Selling Silverware?

JoyG

DIS Veteran
I've got a bunch of silverware from my grandmother and I'm wondering where someone would go to sell something like that.

It looks like most of it is silver plated from the 1800's to the turn of the century.

There are a few stray sterling silver items.

Where should I even begin? Do you have any experience with this?:confused3

I'd suggest starting with a fine jewelry store that currently sells silverware. Another option would be a local upscale auction house. Finally, a prosperous and visible antiques shop proprietor. You should get some leads regarding a legitimate appraisal process and sale.

First I would do some research online and find out the pattern name and then see what it sells for on ebay to determine if it is even worth anything. Condition also plays a big part in silver plate.

If all else fails, there are online companies who sell replacement pieces for flatware who have to get them from somewhere! Check them out.

If you find after your research that the items may have some value I would make sure to get more than one apppraisal. Sometimes they are vastly different.

I hope it's okay that I'm adding to this thread but found it in search. I've learned over the years that DIS Peeps are truly wise & helpful!:worship:

I also have my grandma's old silverware. I know it's 'real' :) but can't find it online anywhere.

I remember reading here also, that some were selling to jewelers along with gold. Any ideas or thoughts on this? TIA!!

Thank you for the quick reply. I will definitely check it out!

Is it generally better to sell this way vs somewhere buying gold / silver?

BTW, FWIW :) I am keeping ALOT of my dear Grandma's stuff <3 (my Sis In Law can't believe I'd part with it :/ )

I also have my grandma's old silverware. I know it's 'real' :) but can't find it online anywhere.
By "real" I assume you mean sterling silver and not silver plate. I am pretty good at knowing most of the patterns so if you post a picture I can probably help you out. Sterling silver in good condition is worth something depending on the pattern. I tend to estimate SS on the low side and say it is worth about $20 per piece. Serving pieces and rarer serving pieces (tomato server, fish server, pickle forks, etc) are worth more but $20 will at least get you in the ball park. If it is silver plate and is some old timey pattern it isn't hardly worth your time. I go to estate sales and will see full 8-12 place settings with serving pieces in the wooden box and it doesn't even sell for $150 for the entire set.

When my Grandmother was downsizing she gave me her "real" silverware. I thought I would use it with my China for formal dinners. I didn't use, it was too much of a pain to keep clean.

No one else in the family wanted it so my Grandma said she wouldn't care if I sold. Took a service for 8 to a local jewelry store where they bought to melt down. Received $450 cash for the set. Sure, I might have gotten more if I would have pieced it out. But it wasn't worth the hassle, the silverware had no "value" to my Grandma or us, so getting whatever we could get we were happy with. Good luck!

When my Grandmother was downsizing she gave me her "real" silverware. I thought I would use it with my China for formal dinners. I didn't use, it was too much of a pain to keep clean.

No one else in the family wanted it so my Grandma said she wouldn't care if I sold. Took a service for 8 to a local jewelry store where they bought to melt down. Received $450 cash for the set. Sure, I might have gotten more if I would have pieced it out. But it wasn't worth the hassle, the silverware had no "value" to my Grandma or us, so getting whatever we could get we were happy with. Good luck!
Breaks my heart to see sterling flatware melted down for the silver - I consider sterling and china to be cherished family heirlooms - even if it’s not my family - it’s womans history / but I know that’s just me - seems these days - nobody wants formal dining - they’re not even putting dining rooms in houses anymore - ‘Flex Space’ is the trend - could be a dining room - could be an office...

We have my DH's grandmothers silver and use it for every holiday! My oldest DD has already claimed it for when we are gone.

On a side note.. I just purchased a Lenox China place setting for a bridal shower, so some girls still like/want to use China:love:

About five years ago I was given my mother's silverware. I wasn't interested in using the silverware, so it sat in my basement for another year. Then, I want on-line and found some companies that buy silverware. I researched the companies a bit, and then called the one that sounded most favorable. I don't remember the name of the company, but it was in Texas. They asked that I send them one piece of silver, which I did. They called about a week later, and said that they would buy the silver. I wrapped the silver up, put it in a box, and sent it to Texas. I received a check for $1200.00 shortly thereafter. Don't know how this compared to fair market value, but it was quick and easy.

We sold my mom's silverware to a place that bought jewelry and gold a few years ago for about $1500. Mom had thought it was worth 10x that, but the jeweller told us no one really bought that anymore. He wasn't going to melt it down though. He said there was a market for it in China.

I love my sterling. We use it fairly often. If you use it and keep it in a felt-lined box, there is no need for polishing.

My SIL gave me 2 boxes of old silverplate flatware from the 1800s that has been in my husband's family. I tried to sell it but nobody wanted to buy, so it's sitting in my attic. I have no idea what to do with it. I have 4 girls and not one of them wants it or my great-grandmother's Bohemian china. I hate to think of any of it getting destroyed, but I also am getting older and I don't want to continue to hold on to all of these old things that will never be used. I was always assured that the crystal, china, and silver was precious and special but times have changed!

We just don't do the kind of formal entertaining with large groups that my parent did a ton of when I was growing up with all the crystal, china, and sterling. My parents still use the China and Crystal for about three large gatherings a year, but now use a nice stainless pattern instead of the sterling. At 82 (both are this age), it's more work than they want to do and stainless is just so nice these days.

When they pass unless someone in the family wants it, we'll probably sell it. If anyone wants it, though, to use or store, we'll give them first dibs. Grandchildren are grown, so there are more candidates.

the first thing i would do is make an appt with an appraiser - get a certificate from them, and THEN find out about selling it - you need to know what you are dealing with first - you might just be holding a diamond in the rough

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!