San Angel Inn- just give it to me straight

BecuzImaLady

Mouseketeer
I am trying to finalize dining plans for July and my DH and DD saw San Angel Inn last visit and thought it was the coolest setting for a restaurant. My husband is familiar with the setting and name of the same restaurant in is home country of Mexico and my DD loves the ride that goes through the Mexico pavilion. We are at La Hacienda last summer and liked the food fine. (We are from Texas and we eat Tex-mex so we don’t need 100% authentic) They really want me to get reservations for San Angel this time. I have read VERY mixed reviews on this place and most are from like 2 or 3 years ago. Anyone been there within the last year or so that can confirm or deny if this place is decent for a nice lunch?

It’s not typical Spicy Tex-Mex, it’s actually a more authentic Mexican (I forget the region in Mexico)... but that earthy menu is the main reason for complaints.
The other main reason for complaints is how close together tables are.

It’s certainly worth trying, especially with interest from family.

Of all the many times we've been to Disney, I always wanted to eat at SAI, but avoided because of reviews. Our Nov 2018 trip, we stayed 11 nights at The Poly on the DDP and we totally splurged like a BOSS. I made that SAI ressie and have not regretted a single moment of it. I'm SO GLAD I did it. It was not perfect, but was certainly one of my fave memories. We requested a table by the river and it was so beautiful! My 7 yr old enjoyed waving at the boats as we dined. Everyone in my party of 5 enjoyed their food AND DRINKS, except my husband...he didn't care for his entree. But he too was so glad we ate there. GREAT MEMORY!
Make that ressie homie! Go for it!!

We ate there on every trip when the kids were little. They liked the boat ride and the ambiance, and there was something on the menu for everyone to eat. As a pp stated, the tables are close together. I thought the food and service were pretty good.

I give it an A- for atmosphere (obviously the setting is super cool but the tables are way too close together) and a B- for food. It's definitely not authentic, but it sounds like you're ok with that. It wasn't the best Mexican we've ever had, but certainly wasn't the worst. The margaritas are great!!

It's not bad but not great. The saving grace for this restaurant is the atmosphere. If you don't need authentic Mexican like you've stated I would go ahead and make a reservation here. It's a really nice and relaxing place to take in a meal and the atmosphere is really cool.

We enjoy it. The only negative is how close the tables are - as someone mentioned.

My husband, a very picky eater, wants to go to SAI on every trip, mostly for the atmosphere, as previously noted, but he also can always find something to eat there. I have tried several options, and have been happy with them all. Just know that it is not typical US-Mexican food - you won't find burritos or chimichangas - but it is familiar enough that my husband can do it...

I've eaten there just about every trip I've been on in the last 30+ years. It's a tradition. It does NOT taste like Tex-Mex, but the food isn't bad. The mole has a great chocolaty flavor that I love. I think they have upped their guacamole game recently. The carne asada is nicely done and very tender. The atmosphere is great - you escape from the heat into a cool dark nighttime setting. It's not my favorite for authentic Mexican food, but the food is still good. Plus a few days into the trip I really start to crave some chips and salsa.

It's terrible. The food is greasy and even the tortilla chips are bad. That being said, the atmosphere is absolutely lovely. If your family really wants to go, I would give it a try. Just lower your expectations and you might be ok. We were just in San Antonio over spring break and had amazing Tex-Mex food there. San Angel doesn't hold a candle to what, I'm sure, you are used to.

We love it. I have found that reviews are meaningless. To me, it’s like most other Mexican restaurants. Just more authentic choices. You can get some more common items that isn’t in menu. Like Fajitas or street tacos. You just have to ask.

Last edited:
The food is nothing impressive, but it is enjoyable enough. The atmosphere is really nice which totally makes the restaurant worth checking out.

San Angel Inn DOES serve authentic Mexican food and it is part of the same organization that owns the original SAI in Mexico City. Most people in the US are accustomed to Tex-Mex and use this style, incorrectly, to be benchmark the "authenticity" of other Mexican restaurants.

SAI's current issue is not authenticity, it is the execution and service issues. The food has gotten quite a bit better compared to 5-10 years ago. Service can be excellent and friendly or indifferent and unprofessional (given how very expensive it has become). Sometimes, the whole operation is just kind of "slap dash" (just like A LOT OF WDW restaurants).

It is also very cramped and there's a good chance that you will be bumped into by servers, bussers and other diners throughout the meal. I have some friends (who are restaurant owners/chefs) and this infuriates them. I like the setting at SAI, so this doesn't bother me as much. I know what I'm getting into when dining there and I'm OK with that. A couple margaritas always help!

Tables are to close together, the place is to dark to even see your food properly, we had a less than attentive waitress. The food surprisingly good.

We hated it. Largely because the service was horrible and the tables were super close to each other. The food wasn't good either. We're not picky eaters, we don't send our food back, we don't complain about service. And we eat out a lot. If I made a priority list of all the Disney restaurants I've experienced, this would be at the very bottom.

We too are from Texas & we love Mexican food.

We were just at Disney last week & ate there Wednesday. It was delicious as usual!

We dine there every trip to Disney ... it’s on our always repeat list.

The tortilla soup is so good!
I usually get the Mexican combination plate. The chicken enchiladas & the braised short rib are so good on that plate.

It’s different from our normal Mexican food, but very good & it’s a really neat restaurant.

It's terrible. The food is greasy and even the tortilla chips are bad. That being said, the atmosphere is absolutely lovely. If your family really wants to go, I would give it a try. Just lower your expectations and you might be ok. We were just in San Antonio over spring break and had amazing Tex-Mex food there. San Angel doesn't hold a candle to what, I'm sure, you are used to.
We are planning a trip to the Riverwalk in San Antonio very soon just to eat and enjoy the atmosphere!

San Angel Inn DOES serve authentic Mexican food and it is part of the same organization that owns the original SAI in Mexico City. Most people in the US are accustomed to Tex-Mex and use this style, incorrectly, to be benchmark the "authenticity" of other Mexican restaurants.

SAI's current issue is not authenticity, it is the execution and service issues. The food has gotten quite a bit better compared to 5-10 years ago. Service can be excellent and friendly or indifferent and unprofessional (given how very expensive it has become). Sometimes, the whole operation is just kind of "slap dash" (just like A LOT OF WDW restaurants).

It is also very cramped and there's a good chance that you will be bumped into by servers, bussers and other diners throughout the meal. I have some friends (who are restaurant owners/chefs) and this infuriates them. I like the setting at SAI, so this doesn't bother me as much. I know what I'm getting into when dining there and I'm OK with that. A couple margaritas always help!
I had suspected the two restaurants were associated with each other! My husband is familiar with the Mexico City one. It is well known. This was very helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter