Sea Base at Epcot

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Who has been? What is it like? Is there a lot to see? Any touch tanks? My kids absolutely love animals and aquariums. We were planning on doing a day at Sea World, however, would this be enough to give them that "aquarium" fix? Anyone have photos they want to share?

Man the title really gave me a blast from the past. Instantly thought of the shaky floor elevator lol. There’s a good amount to look at and my kids are always in there at least 20 mins after the Nemo ride, especially if it’s around a feeding time with the divers in the tank.

It's a great area. Tons of animals to see. Hammerheads, turtles, stingrays, clownfish, cuttlefish, dolphins, manatees, etc.

There's no animals available to touch.

Depending what time of day you go you might see dolphins playing a game with a CM which I highly recommend or divers cleaning the tanks and feeding

I snapped this photo of a turtle the other day

07557983-212F-4B5D-B600-E11766B253D3.jpeg

It's not SeaWorld (obviously!) I think it definitely fills an aquarium fix though. In fact, I believe it was built by Disney to keep people from going to SeaWorld

We wander through the aquarium just about every time we stop by Epcot. It is one of the largest in the country and well stocked with lots of various fish and a few turtles. And dolphins. There are also a couple of smaller displays that are quite interesting. As a previous poster noted, it is not SeaWorld. No opportunity to touch the animals. But combining a visit to the aquarium with a day at the Animal Kingdom should provide plenty of animal sights.

It's not that big, but it's very cool. I love watching the manatees! There is an area where you can walk into a round room with lots of viewing windows into the tank. Sometimes they even do feedings of the stingrays. Sometimes there are divers in there too. It's nothing major, but it's worth spending a little time there. If you ride Nemo it's going to drop you off there anyway (if you don't ride Nemo you can enter through the exit/gift shop). Also, Turtle Talk is in there.

LOL. Okay, what is this thing that you guys are talking about?

Well, the "SeaBase" used to be called "SeaBase Alpha" back before the ride was re-themed to Nemo. It was just "The Living Seas" and you went through an elaborate pre-show with "hydrolators" that took you "down" to the Sea Cabs which then took you through the tunnel to SeaBase Alpha. The area is still now just called SeaBase, and includes Turtle Talk with Crush and Bruce's Shark Reef which as far as I can tell is just a photo op (but it's listed on the WDW Interactive Map).

Ahhh, the memories of the good ol' days with SeaBase Alfalpha!

SeaBase_Alfalpha.jpg

LOL. Okay, what is this thing that you guys are talking about?

Since it got revamped to be the Finding Nemo ride, I haven't really heard the aquarium called the SeaBase (even though it technically is still called that). IMO the Living Seas was an awesome ride. The hydrolators were hokey and everyone tried to skip the video at the beginning but it was really fantastic seeing the aquarium by moving through it.

Oh this brings back some happy memories. I remember impressing the heck out of my then 11 year old Nephew when I successfully completed the tasks with my arms stuck in the robotic diving suit. I re-discovered the aquarium a couple trips ago after skipping it for many years. Now I spend time each trip just sitting and watching and have been lucky enough to catch the dolphin activities several times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter