Scott's lame, boring running journal. CW

I ran the New Haven Road Race on Monday which was Labor Day. It is regarded as one of New England's better races and is actually the US 20K Championship. It was an early start and I had to register when I got down there. $50 for day of registration. Usually, I am in Dansville, NY for the New York State Festival of Balloons over Labor Day Weekend but I couldn't go this year. It has been on my list of races to do and the opportunity was finally there.

Anyway, I have to say that I wasn't impressed. The course was okay but the Tech shirt was kind of cheesy, there was no water to be found when I finished and the food was so so. I guess that I simply expected more after all the hype.

I passed the 10K mark at 59 and change but came in, in about 1:07 because I ate a gel at mile 9. The mile times went down after that. I just can't focus and run well when I have to go to the bathroom. I would rather waste 10 minutes in a bathroom and run 5 minutes quicker just for the better feeling of running as opposed to walking with cramps. My final time was about 2:07 which was in the 10:15 pace range.

My overall feeling for the whole thing is kind of, EEH. Whatever. I won't do the 20K again soon. Perhaps, I would do the 5K though. Better chance of water at the finish.

I procrastonated in signing up for the 5K during marathon weekend. I had to sign up for the half. $144 -ouch but there is no sense in telling the people who frequent this board that. Anyway, I am very excited to be heading back to marathin weekrnd!

My running streak ended at 403 days on New Year day in 2011. I am very proud of having done it but I didn't want to be a slave to it. Now that I have not run for two of the last three days and really am not looking forward to running today, I think I may have made a poor choice.

I am still debating attempting a PR at the half which is in 4 days. I think that a PR would put me in the top 20% of finishers but it's Disney and will be pretty crowded. Also, I am really not sure about my fitness and weight. I am a bit heavier than I would like and have not done a long run in about 3 weeks due to a knee issue. I have done some nice 6-7 mile tempo runs. Can I extend the tempo from 7 to 13 is the big question. I did a 6.55 mile tempo in about 58 minutes. Obviously doubling that would secure my PR. I guess that there will be many things that factor into a PR attempt and weather will be a big one. It looks like it will be cool.

Last year was a great year for my running with big PR's in the 5 and 10K's. Going into the Disney 1/2 which I only signed up for in late October, I was not sure if a PR was possible or not. All my training runs in November indicated that I was with tempo runs under goal time and long runs about a minute slower per mile than my goal pace. Disney is not a great place to PR hunt with the crowds being so big and possible warm weather but I decided that I would train well and see the weather when I got there. If it was too warm I'd forgo the PR attempt and just have a fun race.

The first weekend in December I went out for a long run on a cold day. There was one hill that was kind of long and tough so I walked most of it. Since it was an out and back course I came back to this hill on the way home. It wasn't like I killed it on the hill but I went hard enough to irritate my left knee. There were about 4 miles to go and started to walk a bit. As I walked, my body cooled down and it was tough to get going again. When I did the knee acted up so there was more walking. I got to the point where it was really cold and I was nervous about it. With the knee hurting, I called my wife to come and pick me up. She arrived when I had about a mile and a half to go. After that my training tailed off. In the month before the race, I didn't run more than 7 miles but there were some really good tempo runs and some mile repeat days.

With my overall fitness and training I really thought that I was in pretty good shape. The problem has always been my stomach and GI issues. Most of my long runs were done without water so that I could get used to that. Over the last few weeks I added water with success. I was hoping that I could do this race and actually take in some water. I did in the race and I don't think that it negatively affected me.

I went through 10K at exactly 1:02.00 which is 10:00 minute pace. I knew what I had known since mile 2, that it was not a PR day. There were too many people and my legs were sluggish. About a mile later I was looking for a potty. After a 5 minute stop, the cramps were still there. After jog/walking the next two miles and another stop, I felt better. By then though, I was out of rhythm and my body had cooled. I just couldn't get it going again. Mile 7 to 9.5 must have taken about 45 minutes. It was frustrating but there was nothing I could do to improve the situation. The last three miles kind of sucked because my legs were getting tired and I really had to pee. I stopped two times to pee but nothing came out and there was a pretty intense burning sensation. Still the urge was there. I finished the race disappointed and without any satisfaction.

The minute I got my checked bag, I found my wife and walked immediately to the bus back to the resort. There is another story here but I don't have time. Outside the bus, I started my full body cramping which is normal for me when I don't hydrate. Before the race I saw a study that said how much sodium is in particular products. Chicken noodle soup was on the top of the list. Boy did that sound like a good idea so I put one in the bag. As soon as the cramping started I popped open the can and downed it with two bottles of water. The cramping subsided on the bus and thankfully only lasted about 15 minutes.

I had to take a boat from the Wilderness Lodge to Fort Wilderness. A man on the boat made the comment that I looked like I could do another 1/2. I said that since I walked more than I wanted to, I probably could. After I recovered for an hour or so, I really did feel great. My hips and knees were a little annoyed on Sunday but that was the bulk of the issues.

My future in races longer than the 10K is still up in the air. I would love to do more but I am about achieving goals that I set. Having to stop and poop in the middle of all my races just doesn't allow for that. The physical pain of having to go and not being able to run those portions of the races simply makes me not want to run them.

Hey Scott, I just spent the last 2.5 hours reading through your running journal and I must say, wow. You are truly an inspirational kind of guy. You sound like a great person, a great father, and an overall fun person to know/be around. I am certain you have given your son a great role model to look up to for the rest of his life! Congratulations on your success in the running world, and I hope you have many more wonderful runs in the future! I hope to be out there running the Marathon next year!

Scott. I read through your journal last night. Your story is really impressive and touching. Your sense of humor and your pics made for a really enjoyable read. It was so cool to see that you got a chance to meet the Hoyts. I hope you have many more enjoyable runs.

Hey Scott, I just spent the last 2.5 hours reading through your running journal and I must say, wow. You are truly an inspirational kind of guy. You sound like a great person, a great father, and an overall fun person to know/be around. I am certain you have given your son a great role model to look up to for the rest of his life! Congratulations on your success in the running world, and I hope you have many more wonderful runs in the future! I hope to be out there running the Marathon next year!

Scott. I read through your journal last night. Your story is really impressive and touching. Your sense of humor and your pics made for a really enjoyable read. It was so cool to see that you got a chance to meet the Hoyts. I hope you have many more enjoyable runs.

Thanks guys. I actually forget that people read this on occation. I would say that I try to be as honest as I can and that usually results in some good humor. Life is funny. Take care.

This is just going to be an adendum to the Disney 1/2 Marathon post above. There were some mildly interesting things that I observed and would like to mention because when I am 95 years old , sitting alone at night, I am going to need lots of stuff to occupy my time.

Getting from Fort Wilderness Campground to the start was pretty much a nightmare. We heard different things about how the transportation was going to work. The person that I talked to who sounded the most sure was wrong. He said that there would be transportation throughout the campground that would pick us up at the bus stops. That was not the case. We had to get to either end of the campground to meet the main bus that would take us to The Wilderness Lodge where we would meet a second bus that would take us to the race. I was waiting at the bus stop at 3:15 and didn't get to the race until almost 5. There were three of us waiting at the bus stop and thankfully a random guy on a golf cart stopped by and gave us a ride to the first bus.

My wife was able to get up later and drive to the Contemporary where she took the monorail to MK and later the finish to see me there. After the race I was a bit annoyed so we went right to the but for the contemporary which was also going to the Wilderness Lodge. It was a shorter walk than going to the monorail which would have also gotten us there. When we arrived at the Wilderness Lodge the bus driver informed us that he was not going to the contemporary and was going back to the race. There were three young (and quite hot) ladies in their 20's that were also going to the Contemporary who were intent on having the bus finish the trip. The dad of two of the girls said that his money was on them to get their way. The arguing didn't work and this prick wouldn't budge. Our only option was to go catch a boat from The Lodge Boat Dock to the Contemporary Boat Dock. Unfortuantely the boat was going to the campground first. My wife and I decided that she would get off at the campground to go be with the baby (8 months)and I would go back and get the car, which I did. It wasn't horrible but the whole thing did ruin breakfast. We had an ADR at Ohana for about 9:30 and since slow poke was lollygagging? we had to change it. While I was running, my wife went and asked if we could push it back. The nice hostess told us that she was there all morning and it wouldn't be a problem. By the time I fought traffic I got back to the cabin at about 11am. I will say though that we got an ADR for the next morning which allowed us to make rope drop at EPCOT the next day. I actually look back a bit fondly on that two hour trip to ge about 4 miles from EPCOT to our cabin. By the way, the two girls father bore a striking resemblence to John McCain. I felt wierd looking at him. Kind of talked like him too.

About a quarter mile into the race there was a woman running with her kid. The kid was a little skinny thing probably about 12 years old. He never said a word that I saw. Anyway, there are 20,000 people running all at about the same pace and it would be difficult to actually run faster if you wanted. The mom yells out to the kid that, "we have to get going! These people are moving too slowly". Out to the grass and up ahead they went. I just thought it was funny because there are hundreds of people in ear shot and she said it like there was nobody around. Anyway, guess who I passed at mile 5. Disney is not the place to run fast if you are not in the first 500 people to cross the line.

I may have mentioned that I passed Al Roker at mile 2 or so. That was kind of cool, especially since we both had the same surgery.

I will edit this if I think of more later.

This was the third time that I have signed up in the lottery for the Mt.Washington Road Race. The last two times I put in it was $40. This year thanks to new management, it was $80. At least I got in. Actually, as long as I kept signing up getting in was out of my hands and not getting in was fine with me. I have to say that when I got the email about getting in, I had a few hours of panic. The logistics for this race are a bit more detailed than most races. You have to pair up with two other people if you want to drive to the top and see the finish. I am a bit of an introvert and that to me is horror. It is a few weeks later and that doesn't sound so bad now as I think there are many more people needing rides down than are people going up. I think that even the day of, I could find two very easily.

The race itsself is 7.6 miles with an average of an 11.5% grade. I guess that its pretty steady which is nice for treadmill training. The longest steep hill I can find around here is .375 miles and is 12.2%. I would really like something longer but I'd have to travel for that. 3 repeats will be a mile but I don't know how helpful the downhill "rest" will be. My apprehension is less than it was because I still have 12 weeks to train and that will be about 30-36 hill training sessions along with long runs and tempo runs. Anyway, I'll let you know how training is going.

I always get pretty giddy around big events that I am a part of. It is kind of dorky for a 35 year old man but Boston Marathon Weekend is one of the events I get giddy about. I have been a few times now and this year I was fortunate enough to be able to run the 5K.

When my wife asked what to expect in regard to time I had no clue. The week before I ran a sub 24 minute 3 mile race and I did not think that a similar time would be possible due to the crowd but I was also not expecting to run the slowest 5K of my life. There were not any corrals or time expectation markers for the 5000 registered runners. I guess that I lined up too far back when I put myself in the middle of the pack. Luckily, I really didn't care about the time and brought my camera to snap off a few pics. I guess that is a good indicator of seriousness. If you carry a camera, how concerned could you have been about being fast.

Anyway, the day started off pretty cold and lickily the rain had stopped as we took the D train to the start. My wife and two sons would have to find a place to hide as we raced. Not having a watch kind of made me uneasy because I am used to knowing where I stand time wise and when we started, I didn't even look at the clock. I was too excited to remember too. There is not too much to tell about the whole thing. It was very crowded and I did get a kick out of the people who kept weaving to improve their place. They were jumping planters, running into traffic and simple cutting corners.

Overall, the race was really cool. I don't think that I stopped smiling the whole time. Running a 5K with 5000 people was not so cool. I kind of like my 100-300 people local races. My finishing time was 28 and change so it took around a minute and a half to cross the start line. The post race refreshments were fine and typical. There was a medal the race shirt is really cool. I would definitely do it again but it is not an annual must do.

Here is a video of the last 1/4 mile or so. The guy with the high squeaky voice must be running next to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brcvxEnGT_s

At the start:
April11-BostonWeekend067.jpg

About a half mile in:
April11-BostonWeekend072.jpg

Somewhere:
April11-BostonWeekend076.jpg

A few minutes after the finish:
April11-BostonWeekend080.jpg

Near the harbor:
April11-BostonWeekend108.jpg

Taken from the really cool childrens museum:
April11-BostonWeekend096.jpg

Less than a month to go for Mt. Washington and the training is going okay. I don't have much of not finishing. Now it's just about 2+ hours of misery and pulling my big butt up the hill.

I have had an issue lately though. Two days ago I came down with a bout of gout in my left big toe. I had no clue that it was such a debilitating thing. One stupid toe has taken me out of action. I probably should have not gone to work the last two days with all the gimping around I am doing. Hopefully the anti-inflamitories will really start helping here on day two of taking them.

My best treadmill effort has been 4.75 miles @ 12% in about 90 minutes. I just can't seem to running on the TM at that grade. I can do it on outside hills though. Hopefully the race itself will push me a bit more and improve on what I think will be a finish time of about 2:30. I am not calling it a goal just a guess. The goal is 2:15. It is kind of funny to make goals when I truely have no clue what the time will be.

I don't think that I have mentioned my bout with gout. It had me on the shelf for about 10 days one month from Mt.Washington. After it got good enough to run I was set back a bit. I would say that for the race I will be where I was a month out from the race. That will take me too the start under trained but hopefully I will just get to the start. Any time goals that I was setting for myself are out the window. Whatever. DLF>>DNS!

It is no secret that I was nervous about this race. I have done two Goofy Challanges and completed them both and I have had a 404 day running streak which was tough but neither made me as up tight as the race up Mt. Washington did. I realized that after two and a half hours of running up the mountain, my fears and worries were warranted. This is not a race to take lightly and thank goodness that the weather cooperated because I was not prepared if it didn't.

In the weeks leading up to the race, I was hampered by some injuries. The big one was gout in my left big toe. I also was dealing with a tight left hamstring that would twinge on occation. By race time both felt alright and I didn't figure that either would factor in the race. What I didn't figure on factoring in the race was the big puddle that I stepped in about 10 minutes before the cannon fired.

One odd thing about this race is the fact that you have to arrange for a ride down from the top of the mountain after you finish. Luckily, my wife was going and she would be my ride, however, we would need tabs from two other runners that we would be bringing down after the race. This was tough for me as I am an introvert. I like to go to a race, hang by myself, perhaps chat quickly with those around me but to arrange to bring people down is just beyond my comfort zone. I posted on line about having two spots avalible and by the next morning we had two text messages and two riders. That made some apprehension disappear.

As we were on our way one of our people texted that they had a ride from someone else and didn't need ours. Whatever, but now we needed someone else and were an hour from the packet pick up. As I was there looking up my bib number at the race site, I turned around to see Bruce. Bruce is one of my local running buddies. We run many of the same races and usually we are at a similar pace and because of that, we talk a lot as we run. As luck would have it he needed a ride because his wife was sick and could not make the trip. How odd to drive 4.5 hours to a race and see someone from home who arrived at the same exact time. Problem solved.

The race started at 9am. All cars had to go up the mountain by 8:30am. At about 8am, my wife and two kids headed up the hill and she could do her own report about the drive up. It's not for the faint of heart. Bruce and I sat around waiting for the start and because it was raining pretty hard we really didn't leave the dryness of the tent. At about 8:45 we went to get in the line for the porto potty. It was long so we headed for the woods. That was where I stepped in the puddle and even though I attempted to pull my foot out quickly, it was too late. My left foot was pretty much soaked.

The start is actually on a down hill. It is down hill for about 100 yards and then it,s flat for about .2 of a mile before it starts climbing. I would say that I ran probably half a mile before taking my first walk break. This race is mostly mental but obviously you need some good cardio. In order of importance I would say 1. mental toughness 2. Cardio and 3. leg strength and I would add a fourth of core strength.

The actual meat of this race report is kind of lame. It is a 7.6 mile race at 12% grade that raises over 4500 feet from base to summit. For me, it was horrible. I would have rather spent 2.5 hours in child support court (which is about the worst thing I can think of). At about a half mile into the race my heart rate was pegged at about 175-180. The grade never gets easy and every time I turned a corner it was the same or worse. The mental part was hard. I can honestly say that one major reason that I finished was that if I didn't finish then I would have to go back some time and do it again and I had no intention of ever doing that horrible race again. (Sarcasm alert) - You know what was great though was when I got to about the three mile mark and the DJ pointed up to an area about 1500 feet above us just to let us know that we only had about two miles until we were there. After that just 2.5 to go! Whooo!!! One guy said that we were just a corner from half way which actually did energize me a bit. About ten minutes later I passed the half way sign and was kind of pissed that the guy lied a bit. He looked so credible and said that he had done the race before.

As is usually the case when I do a race longer than an hour, I had stomach issues. Around mile 4.5 I knew that the trees were going to become scarce and seeing no porto potties, I hit the woods. After 5-6 minutes, I emerged a new man. Literally across the road was a rest area with a potty kind of hidden in the back corner. I didn't see it until I was about 1000 feet above it. The worst part of the race was probably a spot called Mother-in-law's drop. It was a long stretch of road that you can see probably 3/4 of a mile. You can actually see that the grade for the entire length never lessens. Again, you just have to stay mentally tough knowing that it will never get easier until you hit the finish line. That is when the pain will stop and the only time the pain will stop.

By mile 6 my wet left foot was starting to blister. I could feel a hot spot forming right on the ball of my foot. It hurt but really didn't factor into the race. That was also about the time that I started encountering runners who had finished and were now running down the hill. It actually didn't annoy me nearly as much as it does in regular races. I asked two guys how long until mile 7 and with my dry throat, they had no idea what I said and responded with plesantries. I passed the mile 7 marker about 200 yards later. The sight of their medals was another help to make it to the finish.

When I was finally about 100 yards from the finish, I muttered something like, "you have to be f-ing kidding me". What lay ahead of me was was a wall of 22%. I knew it was comming and had seen pictures and utube videos but standing there in front of it was another thing. Along with the wall were a few hundred people and at least 3 of them were cheering which was nice. The rest of them were waiting for the officials to open the road to head down.

Anyway, I beat that 22% wall on dead legs and I beat the mountain. I crossed the finish at about 2:35 which was 5 minutes slower than my best guess. Here is the funny thing about this race though; I think that if I trained as well as I could and was in great shape, I may have finished 10 minutes quicker but I don't think I could have done much better. At the finish line were my wife and kids and Bruce and Andy. That made me feel really good. We got a fleece throw to keep warm and I got my medal. After taking some pictures and loading up the car, we headed back down the hill with me driving. My legs cramped up pretty badly and had to swich drivers with about two miles to go.

Here are some other tidbits:

-The post race meal was a full Thanksgiving meal with the turkey carved right on the spot.
-I probably stopped 10 times in the last two miles just to catch my breath.
-I walked most of the race. When I would run, it took so long to catch my breath after that it wasn't worth the effort.
-The temp at the top was about 45degrees. The start was probably 60.
-The next day we went back up. the base was 70 degrees. The summit was 29 with 70mph winds. That was why I was not prepared if the weather did not cooperate.
-I will NEVER do this race again.
-If I ever do this race again I will have to be 30 pounds lighter. From 260 to 230.
-My wife will never drive the mountain again.
-I didn't exactly tell her about the 1000' dropoffs.
-I was very confident that she would be fine.
-I fought a descison of wether or not to bring my camera during the run.
-There was a good chance that if I did bring my camera it would have gotten thrown over a cliff.

June2011BaseballMtWashington073.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington091.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington089.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington058.jpg

June2011051.jpg

Mtwashingtonstart2011.jpg

June2011044.jpg

June2011045.jpg

June2011048.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington100.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington085.jpg

June2011BaseballMtWashington098.jpg

This years marathon weekend was kind of odd. We really were not financially ready for a family trip but I had made a commitment that I would meet some friends from a weight loss surgery forum down there and I was kind of one of the stronger opinions that we should do a Disney meet up instead of another race. I figured that I really kind of had to go. Instead of a week long trip I (with a blessing from my wife) decided to make a weekend if it and go wing it.
To be honest I was really excited to go alone. It has always been a dream to go hump around MK at my own pace (fast). There was a large amount of guilt to go along with my excitement. Who leaves the family home and goes to Disney for the weekend? This was kind of an exception and I sort of looked at it as a business trip.
I flew down on Friday morning got my car rental and headed over to check in. I was staying at All Star Music because I found a $70 rate on-line before the trip. I skipped the Expo because I didn't want to torture myself.
What I haven't mentioned yet was that I went with the intention of running but I wasn't registered. By the time I decided that I was definitely going they were sold out (at least that's my story.) One of the biggest problems was that I was not in really good shape. I was good for an okay 5k time but not much more. In a story that I will put in my next post I will tell you why I was 15 lbs heavier than I should have been and my running was suffering.
Anyway, Friday afternoon we had deciced that we would meet up at Downtown Disney for an early dinner. That made me nervous because of my introverted nature. I feel akward meeting people but I find that I usually pull it off pretty well and I am always happy that I followed through. We met at the T-Rex resturant and it was really great meeting up with everyone. After dinner, I offered to drive two of my new buddies to back to All Star Movies. We hung around Downtown Disney for a while and I drove them back. The meet up was great!
Saturday morning I meet again with Bill who gave me a bib that belonged to his wife. She was injured and wasn't using it. I knew that I wasn't running the whole race but I might jump in if I saw someone I knew. I listened to the start from the first staging area. After the race started I took the monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center. I watched there for a while when I saw my Connecticut buddy, Bruce run by. He goes every year and is "Perfectly Goofy". Well by the time I jumped in, I was maybe 50 feet back of him and the pace was pretty quick - maybe 8:30 miles. That was also where the road narrows in front of the Contemporary so I really had a hard time making up the space. Finally I caught him and called his name but he didn't answer. Same thing happened again and I got right to the side of him only to see that it wasn't him. From the back it looked like him and he even ran just like him. By now I was almost at the enterance to Magic Kingdom so I decided to run through there. I exited the course by the Grand Floridian. Here is the funny part. I had to run back to the TTC which ended up being a couple miles. I was beat when I got back to the monorail. I went back to EPCOT and watched the finish (or ran the finish - don't really remember.)
From the finish of the 1/2, I went back to MK to hump it around there for a couple hours. It was great being one of the first people there. The race to Space Mountain was a race in itsself.
I went back to MK after an afternoon break because my plan for Sunday didn't involve me getting up at 3am!
To be continued...

The reason that I decided to stay at an all star resort was cost but the location was perfect to spectate. About 1/4 mile from the resort enterance is the mile 19 overpass. I knew that that was where I wanted to watch the race but my initail plan was to run in a member of my message board to pace him in hopes of him setting a marathon PR. That didnt happen because I was really out of shape and fat and quite honestly, I didn't think that I could keep up with his pace (projected at about 8:30 miles). At my average fitness level it wouldn't be a problem. I kind of felt bad about backing out but as luck would have it, his race blew up anyway.

Since I was not going to run, my new plan was to spectate until 11am and then head over to Daytona to watch the Giants play Atlanta with my dad who lives there. By the time I left I had only seen 1 of the 4 people I was looking for. I ran for about 1/2 mile with my hometown race buddy, Bruce. He knew I was going but with so many people it's always a surprise to see someone you know unless you plan to meet ahead of time. I'd like to think that I lifted his spirits and gave him something to think about for a few miles.

I did leave at 11 and come to find out my people hadn't gone by yet. Anyway, I had a quick stop at Downtown Disney to exchange a tree skirt that I bought Friday night. Every year I go down I say that I was going to buy one but it never happened. This time my mother gave us a gift card for the exact amount of the tree skirt so I pulled the trigger. After thinking about it I decided that I wanted another one.

I arrived in Daytona just in time for the start of the game where the Giants Kicked the crap out of Atlanta.

After a great dinner and a good night sleep, I hopped a plane back to CT. I was home by noon.

Overall, I really had a good time but there were some odd things about going alone. When you get back to the room and there is nobody to talk too it is wierd. Ahead of time I thought it would be awesome but it wasn't. It was relaxing though. Hauling *** around the park was cool but riding the rides alone was so-so also. I doubt that I would go alone any time soon.

I also wish that I was in better shape so that I could have run the half and then run in my buddy. I still feel bad that my out of shapeness made me back out of that. Once I make a commitment, I really try to follow through. That is why I am cautious not to make many commitments! :)

This was taken as I was waiting to board the ferry after the 1/2. It was early enough that I was the only one on the ferry.
Winter20112012085-1.jpg

My buddy Bruce
Winter20112012140.jpg

There goes Bruce
Winter20112012142.jpg

One of the pace groups
Winter20112012139.jpg

Winter20112012129.jpg

Again - it pays to be early!
Winter20112012099.jpg

My awful year of running has gotten worse. A few weeks ago I had a bout with a kidney stone. Brutal!!! In the last three weeks I have run two times for a total of 2.5 miles. Those two runs were in D.C. while we were there for a 5 day vacation. I have my stent out tomorrow and I am really looking forward to getting back to normal. There is a mile race next week that I am looking forward to. My best time in this race is 6:33 (twice) and I think that if I could go sub 8 without running the last 3 weeks and not running well anyway, I'd be satisfied.

I'm sorry to hear about your setbacks. I hope you feel better soon and can back to your normal routine. Good luck on your race!

Hi Scott -

just read through the entire thread -- congratulations on how far you have come! I hope you are feeling better soon, and I hope you continue your racing adventures!

Sunny

Thanks guys for the encouragment. I appreciate it.

The running has not gotten much better except that in the last week I have run my 2.3 mile route 3 times and have gotten faster each time. Hopefully timming the run will keep me at it.

My wife just had out third kid on Sept 30 and it has been tough to get out the door. I feel bad leaving her knowing that the two year old will more than likely wake up when I am gone. To her credit, she has said to go run. I need to lose about 30 lbs to compete with the times that I expect of myself. It's time to get it together and perhaps be a bit selfish, which again, she agrees with.

I hope you are feeling better! That sounds awful!

When you have a baby getting out can be hard, but can do wonders! Is your partner able to get out a bit too for her sake soon? Babe is still pretty little, I know.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!