Safe way to get from dolphin resort to Universal safely solo?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
What is the safest and easiest way to get from Disney World Dolphin Resort to Universal Studios when solo and don’t drive? Can you feel safe in a Uber / Lyft on your own just you and just the driver?

Mears has shuttles from WDW resorts to Universal. You shouldn’t have any trouble signing up for one. IIRC it’s cheaper than an Uber but you have to catch one of their shuttles when they come, not at your leisure like an Uber.

As a woman in my 50's, I have taken Lyft between Universal and Disney several times, as well as to and from the airport, and late at night after Christmas and Halloween parties. i have had a few drivers who barely speak English, but I have never felt uneasy or afraid.

Uber or Lyft 1000000%

Drivers pass a basic background check.

Your entire trip is monitored on GPS through both your phone and the driver phone.

You sit in the backseat so the driver would have difficulty physically touching you, and have an emergency button in the Uber/Lyft app that sends police right to you in a pinch.

Drivers have been the victim of attacks from drunk/high riders far more often than riders have had issues with drivers. Most uber horror stories you hear about was someone pretending to be an uber driver and picking up drunk people at a bar. Using common sense and the app it is easy to identify the correct car. If you feel uneasy you can always just cancel the ride.

Mears has shuttles from WDW resorts to Universal. You shouldn’t have any trouble signing up for one. IIRC it’s cheaper than an Uber but you have to catch one of their shuttles when they come, not at your leisure like an Uber.
Mears are incredibly unreliable these days. I booked a shuttle from Pop to US last year. I was expecting a coach or mini van, but, a taxi turned up and he didn't have my name right when he spoke it, he had it written down and it was close enough to be comfortable. However, coming back was a nightmare. I booked for 10:30pm which came and went with no sign of my transportation. I kept trying to phone and my phone battery was running out. I eventually got through and was told they hadn't dispatched my transportation, this was at 11:30 at night. By the time the town car turned up and I got back to my room it was nearly 1am. I got no apology or any kind of compensation such as my fare refunded. I was absolutely petrified standing alone at the US bus station which was deserted. Don't risk using Mears. I'm using lyft or uber if I go to US again.

Uber or Lyft...

Check the picture and tag... ask for their name... if everything matches you are good to go...
As well you can let people know where you are, and they can track you... lots of safety measures...

Mears are incredibly unreliable these days. I booked a shuttle from Pop to US last year. I was expecting a coach or mini van, but, a taxi turned up and he didn't have my name right when he spoke it, he had it written down and it was close enough to be comfortable. However, coming back was a nightmare. I booked for 10:30pm which came and went with no sign of my transportation. I kept trying to phone and my phone battery was running out. I eventually got through and was told they hadn't dispatched my transportation, this was at 11:30 at night. By the time the town car turned up and I got back to my room it was nearly 1am. I got no apology or any kind of compensation such as my fare refunded. I was absolutely petrified standing alone at the US bus station which was deserted. Don't risk using Mears. I'm using lyft or uber if I go to US again.

sounds scary, glad you got back in the end even if very late.

Should you pre-book your Uber/lyft return with the driver that drops you off or is it pretty easy to order an Uber / lyft before park closing on your phone so it’s waiting for you once everyone exits the park?
Or is it pretty easy to catch a cab from the US taxi rank from any cab company that’s waiting for a fare there?
How’s it usually done I dunno how to go about sorting out the return back to hotel?

I've not used lyft or uber yet, but, I'm going to book when I'm in City Walk and give it half an hour so I won't be hanging around too much, but, there before the ride gets there

Should you pre-book your Uber/lyft return with the driver that drops you off or is it pretty easy to order an Uber / lyft before park closing on your phone so it’s waiting for you once everyone exits the park?
Or is it pretty easy to catch a cab from the US taxi rank from any cab company that’s waiting for a fare there?
How’s it usually done I dunno how to go about sorting out the return back to hotel?

We usually just order an Uber once we feel we are about 3-5 minutes walking distance from the pickup point. We never have to wait more than a few minutes for it to get there.

There are plenty of towncar services in Orlando. If you do not feel comfortable using Uber(which, as a woman, I totally understand), you can book one of these services ahead of time. They will be much more expensive, but if you feel safer, then it is worth it.

I used Lyft to go from AoA to Universal in January and didn't prebook my return because I wanted to be flexible and there's no way of knowing whether that person will still be working. I'd suggest waiting until you're well on your way to the parking garage to book your return since at least in my experience, there were a ton of Uber and Lyft cars just sitting in the pickup/dropoff area in the afternoon/evening waiting for fares to pop up--you're unlikely to have to wait at all. That also made it kind of confusing and frustrating to locate the right car, though, because there were so many of them parked along several pickup lanes and I found the directions I was given unclear. Because the driver didn't really speak English he wasn't much help in communicating with me in the app, but we did eventually figure it out and I got back to AoA just fine.

I'd suggest taking Lyft or Uber from the Dolphin in the morning, and when you see the dropoff/pickup area on top of the parking garage (totally separate from the cab stand) you can decide whether it's something you want to navigate on the return trip or if you'd rather pay more for a cab, since you can pretty much just walk to the taxi stand and hop right in one.

Edit: Or if the whole thing makes you nervous and you're willing to pay more (about twice as much, unfortunately), you can just ask for a cab at the Dolphin--often as not there'll be a couple already waiting there in the morning, and if there aren't the attendants can call one for you.

There are plenty of towncar services in Orlando. If you do not feel comfortable using Uber(which, as a woman, I totally understand), you can book one of these services ahead of time. They will be much more expensive, but if you feel safer, then it is worth it.

Hi, I did post earlier, and just had to chime in again..

I have suggested this to many of my friends that come to see Mickey and the gang... a girl friend alone, or a large group or other family members... They have been really happy with the service, pick-up and professionalism... While a bit more expensive, totally worth it for peace of mind... I will say if you book multiple rides, normally they give you a price break... So if you book for airport to hotel and back again, and add in the trip to Universal and back... they might give you a price break... make sure to ask..

I have used private car service on lots of other vacations, and it was so worth it, DH and I always use it ... I went to NYC for a girls only get away long weekend, ... My flight out had delays, and I was suppose to arrive at 6:00 pm ish and did not land until after 11:00 - DH had insisted on a private car, as I was alone and I can not tell you how happy I was to see the driver waiting for me, with a sign with my name on it, and straight away to the hotel. My one friend and I were suppose to stay and extra night to catch up, and she had to go home basically after the first night, due to a family emergency... Everyone else started leaving around 6:00 pm on their last day, I had everyone luggage stored in my room. So I had dinner in the hotel, and went to bed early, shopping, shows, and sightseeing in NYC can really wear you out... LOL... again I was glad to have a car waiting for me when I came down the next morning at 4:45 am... for a early flight... the street of NYC are really eerie at that time of the morning...
It was actually less than what a cab would have cost , but more than Uber or Lyft...

Hi, I did post earlier, and just had to chime in again..

I have suggested this to many of my friends that come to see Mickey and the gang... a girl friend alone, or a large group or other family members... They have been really happy with the service, pick-up and professionalism... While a bit more expensive, totally worth it for peace of mind... I will say if you book multiple rides, normally they give you a price break... So if you book for airport to hotel and back again, and add in the trip to Universal and back... they might give you a price break... make sure to ask..

I have used private car service on lots of other vacations, and it was so worth it, DH and I always use it ... I went to NYC for a girls only get away long weekend, ... My flight out had delays, and I was suppose to arrive at 6:00 pm ish and did not land until after 11:00 - DH had insisted on a private car, as I was alone and I can not tell you how happy I was to see the driver waiting for me, with a sign with my name on it, and straight away to the hotel. My one friend and I were suppose to stay and extra night to catch up, and she had to go home basically after the first night, due to a family emergency... Everyone else started leaving around 6:00 pm on their last day, I had everyone luggage stored in my room. So I had dinner in the hotel, and went to bed early, shopping, shows, and sightseeing in NYC can really wear you out... LOL... again I was glad to have a car waiting for me when I came down the next morning at 4:45 am... for a early flight... the street of NYC are really eerie at that time of the morning...
It was actually less than what a cab would have cost , but more than Uber or Lyft...

Completely agree. We have used town car many times over the years. Especially before they had magical express. Our last time was last year when we took a limo to the cruise terminal from WDW. This was for my daughter's graduation trip. We have also used towncar services to get to and from the airport on our trips to Disneyland. I like the peace of mind knowing that my transportation is set up ahead of time.

Last edited:
I'm an Orlando local and I've used Uber/Lyft- sometimes alone, sometimes with others. I've also taken these services to/from CityWalk- no issues. I made sure the car and driver info matched the app, and didn't have any safety concerns during the rides. Lyft usually has slightly better pricing than Uber, but not by much. If it were me, I'd use Lyft to get between the Dolphin and Citywalk.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!