September 2017 Car Rental Watch

RweTHEREyet

DIS Veteran
After posting incorrectly in the Sept 2016 Watch thread, I could not find one for September, 2017 so I am starting one. If there is one hidden somewhere, please point me in the right direction. Otherwise, here goes:

I have just started looking for a rental for our Sept. 2017 trip. We are going to need a mini-van to get around in while we are down there. We have 6 adults and a toddler with a car seat. I checked the Costco site and thru Alamo was able to get a mini-van for $254 for 9 days, which I think is a fairly good rate, but can I get it down any further?

Also, what was offered was a Town and Country, and a Toyota Sienna was offered for about $30 more. What would make the Toyota Sienna worth paying the extra?

Last edited:
Thanks for starting. I have a couple of things booked. I can't find a coupon through Alamo though. My reservation is 12 days and most coupons won't work. I also have a minivan through Alamo. September often has better rates, so hoping the trend continues.

I want to thank you for starting the tread also. Hoping some discounts will come out soon - we need a rental for 12 days also and the rates are so high.

We are going from 9/16-9/23 (13 day rental). We locked in Alamo with Costco discount for $292.61 for a standard/full size. We are a family of 5 staying at Bonnet Creek so although I would like a bigger vehicle I don't think we will be in it long enough to need to get anything larger.

I believe I read on other threads that the Toyota Sienna can seat 8, whereas the Town and Country can only seat 7, is that correct or are there other reasons the Sienna costs more?

I'm debating on renting a car for our September trip. We are coming in on a Wednesday staying at POFQ for two nights then heading to Port Canaveral for a 3 night Disney cruise on the Dream. It's just my husband and I. There are positives and negatives of rental and Disney transport. My husband is all for just using Disney transportation, but I'm having a hard time with the $140 we will be spending for the DCL transport. It's $64 to park at port for our cruise. Our flight home isn't until after 3:00 and we have to be off the ship by 9:00- the DCL will take us back to the airport. If we can get a reasonable rental I think I can talk my husband into it :) Anyone have an idea on approximate cost of 6 day rental for a small car?

Anyone having any luck with long stay reservations? We have a 13 day stay - and the rates are out of control. We are not going straight to WDW, we will go on day 2 - then last few days we are not a WDW. Thinking of doing 2 separate car rentals for trip and returning to Alamo onsite at WDW - has anyone done this?

I just checked and my 10 day mini-van rental with Alamo thru Costco is still holding at $249. I think I will be happy with this rate even if it does not go down any at all.

I'm debating on renting a car for our September trip. We are coming in on a Wednesday staying at POFQ for two nights then heading to Port Canaveral for a 3 night Disney cruise on the Dream. It's just my husband and I. There are positives and negatives of rental and Disney transport. My husband is all for just using Disney transportation, but I'm having a hard time with the $140 we will be spending for the DCL transport. It's $64 to park at port for our cruise. Our flight home isn't until after 3:00 and we have to be off the ship by 9:00- the DCL will take us back to the airport. If we can get a reasonable rental I think I can talk my husband into it :) Anyone have an idea on approximate cost of 6 day rental for a small car?

We often rent when having a WDW stay and then doing a cruise, but we don't usually keep the car and pay to park it. We usually rent at the airport, turn it in at the port and then rent again when we get off the ship.

This last cruise however we rented for the beginning of the trip as we had 3 days before and turned it in at the port (we like to get there earlier than Disney transportation does) and then we took DCL transportation from the port back to WDW after the cruise. We thought it would be faster than renting a car, but ended up not being the case. We were told we had to be on the DCL bus by 8:00 AM, so we skipped breakfast and headed to the bus. However, we sat on the bus until 9:00 AM before it left the terminal for WDW and we barely made it to Olivia's at OKW in time to order from the breakfast menu.

we are going for 13 days and need a mini van for the first few as we are arriving late on a Wed and doing Universal first. Might keep the rest of the Disney stay or turn it in.

We have a Standard booked with Alamo (Disney AP Holder discount: Contract 15000) - Sept 8-17 (10 days) for $242, including the prepaid gas.

Thanks for the AP holder contract # I bought a DVC gold pass earlier today but could not find a ID #

Is it better to book just a week only or 10 days work also? We have 3 days when we arrive onsite and then a week offsite. I can take DME back to the airport to get a car when we switch to offsite. I wonder if it would be worth it, also how bad is bus travel time in the morning?

EDIT: I did book an intermediate car with Dollar for 10 day for $207 including taxes. I will keep shopping around for a better offer.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!