S/O of Netflix Thread - Anyone watching Making a Murderer on Netflix?

mantysk8coach

Proud member of the DIS chapter of NKOTB Anonymous
This story is local for me and several other posters on here. I'd love to hear the thoughts of those who have watched and are seeing this story for the first time!

I went to college with Teresa and had her in a few classes. She also took my engagement pictures when she was employed with a local photo studio, so this story has always hit close to home. I never questioned his guilt, and thought this documentary would never change my mind....but I admit it does make you question.

I just want to know if he didn't do it....then who did and what were the circumstances?

Discuss.

I haven't finished the whole documentary yet, but I feel there is no way they had enough evidence to convict.

I'm not sure who did it. Maybe the ex boyfriend or one of avery's family members. I don't think he was an upstanding citizen, but I don't think he was involved in the crime. There would of been blood and lots of it. Look at the way they lived. This wasn't some guy who was very neat and tidy. How did he manage to clean all the blood, but the house and garage where in that much disarray still.

The officer calling in the car and days later it is on the edge of avery's property. They could have crushed it or hid it much better than that. The look on that officers face at the trial...he was lying!

The contaminated bullet found 4 months after the initial sweep. It boggles my mind this was allowed as evidence.

The poor kid being interrogated. Watching that footage honestly makes me sick what they did to him. Those people who interrogated him are evil. I hope they are prosecuted for that.

Honestly, they never looked for another suspect and wouldn't allow avery's defense to argue another suspect so it is hard to say who else it could have been. I also can't say there is no doubt in my mind he wasn't involved, but too much doubt that he didn't. It didn't go down the way they said and there was definite evidence tampering. ..the vile of blood with a needle puncture in it..OMG! The way the case was handled should be grounds for a mistrial. I read Avery's lawyer said his chance of an appeal was extremely slim unless someone came forward with new evidence. I hope that this publicity changes that and that is not the case.

What do locals think?

I've read people saying the documentary is skewed and left out tons of evidence against them, but can't find any.

I do think the documentary favors Avery, no doubt, but that still doesn't make the interrogations, evidence tampering and unethical police actions go away. Just those things right there in my mind would be grounds for a mistrial or provide too much reasonable doubt to convict. I'm curious to hear others and read more evidence against him.

What do locals think?

I've read people saying the documentary is skewed and left out tons of evidence against them, but can't find any.

I do think the documentary favors Avery, no doubt, but that still doesn't make the interrogations, evidence tampering and unethical police actions go away. Just those things right there in my mind would be grounds for a mistrial or provide too much reasonable doubt to convict. I'm curious to hear others and read more evidence against him.

There is already a lot of distrust for law enforcement and government locally unfortunately, especially now since this doc came out, so the general opinion seems to be that he didn't do it. People were even starting "Free Steven" groups and petitions on Facebook, which I think is a little extreme! Unfortunately, crime and drug problems are on the rise locally, so a lot of the most vocal people on social media have already had negative run-ins with law enforcement, which of course colors their opinion on whether Steven and Brendan were treated fairly or not. Even those who were convinced he did it and said their mind couldn't be changed are starting to question things.

So surreal to see this being discussed nationally, and see places and people I know in the documentary. My dad actually worked for the Sheriff's Department in the early 80's, but switched over to the Fire Department/EMS in 1984, prior to all this happening. I see a lot of familiar faces from when I was a kid and used to visit the Sheriff's Department with my dad!

What do locals think?

You have to remember they pulled jurors from the county. Most of the jurors in the end were weary, tired and just wanted it to be all over. The DA made numerous attempts to say, your fellow police officers would never be corrupt. At first vote 7 voted not guilty, 3 voted guilty and 2 were undecided. They said these 3 were so strong with how they felt, they bullied the rest to vote him guilty. They said the 7 did not have the persuasion power to get the other 5 to go not guilty. It totally went the other way. Just sad.

Locals are saying Steven bought shackles and leg irons a week before she came to his house to take pictures of cars. It also stated Steven would call her company and specifically ask for her. These 2 things were not told in the documentary.

I sure hope Brandon gets a new trial with our Federal government. He is at one of the worst prisons in Wisconsin, in Green Bay. The prisoners riot because the place is deplorable. It gets locked downs for up to 2 weeks at a time. The prison system in Wisconsin is going down hill fast. Guards work double shifts constantly and have to turn around in 8 hours and be back on the job. My question is why wasn't Brandon sent to a Physicologist first to see if he was even capable to be on trial..

