Should we move our Aug 25-31 stay?

HappilyEverAfter80

DIS Veteran
We booked a package (free dining promo AKL Resort) for the above dates - thinking we would definitely be avoiding the Star Wars opening and crowds. We do love SW but not to the point we'd ever make a trip to be there for the opening.
When I read SW opening is scheduled for Aug 29th, I thought... great. How is this going to affect our trip?
I would to love to see the land before we leave on the 31st but I don't think it will be easy. Right now I'm thinking to avoid HS later in the week... another option is to move our stay to mid September.. but will that be any better? First of all we'd have to change resorts and possibly lose the free dining.
Anyone else in the same boat? Had this week booked previously counting on fairly low crowds?

I'm in the same boat. We are at AKL DVC stay 8/24-27 and POP 8/27-9/2 with free dining. Booked long ago hoping for low crowds and then SWGE happened. I was thinking of moving to an earlier week, but so many people are doing this I don't think any days in August are going to be low crowds. So I'm going to watch the Star Wars movies with the kids and make the best of it. Not all of us going are park warriors so most of my group has decided to avoid SWGE (I will try to get in with my Dad and daughter), but my extended family hasn't seen Toy Story land so we can't avoid HWS all together.

We are debating to visit WDW from 8/17-24, but now hearing about SWGE opening on the 29th, I'm paranoid that it will be affecting the crowds during the week before. Any suggestions?

We are debating to visit WDW from 8/17-24, but now hearing about SWGE opening on the 29th, I'm paranoid that it will be affecting the crowds during the week before. Any suggestions?
I think 8/17-8/24 is the best week all summer to be at WDW... I fear that the crowds will arrive by the 8/27ish...

I think you will be fine since there is no FP there is no real reason to get there early to get a better FP. I am making a trip ( well I extended a trip) but will be getting to Disney the day before before the land opens my guess is this is what most people that are coming down will be doing. You should be fine

I would keep it, too. Just do the park earlier in the week then avoid it after SWGE opens. It would be nice to be able to walk around and absorb the atmosphere, but not with the expected mob. I'd save that for a later trip.

I'm surprised people aren't excited about this. All those 10 minute standby for peter pan instagram pics on TSL opening day make me definitely want to be there when Star Wars opens to do something else!

I'm surprised people aren't excited about this. All those 10 minute standby for peter pan instagram pics on TSL opening day make me definitely want to be there when Star Wars opens to do something else!
Do you really think crowds will be lighter at the other parks?
We are hoping to hit Epcot for beginning of Food & Wine :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter