Scary Tomorrowland rumor!

I don't get why he said they can't demo the people mover tracks because they go inside some of the ride buildings. So? Demo it up to that point and leave them in the buildings.

I think the going speculation/rumor is that when the peoplemover was built, the tracks were incorporated into the structural design of the buildings it passed through and are load bearing. Therefore, tearing out the central support in the promenade could cause the buildings on either side at a minimum to become less structurally sound (that’s Buzz and Star Tours, possibly the star trader and former starcade buildings, and even Space Mountain).

I doubt many (if any) of us on these forums could say for certain if this is true or not, but the fact they are still there after all this time when there have been ample opportunities to improve the land, lends credit to the theory. I’m sure the real reason is something we’ll never truly know. Maybe it will come to light someday when TL finally gets the makeover it deserves.

I think the going speculation/rumor is that when the peoplemover was built, the tracks were incorporated into the structural design of the buildings it passed through and are load bearing. Therefore, tearing out the central support in the promenade could cause the buildings on either side at a minimum to become less structurally sound (that’s Buzz and Star Tours, possibly the star trader and former starcade buildings, and even Space Mountain).

I doubt many (if any) of us on these forums could say for certain if this is true or not, but the fact they are still there after all this time when there have been ample opportunities to improve the land, lends credit to the theory. I’m sure the real reason is something we’ll never truly know. Maybe it will come to light someday when TL finally gets the makeover it deserves.

That is 100% true and exactly why the tracks are still there. Within the scope of Project Stardust, they would love those tracks (and support pillars) to be long gone. So any plan to get rid of those tracks would necessitate a major overhaul to the entire land. I would believe that Space Mountain would be safe along with a modified version of Autopia (move eco-friendly and modern since it's in TL after all). While we all envision our own "Perfect Version" of TL, I would love to see a WALL-E ride focused on recycling in the place of Buzz or Star Tours. With so many vacant buildings and such I would also hope there would be room for the Tron coaster.

My DH and I have been talking for YEARS that Tomorrowland needs some serious love!

I was shocked at the condition of Buzz last trip (Jan. 2019). I was REALLY hoping they were permanently removing Astro Orbiter when they just refurbed it...it just looks so odd in that spot and makes is so hard to walk in and out of TL. And those terrible french fry rocks at the entrance also need to go! LOL.

We would be thrilled to get a TRON coaster at DL! So excited! Also, Space is my favorite attraction so of course I do not want that removed, but I do think that the rest of the land could be gutted (but PLEASE save and move the Mary Blair murals if they are still there!). I think, Autopia could also stay, since kids love it so much. Maybe make the cars electric? There is SO much potential! I love the idea of a WALL-E attraction too! And also think that they should maybe consider going with a retro 60's space race theme with TL. It's so hard to predict and keep up with the future...and things could become dated quickly...

Overall, I would just be really happy if TL gets any love at all! Excited to see/hear of any official updates on these rumors! :goodvibes

It'll never get completely taken out. It's still THE place people always go...usually first.

Space Mountain is going NO WHERE. Period.

The Subs are a great kid pleaser and a hat tip to the highest grossing Pixar film.

Buzz Lightyear is still way too popular with young boys to take out. It could use a refresh, though.

Star Tours: who knows. It's still an awesome ride with 45 minutes lines. Why they'd take it out just because they have GE on the other side of the park is a reason I can't ever agree with. It's as "Tomorrow" as you can get.

The Captain Eo theater could use a new film, for sure. Maybe Avengers tech or even SpaceX stuff.

Astro Orbiter is great for little kids. It's the spacey Dumbo. There's nothing you could possibly replace it with that would fit that size. I've been on it twice in dozens of days in the parks, so it's not a fave. But people ride it...and again, you can't take it out and replace it with something with the same footprint. Unless it's some type of 150 ft "Astro Re-Entry" drop-straight-down ride, it aint gonna fit.

I'll certainly miss the Star Wars Jedi show. I have no idea what would fit there...other than more tables for the counter service.

Honestly, they'd be dumb to touch it at this point. After pouring in money to GE, and soon to be expanding Avenger Land at DCA, a Tomorrowland re-do has to be years and years away.

I'd keep Buzz Lightyear, Star Tours, Space Mountain, Monorail stop, Finding Nemo, and Autopia. Don't kill me :P

Honestly hope that they don't take it down/remove stuff though - such a classic land! I'd be really disappointed if they did.

I would love to see the Carousel of Progress return to DL, with an updated ending, of course. Also agree with others who have said that the Autopia cars need to go electric.

Carousel of progress would be awesome. I'm going to sound like a broken record, but BRING BACK THE PEOPLEMOVER!

On a DIS video just the other day, it was mentioned as someone's favorite ride at WDW! I think there are more Peoplemover fans out there than are appreciated. Last two times I've been to WDW, there's been a 15 minute wait for them. They were always popular at Disneyland, and are just a great way to see things and enjoy a ride for around 8 minutes.

I would like them to keep Space Mountain, the People Mover, Carousel of progress, and just change the cars over to electric. I wound't mind if everything else went.

I think you’re on the wrong coast :)

Autopia and the subs should go. That’s just nostalgia keeping outdated rides around for no reason. Heck really everything could go except for SpaceMountain. Buzz and Star Tours are becoming dated as well.

I’d vote for full gut and remodel with a new people mover in those plans.

Oh I love this topic! I’ve thought of ways they could keep existing attractions but re-theme them to fit into a Fantasyland expansion and as a way to honor more Disney films that have little to no representation anymore. Picture the subs being themed as The Little Mermaid, Star Tours as a magic carpet ride, or Star Tours as 3D adventure that features different themes like Lion King, Princess and the Frog, Tangled, etc. Buzz could be re-themed as Wreck it Ralph and maintaining the shooting/video game feel. The People Mover tracks could be turned into a walk through attraction of some sort too.

I know it’ll NEVER happen but fun to think of different possibilities!

Like others, I would not want to see Space Mountain go. Besides that, they could tear down the rest of Tomorrowland and I wouldn't mind. And I say this as someone whose favorite ride was Star Tours for many years. I'm just ready for something new in that part of the park!

I actually don't want the entire land themed after space. Space hasn't been the future for decades now. One ride (Space Mountain) is fine, but otherwise I would like to see a new vision of the future - one that occurs on this planet. Renewable energy, new transportation or communication technologies, some sort of coding/programming station that kids can play around with, etc. With Star Wars land covering the space theme, I'm really ready for something different in Tomorrowland. When it comes to transportation technology, and renewable energy for that matter, they could do lots of exciting things with Autopia and the PeopleMover tracks.

The hardest part in this (as far as speculation goes) is that what we love and want to keep will not resonate at all with what will happen, and not only because we don't work for Disney. If there is an overhaul it will be designed to please the next generation of DL fans. We're all already hooked, and it would take a lot for us current Disney park fans to throw up our hands and walk away. So while WE may have loved things like PeopleMover and Country Bear Jamboree, there comes a point when things progress (or become unsafe in the case of PM) and we move on without them.

I don't think they actually need to demolish it. There's no doubt that the tomorrowland in DL is outdated, but we are definitely far away from certain technology, like the ones used in the futuristic marvel movies (ex: wakanda architecture)

If I were king for a day... which I’m not... and most of this can’t/won’t happen.

- Space Mountain (keep as is)
- People mover (bring back)
- Carousel of Progress (bring back & enhance)
- Astro Orbiter revised and rebuilt - possibly a double (like Dumbo in WDW), definitely resized to be more adult friendly. You might have to move it to the other end of TL, requiring a reimagined loading area for the People Mover.
- Some sort of a theater show (not Stitch or Honey I shrunk the Kids, but a 4d kid friendly show along those lines)
- A dark ride along the lines of Spaceship Earth (not in a geodesic sphere... but a ride that moves into the reaches of science, exploration, and technology: space, caving, underwater, microscopic, etc.) (Star Tours building?)
- Replace Autopia and Nemo with a thrill ride (Tron, Mission Space, something fresh/new?)
- Dr. Strange and Time Travel (Maybe this is the theater show?) Imagine an entertaining history of technology and invention.
- Wall-e dark ride (in the Buzz space) (Sorry WonkaKid.)

In reality, I think that PeopleMover and Carousel of Progress are never coming back. If so, TL should be barricaded from the hub to the PeopleMover tower so that the ST & BL show buildings can be modified enough to remove the PeopleMover tracks. Once those buildings are rebuilt and relaunched with new rides, the COP building should be refurbed with something in it. If Nemo and Autopia were to stay, then Autopia needs to be future-fied (hover cars, anyone?).

Last edited:
It'll never get completely taken out. It's still THE place people always go...usually first.

Space Mountain is going NO WHERE. Period.

The Subs are a great kid pleaser and a hat tip to the highest grossing Pixar film.

Buzz Lightyear is still way too popular with young boys to take out. It could use a refresh, though.

Star Tours: who knows. It's still an awesome ride with 45 minutes lines. Why they'd take it out just because they have GE on the other side of the park is a reason I can't ever agree with. It's as "Tomorrow" as you can get.

The Captain Eo theater could use a new film, for sure. Maybe Avengers tech or even SpaceX stuff.

Astro Orbiter is great for little kids. It's the spacey Dumbo. There's nothing you could possibly replace it with that would fit that size. I've been on it twice in dozens of days in the parks, so it's not a fave. But people ride it...and again, you can't take it out and replace it with something with the same footprint. Unless it's some type of 150 ft "Astro Re-Entry" drop-straight-down ride, it aint gonna fit.

I'll certainly miss the Star Wars Jedi show. I have no idea what would fit there...other than more tables for the counter service.

Honestly, they'd be dumb to touch it at this point. After pouring in money to GE, and soon to be expanding Avenger Land at DCA, a Tomorrowland re-do has to be years and years away.
That’s a good idea. I miss the drop & bounce ride that was in DCA. It’s be better than a duplicate dumbo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!