Scotland Meets Thread (formerly Scotland: A Brave Adventure)

We decided our second ABD will be Scotland! DD will be 15 late July so we were going to book that trip. I saw this caveat about the farewell dinner.

"Edinburgh Castle may be closed on some dates in late July and August due to performances of the Military Tattoo. In the event the castle is unavailable, the dinner will take place at the historic Signet Library, home to the prestigious Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet"​

Should we book an earlier trip?

Thanks!

We went in August which is when the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo takes place. Our farewell dinner was at the Signet library. As it happens, DH and I came in a few days early in order to see the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo in Edinburgh Castle and we purchased a VIP package which included dinner at the castle in the same room (Queen Anne's room) where ABD does their farewell dinner. Therefore, I have had both experiences. The Signet Library is by far a better experience! Mind you, I complained about the change before we went since we were not made aware there would be a change initially as we went the first year the Scotland trips was offered which was 2013. Here is my trip report and I believe there are pictures of both for you to compare and get an idea.
http://www.disboards.com/threads/our-scotland-brave-adventure.3150065

I would highly recommend going in August and seeing the Royal Military Edinburgh Tattoo if you can get in a couple of days earlier or stay a little later or time it that way.

http://www.edintattoo.co.uk

I think one of the families in our group were able to swing seeing the Tattoo during the evening on your own in Edniburgh though. I also recommend going when the farewell dinner will be at the Signet Library. Dinner at the castle sounds amazing. The reality was most underwhelming. I'd happily go back and see the RMET again and I would book VIP tix again but not for the castle dinner. I'd do it just for the seats. Hope this helps.

We decided our second ABD will be Scotland! DD will be 15 late July so we were going to book that trip. I saw this caveat about the farewell dinner.

"Edinburgh Castle may be closed on some dates in late July and August due to performances of the Military Tattoo. In the event the castle is unavailable, the dinner will take place at the historic Signet Library, home to the prestigious Society of Writers to Her Majesty's Signet"​

Should we book an earlier trip?

Thanks!
We went on the ABD in late August and were able to take advantage of both (see the Tattoo and dinner at the Castle). The trip starts in Edinburgh, and one of the first nights was a free night, so we got tickets to the Tattoo in advance (online) and were able to go. It was a great show. August is also the month when there are a ton of festivals going on in the city and it was so fun to see modern Edinburgh. The fridge festival was really cool, and would be especially fun for a teenager. The literary festival was interesting as well, since a lot of famous authors come. By the end of our ABD tour we were back in Edinburgh and the Tattoo was over and had the dinner at the castle. The dinner at the Castle was a cool idea, but it was our second visit there (the tour also goes there during the day), and I don't think I would change my dates over it. I would consider trying to go during the festival time to take advantage of those, though.

A Happy New Year to One and All. I hope you had a really good Christmas. I had just posted on my trip report about a break I had in Scotland a few months ago. I thought those who are planning to come to Scotland may be interested to have a small taste of Scotland and for those who have been 'haste ye back'.

Interlude: September Weekend in Scotland

Checking in for the July 21 - 28 2016 Trip. It will be me, DH, DD (turning 15 during trip) and DS12. originally I was going to try to stop in London ahead of time but LHR taxes are ridiculous! Now planning on a few days ahead in Edinburgh. Any advice on sights to see that won't duplicate the trip would be greatly appreciated!

Checking in for the July 21 - 28 2016 Trip. It will be me, DH, DD (turning 15 during trip) and DS12. originally I was going to try to stop in London ahead of time but LHR taxes are ridiculous! Now planning on a few days ahead in Edinburgh. Any advice on sights to see that won't duplicate the trip would be greatly appreciated!

I would say to take the time to hike Arthur's Seat. Get tickets to see and tour The Real Mary King's Close. Visit St. Giles Cathedral. You can check out my trip report from 2013 which includes stops and things we did that were not on the ABD itinerary. I hope this helps. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3150065

I can highly recommend the Hairy Coo tour, which takes you to some places not too far outside of Edinburgh that you won't see on the tour, like the Wallace Memorial, the Bridge over the Firth of Forth, Dounne Castle and Loch Katrine. Fun, fun tour! They pick up & drop off from a shop on the Royal Mile. Plus you get to see some Hairy Coos!!

http://www.thehairycoo.com/

I also recommend climbing to the top of the Scott Memorial. Almost 300 steps up an ever-shrinking spiral staircase, but the views are SO worth it!!

P1010556_zpsdd9ce0de.jpg

I also just recommend wandering around Edinburgh at twilight. It's a gorgeous city!

P1010444_zpsc200e1f9.jpg

Sayhello

Last edited:

Your children are similar ages to mine. My DD will turn 15 soon. I would also recommend walking up Arthur's seat. It is a very short walk from the Palace of Holyroodhouse and the Scottish Parliament. The views over Edinburgh are lovely.

DH and DS really enjoyed their visit to the Edinburgh Dungeon. This experience takes you through a 1000 years of Scotland's horrible history. The actors are really good although I think it is a bit gruesome in places.

You could always go to Edinburgh Zoo. If you would like to see the giant pandas, Tian Tian and Yang Guang, you are best booking a time slot in advance. There is also a Penguin Parade. Participation for the penguins is now voluntary so it varies how many choose to go for a walk.

If you have a few days before your tour starts I would take the opportunity to visit another part of Scotland. Sayhello has recommended the hairycoo tours. You can book a free tour. Heart of Scotland tours seem to get good reviews on Trip Advisor. They do a day tour to St Andrews and the Fishing Villages of Fife. Fife is a lovely area of Scotland.

It is also worth remembering that Glasgow (Scotland's largest city) is only an hour away by train.

Between 21st-23rd July 'Oliver' is playing at the Edinburgh Playhouse. It is a great musical.

That's good you will get a chance to tour the Palace of Holyroodhouse and Edinburgh Castle. I noticed in the itinerary it referred to Holyroodhouse as being the Queen of England's residence in Edinburgh. We would never refer to Her Majesty II as 'the Queen of England' as she is Queen of the United Kingdom. Scots can be a bit touchy about people calling the United Kingdom 'England'. Much in the same way as Canadians don't like being called American.

Hope you have a great trip!

My husband is devastated there is not any whisky activity on the itinerary. We will be in Edinburgh two days before the trip. Is there anything I can placate him with? In Edinburgh, close to Edinburgh or during any of our on your own time in Portree or Inverness?

My husband is devastated there is not any whisky activity on the itinerary. We will be in Edinburgh two days before the trip. Is there anything I can placate him with? In Edinburgh, close to Edinburgh or during any of our on your own time in Portree or Inverness?

We did the Scotland ABD in 2013, and there was a whisky tasting included for the adults during our time on the Isle of Skye. It was held at the hotel. Has that been eliminated from the itinerary?

We did the Scotland ABD in 2013, and there was a whisky tasting included for the adults during our time on the Isle of Skye. It was held at the hotel. Has that been eliminated from the itinerary?
It's in Inverness now, on Day 5.

Private Dinner and Entertainment at Bogbain Farm
Discover a Scottish farm that's unlike any other! Dine and enjoy some interesting surprises, and while you are there see traditional Ceilidh dancing, take part in whiskey tasting and there's even Highland-themed games for the Junior Adventurers.

That said, this also sounds kind of cool, for your pre-days in Edinburgh -

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/events/admirals-whisky-tasting/

Sayhello

Last edited:
It's in Inverness now, on Day 5.

That said, this also sounds kind of cool, for your pre-days in Edinburgh -

http://www.royalyachtbritannia.co.uk/events/admirals-whisky-tasting/

Sayhello

Thanks! I don't know how I missed that! He will be very happy! I like your idea sayhello. We could do something in Edinburgh to start the trip!

We booked the August 3 2016 and added 2 days to the end. Husband has been to Scotland twice, but I have never been. Just began reading trip reports and advice. So excited!

Hi how much was the Scotland trip per adult if you booked as soon as it came out? Over 5,000 now. Just curious for next time :)

Hi how much was the Scotland trip per adult if you booked as soon as it came out? Over 5,000 now. Just curious for next time :)
I was checking out the early discount for Italy 2017 when, because I like to torture myself, I looked at the Scotland price. Even the early discount dates were not under 5k.

DW, DD(9) and I are on the Aug 21 ABD Scotland trip. Anyone else here?

We just got tix to the Witchery Tour for the pre-night and am really hoping we have time to hike up to Arthur's Seat. Looks stunning.

Last edited:
Note to those going to Edinburgh ...... & to Arthurs Seat.

........ and if you do not feel like hiking to Arthurs Seat take

a trip into The Exhibition Of Life (? ) it is where the coach bus stops.

Do take a trip on the " Hop on Hop off " bus + take the earphones provided .. Channel 0 for English.

I liked Edinburgh even in the rain.

Another point .

To get a good view of the Castle ....... Go to the Scott Monument on Princes Street.......

Face the Castle .... Move LEFT ..... onto the Platform facing the Tourist Office .... The big Blue

Trapeze Ball will be Beside you . And

There is a HUGE Shopping Mall underneath your feet & the railway station.

By the Scott Monument there is a great garden and rest area.

Note Scotland is not cheap for food .

We did our own 14 day tour , ( Hired a car & did 1,000 Miles ) of Scotland 28th June to 12th July 2016

2 nights Edinburgh , 2 nights Dundee , 1 night Aberdeen, 4 nights near Inverness & The Isle of Skye , 2 nights near Glasgow

& last night near Edinburgh .

We are booked on the June 17, 2018 trip. My husband loves British Isles history, so this seems like the perfect trip to celebrate his 40th. Our almost 6 year old son is coming too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!