Showtime Picnic at Sea World?

Sally_fan

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done this (or seen people who have)? The food included in the picnic is listed on Sea World's site & sounds okay to us but I was wondering what kind of reserved seating they give you. Seeing as we only have 1 day to see everything, we are thinking that it would be nice to have lunch while watching the show but if the seats are not any good then we will pass & look into one of the other "dine with Shamu" options. It will be myself, DH, DS who is 8 & DD who is 5. Thanks for any input anyone might have to offer!

We visted SW on April 7th - a fairly crowded day during spring break, I had orignally made reservations for the picnic but not knowing where the seats were I changed the reservation to Dining with Shamu instead. I'm soooooo glad I did! We had table #7 - right next to the tank and platform - the whales were sooo close and we were able to ask all our questions of the trainers. The food was great too, lots of choices for kids and cute chocolate covered Shamu cookies!

We booked a 2:O0pm lunch and watched the 1pm Shamu show and then lined up - it worked out great. After the late lunch (all u can eat) we just snacked for dinner.

If you can afford it - it's a must do!

Enjoy your trip!

we actually did breakfast with shamu....and then went to see the show since the show is nothing like the breakfast. There the trainers talk to you have the whales do some tricks and so forth but it is NOT the show BELIEVE that is shown later.

Thank you for your replies!

We wanted to do the breakfast or lunch with Shamu, (nope, $$ isn't an issue) but thought it might take up too much time. Did you guys find that you still had plenty of time to do the rest of the park without rushing? The picnic would kill 2 birds with 1 stone, so to speak. You eat lunch while you watch Believe. Hmmmm....decisions, decisions!

I booked the picnic & then emailed SeaWorld to ask about the seating. They said that there are no bad seats but they also did say that "It is higher up in the stadium as so that your food does not get wet". Will that be an issue? Is there still a good view from the higher seats?

Now we just have to decide.......

we had plenty of time to conquer the rest of what we wanted to see and that was after breakfast and then the show at 1. We sat in soak zone during the show.......would have preferred being up higher!!!!!!!!!!!!! I believe all seats are good! i think the breakfast or lunch just gives you an added touch to the show....although really neat...not something I would do again.

We are booked for the Shamu picnic in late may and will let everyone know how it goes. Looking forward to it for the price we had to pay for lunch and seating.

We did the picnic dining in Oct. The food was pretty good, deli sandwiches for the adults, hot dogs for the kids. I failed to do the research though and thought that the picnic was in a separate area than the stadium seating. There is an area of seating for the picnic, but it is on the aluminum seats along with the rest of the audience. But for the cheaper price, I suppose it was worth it. We enjoyed it.

CaliforniaDreamin.....is there any where to place the food & drinks on at all? Or do you have to hold it on your lap? :confused:

I really like the idea of being able to eat WHILE watching the show. That is the big draw for us.

crasher11, we will be there in late May as well. It'll be interesting to read about what you thought of it! I'll make sure to post my thoughts as well.

CaliforniaDreamin

crasher11, we will be there in late May as well. It'll be interesting to read about what you thought of it! I'll make sure to post my thoughts as well.

Yes can't wait to hear what you thought of it as well. We are counting the days down very slowly :) Have a great trip !!!!!

CaliforniaDreamin.....is there any where to place the food & drinks on at all? Or do you have to hold it on your lap? :confused:

I really like the idea of being able to eat WHILE watching the show. That is the big draw for us.

You hold it in your lap while you eat, but it's not teally bothersome. They hand you your food in a clear plastic container and you just set it on your lap while you eat. I think the drinks were bottled soft drinks> the sandwiches were good and it"s a great way to kill two birds with one stone (you don't have to plan a meal break and stop touring). We would probably do it again :)

That sounds good to me! We're going to try it.
Thanks to everyone for all of your help! :thumbsup2

Oh & crasher11....you guys have a great trip too! :)

Hope you all have a great time, and though this has nothing to do with the picnic, be sure to get to the Sea Lion and Otter show about 5-10 minutes before the show starts. Trust me, it's worth it :thumbsup2

We did this mid-May. It was fun. The food was a lot better than I had expected. The kids got cute Shamu containers with their meals. We got croissant sandwhiches and fruit. This was one of the few meals during the entire vacation that everyone ate their food. There was a reserved section just above the isle of the "splash zone" for us to sit. We arrived about 20 min. early and got seats on the front row. This was really worth it for us as we only had 1 day to see everything and this killed 2 birds with one stone.

thanks for the info! I'm going to look into this as it seems so convenient to eat lunch AND watch the show at the same time!:)

Thanks to everyone who added their 2cents to this thread (I was the OP)! Sounds to me like the picnic is a really good idea!

We didn't end up doing the picnic as our plans changed at the last minute & because we were able to extend our vacation by 2 days :yay: , we ended up going on a Saturday rather than a Monday. We had to cancel the original reservation & we were not able to get a reservation for new day. We did really enjoy our time at Sea World though & I look forward to reading the rest of the responses!

To everyone who has yet to go.....have a GREAT trip!! We sure did!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter