Running trails and gyms during reopening

PPFlight75

DIS Veteran
Our trip is planned for 8/8-8/14 at CR. Has anyone had any experience with running trails or gyms since opening regarding masks?

My DH will not be going to the parks with us and will be working during the day, swimming, and working out until we get back from the parks.

He is very hot natured and can't tolerate the mask during the park but is ok to wear it around the property and to dinner, etc. (anywhere required).

He would like to run or use the gym and I've tried to look but don't see what the mask requirements are, especially the gyms. Has anyone

experienced these since the resorts opened? TIA!

Running trails should be open, but just my assumption. Gyms, is would think would depend on what's allowed to be open by the state at the time of your visit.
I believe on the website it says they will be open with limited hours. Like the original poster I was curious what the rules are. I got moved to the WL villas so running trails should not be an issue, but it is hot and rainy in August and the gym would be nice option to have.

I would read the WDW site, but my impression is that masks are required everywhere outside of your room except when eating/drinking and swimming. Masks are required even while exercising at the gym here in Texas. It could be the same for the county that WDW is in.

Right now, face masks are mandatory in both Orange and Osceola Counties, but things could change by August.

ETA- but not when exercising outdoors. But coming back inside a hotel, you would need a mask.

Last edited:
He's going to need to go to another resort to find some place to run since the CR is pretty land locked. He'd need to get to the WL (which will be closed except for the DVC portion of the lodge) or to the Polynesian to run close by. At the CR, he's pretty much limited to the parking lots. He might be able to run through the security check point going to the MK and then run past the MK if the path to the GF is open by then. If he has a vehicle, he might be able to run by Disney Springs and SSR and OKW resorts. If they will let him in.

Won't the boats be running from Contemporary to WL to FW? Are they asking for proof of resort before letting you board a boat?

I would read the WDW site, but my impression is that masks are required everywhere outside of your room except when eating/drinking and swimming. Masks are required even while exercising at the gym here in Texas. It could be the same for the county that WDW is in.
Thanks! I checked the WDW site but did not see anything. I did see the signs posted on the door to one of the workout rooms (I think BWI) and it just mentioned social distancing. Seems like a mask in the gym might be hard. Glad it's him not me lol!

I believe on the website it says they will be open with limited hours. Like the original poster I was curious what the rules are. I got moved to the WL villas so running trails should not be an issue, but it is hot and rainy in August and the gym would be nice option to have.
I saw the limited hours too. Wonder how limited :scratchin

Right now, face masks are mandatory in both Orange and Osceola Counties, but things could change by August.

ETA- but not when exercising outdoors. But coming back inside a hotel, you would need a mask.
Ah, makes sense. He will definitely have to wear it to and from exercising. Ill make sure to mention that. Thank you!

He's going to need to go to another resort to find some place to run since the CR is pretty land locked. He'd need to get to the WL (which will be closed except for the DVC portion of the lodge) or to the Polynesian to run close by. At the CR, he's pretty much limited to the parking lots. He might be able to run through the security check point going to the MK and then run past the MK if the path to the GF is open by then. If he has a vehicle, he might be able to run by Disney Springs and SSR and OKW resorts. If they will let him in.
Thank you!

Won't the boats be running from Contemporary to WL to FW? Are they asking for proof of resort before letting you board a boat?
I'm not sure but I'll check on the boats closer to our dates. That's a good option, thank you!

Thanks! I checked the WDW site but did not see anything. I did see the signs posted on the door to one of the workout rooms (I think BWI) and it just mentioned social distancing. Seems like a mask in the gym might be hard. Glad it's him not me lol!
Our gym requires mask except when doing cardio. Running with a mask seems dangerous to me. Every time I've used a gym at WDW I've either been the only one in there or there was just one other person. I don't plan on using the gym unless it's raining.

He would like to run or use the gym and I've tried to look but don't see what the mask requirements are, especially the gyms.
WDW explicitly states masks are required “at all times, except when dining or swimming.” (Look under Face Coverings and click/tap Read More). I would tell him to expect the mask is required, at least until more reports are available. But since the masks are a condition of the union returning to work, I expect that requirement will not be relaxed this summer even if the county does.

I thought I read that the boats between CR, FW and WL were not running for the time being. Just the one directly to the MK. So he might have to go to the MK and then catch a boat to FW if he wants to run there. WL is also a bit land locked with the construction area that closed the path to FW. You can't run to the Polynesian from WL.

FWIW, I asked about masks while running with a recreation CM yesterday. She said the policy is no masks are required when sitting at your chair/space at the pool, in the pool, or while exercising in the gyms or running paths. CM info, so take with grain of salt.

I specifically asked about the running paths - I’ve run the last few mornings and I did wear a mask as you tend to come across CMs, landscapers, etc, so it felt like the right thing to do. It was tolerable, although not that pleasant.

Other runners I have seen have not been wearing masks.

FWIW!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!