Sausage balls

To clarify, I'm fairy certain (correct me if I'm wrong) that Mizzoufan is talking about this type of recipe...

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/21649/sausage-balls/

Some of these comments are making me wonder if there's another kind of sausage ball out there. Certainly, these are a southern staple.

That's different. Thanks, never would think about putting anything but sausage in sausage balls.

They don’t exist here, same with the grape jelly meatballs or Lil smokies, or anything on top of a block of cream cheese. Or cold cuts wrapped around cream cheese.

We have sausage balls but I've never heard of the rest of the list you've outlined except here and from people I know from the Midwest.

Grew up in NY, lived in CT and RI, and now live in Mass and I concur. I hadn’t heard of any of these appetizers until the Dis.

Eta: the posted recipe does sound good though! I’d consider making those for Christmas breakfast along with cinnamon rolls. I’ve never cooked with ground sausage though—only ever purchased Irish breakfast sausage or hot or sweet Italian sausage.

I've never seen sausage balls as an app and I'm a devoted southern, albeit an odd one.

I love all the different regional names and traditions we discuss on the dis. So neat!

Last edited:

I've never seen sausage balls as an app and I'm a devoted southern, albeit an odd one.

I love all the different regional names and traditions we discuss on the dis. So neat!

Honestly I only started seeing them as an appetizer after everyone "discovered" the recipe around here and first started serving them with their holiday breakfast. I often wondered if they had them left over so just served them again at dinner or brought them as a contribution to dinner lol.

Unless you have a way to keep them piping hot while you pass them around or put them on the buffet , I think they are much better served at breakfast and hot. When they cool they can have a bit of a cold grease taste to them,imo.

I make a huge batch of them and bring them to my family Christmas. There are 9 kids, 5 adults, and it's a weekend at a cabin. So, easy to pre-make and then bake that morning. Serve with fruit salad.

have you ever tried Schweddy Balls

First thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread!!

I'm from New England (Boston area growing up, now in Maine) and I've never heard of sausage balls or little smokies (?). I also never had the jelly meatballs until I was at a SIL's in Indiana. They are too sweet for me; I make mine with cranberry sauce and cocktail sauce (for shrimp cocktail, with horseradish in it) to cut through the sweet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter