San Diego-Where to Stay? SW & Zoo to see

lillady718

Earning My Ears
Ok-
I had first intended on staying the full 7 nights at HoJo in Anaheim, and just driving to the San Diego Zoo one day, and Sea World one day, and the Beach one day. But after reading a post here about San Diego being about a 2 hour drive :moped: - I'm thinking I need to revise my reservations to include a couple night stay in San Diego.

Where would you recommend? Somewhere on the beach?

Price range I'd like to be under $150/night? (if possible) How much would you guess for a place on the beach in San Diego - I haven't checked out the suggested hotels yet...

We'll be going during first week of August

Thanks for any ideas! :sunny:

lillady718 said:
Ok-
I had first intended on staying the full 7 nights at HoJo in Anaheim, and just driving to the San Diego Zoo one day, and Sea World one day, and the Beach one day. But after reading a post here about San Diego being about a 2 hour drive :moped: - I'm thinking I need to revise my reservations to include a couple night stay in San Diego.

Where would you recommend? Somewhere on the beach?

Price range I'd like to be under $150/night? (if possible)

We'll be going during first week of August

Thanks for any ideas! :sunny:

There are only two hotels actually on the beach that I'm aware of in San Diego. The hotel del coronado, on coronado, and the La Jolla Beach and Tennis club in (you guessed it) La Jolla. It's unlikely you will find anything at either of those places at $150 a night.

I would recommend that you stay somewhere north of San Diego. We stay, for example, in Carlsbad, which is about 30 minutes drive to Sea World and the Zoo. Very few of the hotels there are right on the beach either -- although many are just across a small street. One right on the beach is the Motel Del Mar, which theoretically might come in around your price, unless it's racing season at the Del Mar track when you plan to be there.

Note that in August many places will have minimum stay requirements.

One of my favorites, if you don't mind something a little motel-like, is Dana Inn and Marina. It should fall within your price range, and it's right along the bay. It's within walking distance of Sea World, but we always drive anyway.

Also, if you don't mind trying Priceline, I got the Westin Horton Plaza for $90 last October. Parking was $25, but even at $115 total, it's less than I would've paid had I booked Dana Inn, and much more luxurious. It's also adjacent to the Horton Plaza shopping center, which was extremely convenient, and just a real short drive to the Zoo.

My favorite place is paradise point resort and spa. it's basically across the street from sea world and is 44 acres of paradise. We love it. It may be a little above your price range, but depending on when you go expedia can have decent rates. It's on the bay, so you have beach(ok bay beach). The gounds are lovely. the rooms are in small buildings, four or five rooms to a building, all gound floor, all with sliding glass doors and a patio. Even the "non-view rooms" are great. The main pool is fabulous. (OK so I love this place.) If you go, you can buy duck food and fish food in the shop and we love to wonder around and feed the animals. I miss it just thinking about it.

We are planning a trip for next summer for DL and San Diego and decided to go with Paradise Point...we had considered Pacific Terrace as well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter