Scrapbook Expo

DisneyBelle99

DIS Veteran
I have never been to any kind of Scrapbook expo, or crop, or anything like that. So, I am taking the plunge for a Scrapbook Expo event in New Jersey, about 90 minutes away.

Any hints, experiences to share? Should I sign up for any workshops? I really just want to wander around the place, and see what is new. I think:confused3

Thanks in advance for any info. Deb

I've done the Scrapbook Expo, in NJ, a few times, though not in the last several years.

Basically, if you don't sign up for the classes, it's a fun day/weekend of shopping, with maybe a few cheap mini-classes/make-and-takes thrown in. If that's enough for you, then go for it.

If you want something more and can spare the cash, I'd say take a few interesting classes. It won't take a full weekend to shop the Expo floor.

There are also companies that run crops in hotels around the area over the weekend of the Expo. I went to one 2 years ago, even though I didn't go to the Expo! I can recommend the crop organizer, though she's changed hotels and I don't have any personal experience with the new hotel locataion. That will give you a chance to shop until you've had enough retail therapy, then switch over to scrapping with all your new goodies. I saw lots of women going back and forth between the Expo and the nearby crop hotel. (If you'd like the website, I'm happy to share, but I think that would need to be in a private message - let me know if you'd like the info...)

I have been to Scrapbook Expos in Florida before. I enjoy going and find my best value in classes and generally try to take a few of them. I have done their evening make and take crop and that was worth the money as we got lots of supplies and up until the make and takes started I used their cricut machine for titles as well as their sticker machine for getting them sticky- that was a great deal for me (although I actually used my own carts for the cutting).

I've went to a scrapbook expo in Michigan a couple years ago. I did take several classes and thought they were well worth the money but it just depends on what you'd like to do. I loved wandering around and shopping/doing the free make-and-takes. They did have crops going on there but I didn't do them (kinda wish I would have).

A few recommendations I have are to take a large tote bad with you to carry your purchases, as well as, your supplies if you're doing any classes. I also took return address labels for all the drawings the various vendors had. That way I didn't have to write my name, address and phone number over and over again while I was there (I wrote my phone number on them ahead of time).

I'm sure you'll have a great time no matter what you decide to do / not do. :)

I've been to the Scrapbook Expo in San Diego for several years.

Bring: some cash and you credit/debit card. The card for larger purchases and the cash for random stickers/die cuts/etc here and there.
a hard 12x12 case of some kind for individual papers
a tote bag to put all your goodies in
more cash :) Seriously, I always find so much stuff to buy.

I have never been to any kind of Scrapbook expo, or crop, or anything like that. So, I am taking the plunge for a Scrapbook Expo event in New Jersey, about 90 minutes away.

Any hints, experiences to share? Should I sign up for any workshops? I really just want to wander around the place, and see what is new. I think:confused3

Thanks in advance for any info. Deb

I'm going to that one as well!

I'm taking 2 classes on Saturday (Tattered Blossms Layout and At Home) and then going to the crop Saturday evening. I also plan to shop, but of course!

I went to the Vendor Fair only last year. It's a great experience if you are only used to shopping at Michaels or AC Moore.

I missed the Expo last year, but went 9 out of the 10 years before... just to shop! :) While the vendor list has gotten smaller over the years, I agree with an above poster that its still a great improvement over Big Box stores. I have started to order online a little more, but personally I prefer to see the real colors of products before purchasing, so I still find the Expo to be worth it! Not sure if we'll make it this year or not, but I hope so!

I don't know what your inclinations are when it comes to scrapbooking products, so perhaps this may sound over the top :) But my friends and I have always been very eager each time the Craft & Hobby Show would come around, to see what new products the manufacturers would be putting out. To that end, we kind of had an idea of what we were interested in each year, that we knew we couldn't just buy at a local BB store. It helped us very much to go in with a wish list of collections or products we were hoping to find, that way we wouldn't realize later we forgot to look for that "X" we really wanted, and now we're stuck ordering it online sight unseen. Even with the floor being smaller, it's still overwhelming to have all those vendors and it's easy to forget what's on your wishlist!

I also agree with the tote bag for shopping, large enough for 12x12. I actually bring one or 2 of those plastic craft keepers, with a piece of 12x12 cardboard in one, just to keep my new things from getting bent.

I also recommend having a very easy-access wallet. My usually wallet is missing a zipper pull, and has lots of compartments... space on the floor is tight, and space at the check-outs even tighter-not a lot of space to put your stuff down and get your wallet squared away. You want to make your purchases fast and easy, get your change or your card back and easily put them away. I also recommend having cash, in smaller denominations, it really does make it so much easier and quicker.

FYI, they are pretty strict about wheeled carts on the floor. As in, they are not allowed.

Since I saw this thread, I've been considering doing the crop directly at the Expo on Saturday. Looks like that's $35. I might add on the expo floor ticket as well, just to meander and maybe pick up a few fun things that I can't get locally. (I really miss all the now-closed local scrapbook stores!)

I'd be going on my own (I only have a few local scrappy friends and they're uninterested), but if a local Dis-er was there, I'd try to make a point of saying hi at the crop. :)

Looks like FergieTCat is going... is anyone else?

Since I saw this thread, I've been considering doing the crop directly at the Expo on Saturday. Looks like that's $35. I might add on the expo floor ticket as well, just to meander and maybe pick up a few fun things that I can't get locally. (I really miss all the now-closed local scrapbook stores!) I'd be going on my own (I only have a few local scrappy friends and they're uninterested), but if a local Dis-er was there, I'd try to make a point of saying hi at the crop. :) Looks like FergieTCat is going... is anyone else?

Yes, I am going.
Friday and Saturday, not sure how late on Saturday. Did not sign up for classes yet. Would be fun to meet for lunch Saturday if a few of us would be there then.
Deb

I'm horrible - I'm still waffling. Basically, in order to go Friday, I'd have to convince my husband to work from home and schlep our son to school/swim lessons, while still getting his stuff done. And going Saturday would mean I'd have to talk him into going to a kiddie birthday party, which I know he'd rather not do. I'm not sure which one of those I'd have more success in asking for! :)

I'll make a decision by mid-week and post here if I'm going. If so, I'd definitely make a point of meeting anyone else from the Dis Boards who's at the NJ Expo!

Got the all-clear from my husband that he can stay home with our little guy. So, I'm going to the Expo and the crop on Saturday.

For those of you going - DisneyBelle, FergieTCat, KristenFNJ? - shall we figure out how to find each other for a hello? :)

Got the all-clear from my husband that he can stay home with our little guy. So, I'm going to the Expo and the crop on Saturday. For those of you going - DisneyBelle, FergieTCat, KristenFNJ? - shall we figure out how to find each other for a hello? :)

The only thing I have booked for Saturday is the Cool Tools workshop at 2:30, so if anyone wants to meet for lunch? 1PM? Since I. Don't know the layout, is there a Main food place?

I'll be there tomorrow, likely at the crop most of the day, with maybe a little shopping thrown in for good measure. I've gotta pack up some supplies for tomorrow so I can travel light - I currently have most (but not quite all) of my scrapbooking supplies packed into my crop bags because I virtually never scrap at home! I'm not lugging that stuff around all day!

If anyone who's going wants to meet up, drop me a private message and we'll plan it out... :)

Most if not all of the classes are at the hotel, and there is a continuos shuttle. Didn't realize that I will be in the hotel for the class. I did the what's new from CHA... Lots of paper given, with embellishments . Good for someone like me, only at this for less than 3 yrs.
Tonight, I am going to a Mon Ami Gabi class. I am a little overwhelmed by all the new(to me) stuff here. Good bargains at Scrap that . Some good Bo bunny prices at My Scrapping Spot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter