Sacrifice 3 extras for VIP tour?

disneydreamer1980

DIS Veteran
Barely back a month and I’m already planning for next year (I actually started planning on the ride home,lol). I’ve always assumed that a VIP tour would be out of budget, but I’ve noticed that for our group of 9 it wouldn’t cost that much more then the extras we were planning on doing (DAH, HEA dessert party and “illuminations” Cruise). But if we go with the tour, I’d have to give up on the extras. So my dilemma is, should I sacrifice 3 fun activities for one awesome day riding everything through FP lines and getting a personal tour of the park? My family is no help at all, they’re happy either way and I just can’t decide. Ugh, first world problems!

Plan carefully - the tours are a marathon. Know exactly what you want to accomplish before meeting your guide.

The one drawback of VIP groups is that they only go as fast as the slowest guest. The other is that it's a minimum of 7hrs non stop (sure you can get lunch etc, but you're paying a pretty price for the down time). Set your expectations based on your party.

We did 2 VIP tours last year, one a group of 10 with a few kids under 10, the other just me and my 18yr old daughter.

Barely back a month and I’m already planning for next year (I actually started planning on the ride home,lol). I’ve always assumed that a VIP tour would be out of budget, but I’ve noticed that for our group of 9 it wouldn’t cost that much more then the extras we were planning on doing (DAH, HEA dessert party and “illuminations” Cruise). But if we go with the tour, I’d have to give up on the extras. So my dilemma is, should I sacrifice 3 fun activities for one awesome day riding everything through FP lines and getting a personal tour of the park? My family is no help at all, they’re happy either way and I just can’t decide. Ugh, first world problems!

Yup! I would do it. With the VIP tour, you won't need DAH or the HEA dessert party. You can easily get want you want done in AK during the tour and, if you time it to end in the evening, you can go to the VIP viewing spot for HEA. There is no cruise equivalent in the tour (you could see EP Forever instead of HEA, but that would be a waste IMHO as HEA is so much better), but you don't need a premium spot for EP Forever - it's easy to find a good spot around WS lagoon for that show.

A VIP tour is expensive on paper, but honestly it packs two+ days worth of WDW into that 7 hours. The booking page gives all sorts of cautionary language about some things have limited availability and may be restricted, but our guide didn't say no to anything we asked; including a special meet with Robin Hood (where they also found Friar Tuck).

I would jump at another tour.

I ONE HUNDRED PERCENT would switch. It’s basically 2 of your 3 extras anyway. Make sure your tour time overlaps with HEA and they’ll sneak you into the premium viewing area just 15 minutes before it starts.
I hadn’t thought about getting into HEA! I was planning on starting the tour early, but I think it’ll be be better to start a little later now so HEA is covered too. Thanks!

Plan carefully - the tours are a marathon. Know exactly what you want to accomplish before meeting your guide.

The one drawback of VIP groups is that they only go as fast as the slowest guest. The other is that it's a minimum of 7hrs non stop (sure you can get lunch etc, but you're paying a pretty price for the down time). Set your expectations based on your party.

We did 2 VIP tours last year, one a group of 10 with a few kids under 10, the other just me and my 18yr old daughter.
Good point. I’ll wanna be moving fast to get the most out of it, so it’ll probably make sense to schedule that day between two of our “quieter” days. Didn’t think of that!

I have looked at it each trip, but never done the tour. It would be an easy decision for me :) I would take the VIP tour, but I would not want it to be the first day (I worry that would make the rest of the trip seem like a let down). Have fun either way!

Last edited:
I can’t help but throw in a caveat that you can have just as much fun at Disney World without succumbing to add-on-itis, but it is your money, you spend it how you want. I personally would choose the VIP tour because two of the other add ons you were considering were fireworks spot and the fireworks are free.

Not sure if you've made any changes to your plans yet but I would highly recommend booking the VIP tour at the end of the trip. It seems counterintuitive in some ways but going from a VIP tour to having to all of a sudden wait in long lines can be tough, especially for little ones.

I would definitely do the VIP tour. We did one for my 40th and LOVED it. We did a morning character breakfast and started our tour later which was nice because we ate a big meal right before and then just did snacks during the tour and had dinner afterwards. Make sure if you do it that you request the fireworks viewing ahead of time because it makes it easier for the tour guide than trying to do same day. Also, if you have little ones who like the parade it’s great for preferred viewing for that. I have read that some people have even had guides that get them into the preferred viewing area and then take the others in the group who don’t want to watch to a different ride which is a nice option depending on the mix of your group. It really is an exhausting day but it does give you the chance to be a bit more chill for the rest of the trip. I have never done HEA dessert party but I have done the Epcot and HS ones and we loved both but the value isn’t really there in my opinion on the HEA one because you could buy better desserts from your spot with your VIP tour. Also because they don’t serve alcohol. Lol. Anyhow, it sounds like both options are great ones but I thought the VIP tour was pretty magical and we all adored our tour guide. Also, the previous poster makes a valid point on timing. My kiddos were disappointed to not have our tour guide the day after because they had gotten used to it. There are pluses and minuses on both sides. I wish I could do a VIP tour every time.

I asked to end my tour with fireworks at MK so the start time was decided from that. I started in AK after riding things like the safari on my own that takes a lot of time. If you want to be seated in a special section of a ride, you can ask. We didn't eat during the tour. After AK we rode just Test Track at EPCOT and parked right outside. Then to HS and ended at MK. You won't ride everything because you generally wait in fast pass line, but you can do a lot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter