September 2017 Car Rental Watch

I'm at:
September 20-24
Alamo "Drive Happy Deal" (compact+), $68.92 base, $102.61 total
Costco contract ID, no coupon
(booked this in Feb., rates are higher now)

HI for those that are quoting the rental price, does it include the tax? Tax is killer for Los Angeles!

We are going from 9/16-9/23 (13 day rental). We locked in Alamo with Costco discount for $292.61 for a standard/full size. We are a family of 5 staying at Bonnet Creek so although I would like a bigger vehicle I don't think we will be in it long enough to need to get anything larger.
your dates are 7 nights
9/16-9/23
not 13 nights

We've decided to fly again so I'm back at looking for a rental. Sept 2-13th, I just reserved Alamo standard car for $240. I paid $225 in late April into May for the same general length of time. My standard car was full size aisle and we were able to get a ford escape, they also had two full size trucks and a mini-van in the full size aisle. I'm hoping that since I'm searching much earlier than I was in April I will be able to get it down under $200. Happy hunting!

Looking for a car and mega van (12 seater), or two vans for Sept, right now prices are CRAZY.

Any tips or places to look?

I can't bring myself to book at these prices (yet).... we typically go with Alamo (costco discount), but WOW!!!
Going to need a mid-size SUV, Sept 9 - 7:00pm to Sept14 - 5:30pm. I know the less than 1 week rental will hurt, but $$$ eek!

...right now prices are CRAZY. Any tips or places to look?

...I know the less than 1 week rental will hurt, but $$$ eek!

I know its hard, but try to relax.

What you should do is go ahead and book something now (definitely don't do a prepay). Yes, the rates are bad, but there's a much better chance than not that they'll come down. In all probability, you'll continue to see high rates for awhile yet and there may not be much movement until mid to late August. Most of the time, you won't see rates drop until anywhere from 1 week to 1 month prior to your rental date. However, that "rule" (which isn't always the case) applies more to the common car classes (economy, compact, midsize, etc.) than the specialty vehicles that you're looking for (SUV/van).

As for where to look, I tend to look at the Alamo/Budget/Dollar websites and sometimes something like a carrentalsavers or Orbitz like site. Sometimes those general websites don't catch the specials...for example, the Dollar "city special". Also, sometimes Budget (and maybe Dollar) occasionally run SUV or minivan specials for $179 or $199 a week.

It may be a little early for daily checking, but get something in hand and keep an eye on things. I think you'll find something better.

Trying to find a decent rental for 9-10 to 9/16, and OMG!!!! :scared1: The prices are outrageous....for all the rental companies! I don't think I've ever seen them this high. Here's to hoping there's SOME sort of reduction soon. YIKES

I need to add a day and rates just keep going up! At this rate we will have to return the car a day early and use ME. I can't remember rates being this high even this far out before.

Don't panic. We are a long way off still. Rates should come down as summer moves along. I haven't looked at my past bookings yet, but we go in September almost every year (for the past 10 years or so). I seem to recall that rates start dropping 4-5 weeks out and then best rates are about 1 1/2 weeks out.

You find this thread getting more active with "rates are down, go check yours now" in a month or so.

Trip 9/16 -9/23 staying at Bonnet Creek, we've been owners for 3 year and our first trip to stay there, LoL. Just booked Avis (I like the location of the Avis Counters at MCO) as a back-up while I wait (HOPE) rates drop. Got an Intermediate for $335 all fees etc through Costco travel. Last year our Disney (shhh we actually went to Universal) trip was in May and Costco travel had a mini-van with Avis for an early May trip for $202 all in that we booked 1 1/2 weeks beforehand. In my experience Nuzmom is right about the 1 1/2 week price drop timing; prices can drop a LOT off season.

The rates have to drop. Two months ago before I booked my flight, I could get a Full Size car from Alamo through Costco for $225 for 10 days... now it is at $400. I know I have to be patient and wait it out, but it is the last thing I need to book for my trip!

Well, I think it's starting.......

Just checked my dates w/ Alamo. Still quite high, but I saw about a $40 decrease for a midsize. Hoping the decrease continues!!!

Well, I think it's starting.......

Just checked my dates w/ Alamo. Still quite high, but I saw about a $40 decrease for a midsize. Hoping the decrease continues!!!

I agree. The rates are still higher than I booked back in February for my September dates, but considerably better than what I've been seeing lately. Since we're still about 3 months out, I think the rates will drop more in a couple months (and probably go back up before then), but if you're not holding anything, now might be a good time to grab something non-binding.

Last edited:
I was able to get a minivan through AAA with Dollar for $405 for 9/4-14 a while back .. But I'm still checking daily to see any price drops.

Edit: this is out of Providence, RI as we are driving down.

Last edited:
I just checked prices and the minivan I currently have booked is almost double the price. hoping it goes down a bit. from what I currently have booked

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!