Sick people in parks.....

There is a cough and there is a coughing til you about puke cough. The second should not be in public.
And people should never be so rude as to go in public if they are very sick.

A cough does not mean someone is contagious. They could have allergies, asthma, or their water went down the wrong way. You can't kick people out of somewhere for coughing.

No they don't turn anyone away.

I endured a man coughing, basically on my right shoulder and arm, the entire trip from Saratoga to Magic Kingdom.

I kept my head turned away and sprayed down my shoulder and arm when he got off of the bus. Then I washed my hands and side of my face when I got to the first restroom.

Last edited:
Last Thursday we had the exact same thing on the bus to MK. IF THEY TOOK A COUGH SUPPRESSANT IT WOULD HELP ALOT, ALSO COUGH IN THEIR SLEEVE OR ELBOW NOT RIGHT ON OTHERS. We were sitting down. I zipped my head inside my sweatshirt and stayed that way untill everyone was off the bus. I did not get sick but hubby did. I looked it up and this strain of flu has an incubation period of 2 days. 2 days after that bus ride we were on the plane home and hubby got first symptoms.
I know. My 3 year old does a better job at covering her mouth when she coughs. We got fast passes to the Nemo show that my daughter was dying to see. When we sat down in the theater, some older couple sat down in front of us where the old man just started hacking. My daughter who has no filter yells out “cover your mouth when you cough.” Everyone laughs except for the old man who continues to coughs, sniff and hack up all sorts of goodies. We got up and left. Told the CM at the door what happened and they gave us fast passes to the next show.

Last Thursday we had the exact same thing on the bus to MK. IF THEY TOOK A COUGH SUPPRESSANT IT WOULD HELP ALOT, ALSO COUGH IN THEIR SLEEVE OR ELBOW NOT RIGHT ON OTHERS. We were sitting down. I zipped my head inside my sweatshirt and stayed that way untill everyone was off the bus. I did not get sick but hubby did. I looked it up and this strain of flu has an incubation period of 2 days. 2 days after that bus ride we were on the plane home and hubby got first symptoms.
Obviously getting sick sucks. But without tracking down and testing patient zero you have no idea who actually got your husband sick. I'm sure you had thousands of interactions with people not just on the bus, not just at the parks, not just at the resort, etc.

Did your husband go to the doctor to get fully diagnosed? Especially with you looking up what strain of flu (how do you know what strain he had?) and the incubation period, etc.

I know. My 3 year old does a better job at covering her mouth when she coughs. We got fast passes to the Nemo show that my daughter was dying to see. When we sat down in the theater, some older couple sat down in front of us where the old man just started hacking. My daughter who has no filter yells out “cover your mouth when you cough.” Everyone laughs except for the old man who continues to coughs, sniff and hack up all sorts of goodies. We got up and left. Told the CM at the door what happened and they gave us fast passes to the next show.
I'm sure it was disgusting. It doesn't matter if he was contagious or not. You do not go to a show to listen to someone hack their way through it. Just like I did not get on the bus to have someone cough on me the entire trip. (No joke, he coughed the entire trip.)

I've been to Disney with a cough. I was well passed being contagious, according to my doctor. But I took cough medicine, daily, and covered my mouth/face when I coughed. I didn't go to any shows and I always carried water to relieve the cough. I took great pains to not bother anyone with it.

Obviously getting sick sucks. But without tracking down and testing patient zero you have no idea who actually got your husband sick. I'm sure you had thousands of interactions with people not just on the bus, not just at the parks, not just at the resort, etc.

Did your husband go to the doctor to get fully diagnosed? Especially with you looking up what strain of flu (how do you know what strain he had?) and the incubation period, etc.
I think you make a very good point. I'm finding with this flu season especially, there are a lot of people saying that they have "the flu" but without being properly tested/diagnosed, it could be any number of viruses that are the cause of their symptoms. When my kids were younger, they both got very sick and were unwell for over a week and I was certain it was the flu but it turned out to be just another nasty virus. This time of year, there are so many different illnesses floating about that without proper testing, it's really difficult to say definitively that one has the flu. That being said, I definitely don't think that it is cool for someone who is acutely ill to visit the parks and spread the joy around, and I definitely wouldn't be okay with someone coughing all over me :).

Boy people get nasty here.

Also wanted to add that a sweatshirt wouldn't prevent anyone from contracting the flu. Their is no barrier. A virus is microscopic and will easily pass through a sweatshirt. Even medical grade masks have limitations because the moisture from your breath makes them less effective over time.

But motion sickness isn't contagious.
Exactly. I can understand drinking a bit too much in Epcot and letting it go in a trashcan or getting sick on a ride but dragging yourself and your family into the parks knowing you are sick just to save a little bit of $$ is not right. That is what travel insurance is for.

How was that nasty? It was spot on. People often blame Person X for something, when they have no idea where they picked up a bug. Just like people with stomach problems at Disney are so quick to go "I got food poisoning from" insert last restaurant they were at.
The point is to avoid public places if you are ill or showing signs of having the flu. I bet you are one of those who says "well someone gave it to me so I don't care if someone gets sick from what I have." No one is going to locate patient zero or have culture test to see what strain they have. There is one thing not knowing you are sick and then there is someone who is deliberately spreading whatever illness they have because they do not care.

I give rinny a lot of credit. If someone coughed in my daughters/wifes face, there would have been an altercation.

The point is to avoid public places if you are ill or showing signs of having the flu. I bet you are one of those who says "well someone gave it to me so I don't care if someone gets sick from what I have." No one is going to locate patient zero or have culture test to see what strain they have. There is one thing not knowing you are sick and then there is someone who is deliberately spreading whatever illness they have because they do not care.

I give rinny a lot of credit. If someone coughed in my daughters/wifes face, there would have been an altercation.
The PP made it sound like cause and effect occured with a coughing person on a bus.

I was asking if they went to the doctor to get fully diagnosed (as they mentioned they looked up the strain and incubation period) and pointed out that they have had thousands of interactions with people. That's a practical comment. It would be hard to actually ascertain that the person coughing on the bus is the person who made them sick and unless you went to a doctor to get tested to get a diagnosis you wouldn't be able to know exactly what strain you had.

I wasn't commenting about the icky factor of a person coughing on you, going to the parks when you are sick,etc in regards to that PP nor was I being nasty.

You would lose your bet. I have asthma so I have no patience for people who know they are sick and go out. But pointing at one person and blaming them, that is wrong. We all come in contact with oodles of people, especially on a trip to WDW. And you have no way of knowing if that sneeze or cough from the person next to you was allergies or an illness. Could be you touched an infected hand rail and then you face without thinking.

And security would laugh in your face while hauling you away if you started a fight with another person because they coughed on your family member.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!