Epcot parking lot is the place to be. She'd probably appreciate me escorting her to near the start anyway. Now to find some obnoxious noisemakers and lights so I can be sure she sees me 🤩

Oct 25-31 Recap (68 days until WDW Half)

The schedule:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - EA 4 miles
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 5 miles

The actual:
Monday - Off
Tuesday - Off
Thursday - EA 4 miles
Friday - Off
Saturday - EA 4 miles
Sunday - Long Run 5 miles

I must have done something to upset the running gods because this week threw all sorts of curveballs. Heading into the week, I knew there was a 57% chance that I wouldn’t run on Tuesday. I debated running on Monday instead but decided after 4 days of running that I could use the rest day. Monday I received my COVID booster and flu vaccine. Fortunately, it wasn’t nearly as bad as the first time but my body was still not a fan. As already noted and due to overall fatigue and muscle aches, I barely made it off the couch the entire day and definitely didn’t go for a run. Hattie thought that lying on top of me was the best way to make me feel better. Although cute, was of little actual help.

Wednesday was forecasted to be another downpour of a day and I knew I didn’t want to skip two runs in a row or run in those conditions twice in the span of 4 days so I asked for a swap that I could run on the treadmill. Somehow, there was a break in the rain and I was able to run outside as scheduled. I thought this was a good sign and took advantage. The progression run went well and my paces were pretty consistent with my first progression run so that seems like I must be doing something right.

The rain was back on Thursday so I took advantage of the apartment treadmill. We own a treadmill but it’s in storage until our new house is built. Early on in the year the apartment treadmills bothered my calves so I’ve been avoiding them but I didn’t have any problems on this run other than being bored and unable to figure out how to get the treadmill to let me run further than 5K at a time. If anyone has any tips let me know! I’ve tried to do the manual run but that ends the workout after a measly 20 min so it’s even shorter than the 5k option.

Saturday is when the real excitement began. I went outside and headed toward one of my normal routes. Everything was going well and I was looking forward to spending the evening celebrating Halloween. This is where I must have made the running gods really angry. Just over halfway, my hands started to itch and pretty soon I noticed them swelling. Sometimes I worry that I’m a hypochondriac and don’t take these things very seriously and assume it’s all in my head. Soon after I noticed my feet were also itchy and I was having difficulty swallowing. I was still over a mile from home and all I could think is that I had to keep moving forward. The itching spread to my head and at this point I really was questioning myself and if it was real. When I finally made it home I instructed my husband that I needed Benadryl ASAP. He was very quick with the meds and asked if I needed any eye drops. This was a very confusing question to me because my eyes weren’t itching at all. Once I stepped into the bathroom I realized my entire face was swollen and I had not been imagining the itching or swelling. Some not so pretty things happened followed by extreme chills. I was scared that things would get worse so we headed to the ER but all my symptoms went away before anyone was available so we just went home and I slept rest of the evening. No Halloween fun for me ☹

(pretty close to accurate photo of how I looked 😲)

When I woke up on Sunday everything seemed normal again but we were still a bit nervous so I did my 5 miles on the treadmill without event. I decided to watch a 2019 wdw planning guide that I found on YouTube and it was incredibly frustrating how they repeatedly mentioned onsite perks like FP+ and ME.

I'm planning to run outside again tomorrow but this time I'll take my phone and maybe a Zyrtec before. 🤞All goes well. At one point on Sunday my husband suggested that I might be allergic to exercise and I just can't even imagine living life like that.

Happy running all! May all your runs be less exciting than my Saturday adventure.

Last edited:
Saturday is when the real excitement began. I went outside and headed toward one of my normal routes. Everything was going well and I was looking forward to spending the evening celebrating Halloween. This is where I must have made the running gods really angry. Just over halfway, my hands started to itch and pretty soon I noticed them swelling. Sometimes I worry that I’m a hypochondriac and don’t take these things very seriously and assume it’s all in my head. Soon after I noticed my feet were also itchy and I was having difficulty swallowing. I was still over a mile from home and all I could think is that I had to keep moving forward. The itching spread to my head and at this point I really was questioning myself and if it was real. When I finally made it home I instructed my husband that I needed Benadryl ASAP. He was very quick with the meds and asked if I needed any eye drops. This was a very confusing question to me because my eyes weren’t itching at all. Once I stepped into the bathroom I realized my entire face was swollen and I had not been imagining the itching or swelling. Some not so pretty things happened followed by extreme chills. I was scared that things would get worse so we headed to the ER but all my symptoms went away before anyone was available so we just went home and I slept rest of the evening. No Halloween fun for me ☹

What a bizarre unexplained reaction! Are you allergic to anything that you know of?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter