Say Please in French - A June and Sept. 2018 DLP TR *Updated 4/22

Thank you!
I believe I've seen your posts around the DLP Half Marathon thread. Are you excited for the race? I'm at the point where I'm tired of training and am just ready for it to be race day! We're staying at Sequioa Lodge, as well, so perhaps I'll see you around at some point! (Most likely, you'll hear my kids singing in the lobby or arguing over who gets to push the elevator button.)

I am so excited, also because it's the first time we stay Club Level, we decided to go for it (and I had a very good sales lady persuading me to upgrade), and this year I took extra days of before and after to recover, so it will be a nice vacation anyway.
But I also get training fatigue! Ten weeks before the marathon, I had started a program via the Nike Run App, which makes me run 3 times a week. It does give me confidence that I will survive the 36K Challenge ;-) but it does take a lot out of me.

And I am in doubt about costumes. The first 2 half marathons I ran in my own clothes, but both times I thought 'it would be nice to join the costume club'!

Despite all the extra stops, it sounds like you got to Disneyland at a decent time!

That was a nice surprise about the Fastpasses!

I chuckled at the Incredibles poster! Looks like it could have just been part of the decor and not a movie advertisement!

The hotel looks beautiful! And those Fastpasses are really cool ... what a nice surprise!

Also ... I think I know what Landon wants to ride. I wonder if there's a song in French...

I am so excited, also because it's the first time we stay Club Level, we decided to go for it (and I had a very good sales lady persuading me to upgrade), and this year I took extra days of before and after to recover, so it will be a nice vacation anyway.
But I also get training fatigue! Ten weeks before the marathon, I had started a program via the Nike Run App, which makes me run 3 times a week. It does give me confidence that I will survive the 36K Challenge ;-) but it does take a lot out of me.

And I am in doubt about costumes. The first 2 half marathons I ran in my own clothes, but both times I thought 'it would be nice to join the costume club'!

I'm sure everyone training for the races is feeling the fatigue at this point. It's a lot of running and takes up a lot of your life. I knew I'd have to commit to this race, but I never realized how much I'd have to put into it to get my body ready for 13 miles.

I'm going kind of half-way with a costume. Rather than go all out, I am wearing a shirt with a fun saying on it and a skirt over running shorts. I just don't have the confidence to dress in a full blown costume and worry about steering away from traditional workout clothes.

Despite all the extra stops, it sounds like you got to Disneyland at a decent time!

That was a nice surprise about the Fastpasses!

I chuckled at the Incredibles poster! Looks like it could have just been part of the decor and not a movie advertisement!

We usually only have to make one stop on the way to Disneyland Paris, and with that factored in it only takes 5 hours! We're actually closer to this park then we were to WDW. And I didn't think that would ever happen. It's pretty nice!

The hotel looks beautiful! And those Fastpasses are really cool ... what a nice surprise!

Also ... I think I know what Landon wants to ride. I wonder if there's a song in French...

The hotel was my favorite parts of the trip; I never thought I'd get to stay in something so nice or convenient.
Landon's ride choice might come as a surprise, it was one that's not at the FL parks.

If I ever visit Disneyland Paris I will definitely be staying at the DL Hotel, so pretty!

Definitely! It really makes a Disneyland Paris trip more magical when you're staying, literally, at the entrance at the entrance to the park.

What a beautiful resort! Er hotel. So pretty! Oh, Evie... LOL!

It was so much fun to be that close to a Disney park.

Every trip, we get Evie to like Disney a little more. We just have to keep taking her until she eventually finds something that makes her truly happy there. And I can't believe with all the different sights/activities/shows there isn't something up her alley.

I'm here!! So looking forward to this! I laughed about how much time and effort it takes to get a family with little ones on the road! :laughing: And what a beautiful resort—I'd love to stay there someday!

Every trip, we get Evie to like Disney a little more. We just have to keep taking her until she eventually finds something that makes her truly happy there. And I can't believe with all the different sights/activities/shows there isn't something up her alley.

Two words: Disney Bounding!

LOL!!! Seriously, she loves to dress us and take photos. Perfectly acceptable ways to enjoy Disney!

I'm here!! So looking forward to this! I laughed about how much time and effort it takes to get a family with little ones on the road! :laughing: And what a beautiful resort—I'd love to stay there someday!

Yay, thanks for hopping over here!
Whenever we take day trips, I pack as much as possible the night before, because it takes almost an hour to get those kids ready!
The Disneyland Hotel was stunning!

Two words: Disney Bounding!

LOL!!! Seriously, she loves to dress us and take photos. Perfectly acceptable ways to enjoy Disney!

You probably hit the nail on the head with that idea. I imagine Evie's going to have a lot more fun going to the parks if I let her dress herself in whatever way she wants.

Hello, did you all have a good weekend? I sure hope so, especially for those of you that had 3 days off. Ours was busy but very fun-filled!

Landon had his first ever soccer practice on Friday evening:
35 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Then, on Sunday, we went to a local wine festival with friends.
IMG_7849 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Where I had a grand time (perhaps too grand:drinking1) watching the parade and receiving free glasses of Riesling. The kids were given all sorts of goodies…everything from grapes to rolls to keychains.

IMG_7864 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

The following day, Alex and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary in Luxembourg:
IMG_7895 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

And then Tuesday we sent Landon off on his first day of kindergarten!
IMG_7921 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Next week, both kids start their gymnastics classes so between school, sports, and my own clubs and workouts I’m going to be one busy Mama. I’m happy for it, though, and I try my hardest to carve out some “me” time once a week to write these updates and relive the Disney memories.

Okay…I apologize in advance for the lack of park pictures in this update. I promise more to come in later posts!

Wednesday, June 13th, 2018 Part 2:

On our 2016 weekend trip, Landon fell in love with Slinky Dog Zigzag Spin. Not to be confused with the new Slinky Dog Dash in DHS, this attraction is more carnival-esq. It’s a circular track that goes around and around and over a few hills for about thirty seconds then stops as abruptly as it begins. I firmly believe they created the ride to help keep kids entertained while the adults try out RC Racer.

And while I don’t have any issues with that train of thought or of the actual attraction, I did grumble a bit that my son wanted our first ride of the trip to be such an “off the shelf” ride.

We’ve got such gems as Peter Pan’s Flight and Small World and the Disney train at our fingertips and he goes with Slinky Dog.

*sigh*

No account for taste, I suppose…:rotfl2:

Alex and I walked the short distance to the Studios.

f1 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

And entered our first park of the trip!

We were on a mission to get through Slinky Dog as quickly as possible, so we weren’t stopping to take photos or look around at the front of the park. Alex really wanted to be in and out in no time.

I felt that way, too, but had to stop for at least one selfie in front of the Sorcerer’s Hat:

01.JPG

I never minded the hat in Hollywood Studios but accepted its removal with grace. Here at the Studios Parc though, I’m quite attached to it.
It has Peter and Wendy flying around it, who wouldn’t smile at that charming sight?

My quick photo snapped, we rushed on into Toy Story Land and to the ride entrance. The plan was for all of us to go on Slinky together, but Evie threw a fit when she saw the attraction. Alex and I tried our hardest to convince her to give Slinky a chance – she had gone on more intense rides at Eflteling a few weeks beforehand – but I guess the memory of Barnstormer was still fresh in her mind because she wouldn’t budge. Eventually, Alex and I had to split up, with him taking the determined little girl off to have a look around and me getting in the 10 minute line with Landon.

02.JPG

Landon was extremely patient while we waited in line, reading the games that were posted on the walls and talking about other rides he wanted to try and making the time pass easily. During the wait I had gotten hold of the other DISer and discovered she was in the Disneyland Park. After a couple back and forths, we agreed to meet in Town Square after we were finished with Slinky Dog.

When our turn came up, Landon and I were sent to Row 8 and boarded, him with excitement me with relief. I was ready to be done with Slinky and move on to the main park!

03.JPG

While Landon and I were speeding around in circles, Alex was showing Evie off to a couple local inhabitants:

04.JPG

That was much more Evie’s speed, so I guess in the end both kids got what they wanted.

Just as soon as we had gone into the Studios, we were leaving. I made us stop on the way out and grab some fuel.

f2 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

A cappuccino and a chocolate donut. Because nothing keeps the wheels turning like sugar and caffeine…

It took less then ten minutes to walk from the exit of one park to the entrance of the second park. Something I find amazing every time I experience it. With years and years of Walt Disney World in my background, it fascinates me to experience two parks located so close together. I’m so used to having to plan travel time into my schedule that having everything in walking distance is one of the big reasons I love the Paris parks.

Alex and I never had to hop on a bus or load up into the car; everything we needed was just a short walk away.

How amazing is that?!

Especially with young kids, there’s something to be said about going on vacation and having a huge consideration (transportation) being not just taken care but essentially eliminated. It took away a layer of stress, which was a huge perk in my book.

Entering the Disneyland Park, I immediately spotted the DISer in question and made my way over to her. As luck would have it, @LesleyWake was taking a family vacation to France at the same time as us, and she had gotten to DLP a few days earlier. This was her last full day in the parks, and I was really excited our trips overlapped and I could spend some time with her before she left.

After years and years on the DIS, Alex has become used to DISmeets and just goes along with them; he keeps to the background and lets me have my fun meeting my friends. For those that also read Lesley’s reports, she was just as nice and generous in person as she is in her reports. The first thing she did when she saw us was give the kids gifts!

Not only was that such an above and beyond thoughtful thing to do, but they were actually geared to their interests. Lesley had taken the time to get something she knew they liked, which I was really floored by.
Both kids received a coloring book that used a pen with water to make colors appear on the pages. It was a mess-free activity that was also entertaining; Landon had been given a Tinker Bell one and Evie an animal one.

The kids immediately wanted to start playing with them, but Alex and I told them they had to wait a little while. Knowing my children, they would have sat on a bench and colored those pages for hours rather than explore the parks!

If Lesley’s notes from her trip are half as good as the ones from her previous trips, she will probably have a lot more detailed description of our afternoon. I’m most likely only describing surfaces events of our time, so I apologize for that. The first thing I remember us discussing after the initial introductions were the hotel Fastpasses and how nice they were.

I believe she remembered that Landon liked Big Thunder Mountain and asked if we wanted to go use our FPs for that.

Nobody has to twist my arm to ride Thunder!

I was off and headed to Frontierland in no time. During our first visit to Paris, Thunder Mtn was closed, and I was most looking forward to trying this version. I had heard a lot people describe it as being better than WDW’s, so I needed to test that theory out myself.

Alex stayed back with Evie while Lesley, me, and Landon got in line.
Landon thinks anyone and everyone is his friend, so it came as no surprise to me when he asked to ride with Lesley. In his little five year old mind, Lesley had shown up to hang with him. I mean, she knew his name and brought him a Tinker Bell gift…obviously she wanted to be his ride companion.

05.JPG

We were tightened into our seats, me all on my lonesome, and took off quicker than I was expecting. The ride essentially shot us to the middle of an island where we careened around turns and up into the dark centers of the mine shafts.

06.JPG

The ride went on and on…it easily had to be twice as long as the WDW version and provided some spectacular views of the park from up high. I had a blast and appreciated how in depth the attraction was, but the one in the Magic Kingdom is still my favorite. This one had more sharp turns, but I prefer the drops on the MK one.

That being said, this one was still a ton of fun and my 3rd favorite attraction at DLP.

While we were riding, Alex had made his way over to a shop and was getting his first look at the merchandise for sale. What a surprise….:rolleyes:

He saw this 25th Anniversary shirt and seemed to really like it:
f3 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

He also found a pack of park posters similar to the WDW ones we have at home:
f4 by Alicia Wolchick, on Flickr

Then he stumbled across this Remy and almost bought him right then and there:

07.JPG

We got back to him and he excitedly opened his phone. “Look at what I found! I think Evie needs this. Don’t you think she should have a Remy?”

I just rolled my eyes and told him it was his turn to ride Thunder. Lesley, continuing to be super generous, offered Alex a second park FastPass so that Landon could ride a second time.

Alex was incredibly thankful for that gift; normally he has to go on coasters alone because Landon wants to ride them with me. It was a rare treat to take Landon on Thunder. In fact, I think this was the first time he had actually ridden BTMR with his son!

Alex always asks for Row 1:
08.JPG

And I can only assume Landon gave him a play by play of what to expect as they went off on the wildest ride in the wilderness:
09.JPG

Meanwhile, Evie was sitting in the stroller with me and Lesley, begging me incessantly for her coloring book. Finally, I gave in and let her have it. Lesley had actually pre-filled the markers with water so I didn’t even have to do anything!

10.JPG

With Evie occupied, Lesley and I were free to stand around and chat about everything from her time in Paris to upcoming trips to life in general. I know standing around idle, might not have been very fun for her, but it was really nice to get to know her and have a pleasant conversation.

She was incredibly easy to talk to, and I was really happy to have gotten to the chance to meet her in person and get to know her better. I probably asked her a million questions about Disneyland out in California, since she visits there often, and joked that we might have many more DISmeets in the future if we get stationed in that part of the US.

About fifteen minutes passed before the boys returned to us, and then it was time to figure out our next plan of attack. We had the whole evening before us and endless possibilities at our fingertips. Where would our whims take us next?

Up Next…No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk

I firmly believe they created the ride to help keep kids entertained while the adults try out RC Racer.

Fairly smart on their part, really.

We’ve got such gems as Peter Pan’s Flight and Small World and the Disney train at our fingertips and he goes with Slinky Dog.

*sigh*

No account for taste, I suppose…:rotfl2:

:rotfl: Oh, Landon!

I never minded the hat in Hollywood Studios but accepted its removal with grace. Here at the Studios Parc though, I’m quite attached to it. It has Peter and Wendy flying around it, who wouldn’t smile at that charming sight?

Oh, that's kind of sweet! I kinda like it!

I didn't dislike the hat at DHS, but I also wasn't especially attached to it.

With years and years of Walt Disney World in my background, it fascinates me to experience two parks located so close together. I’m so used to having to plan travel time into my schedule that having everything in walking distance is one of the big reasons I love the Paris parks.

Alex and I never had to hop on a bus or load up into the car; everything we needed was just a short walk away.

How amazing is that?!

That sounds so fantastic! That's one of the things we actually like a lot about visiting Universal in Orlando. I'd love this aspect of the Paris parks!

Not only was that such an above and beyond thoughtful thing to do, but they were actually geared to their interests. Lesley had taken the time to get something she knew they liked, which I was really floored by. Both kids received a coloring book that used a pen with water to make colors appear on the pages. It was a mess-free activity that was also entertaining; Landon had been given a Tinker Bell one and Evie an animal one.

Oh my goodness, how sweet is this!? Well done, @Lesley Wake !!

Landon thinks anyone and everyone is his friend, so it came as no surprise to me when he asked to ride with Lesley. In his little five year old mind, Lesley had shown up to hang with him. I mean, she knew his name and brought him a Tinker Bell gift…obviously she wanted to be his ride companion.

:lovestruc What a funny, sweet little guy!

She was incredibly easy to talk to, and I was really happy to have gotten to the chance to meet her in person and get to know her better. I probably asked her a million questions about Disneyland out in California, since she visits there often, and joked that we might have many more DISmeets in the future if we get stationed in that part of the US.

Sounds like an awesome Dismeet!

Entering the Disneyland Park, I immediately spotted the DISer in question and made my way over to her. As luck would have it, @LesleyWake was taking a family vacation to France at the same time as us, and she had gotten to DLP a few days earlier. This was her last full day in the parks, and I was really excited our trips overlapped and I could spend some time with her before she left.
I know - it was such an awesome coincidence!

If Lesley’s notes from her trip are half as good as the ones from her previous trips, she will probably have a lot more detailed description of our afternoon. I’m most likely only describing surfaces events of our time, so I apologize for that. The first thing I remember us discussing after the initial introductions were the hotel Fastpasses and how nice they were.
Haha, yeah...once I actually get to that part in my TR! Though I didn't take many photos either at first - just enjoying the company! I had a lot of fun with Landon on BTMR - only concern was him getting too jostled around because the lapbar wouldn't come down enough for him! But I think we got a rhythm after a little bit!

With Evie occupied, Lesley and I were free to stand around and chat about everything from her time in Paris to upcoming trips to life in general. I know standing around idle, might not have been very fun for her, but it was really nice to get to know her and have a pleasant conversation.

It was great to have a new friend to chat with! Especially being on my own for the past several days! I loved your whole family and would be so excited if you guys end up closer to DL!

Oh my goodness, how sweet is this!? Well done, @Lesley Wake !!

:lovestruc What a funny, sweet little guy!
Yeah, I usually try to bring along a small gift for any kids "dragged" along to dismeets! It definitely helps get over the initial shyness!

And Landon is the best park buddy ever!

A busy week you had! Glad to hear all is well :)

The people have spoken...they want Slinky Dog! At least you didn't have to wait too long and were out of there quickly!

Glad you were able to meet up with Lesley! Sounds like a great time spent with her. Her and Landon look so cute together on BTMRR!

And I kinda agree with DH..Evie definitely needed that Remy! Or maybe it's just me that wants it :rotfl2:

How amazing is that?!
It is amazing! DL is the same and I seriously was in LOVE with that!

Not only was that such an above and beyond thoughtful thing to do, but they were actually geared to their interests. Lesley had taken the time to get something she knew they liked, which I was really floored by. Both kids received a coloring book that used a pen with water to make colors appear on the pages. It was a mess-free activity that was also entertaining; Landon had been given a Tinker Bell one and Evie an animal one.
She really is super thoughtful!

In his little five year old mind, Lesley had shown up to hang with him. I mean, she knew his name and brought him a Tinker Bell gift…obviously she wanted to be his ride companion.

05-jpg.348914
Well of course! I mean she brought presents...

Alex was incredibly thankful for that gift; normally he has to go on coasters alone because Landon wants to ride them with me. It was a rare treat to take Landon on Thunder. In fact, I think this was the first time he had actually ridden BTMR with his son!

Alex always asks for Row 1:
08-jpg.348917
That really is actually the best gift she could have given you guys! Glad that Alex was able to ride with Landon. Is Evie too tall? You can't render swap?

I should have figured that Landon would want to do the Slinky Dog ride first. I remember you mentioning on the last DLP report how much he loved that thing. (Not that I can blame him … I loved rides like that when I was a kid too)

All this talk of the parks being within walking distance … I really hope you guys get stationed somewhere near Disneyland. The park entrances are right across from each other. You’d love it. Kids can easily stay in stroller going from one park to the other.

So cool that you got to meet up and spend some time with a DIS friend!

he following day, Alex and I celebrated our 7th wedding anniversary in Luxembourg:

Happy anniversary again!

I made us stop on the way out and grab some fuel.

You need it!

Because nothing keeps the wheels turning like sugar and caffeine…

Nothing beats this combo.

@LesleyWake was taking a family vacation to France at the same time as us, and she had gotten to DLP a few days earlier. This was her last full day in the parks, and I was really excited our trips overlapped and I could spend some time with her before she left.

YAY!!!! So happy you got to meet up!

I mean, she knew his name and brought him a Tinker Bell gift…obviously she wanted to be his ride companion.

Well, yeah!

Let me know if you do!!! :)

I’m loving your trip so far Alicia :)
You’re going to have a busy time of it between kindergarten and clubs but sure busy is good :)
Hope Landon is enjoying school :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!