San Diego Zoo?

IRLdisneyprincess

Mouseketeer
Hey all,

We are flying from Houston to San Diego to board the Wonder (Sept 17th through the 22nd). Since we will be there a day early, we were thinking of visiting the San Diego Zoo since we have never been. I was just going to get some opinions on whether or not it's worth the price. It's two of us and even with the AAA discount we have, it will still be $100.

We do love the zoo and like the one at home, but the Houston Zoo just isn't as pricey. Just thought I might ask some opinions. Is it a must see?

My son and his wife were there for a Baja cruise (Wonder too)in May on their honeymoon and did the zoo, my daughter in law said it was their favorite day in San Diego.
They are mid 20's.

The San Diego zoo is in every top 10 list for zoos in the US and is number 1 in many of them. I am not the person to ask since I collect zoos like other people collect roller coasters and try to see zoos wherever I travel. I would say the San Diego Zoo is unique and we'll worth it.

We were in San Diego in May for a cruise on the wonder and went to both the San Diego Zoo and the San Diego Safari Park. We were disappointed with the zoo, it was very expensive and I was not overly impressed with the zoo or the staff. The next day we went to the Safari Park and had a great time. I will say that the we only planned to do the zoo if we felt up to doing it after flying in that morning from Nova Scotia. We arrived at the zoo around noon. We were easily able to see everything we wanted to before closing at 5.

I agree that the Safari Park is way better (we were annual pass holders to both for years). One thing to note is that September in San Diego typically sits in the 100-112 degrees for the entire month and serves as our hottest month of the year. The San Diego Zoo does not get much of a breeze because it is down in a Valley. It gets HOT there...the Safari Park is in North County and while it does get hotter by temperature on record there, a breeze is almost blowing.

So, if it were me, I would wait and see what the weather looks like. It is typically hot as hell the entire month, but we got married in San Diego Sept 22, 2007 and it was freezing cold and rainy. Go figure. Last year, there were many days in September where I called DD's school to see if they were having outdoor lunch recess. If they were, I would sign her out of school for lunch and then take her back since we live across the street. 105 degrees on blacktop for 45 minutes is miserable.

So yeah, my vote would be to wait and see if it is hot. The animals go hide in the shade when its over about 85 degrees, so you will just be hot and miserable since the Zoo is so hilly...and you won't be seeing too many animals.

Tough to say. We are natives and have had passes on and off for years. As someone mentioned it can get pretty dang hot, usually one week im September is deathly hot. However we love the summer nights at the zoo. So as pass holders we usually would go after the kids got out of school where it has cooled down, and then gorgeous at night. But not sure it would be worth it IMO to pay full price to spend part of a day.

The zoo is beautiful and one of my favorite things in San Diego but there is so much to see here! I would suggest the Midway, Balboa Park, Old Town or spending a day at the beach.

We also love that zoo.
Been going since I was a child.
We always visit it when in San Diego. We have done a lot of other things, but the zoo is always a must do.

I am not familiar with Houston but I volunteer at our local zoo and despite being there frequently I really liked San Diego's. I was also surprised at how expensive it is, but it is a huge zoo and has lots of animals we don't have at my zoo so I felt it was worth it for us. If I hadn't seen anything different maybe I wouldn't have been as happy in the end, but I actually wish we had more time before or after our cruise this Oct to stop by a second time.

I lived in San Diego for many years and the zoo is one of the best. It can get warm there in September but I think I felt much hotter at the Safari park than I ever did at the zoo. The Safari park is also a 45 minute drive (with no traffic) north of downtown. Go to the zoo early, and plan your walking route where you are walking down the hills and taking the people movers back up. The bus tour is a nice way to get an overview and you can always walk back to attractions you want to spend more time on. The Skyfari is another way to cross over the entire park - front to back or vice versa.

We live near Houston and have been to the Houston Zoo a few times. We also went out to San Diego and Anaheim. The San Diego Zoo blows the Houston one out of the water! We've not done the safari park...that's on the agenda for next summer. If they're looking for a full day to kill, I'd strongly recommend the zoo. However, there are tons of other options in San Diego as well. Be prepared to hike if you go to the zoo! I think we logged 9-10 miles that day.

The San Diego Zoo is by far my favorite zoo in the entire country. I am an adult who still enjoys going to zoos though so take that into account. It is a lot of walking but they do a great job keeping their animals in as close to their natural habitat as possible including mixing species in their exhibits (as long as it is safe). I have an awesome memory of getting to meet a cheetah there!

I have moved this to the Southern CA board where you may get more opinions.

Unless you're a big zoo person I would check out other sights if you only have one day (Balboa Park, beach, Gaslamp, Midway, etc.). We have also been passholders on and off for years and I prefer the Safari Park to the zoo, but it will be a long drive and, as others have said, probably a very hot day in September. If you love the zoo, see it as it is one of the best in the world, but if not I'd do a city tour instead.

I grew up in San Diego and always had passes, totally taking for granted what an awesome zoo it was and is! There simply is no other zoo like it. We moved from San Diego to Texas and visited zoos in Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston--it just made me long for that zoo. I agree that the Safari (called the Wild Animal Park when I was growing up) is not to be missed, but I think is unrealistic to do with one day in San Diego. I think I would wait and see how the weather was and if it was really hot, maybe do Balboa Park and Old Town, maybe adding Sea Port Village for some fun shopping.

The zoo is worth the cost of admission. What they lack in is quality food. There is one good restaurant, Albert's, but it will be expensive. How are you at walking up and down hills? It seems like people who don't mind walking up and down hills can easily spend a whole day there, while those who don't will just ride the bus and see a few things off of the bus. For just one day in San Diego, I recommend the zoo if you like animals and plants.

Thank you for all of the recommendations! I think we might go, depending on the weather and if it's too hot or not. I really want to visit the beach. Where is the best part of the beach to go swimming?

Here's my review of the zoo I put on Tripadvisor. It's pretty detailed but maybe it will help. :)

“Was expecting the best of the best but....”

......it wasn't unfortunately. My daughter wants to go into zoology so we have been to so many zoos across the country and this zoo was a big bucket list item for her. I was expecting to be blown away but I wasn't. Not that it was bad at all (I did have a few issues which I'll list below) and we had a really fun time and it's a really nice zoo but I don't think it was the best zoo I've ever been to for the reasons I'll list below.

I'll start out with the positives:

1. The best thing this zoo has is the amount and variey of animals. You'll be hard pressed to find a zoo that has as many animals as you'll see here.

2. They are very tourist friendly....lots of entertainment and educational employees walking around. We saw puppets, a band, talked to random volunteers. There always seemed to be plenty of extra activities to keep you busy.

3. The weather - obviously it's San Diego so you'll have picture perfect weather. No rainy, hot or humid days to worry about here.

4. Lots of shade - a great deal of the park is shaded so if you are hot or need a rest, there are plenty of places to take a break or leisurely stroll out of the sun.

5. Active animals - I felt like the zoo had very active animals compared to other zoos we've been to.

6. Skyfari - this was a great way to travel across the zoo.

Negatives:

1. Size of zoo and exhibits: I mentioned above about how they have every animal you can think of. That's great and all BUT I feel like too many of the exhibits were way too small. I feel like for the amount of animals and variety this zoo has, they should have WAY more space. The Columbus Zoo for example is almost 4x as big.

2. Layout/Signage: Let me start out by saying that I am one of those people that has a natural sense of direction. I almost never get lost and am good with maps and figuring out where to go in general. With that said....I have never seen a more poorly laid out section of a zoo especially compared to the signage and the map. I can't even tell you how many times we got so turned around in the middle section of the zoo. We would come to a fork and it would have pictures of animals with arrows pointing down one path and then different animals with arrows pointing down another path. So you'd pick one and then you'd come to more paths coming off of that one that weren't labeled. And then you'd end up somewhere you weren't wanting to go or back where you started or somewhere you had already been. Nothing seemed to match up with the map or the signs. It got to the point I was ready to scream I was so frustrated. We saw many other people standing looking at maps and signs trying to figure it out as well. I was extremely disappointed in this lack of planning on the zoos part.

3. Buses: We were beyond irritated at the buses driving around on the paths and the employees constantly telling people to move over. It got old really quick. I felt like we were here to walk around and enjoy the zoo, not constantly having to get out of the way for the tour buses to go by especially in the more compact areas where it was more crowded and you couldn't easily walk on the sidewalks. Another poor planning piece in my opinion.

4. Panda Exhibit: We did not like the way they herded you through the panda exhibit. It was so tight and crowded and the employees were constantly telling people to move along. You either had people rushing through pushing you along or people that would stop for a long time and wouldn't move. I feel like if they just opened it up like other exhibits way more people could fit and come and go as they wish. Especially if you have a child that is obsessed with pandas and was really looking forward to seeing them. It was disappointing to be rushed through the exhibit and couldn't even stand and watch for a few minutes.

With that said, we had a really fun time and enjoyed our visit to the zoo. We may be a little more critical than most people because like I said, we go to a lot of zoos but I was just expecting it to be the "perfect" zoo and it wasn't. It was a really nice zoo but not the best in my opinion. I've seen a lot of complaints about the price but that actually wasn't one of mine. It wasn't that much more than other large zoos and you are in Southern California in a high tourist destination so the price was to be expected. I definitely do recommend going though if in the area if you love zoos/animals and I'm sure you will have a great time. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter