Running Universal

I felt that today was decently well-run for an inaugural event!

I had no complaints about the start, BUT we were in the second wave, so... There were bunches of rundisney regulars nearby, so we’ve obviously been well trained to get there early.

My son took off, and so had some frustrations in the first half mile because of walkers totally blocking runners across the narrow passages, but I’m slower and it wasn’t as difficult for me. I just had my usual “why does no one have race etiquette?” issues lol. Is it actually against the law to turn your darned head before speeding up or slowing down?

But other than that I had no complaints.

Oh wait. One. Despite the good signage for bibs, it got kinda lost for the food boxes. I knew the food would be in the bib pickup area, but forgot, and many others forgot or never knew.

I’d been hoping that they were working some magic to not have so much uphill, but alas. Not complaining about that. Just a silly wish I’d had.

Did anyone get or does anyone have the link to the virtual bib? Theyve sent no emaills and now the Link they provide goes to the results....

I’d be interested to hear from someone who ran it today. I looked at the results and it says only 277 finishers. I know it was basically an overflow day after Saturday sold out but it must have seemed pretty empty on the course.

I’d be interested to hear from someone who ran it today. I looked at the results and it says only 277 finishers. I know it was basically an overflow day after Saturday sold out but it must have seemed pretty empty on the course.

Sounds like they over reached a bit. Saturday was a good start to moving into the void left by rundisney, but they probably should have left it at that instead of doing the same thing on Sunday. Don’t think they’ll be doing the Sunday thing if Jurassic sells out. No denying they are moving into this void with the event date (tinker bell weekend), the next event date (near avengers weekend), and the snack boxes. But with hotels, restaurants, park tickets, etc. they definitely generated business that would not have been there if they didn’t have the run. I don’t know if they can do a whole weekend that would generate more business, but if there is a way... 5K on Saturday and 10k on Sunday? 10k would be tough to fit and would be crazy hilly even if they could.

With the hills, the 5K is definitely not a Disney 5K. From Saturday, I think many people underestimated the difficulty of the course and/or overestimated their readiness. This may deter some former rundisney runners in the future, but don’t think anything can be done about this due to location.

Sounds like they over reached a bit. Saturday was a good start to moving into the void left by rundisney, but they probably should have left it at that instead of doing the same thing on Sunday. Don’t think they’ll be doing the Sunday thing if Jurassic sells out. No denying they are moving into this void with the event date (tinker bell weekend), the next event date (near avengers weekend), and the snack boxes. But with hotels, restaurants, park tickets, etc. they definitely generated business that would not have been there if they didn’t have the run. I don’t know if they can do a whole weekend that would generate more business, but if there is a way... 5K on Saturday and 10k on Sunday? 10k would be tough to fit and would be crazy hilly even if they could.

With the hills, the 5K is definitely not a Disney 5K. From Saturday, I think many people underestimated the difficulty of the course and/or overestimated their readiness. This may deter some former rundisney runners in the future, but don’t think anything can be done about this due to location.

Definitely can’t get around the hills though I think they kind of countered the hills with a longer time allowed. What would be kind of cool for Jurassic Park is if they wound the course to end around the lower backlot and give people unlimited access to the three rides down there - Jurassic World, Mummy and Transformers from 7-9 am when the park would open. They could offer one Express Pass per ride to VIP and guarantee them the first corral.

I ran today’s race and am shocked to see only 277 finishers. There were a lot more folks than that in the first corral alone. My thoughts:
Starting at the park entrance was a bad idea. Major congestion for the first half mile. They need to make an effort to corral people properly.
Course cutting was an issue. Lots of out and backs in the backlot areas that people decided not to bother with.
Couldn’t find anything after the finish, so I left with just my medal and a bottle of water.
They need a new PA system. I couldn’t hear the race announcers at all.

I’m glad to hear there were more than 277. That seemed very light. Maybe they will update the results later and there will be more. I agree about the corralling.

Looks like they fixed it. The results now say 2984 finishers for Sunday. Agree that they need to find a way to corral people based on proof of time. You just can’t have walkers clogging up the narrow streets in the park.. esp at beginning. Wondering if they can do more To run through city walk...kind of like they used to do with downtown disney

Picked up my packet.. included is a flyer. Next running universal is November 16, 2019.. theme is Jurassic Park 5K

Looks like they added a kids 1k run called the Raptor Run
Ooh this is around the time I was thinking about heading to CA for Galaxys Edge, would be a nice bonus.

They could offer one Express Pass per ride to VIP and guarantee them the first corral.

That would require actual corrals, of course.

Lots of out and backs in the backlot areas that people decided not to bother with.

Fwiw I saw no one cutting. And there was a timing mat not long before 3 miles, which was interesting.

Couldn’t find anything after the finish, so I left with just my medal and a bottle of water.

Oh what a bummer. The food boxes and bananas post-race were where we picked up the bibs. You’re not alone in not knowing; my son and I told plenty of people, after we ourselves asked someone holding the box. Once I knew, I remembered that it was in a written bit of communication, but I didn’t remember when it counted, if that makes sense.

They need a new PA system. I couldn’t hear the race announcers at all.

I have that same problem at Disney if I’m too far from the speakers. Once I get closer I can hear them. And Saturday morning I heard them once we were ON the yellow carpet, but not really before.

Anybody that ran get a survey? Seems like they are lining up themes that include transformers, Sanrio characters, dreamworks characters, Simpsons, etc. no Harry Potter, but my guess is due to the licensing they can’t do it.

Also of interest, they have indicated a 10k run for Jurassic as a possible future event and asked on the survey how likely are you to run in it. So maybe 5K on Saturday and 10k on Sunday in November?

Last edited:
Seems like they are lining up themes that include transformers, Sanrio characters, dreamworks characters, Simpsons, etc. no Harry Potter, but my guess is due to the licensing they can’t do it.
The licensing could be tricky. Disney owns The Simpsons now and Paramount owns Transformers. While a deal can be worked out if all parties want to, I don't see Disney letting Universal have a Simpsons run without a heavy price and I personally wonder if Sanrio and Transformers have enough broad appeal to get runners in based on the theme. Minions certainly does, Jurassic Park probably does.

Also of interest, they have indicated a 10k run for Jurassic as a possible future event and how likely are you to run. So maybe 5K on Saturday and 10k on Sunday in November?
For me, it would depend on what they do. A 5K/10K Jurassic challenge complete with challenge medal greatly interests me. Each race by itself with the same medal means I'll choose only one, and a 5K/10K with separate medals, but no challenge medal will come down to which medal(s) I like the best.

I haven't gotten a survey yet, but I know they took my email address, so maybe. I'd love if they'd do a 5k/10k challenge with a challenger medal. I did get some of my race photos emailed tonight. They also included a video crossing the finish line that was kind of interesting. It's $39.99 for the whole set, if I wanted them. @Sleepless Knight, you make some good points about the licensing for future races. They could do Back to the Future, they could do the classic monsters, but I'm not sure if they'd have the broad appeal that Jurassic Park and Minions have.

I'd definitely be in for Shrek themed race!

Last edited:
They could do Back to the Future, they could do the classic monsters, but I'm not sure if they'd have the broad appeal that Jurassic Park and Minions have.
I would be very excited for Back to the Future and Jaws, but like you I don't see them happening. Sure, they're beloved films, but are they beloved enough to attract runners?

Because let's be honest. As insanely popular as the Marvel Cinematic Universe is right now and has been for a few years, the Avengers race was runDisney's most difficult to sell out. Maybe that tide is turning after the virtual 5Ks are selling very well right now, but it's still interesting to me.

Just got back from Los Angeles. Looking back at the run, I had a good time but that hill was ridiculous. The map they sent out of the course made it seem like you'd go down Colonial Street then back up, so you'd only be going down a small portion of the hill. Nope, you went all the way down that sucker, looped around Jaws then had the pleasure of loosing the momentum you had by running up 0.3 miles of what seemed like a 25-30 degree incline. Whew. Should have trained on hills for that one. Oh well. Next time.

I was up front for the start on Saturday, and if I had any requests for next time, it would be to have a better PA system as I was on the yellow carpet but still couldn't hear anything they were saying prior to the start of the race. Really no music to speak of to get the energy up (and you'd think Universal would have the capability and resources to truly make it a spectacle) and maybe a stage to see who was talking.

Overall it was a good run, I think the value was there for the price of admission to the race - the medal was great quality, I remember the inaugural Disneyland Star Wars 5K had rubber medals so they outdid themselves there. Good character interaction from what I saw, and lots of people to help and provide support.

I thought the same thing you did about the course. Then the night before someone on FB was complaining that they changed it, because they'd wanted to run down Wisteria Lane. I looked at their website and the map had changed. I personally liked including the Jaws area, but it did add that extra hill!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter