• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sequoia Lodge Trip Report with Pictures (Part 1)

MICKEY'S DREAMERS

WDW or Hawaii? This is the question!
CAST: I (Laura) and DGH (Disney Grumpy Husband)
IN: Jan 2nd, 2005 (Sequoia Lodge)
OUT: Jan 6th, 2005

PRE-TRIP

We had a few "frequent flyers miles" expiring soon, so we decided to redeem two free tickets from Milan to Paris and to spend a few days of the New Year break at DisneyLand Paris (DLP). We also got a nice Special Offer with four nights for the price of three at Sequoia Lodge.
We decided to use Silvershuttle www.silvershuttle.biz buses to/ from CDG (Charles de Gaulle, Paris Airport) to SL (Sequoia Lodge); we made two Internet reservations and we got two email confirmations, but without any confirmation number on them. The day after we received ONE email saying that there was no shuttle available for that day, without specifying WHICH day! So we had to discover which reservation we still had.

FRIDAY 31st of December

Two days before leaving home there was still no answer from Silvershuttle to our previous English message. DGH used all his best (?) French to ask again (grumping) Silvershuttle. So he wrote an email in Franglais.
Franglais is a strange language quite usual around Disneyland Paris, with some English words in French sentences, or with some French words in English sentences: something like "Let's go to see Mickey et ses amis" (et ses amis = and his friends).
In the mean time we were checking Paris weather forecast. CNN weather.cnn.com was forecasting snow for the arrival day while partially clouded for the rest of the time, while LYCOS weather.lycos.com forecast was rain for the day of arrival and sun for the other days. Let's hope Lycos has better weather-men :)
The temperature was in both forecasts very cold, around 0 Celsius (32 Fahrenheit), but not so different from Italy, so we were ready to bundle up quite a lot.

SATURDAY 1st of January

The day before leaving home.
* MORNING forecasts are the following:
CNN: snow the arrival day, cloudy all the remaining days.
Lycos: Cloudy the arrival day and rain for all the remaining days.
While CNN forecast are almost unchanged, Lycos's are completely different ... this time I hope that CNN is right :)
But there will be a further check in the evening ... No Silvershuttle message yet.
* EVENING forecasts
CNN: showers the arrival day, partially cloudy all the remaining days.
Lycos: showers the arrival day, partially cloudy all the remaining days.
Well! The two forecasts now agree each other and I agree with them! :)
No more weather check! I like this forecast!
Still nothing from Silvershuttle; so we decided a very pragmatic approach: if we see a Silvershuttle bus, then we will catch it; otherwise we will use the "VEA navette" (shuttle) www.vea.fr which doesn't need reservation.

SUNDAY 2nd of January

Departure day! Wake up at 4.30 AM, while DGH was grumping that vacation should mean sleep and relax, not forced work :)
grumpy.gif

Quick look outside the window: OK, no snow (at least here)! This means a safe and quick trip to the airport.
While driving towards the airport I asked DGH: "Do you know the address of the low cost parking we booked?" ... DGH grumped back "YOU were supposed to know!" ... well, after a few wandering and grumping around the airport, we found the parking ... OK, first problem solved :)
Check-in and boarding was normal. When the plane was ready for departure there was an announcement in Italian: "Due to congestion of air traffic our flight has three hours of delay"; while DGH was starting to grump, there was the usual English translation, which was "In a few moments we will depart". In the middle of a standing ovation the pilot explained that there was now a free slot and we were allowed to leave!

The plane landed at CDG almost on schedule; we picked up our luggage and looked for the Silverhuttle. NOTHING !!! so we boarded the VEA shuttle.

HINT: VEA stops from/ to CDG and DLP are in this order: Terminal 3, 1, 2B/D, 2A/C, 2 E/F, Newport Bay, Sequoia Lodge, Santa Fe, Cheyenne, New York, DisneyLand Hotel; there are about 30/40 minutes from CDG to/from DLP, plus 5/10 minutes for each stop. So if your trip is from/to Newport Bay to/from Terminal 2E/F expect less than 45 minutes, while from/to Disneyland Hotel to/from Terminal 3 you will spend the double of the time!

The trip was fast and check-in was smooth. Sequoia Lodge was a nice surprise. We love the "Lodge style" resorts (Wilderness Lodge at WDW is our preferred resort), but we read some reports not so enthusiastic about the resort, mainly due to room maintenance. But our wing / room (1144) looked just renewed and were wonderful. And the hotel itself, with thousands of lights and Christmas decorations, was wonderful.

f595b7a4.jpg

Sequoia Lodge by Night

f595b599.jpg

The fireplace

f595b5b2.jpg

A view of the reception

While unpacking DGH went to the Concierge to make dinner reservations

HINT: From the Concierge of your hotel you can make Dinner Reservations for all Disney Restaurants and also for non-Disney Restaurants at Disney Village

We were quite hungry and we found something to eat

HINT: If you are hungry during the day, while at the SL, you can have sandwiches at the Redwood Lounge

HINT: Moreover the shop of the Resort sells sandwiches too

While eating our sandwiches, DGH tasted an Oregon Coffee (coffee + hazelnut syrup and whipped cream). Delicious! Oregon people, do you always drink coffee like that? :)
... To be continued

DISCLAIMER: Hints are accurate when written. There is a chance that they will be no more valid when you will need them!

Nice photographs and interesting introduction.

Looking forward to part 2 :)

Reid

Enjoyed your report Laura and all the helpful hints - can't wait to read part 2!

Larua & Marco :wave:

Loved the Pre-Trip, you two amaze me how you go with the flow. I would have been so nervous arriving at such a large international airport like CDG and not knowing if I had a way to get to the Resort. But after surviving a hurricane and driving across a strom ravaged state I guess you could handle a missing shuttle.

Can't wait for the next report...Get busy Grump.

Beckie

Wow, your trip sounds wonderful so far....can't wait to read MORE!

(PS ~ LOVE the pix!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter