Saying Hello in EPCOT! =0)

Great idea!

I'll speak to SCANNE about it, who is our musical theatre teacher who'll be taking our 8th grade musical theatre class to sing with Mickey in February ~I'm going too!~

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I'm teaching my soon to be 8 year old some sayings also for our trip in Dec. so I thought I'd post these too.
96 days left!!!! Yippee!!

Mexico:
Hello = Hola [oh-lah]
Thank you very much = Muchas gracias [moo-chahs grah-see-ahs]
Good-bye = Adiós [ah-dee-ohs] or Hasta la vista [ahs-tah lah vees-tah]

Norway:
Hello = God dag [goo dahg]
Thank you very much = Tusen takk [too-zen tock]
Good-bye = Ha det [ha deh]

China:
Hello = Ni hao [ nee how]
Thank you = Xiéxie [shay-shay]
Good-bye = Zai jien [sigh jee-ahn]

Germany:
Hello = Hallo [hah-loh]
Thank you very much = Danke schõn [dahn-kuh shu(r)n]
Good-bye = Auf Wiedersehen [owf vee-der-zay-in]

Italy:
Hello = Ciao [chow]
Thank you = Grazie [graht-see-eh]
Good-bye = Addio [ah-dee-oh]

Japan:
Good morning = Ohaiyo gozaimasu [oh-hì-yoh goh-zì-mahs]
Good afternoon = Konnichi wa [ kohn-nee-chee wah]
Good evening = Konban wa [ kohn-bahn wah]
Thank you = Arigato gozaimasu [ah-rr-gah-toh goh-zì-mahs]

Morocco:
Hello = salam alekoum [sah-lahm ah-lee-cohm]
Thank you = baraka llahu fik [bah-rah-kah lah-hoo feek]
Good-bye = llah ihennik [lah ee-hen-neek]

France:
Hello = Bonjour [boh(n)-zhoor]
Thank you very much = Merci beaucoup [mair-see boh-koo]
Good-bye = Au revoir [oh re-vwar]

Excuse my ignorance but when reading these boards I often see something being "bumped"........what does that mean ??????

When you post to a thread it "bumps" it back to the top of the board.:D

But I have a few posts "stuck" up here so they're at the top all the time!

Great idea. I am going to add to my planning sheets.

Thanks

When we told the kids we were going to WDW, my 8yo begged us to go to Epcot. He had just finished studying Japan and already knows how to say hello and good-bye and can't wait to say them to someone who understands. Now both my boys can learn these and be able to say "hi"!

twotoohappy
it's so funny to see that you have done the same thing i did for my upcoming trip!
i got my info from www.travlang.com/languages
my kids are 3 and 4 and are learning almost all of them.
i just put them all on an index card and will take it with me as a refresher.

This is just another reminder of my disreputable lifestyle. Hello, goodbye, thank you . . . these are all valuable things to know in other languages.

But on my last visit to EPCOT, I did a world beer tour with one of my business associates, and we made it our mission to learn how to say "beer" in every language. We succeeded, at least temporarily. I'm absolutely sure that as we cheerfully walked (some might say "staggered") back to the Boardwalk after completing our mission in Canada, I knew how to ask for a beer in Spanish, Norwegian, Chinese, German, Swahili, Japanese, Italian, Morroccan, and French.

By the next morning, however, for some reason I couldn't remember most of them. Go figure.

This is awesome! I'm going to do this with my daughter for our next trip. I love the hat idea combined with this! Wooo-hoo!!!

great post, twotoohappy! my DD will be 3 when we go, but i know she can learn most of that. she speaks fluent spanish (we are Ecuadorean) and a good amount of english too. she loves talking, so this is great!
thanks!

great idea, I wish I had thought about that when at AK, i think there they were saying Jambo Rafiki for good morning in swahili, not sure though, never thought to make a note, though now I wish I had.

Jambo is hello in Swahili.

When you're in line for the safari ride in the AK there are several big signs with pictures of animals on them with the Swahili name....for example,and the one I rememeber! :rolleyes: Lion is Simba.I know my 2 boys get a kick out of learning those words too.

Ah.. is my mom gonna make me remeber all that now.. *runs* hehe that sounds fun :teleport:

I hope I'm not stepping on your toes, twotoohappy, but I wanted to offer a couple of notes more appropriate for the adults and older kids who are really interested in other cultures. Thank you for going to the effort of putting all this down.

twotoohappy said:
Mexico:
Hello = Hola [oh-lah]
Thank you very much = Muchas gracias [moo-chahs grah-see-ahs]
Good-bye = Adiós [ah-dee-ohs] or Hasta la vista [ahs-tah lah vees-tah]
You can greet someone by saying "Como estas?" (coh-moh ess-tahss), meaning "How are you?", and if they ask you, you can say "Muy bien, gracias"(Mwee bee-en, grah-see-ahss), or "Very good, thanks".

twotoohappy said:
China:
Hello = Ni hao [ nee how]
Thank you = Xiéxie [shay-shay]
Good-bye = Zai jien [sigh jee-ahn]
Maybe it's a different dialect, but I think in Mandarin thank you is usually pronounced more like sh(y)eh-sh(y)eh, where it pretty much sounds like sheh, but there's a tiny "yuh" sound in there.

twotoohappy said:
Japan:
Good morning = Ohaiyo gozaimasu [oh-hì-yoh goh-zì-mahs]
Good afternoon = Konnichi wa [ kohn-nee-chee wah]
Good evening = Konban wa [ kohn-bahn wah]
Thank you = Arigato gozaimasu [ah-rr-gah-toh goh-zì-mahs]
Although just knowing any Japanese is probably enough, in Japan a customer would probably not use gozaimasu to a server. It's a more polite form, and while in Japan a server might use it with a customer, they would probably be embarassed if a customer used it towards them. I would use "ohayo" for a greeting, and "domo" (doh-moh) for thank you. Domo is technically "very", but the phrase "domo arigato" is often shortened to domo. If you want to be effusively, knee-bendingly grateful, like a CM found your baby about to crawl off a ledge and saved her/him, you can say arigato gozaimasheeta(goh-zayee-mah-shee-tah), which is about as polite as you can get.

twotoohappy said:
Morocco:
Hello = salam alekoum [sah-lahm ah-lee-cohm]
Thank you = baraka llahu fik [bah-rah-kah lah-hoo feek]
Good-bye = llah ihennik [lah ee-hen-neek]
If someone says salaam aleikum to you first, you should reply aleikum salaam. Just reverse the words.

I hope this makes your conversations in Epcot a little more fun! Thanks again to twotoohappy for doing most of the work first! :teeth:

An excellent idea. We lived in Japan for a while, but my daughter was too young to remember. She is, however, fascinated with the idea that she was there. When we got to the Japanese Kidcot station, I reminded her of how to say hello in Japanese. She said it and the young woman helping the kids out started a converstaion with her about Japan and even wrote her a note and her name in Japanese when the Kidcot activity that day only required her to write "Japan" on the paper cutouts. My daughter was over the moon for quite a while after that.

I've copies these down and on our 19-20 hour drive down to WDW we will be practicing these phrases!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!