San Diego zoo on a weekday vs. weekend?

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
We are going to the SD zoo and Safari park soon. School will still be in session, but I heard on weekdays there can be lots of field trip groups- so should we do a weekday or a weekend? We have the flexibility to do either since our other days are just beach days.

Weekends can be extremely busy at the zoo. There will be field trips during the last few weeks of school, but I think you'll be able to avoid them fairly easily if that is what you want to do. The hardest part would be waiting in lines for food if you get behind a school group. Safari park is huge and you can also easily avoid school groups if you want to. School groups at both parks would probably leave the park by 2:00pm to get everyone loaded up at back at school before the school day ends.

I'd do the parks on the week days if my goal was to avoid crowds. Beaches are more crowded on weekends, too. None of those places will be as crazy as a day at Disneyland, though.

The last few weeks of school the zoo gets crowded with field trips. It's free for schools. But even then they are usually only there from 10 AM to just past lunch so their impact is minimal. Weekends are a zoo. Literally. My best advice is whenever you decide to go get there early and stay late. Animals are most active morning and evening.

Thanks guys, I haven't been there in about 8 years and we went on a weekday in September so it was relatively quiet. We'll be ready for more crowds this time either way I guess. I also forgot about the fact that school groups have limited hours- thanks. We definitely plan to be there at opening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter