Show me your/Teach me how to DIY Mickey Ears

thomascaldwell1

DIS Veteran
I'm confident this has been discussed over the years, but I don't see anything in the search results more recently than 3-4 years ago, so here we go...
Our travel party: Me, DH, DD18, DD14 (at time of travel). We are annual Disney visitors since my oldest was 2, though we took a couple years break with the whole Covid thing. Went back last year and fell in love all over again.

The MISSION: DIY Mickey Ears in lots of varities.

I'm need your help and input! For those that have made these, I'm looking for suggestions on where to gather the materials for adult-sized heads, including the headbands themselves, fabric, and accessories as needed. When I have researched this online at JoAnn's and Hobby Lobby, etc, you have to buy far more fabric than I'll ever need for one or two pairs in each design. Where do you get your fabric? Absolutely any tips, pointers and suggestions are more than welcome! Just looking for a little pre-trip bonding activity with the girls to help build the hype and thought this would be a fun add-on as we have never worn Mickey Ears otherwise!

You can buy per-yard fabric at Joann's, Hobby Lobby and other places in as small as 1/8 yard (in-store)... that may help with the amounts. You can also look for fat quarters (Walmart has quite a few of these, even some in Disney fabrics), or, if you need a very small amount, look online for "tumbler cuts" - those are usually 9-in. x 14 in. cuts of fabric.

If you're looking for Disney fabric in small amounts, go to Etsy.com and search for Disney fabric... many of them will be available in tumbler cuts or fat quarters.

Personally, for adult headbands to build on, I'd go to Walmart (or similar) in the hair accessories section and try something like Goodie - I'd certainly want something that was comfortable to wear. If you want really inexpensive, maybe look at Dollar Tree? I'm pretty sure you can get headbands in the craft sections of Joann's or Hobby Lobby, too. Look near the beads and that sort of thing. They'll also have trim/ribbons near the fabrics if you want them to embellish.

If you want ideas, definitely search Etsy for Mickey ears - there are a lot of people that make and sell them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter