Saratoga Springs - standard vs preferred

goofy4wdw2

DIS Veteran
We are currently booked at SSR in a 2BR standard for a resort only (no parks) stay in April. I’m debating switching to preferred. My understanding is that preferred is Springs or a Congress Park, standard is the other sections...is that right? If so, I’m thinking preferred could be nice to be closer to main building/dining and boat dock and the walkway to Disney Springs....but are there parts of a Congress Park that are far from the main building? We stayed in the Paddock once about 5+ years ago and it was close to that pool and not far from the main building but I’m guessing with standard we could end up anywhere. We have three kids and would like to be near at least one of the fun pools since we’ll spend more time at the resort than usual. Can anyone share pros/cons of standard vs preferred (aside from points lol)?

We are currently booked at SSR in a 2BR standard for a resort only (no parks) stay in April. I’m debating switching to preferred. My understanding is that preferred is Springs or a Congress Park, standard is the other sections...is that right? If so, I’m thinking preferred could be nice to be closer to main building/dining and boat dock and the walkway to Disney Springs....but are there parts of a Congress Park that are far from the main building? We stayed in the Paddock once about 5+ years ago and it was close to that pool and not far from the main building but I’m guessing with standard we could end up anywhere. We have three kids and would like to be near at least one of the fun pools since we’ll spend more time at the resort than usual. Can anyone share pros/cons of standard vs preferred (aside from points lol)?
Yes, Preferred is Springs or Congress Park. If you get springs you'll be closer to main pool/dining. If you get CP you'll be close to Downtown Disney BUT could be far from the main pool/dining at Springs if you're on the far end of CP. If you do Standard, you could get Grandstand (quiet pool - still a walk from Springs, but first bus stop) or Carousel (not many upsides unless you drive and want to be first out of resort, or Paddocks which has a great themed pool and "can" also be somewhat close to either the Springs (across pond) or CP (across street.) It's all a "maybe" no matter where you book.

I like grandstand for park trips as it is the first stop. If you have the points and would be happier requesting the Springs, then go for it! The proximity to the resort amenities is a nice benefit.

If you get preferred and have the far building at Congress Park, you are a long walk to the main pool. It's great if you want to walk to Disney Springs.
I think it is a tough call; you can get lucky with standard unless you get the Carousel section.

If you get preferred and have the far building at Congress Park, you are a long walk to the main pool. It's great if you want to walk to Disney Springs.
I think it is a tough call; you can get lucky with standard unless you get the Carousel section.
I really think they need to give Carousel ANY type of up-side to encourage people to not hate staying there. It's the only reason I ever cringe when thinking about SSR. I can find the silver lining in all 4 other sections. Carousel? Nothing.

Grandstand is only a request, you could easily get the furthest room in Carousel, or you could be sprinkled with pixie dust and end up in the of the Paddock closest to Congress Park.

Regardless, as spread out as it is, the walk from the farthest building to the Carriage House is still only 10 minutes IMO.

saratoga.jpg

Since it's a resort only stay I'd keep your standard. No need to rush anywhere!

We stayed in a preferred room in Congress Park in 1101-1436 and absolutely loved it. We were literally feet from the path to Disney Springs and we had a lake facing view - it was beautiful, but this doesn't seem to be what you are looking for. We were also very close to the pool right there, but it was a much smaller/quiet one. Our daughter was only 2 at the time and a pool was a pool for her, didn't really matter. Since you have kids, I think it's worth it if you want to guarantee being as close to the main pool as possible, if not, I would save your points and stick to standard.

We took the plunge and switched to preferred! Paddock buy the bridge and pool would be great but since not guaranteed, we thought we should do preferred by either the main pool and boat or the walkway to Disney Springs. Thanks everyone!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter