Running with Back Pain?!

crewmatt

DIS Veteran
Hey so most of you know I've been running forever and am the first to provide the following advice:

1) When you're hurt stop running right away
2) When you go 3 days no pain you can try running again. If it hurts see step 1.

So I was lifting weights in a HIIT class and totally killed my back. Spent the last week and a half laying on the floor. Saw the neurosurgeon and he suspects its mostly muscular (although I have a slight bulge and tear in a disc he thinks its totally unrelated to my current symptoms). This of course now has me quite terrified as its not the normal running injuries I deal with. Does anyone have any suggestions about returning to running and things to do to help with recovery and preventing such an injury again.

Sounds obvious but wait until it feels completely better (so basically, follow your own advice).

Maybe try a heating pad for some relief? Did your neurosurgeon give you any PT exercises or any kind of pain medication?

As for preventing it in the future - again, sounds obvious, but pay super attention to your form when lifting. I've had to take a few days off thanks to lifting before, so I do understand where you're coming from...my mind would drift while doing squats or whatever and suddenly I'd find myself hunched over and out of commission for a few days. Also, consistent core work is important...that seems to be the only thing that has really "fixed" my back lately (not sure how often you do the HIIT class but I also do one 4-5 times per week, first time I have ever done core work consistently, and my back has never felt better).

Hope you feel better soon.

I was a rower in college, so obviously much younger than I am now, so take this with a grain of salt.

A big key with muscle problems in the back is tightness/flexibility (this applies to muscles only, not if you actually have a disc injury). You are laying around on the floor because those muscles don't want to relax and lengthen. The muscle fibers tore, and now want to heal in a shortened position. So don't go back to running/lifting/etc but you do want to start doing as much as possible to loosen up the muscles. Ice is generally used when the injury is fresh, to reduce swelling, so you are past that point now. At this point, heat (hot tub, heating pad, etc), massage, and EASY stretching (don't re-tear the fibers) are critical. Don't just focus on your back, but things like glutes/hamstrings that affect your overall flexibility. I spent many evenings in college laying on the ground on my back, alternating one leg up on a door jamb doing "door frame leg stretches" while studying :-)

Once you are back in action, make sure your strength routines are properly balancing opposing muscle groups. In rowing we had to constantly focus on muscle groups on the front of the torso, to create balance with all of the muscles groups in the back that got far more work during training. Imbalanced opposing muscles tend to result in bad alignment when you are under load or tired.

I tore a muscle in my back a while ago and have repeatedly strained it. I believe it's really my sacroiliac joint and not my back proper.

I've found that after a day or 2 of rest, running/walking is the best thing for it. Sitting/laying causes it to get stiff. Moving loosens it up.

To be clear: it does NOT hurt to run, so I'm basically following the rules you laid out.

As far as prevention, I do a series of stretches/strengthening exercises once or twice a week. They are nothing special and readily available online. They are enough to keep the injury from reoccurring.

I am dealing with back pain right now and I fully believe it is because I slacked off on my exercises.

I threw my back out years ago in college. Consequently, I had lower back pain for more than a decade. What finally made it all go away? Training for my very first half marathon. In hindsight, it was a muscle problem more than anything else, but the fact that training for the race made it go away tells me that something about the training for that kind of distance strengthened those muscles.

So, follow your own advice. And do not be afraid to dial speed and/or mileage back to help it heal. You may be able to continue running at a slower pace instead of stopping it altogether.

I was a rower in college, so obviously much younger than I am now, so take this with a grain of salt.

Nice me too! I still row sometimes. Miss competitive rowing, I did it for years after college before I left DC

Yes, I'm doing pool work now and some light exercising. Lots of flexibility and foam rolling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!