Show me your home decor!

smilie

I've been unwonked!
I'm over the décor in my house. I need some change but I am so bad at coming up with ideas.

I would love to see pics of how you have decorated your own homes!

It's just a one story ranch. Very open floor plan with the dining room/living room and the kitchen is only divided by a large counter and cabinets. So I'd like to see how I can make them their own individual space but have it flow together.

Egads! You definitely don't want my input! My poor living room doesn't have any decor. I've moved around so much that I've never really got in the habit of decorating. I think I was in my house nearly 10 yrs before I actually got curtains :) But I will say that my tastes run toward the vintage side. I have quite a few family antiques and lots of family photos. Also, being Catholic, I have Saint pictures and statues. And, my husband serving 20 yrs in the Coast Guard, we have a lot of his plaques, shadow boxes with medals, and certificates on the wall. I am looking forward to see if anyone post pics cuz I would like some ideas too :)

My mom has a ranch with an open floor plan. She was just feeling the same. She picked up a few things to refresh her decor and changed out an old brass light fixture with a black one. She went the farmhouse route. Just a few little things made such a nice difference. (For some reason I can’t load the pic so I’ll try again later).

We have a two story, but the kitchen and living room are open concept. I decorated using the picture hanging behind the sofa as inspiration (barn red, green).

18194597_10212504495430090_4057409986007329687_n.jpg

18157959_10212504495150083_160039108572313585_n.jpg

17759747_10212242861009393_7358369943406463962_n.jpg

ETA: Feralpeg, I am just now seeing your photos come in. NICE JOB! I like the clean light/white with the pop of red. The silver stainless in the kitchen really works great.

OP, I have a greatroom, open floor plan, but with a separate kitchen. There is a nice 4 ft. framed doorway, so semi-separated.
What kind of style and colors would you like to see?
Have you looked thru home magazines?

I don't have a lot of actual Decor... and with an open space, you just don't have the wall space.
I would come up with kind of a color and design theme, and start working from there.
Light open airy colors??? Some warmer tones??? More casual or farmhouse??? More simple modern clean lines???
Once you have decided that, then look at your space and think about how you can break it up, organize it, direct the flow.
You can use things like shelves, floor lamps, mirrors, drapes, etc...

If you could manage to post a couple of photos, that might help!
If you are not sure how to do that, just upload them from your computer to any public photo site. I have Shutterfly. Then you copy the address link, that actual computer-eze link to the photo location, when you click the add 'image' there at the top of your post here on the DIS.

Last edited:

I have an open kitchen/dining/family room. I separated the space by carpeting the family room area and using porcelain wood look tile in the dining/kitchen area. I just kind of flipped things so that they’re different but coordinated. My kitchen cabinets are a vintage white as are the table and chair legs. The table and chairs are topped with cherry. I had my built in entertainment center done in cherry and the stairs are the white topped with cherry. The kitchen dining room is a gray green color with sea foam green and silver backsplash. The family room is painted a warm gray and has sea foam, green and teal accents in it. Both “rooms” have splashes of yellow in them. My style is pretty eclectic and leans towards vintage with a touch of farmhouse in the kitchen area. I have lots of our grandparents things throughout. Lots of framed photos in funky frames including black and whites of all grandparents.

My wife uses havenly.com. They design the room for a fairly low charge and even provide links to the furniture and decoration they place in your design.

Every time I change I’m usually behind everyone. I have a lot of tan colour though out . Just got rid of borders and country. Now everyone has greys .

I don’t like that all the designer shows are going back to gold fixtures...just got rid of all my gold lights in the house too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter