Scott's lame, boring running journal. CW

After three years, I went to my WLS office today and weighed in at 293. I was really hoping that my home scale was off knowing that it wasn't. I really like Debbie who gave me some tough love. It was nice to get in there and get some new info and some motivation to get back on track. I will have an endoscopy next week to make sure that the pouch has not been damaged or stretched but I know that it is fine. Most of my issues are what I put in my mouth, usually for emotional reasons and usually it is carb related.

She also set me a goal of running a marathon next June. Lastly, she said that she wants substancial weight loss at out 6 week appointment in January. I think that this is exactly what I need. - a goal - a deadline and someone to feel accountable too!

I just committed to a high school buddy that I would run the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. in late October. It took a good three days to answer but I think I made the correct one. Here are some reasons:

- I have completed 4 marathons and in my wacky head that number just doesn't work. I would be satisfied with a 5 sitting there.
- I do have to drop about 30 pounds (40) and knowing that marathon training can lead to weight gain going in will help me lose some of that weight.
- I love D.C.
- Now that I have committed my buddy, I kind of have to follow through.
- It's far enough away that I can sencibily train and gradually ease into it.

BTW, I weighed in two days ago at 284. Good but not great. I have another 6 week apointment in Feb to weigh in.

I skipped the Feb Aptmt because the weight wasn't coming off. I did get into the MCM but I really don't know about it. I am not even in 5k shape right now, much less getting into marathon shape (even 1/2 shape and faking the second half).

I skipped the Feb Aptmt because the weight wasn't coming off. I did get into the MCM but I really don't know about it. I am not even in 5k shape right now, much less getting into marathon shape (even 1/2 shape and faking the second half).

I read the entire journal - you know what it takes to get where you want to be because you have overcome these same obstacles before. You are strong enough mentally. You need to decide that you are willing to put in the work to get there.

IMO, you are making the mistake of setting goals that are too aggressive, and too far in the future. Instead, set smaller goals in the near future. For example, set a goal to run a 5k in 10 weeks, then train for it. Then set a goal to run a 10k 10 weeks thereafter - no breaks in between - and train for that. Then work towards a half marathon 15-20 weeks thereafter. Then you will be ready to take on the challenge of a marathon if you wish. You will be ready physically and mentally.

Good luck!

Ran my first race in almost a year the other day. I am still having a hard time wrapping my head around the whole thing. I have a treadmill so I have done a little (very little) running. The simple fact is that I have a job with tough hours and two small kids. For the next couple years I have to maintain what small amount of fitness I have. At 295 lbs I can't worry about time. For a few more years it is what it is. I did sign up for this race under an assumed name which I think it something I will continue. 38:09 BTW.

I have not been running a lot but I did run a one mile race in June. 9:08 which made me pretty happy. Even though it was 2.5 minutes slower than the same race a couple years ago, I trained with the kids (12 and 4). The 12 year went into football in great shape and it has really helped him enjoy it more than he has in the past. There is a direct correlation. ...and you know what? Maybe it's not all about me.

Wow Scott. I just read your whole thread and you inspire me so much. Thank you for your honesty and for sharing your incredible Story!
All the best to you and your family!
Lisa

This past January, I looked at the scale with disgust and decided to drop some weight. The scale read 296 and my comfort zone is in the 250-265 range. I got to 264 by mid summer and am back at 270 today. Now terribly broken up about it but not happy either. Its time for another push. 20 more pounds would be outstanding. I ran my annual mile race in 8:32 this June and I don't remember the time of my 5k in April but I was happy with it. 33 minutes maybe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!