You have to remember they pulled jurors from the county. Most of the jurors in the end were weary, tired and just wanted it to be all over. The DA made numerous attempts to say, your fellow police officers would never be corrupt. At first vote 7 voted not guilty, 3 voted guilty and 2 were undecided. They said these 3 were so strong with how they felt, they bullied the rest to vote him guilty. They said the 7 did not have the persuasion power to get the other 5 to go not guilty. It totally went the other way. Just sad.

Locals are saying Steven bought shackles and leg irons a week before she came to his house to take pictures of cars. It also stated Steven would call her company and specifically ask for her. These 2 things were not told in the documentary.

I sure hope Brandon gets a new trial with our Federal government. He is at one of the worst prisons in Wisconsin, in Green Bay. The prisoners riot because the place is deplorable. It gets locked downs for up to 2 weeks at a time. The prison system in Wisconsin is going down hill fast. Guards work double shifts constantly and have to turn around in 8 hours and be back on the job. My question is why wasn't Brandon sent to a Physicologist first to see if he was even capable to be on trial..

There are just so, so many questions on BOTH sides of the argument. I've gone from "he definitely did it" to "I don't think he did it" back to "maybe he DID do it" already, and I'm only on the fourth part!

Buying shackles doesn't sound good. Is that documented or local lore.

I can't believe 7 voted not guilty and then changed. That makes me even madder. I know I'm not in those people's shoes, but how do they sleep at night. How do you allow someone to go to jail because your weary and tired. I don't know how likely it is this case will be looked into, but I certainly hope they do.

I feel bad for that boy. The horrors he is experiencing because grown men bullied and took advantage of him.

All of what happened to Brenden makes my stomach hurt. The questions he asked about going back to school or watching WWE or what inconsistent meant (and his mom not knowing, either)....the "lawyer" and "investigator" that he had that made him draw the pictures even though he said his statement was complete??? How is that ok??

And where was the blood? Where? Not one drop of her blood after all that??

Watched the whole series. Can't believe they were found guilty as there is so much reasonable doubt. I too go back and forth on guilt but if I was forced to pick a side, I'd say guilty.

My ds was watching it and was giving me some of the highlights since I came in at about episode 3 or 4. We were quite disgusted with both the police and the prosecutors. It is mind-boggling to us that such obvious corruption is allowed. I know I asked my ds a few times if he was sure it was Wisconsin and not some southern backwater place in Alabama or Kentucky (sorry to those state's residents). After he had been falsely convicted and released and tried or did sue the county, why wouldn't the new trial be transferred? Like those before me posted, where was the blood? I don't think it's possible to murder and mutilate (was that the word they used?) someone and not find a single drop of blood.

I watched the whole thing over the Christmas holiday. I felt so bad for Avery for having to serve 18 years for a crime that he didn't commit. Then adding in how difficult it was for him to get out of prison for the rape--well, my heart was just breaking for him and his family. Then when the show started talking about the murder, I was so torn. I kept going back and forth from him being guilty and not being guilty. I thought the investigation was a bit ridiculous--many things about that bothered me, but I kept wondering why the heck it took so long to find that darn car key. After the local law enforcement botched the investigation of the rape case, why in the world were they allowed to participate in any way in the murder investigation?

I honestly can't say whether or not I think they got the right people for poor Teresa's murder because of the investigation, but I don't think enough information was told in the series. That young lady and her family need justice, and I just don't know if they've gotten it. I do, however, think that spending so many years in prison for a crime that he didn't commit had to change Avery into a different person than he was before. Did it turn him into a murderer? I just don't know--maybe, but maybe not. I don't think we were shown enough information.

I watched the whole thing over the Christmas holiday. I felt so bad for Avery for having to serve 18 years for a crime that he didn't commit. Then adding in how difficult it was for him to get out of prison for the rape--well, my heart was just breaking for him and his family. Then when the show started talking about the murder, I was so torn. I kept going back and forth from him being guilty and not being guilty. I thought the investigation was a bit ridiculous--many things about that bothered me, but I kept wondering why the heck it took so long to find that darn car key. After the local law enforcement botched the investigation of the rape case, why in the world were they allowed to participate in any way in the murder investigation?

I honestly can't say whether or not I think they got the right people for poor Teresa's murder because of the investigation, but I don't think enough information was told in the series. That young lady and her family need justice, and I just don't know if they've gotten it. I do, however, think that spending so many years in prison for a crime that he didn't commit had to change Avery into a different person than he was before. Did it turn him into a murderer? I just don't know--maybe, but maybe not. I don't think we were shown enough information.

Im not finished yet but it is very one sided. I feel the nephew was taken advantaged of by the investigators-you could see that he has some mental disability. I wish he would have had a "good lawyer" from the get go. The one that finally got fired and his Investigator was horrible and did not look out for the best interest of his client. His one call with his mom where he admits on the phone that he and his uncle did it-just rang so true. I think he is easily guided into doing things.

Im just not sure about Steven though-my gut instinct tells me he did it. I can't explain why but its just the gut feeling I get. Did he think not to crush the car because he expected the investigators to looked at the crushed cars first. Did he do it because he figured with his lawsuit- they wouldn't dare blame him again.

Last edited:
I live about 45 minutes from this town, and they are both absolutely 100% guilty. Don't be fooled by this "show" on Netflix.

Can you provide any evidence to support your belief. I am not convinced they are innocent as much as I am convinced they were not given a fair trial. I've looked for evidence pointing to proof beyond a reasonable doubt they did it, but it just doesn't seem to be out there that I can find. Calling her and blocking his number, answering the door in a towel and buying shackles all look bad, but not proof. Also adding in the fact that her dna is nowhere in his garage or bedroom is a huge red flag that he may not have been involved. I don't feel comfortable with this man being in jail, not because he is an upstanding citizen, but because I believe the proof lies in the prosecution and they did not prove anything in court IMO. He was not innocent until proven guilty. ...he was guilty going in and never stood a chance.

Can you provide any evidence to support your belief. I am not convinced they are innocent as much as I am convinced they were not given a fair trial. I've looked for evidence pointing to proof beyond a reasonable doubt they did it, but it just doesn't seem to be out there that I can find. Calling her and blocking his number, answering the door in a towel and buying shackles all look bad, but not proof. Also adding in the fact that her dna is nowhere in his garage or bedroom is a huge red flag that he may not have been involved. I don't feel comfortable with this man being in jail, not because he is an upstanding citizen, but because I believe the proof lies in the prosecution and they did not prove anything in court IMO. He was not innocent until proven guilty. ...he was guilty going in and never stood a chance.

Good grief. There's so much info when you binge a show like this that I don't even remember this stuff. Who saw him in the towel and were there shackles found? Or did they have him on video buying them?

I don't necessarily believe he's innocent, either. I *DO* believe that Brenden is. He didn't get to his uncle's house at 3:40 and to his house by 5 and do all of that. Did they ever check his room/clothes/anything for her blood?

The blood thing just bothers me.

They raped her (Brenden's DNA is nowhere?) and then stabbed her and slit her throat. No blood?
Then they dragged her (dead?) body to the garage (no blood?) where they shot her (no blood?). And at some point they shaved her head/cut all of her hair off and there's no hair?
Then they put her in her trunk? Why would they do that? And then they thought better of it and dragged her to the fire pit?

I'm also bothered by the key not having any of her DNA or prints (I can't remember) on it. Only his. And I do think he would have crushed the car. No other murderer has access to a car crusher.

I don't necessarily believe he's innocent, either. I *DO* believe that Brenden is. He didn't get to his uncle's house at 3:40 and to his house by 5 and do all of that. Did they ever check his room/clothes/anything for her blood?
I read that Brendan's pants were bleached. The shackles thing wasn't mentioned on the show nor was how Steven requested her and she felt uncomfortable around him...I read all that elsewhere. If you read the court transcripts you see much that the show didn't mention.

Supposedly, the group Anonymous has info that he was framed again.
Channel 2 news, they were featured very heavily on the show, said Manitowoc County computers were hacked, but that is nothing new in Wisconsin, but it will be interesting to see what they release.

This documentary has brought to light so much information that was unknown to the general public at the time of the trial. I live ten minutes away from where the trial took place. The local media had Avery convicted before the trial even started. Anyone that believes they are 100% gulity hasn't watched the documentary. Kratz has zero credibility and the attention he is getting from the national media is frustrating to those of us who are aware of his own criminal history.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter