Share Your Quirky Disney Lesser-Known Attractions

JenboJambo

We're all just children, reaching for our dreams
I thought it would be fun to share some lesser-known (or quirky) attractions at Disney World. If you visit often and have something that you point out each trip, or just have seen something that makes you smile/laugh, list it here so that others can look for it on their next trip!

My family really enjoys this tree across from the seagulls outside of The Seas with Nemo and Friends in Epcot. It has..... a lady figure (to put it nicely). :magnify:
01'05'20_28 (600x800).jpg

Looking forward to seeing what you all have found around the Disney Parks! :)

The Living with the Land ride pretty much describes what you are looking for
A lot of fun stuff in that attraction, but I'm not just talking about plants. There are a lot of fun quirky things throughout the parks and resorts. Looking to compile a list of people's favorites. Do you have a favorite in Living with the Land?

For instance, I found a new one my last trip...there is a small square of carpeting that has been replaced in Cosmic Ray's over by Sonny. The carpet square is approximately 1 foot by 1 foot. The colors are so vibrant compared to the carpeting around it. It's like a glimpse into the past of what the carpeting must have looked like when it was new. I know it's silly, but I'm a weirdo who enjoys that sort of thing.

For some reason my daughter when she was little really enjoyed Carousel of Progress. We loved it for getting out of the heat or rain during trips in July. Now we always stop by for a visit for the great memories.

I like quirky things too so I found this marker in Epcot. I had not seen one before.....maybe they are all over and I hadn't noticed.

They are all over the place and there used to be a website dedicated to listing their locations.

They are official survey markers aka benchmarks and the point in the center that sometimes looks scratched is an official “known location” on Earth. All construction and land surveying must use measurements originating from one of these official markers that are solidly placed in the ground. You have these all around where you live too!

Placing them all around WDW saves time when something new needs building or measuring as it is a pain to survey around structures.

I just love the Cretaceous Trail at AK with plants that haven't changed or are very closely related to what existed 100m ya. It makes me feel like a little kid imagining I'm stuck back on Earth in the age of dinosaurs. Works every time.

It's amazing to think how long some of these have survived with relatively little change. Seeing horseshoe crabs on the beach gives me that same feeling.

They are all over the place and there used to be a website dedicated to listing their locations.

They are official survey markers aka benchmarks and the point in the center that sometimes looks scratched is an official “known location” on Earth. All construction and land surveying must use measurements originating from one of these official markers that are solidly placed in the ground. You have these all around where you live too!

Placing them all around WDW saves time when something new needs building or measuring as it is a pain to survey around structures.
How common are they? Do you mean there a few in each park maybe or dozens? BTW, thanks for the info.

How common are they? Do you mean there a few in each park maybe or dozens? BTW, thanks for the info.

There are some websites if you search for "Disney World benchmarks" but those sites might not be comprehensive. I'm guessing at least 1-2 dozen at each park plus some at the resorts and roads along the way. There are probably quite a few in backstage areas also. It is a lot easier when doing bunches of measuring over time to put in a new benchmark than to keep measuring from one farther away that takes several measurements to get to the new construction site. This info is based on my experience living and working in rural Appalachia on small projects so Disney might be using new technology I've never even heard about.

I feel like it's often overlooked, but I love the Swiss Family Robinson tree house! There's so much whimsical Disney magic packed into it and so many cool little details- I see something new every time!

I always manage to forget about the Tengu statue in the Japanese garden in Epcot until I return and spot him again. The garden is one of my favorite places to spend time just relaxing and taking a breather.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter