"Scary" ride question...

mjpeter

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm a fairly new poster on the boards, and we're planning a trip for December/January to Orlando for my husband, myself, and my three sons who will be 10, 8 and 5 at the time. I was to Universal about 10 years ago, and of course I've never been to Islands of Adventure. I have a couple of questions for you about some of the rides. It's pretty easy for me to decide which ones would be too much for my 5 year old, but I'm having trouble with my 8 and 10 year old. BTW, they did all coasters at Disney two years ago except Rock 'n Roller Coaster. What about....

Men in Black....
Revenge of the Mummy...
Terminator 2...
Spider-Man...
Hulk...
Jurassic Park...
Dueling Dragons...

A bit about my kids...my 8 year old is more upset by "scary" things than thrill rides, and my 10 year old is pretty much bullet-proof, lol. Anyone bring 5 year-olds on ANY of these? Any of these rides terrify anybody's kids? Help, please....I don't want us to wait in line all day for something nobody can ride, lol. Thanks!!:worship:

I'll try to answer.

We were just at US/IOA for the first time in about 5 years. We had ds 10 and dd almost 6 with us.

DD has no interest in anything that goes upside-down (just like her mom) so The Hulk and Dueling Dragons were out for her. DS loved them both. You can see most of the rides so they can judge for themselves.

They both loved Spiderman and MiB but both are very sensory-intense rides.

Niether one liked Terminator- they were both scared by it and a little bored- it goes on for a long time.

DS refused to ride Jurrassic Park- he was still afraid of it from 5 years ago, DD enjoyed it.

ROTM- DS liked it, I didn't get to tide, it seemed to be down every time I tried to go on.

HTH.

Hi! I'm a fairly new poster on the boards, and we're planning a trip for December/January to Orlando for my husband, myself, and my three sons who will be 10, 8 and 5 at the time. I was to Universal about 10 years ago, and of course I've never been to Islands of Adventure. I have a couple of questions for you about some of the rides. It's pretty easy for me to decide which ones would be too much for my 5 year old, but I'm having trouble with my 8 and 10 year old. BTW, they did all coasters at Disney two years ago except Rock 'n Roller Coaster. What about....

Men in Black....
Revenge of the Mummy...
Terminator 2...
Spider-Man...
Hulk...
Jurassic Park...
Dueling Dragons...

A bit about my kids...my 8 year old is more upset by "scary" things than thrill rides, and my 10 year old is pretty much bullet-proof, lol. Anyone bring 5 year-olds on ANY of these? Any of these rides terrify anybody's kids? Help, please....I don't want us to wait in line all day for something nobody can ride, lol. Thanks!!:worship:

Men in Black is really interactive so the fear factor is minimized by the fact the rider has a lazer gun shooting for points. they all will love it. my son was 6 the first time and he loved it.

Mummy has scary stuff in it and has dark parts so be careful there.

Spiderman is a blast but my six year old at the time (He is 10 now) got scared by the 3D effect going to him. he might feel a bit scared but i think he can do this one because it has great simulated thrill.

hulk and the dragon are pure thrill rides and shouldn't be missed.

Terminator has the same effect as spidey but the robots could be scary.

Jurassic is scary for the screamish with threatening dinos throughout the ride and the finale could be an issue for him.

hope this helps

Thanks so much! It's so nice to be able to talk to people instead of reading it out of a book, lol.

A lot of the rides are on U-Tube if you're not sure about them. My son has always been quite a thrill ride seeker. NOTHING has ever been too scarey for him. The scarier the better so it's hard to judge what you're boys like and don't like. If left up to me I'd want them to try everything at least once.:scared1:

Of course when my son was 5 he wasn't tall enough for some stuff so that pretty much nipped that. But all kids are so very very different.

For the 5 year old...if they've never seen anything 3-D before you might plan on "lifting" the glasses so they can see it's just a blurry movie and not "real". My son was 6 and he sorta freaked out at Honey I Shrunk the Audience. I pushed him to see it again (after promising that he could call Grandma and tell on me). The second time around I lifted his glasses..after that he was fine with 3-D movies.

You might want to take them to meet Spidey before trying the ride. When DS was younger, it always seemed like he could get behind the characters in the rides more if he'd met them first. If they get spooked they just need to close their eyes and it just becomes a car that slides and rocks.

The Mummy ride is fabulous but has a couple of intense roller coaster sections and fairly scary mummy yelling things at you at times.

Men in Black shouldn't scare anyone.

Have they seen the Terminator movies? DS was excited to see the show because he just loved the movies. That might make a difference too.

Hulk and Dueling Dragons - you can see those and get their impressions right there.

Jurassic Park has the big drop but the car is really enclosed and we felt safer on it than on Splash Mountain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter