Seaworld Questions about DAS and Walker

OnlyDisney

DIS Veteran
We have an upcoming field trip to Seaworld and still have some questions after trying to google and ask on the Seaworld board.

1. Outside food - Is it like Disney? We bring in snacks and sandwiches/lunchables in a Packit freezeable lunchbag (dimensions 11”H x 8.5”W x 7”D) is this OK at Seaworld? I've heard no to food, yes to food, and maybe to food! This makes planning a little difficult.

2. I use a walker but am amble to walk/stand a short time without it. Am I able to take it through all lines or do some places need to get a return time like at some Disney rides?

3. Our son uses a DAS since he's on the autism spectrum. Does Seaworld have something like this?

I am going to attempt to answer your questions, but please note that my only experience is at Sea World San Diego, but from what I have head in general they are better at consistency across their parks than Disney is.

1. You can bring food in if there are dietary needs that Sea Worlds Dining Locations cannot address, but they can handle most dietary needs now and honestly do a better job at this than even Disney does. If you are trying to do it to save money, save yourself the hassle and get the all day dining deal, especially if they are on longer hours. We tend to only find the all day dining worth it if the park is open more than 10 hours and it is often open 8 to 9 hours.
  2. I believe you can take it through most of the queues, but this might be a moot point with number 3.
  3. Yes, they have a similar "card", but there are some differences:
    1. You have to fill out an accessibility questionnaire form, to save time, this can be filled out in advance by downloading and printing from: https://seaworld.com/orlando/help/guests-with-disabilities/
    2. You will only need to fill this out once unless needs change, they keep it on record forever and if you go to any other Sea World/Busch Gardens Park in the U.S., they will have it on record, all you need to do is provide ID or your name to get a new one. And when they say forever they mean it, we had not renewed our Sea World Passes in about 7 years and they had it on record still, no need to reexplain my needs, the only question asked beyond verifying my indentity was if my needs were still the same and apparently the same will be true when we go to Orlando this next trip or so guest services assures me and I have yet to have them mislead me on anything, ever, which is something I can't say for Disneys guest service.l, granted theirs has never been intentional misinformation, but it has happened.
    3. The back of the "card" says they will give a return time, but more often than not they will simply let you through the Quick Queue without giving a return time.
    4. It really is just a printed piece of paper, not a card, so make sure you have somewhere to out it that it can stay dry on the water rides.
Overall, I find it very hard to get a lot of information about Sea World. there is a little more out there for Sea World Orlando, but almost non-existent for San Diego, so if you have other questions, I will do my best to answer, again with the caveat that I only have first hand experience in San Diego.

Will I need to fill out the accessibility form if just using my walker and not a scooter? Also, the form is just for mobility, is there anything to fill out for autism spectrum?

Will I need to fill out the accessibility form if just using my walker and not a scooter? Also, the form is just for mobility, is there anything to fill out for autism spectrum?
I know it sounds silly, but even for Autism, they have the same form filled out. Basically it is to make sure what rides you are physically able to handle, other needs are discussed in person to determine the best type of assistance possible, but the form is still required. If you don't fill it out in advance, they will give you one there to fill out.

And my experience is that the form needs to be used if you have any disability at all. Really most of the items probably won't apply to you, so you will probably answer just the first 5 questions and as a result they will say all rides are ok for you. If you just want to use the regular queues you may not need to fill out the form (usually people in wheelchairs and ECVs do not need to unless there are other needs), but by doing so, it will give you the ability to use alternate queues, which may be helpful. And I am not sure with a Walker if they would require it or not.

Please be aware that like the DAS, the person who needs the pass must ride, so I would recommend getting a pass for both you and your son in case one of you wants to ride something the other doesn't.

So to sum up:
For the walker, you probably don't have to fill out the form, but doing so and getting a pass will probably provide better assistance than if you don't.

For your son, the form will be required and you will need to discuss his needs since they are more than just mobility issues. But again, you will only need to discuss this once and any time in the future, prove his identity and get the pass renewed with no further questions other than if needs have changed.

I am going to attempt to answer your questions, but please note that my only experience is at Sea World San Diego, but from what I have head in general they are better at consistency across their parks than Disney is.

