Scolded by disney

I think I got everything straightened out with expedia. Got a helpful woman on the phone, who spoke with disney and made sure our corrections were made, then she had disney fax her the info they had on us, and she in turn faxed that to me. So now I have in my possession paperwork from Disney with all our correct info on it, and that has put my mind at ease. Expedia charged me for my friends trip insurance, but she just paid me for it. Is it true that Disney wants to know your middle initial for security reasons, but it doesn't show up on the ressie? Thanks, Eileen

The thing to remember is when you are making a reservation through a travel agent or a wholesaler you are buying the service from them. They in turn make a reservation with Disney.

You are not buying a product from Disney, you are buying the service of the travel agent or wholesaler. that's why you have to deal with them and not Disney when you use them.

Disney also has to be careful of the relationship they have with travel agents and wholesalers. If they change something that may affect how much comission or profit the TA's or WHLSRS make. One hand washes the other. They send business to Disney, Disney doesn't do anything to effect their money.

I think crushonjessica just hit the nail on the head. DCL pays a commision to expedia or any travel agency. Part of the deal is THAT agency will provide the customer service. If DCL has to provide the customer service then why should they pay a commision at all?

If DCL has to provide the customer service then why should they pay a commision at all?

Maybe because the travel agent sold their product for them. That product cost thousands of dollars for the purchaser and if DCL doesn't provide support for their product when the customer has a problem, he may well just decide to buy someone elses product costing thousands of dollars next time.

I find it ironic that in this day, when the customer is always right, and companies are bending over backwards to be sure their customers are being taken care of, that Disney/DCL, of all companies would have this type of attitude. What is even more interesting is that you have people running to the defense of Disney/DCL.

When the economy is tight, and a company is having difficulty performing financially like Disney, the last thing you'd expect from a company like Disney, is to scrimp on CUSTOMER SERVICE.

Dean is right on.

You are not buying a product from Disney, you are buying the service of the travel agent or wholesaler.

BZZZZ, WRONG!

It is Disney buying the service of the travel agent or wholesaler by paying them a commission or giving them a discounted price FOR THE PRODUCT and hoping that they'll take care of all the customer issues. That is between the AGENT and Disney. If the agent is not servicing the customer properly, and the customer comes to them, then it is their obligation to help resolve the problem.

The product is the cruise. Make no mistake. You are trying to convince people that the product here is not the $5000 paid for the cruise, but the commission Disney is paying to the travel agent or wholesaler out of that total for making the sale? Guess again.

One hand washes the other. They send business to Disney, Disney doesn't do anything to effect their money.

Are you a travel agent, or just good friends with one?

Travel agents previously thought this way about the airlines and that they couldn't reduce commissions because they were so important in selling their product. Well guess what? When all the airlines decide to eliminate commissions, what does the travel agent do when the customer needs to fly? "I'm sorry, we don't make reservations for airlines."

The airlines have successfully taken virtually all commissions from the travel agents, and, if the cruise lines decided to do the same, what are the travel agents going to do - not sell cruises? You think less people are going to cruise because they can't buy a package from a travel agent? The only airlines (if there are any left) paying commissions to travel agents are the ones who need the help to sell tickets and are unable to wield enough power on their own and need the upper hand to have an additional sales force in the travel agents.

You see - again, it is the travel agent who works on behalf of the companies that pay commissions - or whoever is paying their fees. Read a few articles in the Wall St. Journal or SmartMoney magazine - you'll see very quickly whose interests most travel agents look out for.

Excuse me, but what do you have against travel agents? Aren't we allowed to make a living too? My clients keep coming back to me because I give them a better deal than if they went directly through the cruise line. I am always on the lookout for good deals and I pass that info on to my clients(now friends). I know what my clients like and dislike because I built a relationship with them. Does Disney know you personally? Travel agents make a whole lot less than what you think .The cruise lines don't pay on port taxes or governmental fees or taxes. Most of us do it because we have a passion for travel, we love to talk about it and share in the excitement of a client's upcoming trip. None of us are getting rich off it. We also get travel agent rates on cruises to encourage us to learn more about their line and what they have to offer. But the trips are not free. I don't get paid by the airlines but I do help my clients book their air if it is cheaper than what the cruiseline is offering. Does Disney help you with getting a rental car or research an amtrak schedule, arrange a surprise in your room if you are having a birthday, send you a menu ahead of time to get you excited about your trip? Have you ever received a personal thank you note from a cruiseline? finally, all you need to do is talk to anyone who traveled during Sept. 11 and was "stuck" and ask them if they were glad they had a travel agent to help them out. I'll get off my soapbox now.

ashking, as you may notice I said "you'll see very quickly whose interests MOST travel agents look out for". Glad you enjoy your job and helping others. Maybe you are one of the better agents. In all honesty, I really don't care what travel agents make nor do I believe that there's truly a necessity for them - but that's just me. Other people who need the hand holding and want the personal attention that a travel agent like yourself could give them are more than welcome it. You can make a living any way that you please - I just don't need nor would I pay for your services.

However, let's not lose sight of the fact of what the past few posts stated and the whole reason this thread was started - because the travel agent was not taking care of their customer properly, and Disney was shirking its ultimate responsibility to the customer. Just because Disney or other travel provider gives you a commission or other form of payment, does not relieve them of their obligation to the customer - because that is who is paying the fare in the end.

Does Disney help you with getting a rental car or research an amtrak schedule,

Is getting a rental car difficult? I don't ever recall a time in the past 20 years when it was more difficult than picking up the phone or browsing a couple of websites. Is it really that difficult to rent a car these days? Amtrak? Typing in www.amtrak.com is so difficult? I am sure that some people may need help with that kind of stuff, but, I assure you, the overwhelming majority of people who have the ability to post a message on this board, have more than what it takes to do these things on their own with a few mouse clicks.

arrange a surprise in your room if you are having a birthday, send you a menu ahead of time to get you excited about your trip?

All you have to do is tell them, ask, and speak to the right people - they will help arrange whatever you like. For our anniversary, our stateroom was all decorated before we even opened the door. We had an anniversary cake, singing, etc. the night before our anniversary in the main dining room and we had an intimate dinner at Palo the night of our anniversary with another cake. I arranged EVERYTHING before we even left home (yes, that includes reservations at Palo before even boarding the ship). A menu ahead of time? How many DCL websites are there that post Navigators, menus, and everything else? Most information "to get you excited about your trip" (whether DCL or other) is available online. Maybe 10 years ago you had an information advantage, but today, no way.

And, yes, Disney does send us thank you letters and even gifts for cruising with them.

FYI SlyHubby, Renaissance Cruise Line tried to take Travel Agents out of the picture a few years ago by not paying commision.

First their sales trickled off, then their ships were half full, then they decided to pay commisions again but it was too late. They went under a year or so later leaving their passengers stranded all over the world.

yes, I remember that nuke. that is what the airlines learned when they did it - all of the majors did it and stuck by it. if things in the travel business got bad enough, and all of the cruise lines cut commissions and stuck to it, it would be a very different story.

I stand corrected. I thought this forum was a place to share ideas, ask questions, and find a place where there are other people who love A Disney cruise as much as they do. I go to the board not as a travel agent, but as a Disney fan(ready to take our 4th Disney cruise.) I didn't join this forum to hear how worthless my profession is. I'm really sorry I logged on.

1st off people - Do not trash a profession that you have never worked in.

I am a CPA. You can say almost the same things about CPAs doing taxes as TA arranging travel. Anyone can do thier own taxes. You would not belive the people that pay $50 a pop for a 1040EZ. (That is HR Block rates not mine). It is a service that people want and the CPA provides tax prep and the TA provides travel assistance.

Second, ashking, I believe that point of most of the responses was that people should choose thier TAs with care. Like all things in life, there are good ones and bad ones. Even within the same travel agency. My first contact at AAA was wonderful, she went out of her way to look for deals and to find what I wanted. Well alas she got married and moved to Texas. Her replacement was worthless, she only did what was easy for her. I had to actually show up at the office when she made ressies for me to make sure she asked Disney about the special I already knew existed. Now I deal with a new agency, dreams. Again I get the personalized service I need, without spending tons of time doing research.

One thing that is VERY IMPORTANT to remember here is that reservations are "OWNED" by different people.

If you book with a Travel Agent, your reservation is "owned" by the travel agent (including DVC).

If you book with Disney directly, your reservation is "owned" by you.

A travel agent cannot get information about a cruise that you "own" just as you cannot get information about a cruise that a travel agent "owns."

This is a contract between Disney and the owner of the reservation, whether it is an individual or a travel agent. If the contract is broken there can be legal ramafications. That is why Disney will not talk to the individual if the reservation is booked through a travel agent. Without WRITTEN authorization Disney will not discuss the reservation with anyone other than the owner of the reservation. (for example a guest wants to transfer their reservation over to a TA, it has to be in writing FIRST before Disney will talk to the TA about it.)

I think it is terrible that this turned into a "travel agents are bad" thread. It should have focused instead on why Disney wouldn't talk to the original poster about their reservation.

Yes you do have to be careful about the Travel Agency that you choose. For this very reason you should be sure that you are getting an agency that you are comfortable with.

Sue Ellen

once you have paid for your cruise in full, why isn't the reservation then "owned" by you?

The issue is who you book with originally. Whether you pay in full at time of booking or 60 days prior has no bearing on who you chose to arrange and book your cruise with.

I have used Dreams Unlimited travel, DVC Member Services and Disney Cruise Line directly to book my 5 Disney cruises with. Although I have been pleased with all of them, I found Dreams to be the most convenient for my cash cruise. The response has always been quick, and the included service of automatically lowering the fare if DCL offers special pricing can't be beat..

Originally posted by ez
once you have paid for your cruise in full, why isn't the reservation then "owned" by you?

Most places that deal with a wholesaler don't get their money until the stay is over. So you may have paid for it, but in this case DCL wasn't until after you cruise.

As far as DCL is concerned it is still their reservation.

According to my credit card statement, the money went to disney cruise line.($1646 for 4 people in 2 category 11 rooms,2 people per room) A $15.00 processing fee, billed separately, went to expedia. The travel insurance($25.00 per person thru expedia) was also billed separately to expedia. Also, the copy of the reservation disney faxed expedia, and them onto me, says "paid in full"

This whole thread makes me leary of dealing with a travel agent, Expedia, travelocity, whatever. Anyone ever had a bad experience with Dreamssavers unlimited? I've booked a reservation throught them for The Best Western DTD at a great rate--$39 per night. However, I wonder, after reading all this if I should try to find such a deal on my own. I'd hate to get all the way there then find out there was some screw-up due to the agency.

The only thing I use TA for now days is for access to discounts and things I can't find out about on my own. I almost always know far more about what I want than they do and find myself having to make sure they do what I want and don't mess up anything. That's not their fault, it's just due to the overwhelming amount of info out there. For me they are just reservation makers and not guides or a fountain of knowledge. And I never even talk to them anymore about airlines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter