San Diego Zoo or Safari Park

geergirl

Mouseketeer
I'm having a hard time deciding. DH and I were at the zoo 12 years ago and had a great time. I haven't been to the safari park in over 25 years and DH has never been. We will have our twin 6 year olds with us. Things to consider:
Giraffes are one daughter's absolute favorite animal.
They both love penguins.
The Calgary Zoo is a manageable day trip for us so we have easy access to a good zoo. The penguin exhibit was a highlight on our last visit.
We will be visiting in mid January.
If I win the lottery before the trip I would do the safari park with the safari where you feed giraffes. It would be 500USD and while technically we could afford it I would be quite uncomfortable with the expense.

Which one do you recommend?

You can feed giraffes at the zoo during particular times. They also just opened the new penguin exhibit. Sounds like the zoo is the better choice based on what you posted.

You can feed giraffes at the zoo during particular times. They also just opened the new penguin exhibit. Sounds like the zoo is the better choice based on what you posted.
Is the giraffe feeding a regular thing then? You just show up?

Is the giraffe feeding a regular thing then? You just show up?
It's a paid thing at certain times. I don't know exactly how it works as I haven't done it outside of a VIP tour. There's a booth that sells tickets for it. It will be on the schedule that you get when you enter the park.

It's a paid thing at certain times. I don't know exactly how it works as I haven't done it outside of a VIP tour. There's a booth that sells tickets for it. It will be on the schedule that you get when you enter the park.

Yes there is a schedule and last i went there was a sign "next feedings at..." at the place where you do it. And there is a decent place to eat nearby. We got there early, ate, and there was live music. We've been members for years, kind of prefer zoo. The animal park we go to maybe every 5 or 6 tears, zoo we can go a couple times a year and always enjoy it. Especialy the sky ride and bus tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!