Scouting with the Dads

Wow... just noticed this thread was here.

Got DS into Scouts last year as a Tiger. Starting up this year, I was 'volunteered' to be the Wolf Den Leader. 1 month in and currently 6 boys in the Den. Luckily I have a very interactive group of parents that like to stay and help each week. Makes my job a LOT easier.

I have been an Assistant Den Leader since my DS was a Tiger Scout. He is now a Webelos 1 and we are contemplating bridging to Boy Scouts, but joining a different troop than the one affiliated with our Pack (drama, don't ask). Due to my schedule, it is my one evening with my DS (almost 10) each week and I cherish the time that we get to spend together learning how to be a respectful and capable young man. The transformation from when he was a Tiger till now is incredible (obviously), but the fact that I got to watch him go through this and support him as he overcame some challenges and obstacles. It has been extremely gratifying to watch him become more self-sufficient at each meeting.

So, who else has a Spring Encampment coming up?
Cub World for the Southeast Louisiana Council is this weekend, and we're looking forward to another great time.
And, since Pack 'Gami now has a new 8-person tent, DW is going to come with us this time, if for no other reason than my recent health issues make her want to keep an eye on me while I'm keeping an eye on DS.:rolleyes: That, and there's no way the 3 of us would have fit in our old tent :crowded: , and we can all sleep under one fabric roof this time :lmao: ...
Here's to being happy campers!:woohoo:

So, I have been out of a leadership role in scouts for 2 years now. I admit, It has been nice. Unfortunately, the same thing that was happening to the cubscouts when i took over is happening to the boyscouts. They are in need of a scoutmaster. I know boyscouts is supposed to be easier because the boys do it but unfortunately that can't happen. Not yet anyways.
The current leaders don't do camping. Both are female and could be decent but won't camp. We have gone but they don't stay. Anyways, as for the boys running it, there is a big age gap from the leader before me in cubscouts. This age gap has allowed the group to have 18 year old scouts eagling/aging out to my son who will be 13 in december.

So, the current leaders want to step down and it is looking like I am going to be the only option besides closing down the troop.
There are 9 scouts left. My two boys, a friends two boys, the current leaders son, and 4 other scouts that just crossed over in May. (yes May. The leader that took over after me in the cubscouts, whom i was strongly against, was very unorganized and caused a lot of issues. When i took over the pack was 18 scouts total in all dens. I grew it to 45. Last i knew there is 20 or 21 scouts left)
So, with that, I feel it will be a struggling year to get things back in the order they should be in the troop. Get the boys where they know how to lead/run a meeting and get some learning going again. It is looking like it will all be my shoulders. We thought about going to a different troop but the troop in the next city is apparently worse off than we are and currently has no leader. I don't get why no parents want to help out with this. Why is it always the same 3-4 people doing everything.

The friend with 2 scouts in, He doesn't show up half the time so he won't be leader. current leader is stepping down and she is a single mom so there is no other parent there (there is but he hates Boyscouts). Of the 4 that crossed over, One family the dad is gone on business travel a lot and the mom is the committee chair for cubs, family 2 is divorced. The mom never comes and the dad cant be a leader because of issues in his past (although he is a great help for anything. always has been). Family 3, the mom and dad tag team being there but he won't take any form of leadership. He is the assistant chief of our fire dept but he won't lead a group of kids. I think he would be good at it but he won't. She won't because of all the things she is doing with their daughter. And then there is family 4. Family 4's mom was the leader that took over after me in cubs. I will not let her be the leader. She doesn't want to be anyways be I won't let her. She would tell people how much of a terrible scout leader she was. How she hates the outdoors and the country (not the USA). She is a city girl yet she lives in the country. I don't get it.
Her husband would be good i think but he works 3rd shift and won't do a leadership role. So that leaves myself and my wife.

I was planning in December to run for village board. Guess that will have to wait. Got some boys to take care of.

Sorry to rant. I will climb off my box now.

So, Yeah, I am popcorn kernel, in charge of wreath sales, going to be Scoutmaster if no one steps up in the next two weeks and my wife is the meritbadge counsellor and committee member. Lets do this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!