1. You can bring food in if there are dietary needs that Sea Worlds Dining Locations cannot address, but they can handle most dietary needs now and honestly do a better job at this than even Disney does. If you are trying to do it to save money, save yourself the hassle and get the all day dining deal, especially if they are on longer hours. We tend to only find the all day dining worth it if the park is open more than 10 hours and it is often open 8 to 9 hours.
  2. I believe you can take it through most of the queues, but this might be a moot point with number 3.
  3. Yes, they have a similar "card", but there are some differences:
    1. You have to fill out an accessibility questionnaire form, to save time, this can be filled out in advance by downloading and printing from: https://seaworld.com/orlando/help/guests-with-disabilities/
    2. You will only need to fill this out once unless needs change, they keep it on record forever and if you go to any other Sea World/Busch Gardens Park in the U.S., they will have it on record, all you need to do is provide ID or your name to get a new one. And when they say forever they mean it, we had not renewed our Sea World Passes in about 7 years and they had it on record still, no need to reexplain my needs, the only question asked beyond verifying my indentity was if my needs were still the same and apparently the same will be true when we go to Orlando this next trip or so guest services assures me and I have yet to have them mislead me on anything, ever, which is something I can't say for Disneys guest service.l, granted theirs has never been intentional misinformation, but it has happened.
    3. The back of the "card" says they will give a return time, but more often than not they will simply let you through the Quick Queue without giving a return time.
    4. It really is just a printed piece of paper, not a card, so make sure you have somewhere to out it that it can stay dry on the water rides.
Overall, I find it very hard to get a lot of information about Sea World. there is a little more out there for Sea World Orlando, but almost non-existent for San Diego, so if you have other questions, I will do my best to answer, again with the caveat that I only have first hand experience in San Diego.

1. We brought our lunch in! They didn't even search the bag:confused3 I'm not sure if the main gate is like this, but at the education entrance everyone walked through a metal detector. My father was carrying the lunch bag and when he started walking to the table after the metal detector they waved him away saying they had no need to check it.

2. We forgot my walker! We had to hike all the way from the education entrance to the front of the park to rent a wheelchair so I could use it as a walker. (My ankle was starting to burn by the time we got there). The only ride I ended up doing was Manta. I didn't notice the signs about wheelchairs at first that said Wheelchair users need to use the QuickQue. The castmember said since it had a low wait I could go right in - 20 min wait at that time. I'm not sure if we went on a ride that had a longer wait time if they hand out return times.

3. For my son I ended up asking about it in the wrong location. Since we came in through the education entrance and walked around to the rental store, I completely missed Guest Services & Information. I asked at the rental place and they seemed confused about accommodations, they even seemed confused about where I could take the chair. Admittedly I was asking at the wrong location, but they should have been at least able say "I'm sure guest services could answer that for you" and direct me there or even "ask a castmember at the attraction and they can direct you". All I got were shrugs.

It wasn't until we were leaving for the day and we had to exit out the main entrance did I spot Guest Services! So next time at least I know where to ask my questions.

I printed out that accessibility form but left it and home and completely forgot about it on the day of.

Yeah, the Education entrance may be different, because kids are there on a school trip technically.

Sorry about the guest relations mess, seems odd the wheelchair location wouldn't know where to send you.

We went with our homeschool group. It looks like something they do every year so we'll just try again next year.

The rental castmembers weren't the only ones who behaved differently than Disney CMs. Even my husband, who isn't the biggest Disney fan, (one big reason we moved down here was so the kids and I could do Disney while he's at work giving us a chance to vacation elsewhere!) was pointing out the lackluster interaction and downright unenthusiastic responses from the employees. An example - we were on an attraction with a similar set up to Star Tours. When the castmember was getting everyone in their seats she sounded VERY bored - sighing, eye rolling, and tone - and it was only noon!

On a completely unrelated note, it was disconcerting trying to navigate a new park. After being able to get around Disney with my eyes closed I hated feeling so lost there.

How sad, the workers at Sea World San Diego always seem very excited to be working, very friendly and all are knowledgeable on how things worm. I also have to say Sea World San Diego is by far the cleanest theme park I have ever been to. Constantly being kept clean, I mean when we were eating and had finished a plate of something, they asked if they could take our trash, not rudely, just trying to help. If you saw a spec of anything on the ground, it is cleaned up before you would have a chance to pick it up and throw it away (there can be rare times where this isn't the case, but even so you don't see trash cans ever overflowing or things littering the ground, etc.) The other thing is there is a lot more seating around the park than at Disney these days, which is nice. I am just wonder how Orlando compares on those as well now.

And yeah, a new park can be very disconcerting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter