Signature Restaurants Solo

vincep

Mouseketeer
Have any people done signature restaurants alone? Did you feel awkward? Did you feel you were being noticed by others? How did waitstaff treat you? Maybe with slower service or brusqueness?
I'm especially interested in places like Cellier where people are pretty much on top of one another, California Grill at fireworks time and Flying Fish. Did you feel like a second class citizen? Did you give an overly generous tip? Hey even a 1 credit very popular place like Homecoming. Even if you had an ADR(I prefer sitting at a table) did they try to steer you towards the bar?

I felt that the woman who wrote about Artist's Point was not treated well with the table she was given.

Anybody do V and A alone? Did you reserve it for one? How was the service? That to me takes super courage. Like a bungee jump from a very high bridge. I went many years ago with my parents. $100 per person without wine pairings. One of the best meals I've ever had.
Thanks for any observations.

The only signature meal where I can speak to solo dining is Be Our Guest last April on a random Monday night. (I've also dined at Tony's Town Square solo and I'll probably be going to Skipper Canteen solo in a few months.) I tend to make a point to visit MK solo when I'm in Orlando for a conference.

I did not feel awkward at Be Our Guest or Tony's. I'm a successful woman in my 40's and I occasionally travel for work, I'm going to have to dine alone sometimes. (Though I do prefer to go out with DH. With the kids not so much...) :P

I have no idea if other people noticed me, but my waiter was very attentive and kept my wine glass full. There was nothing slow or rude about the service at all. I feel that in both cases I has a table in a good location that would normally go to a couple.

I'm sure I tipped as I normally would for good service - 20%. BTW, I have Tables In Wonderland so those meals have an automatic 18% tip.

Be brave.

I've eaten at many of them solo and didn't have any different experience then when I go with my son. I go out to eat by myself at home and like to travel to other places solo so it's not a big deal. I've never been treated any different, if anything I get treated a little more special when solo. I have had the chef come out and talk to me at HBD just because, I don't have any special diet requirements. I have my kindle ap on my phone and usually will read after I've given my order. Before I order I look over the menu and people watch. I've been to V&A but not solo, I would think it would be a pretty fun experience then they pamper heck out of you when you are when someone, I would think they would pay special attention to solo. My only advice would be if you aren't used to going out to eat solo, do it at home at some place you are familiar with first.

I had dinner at Topolinos solo last week. My friends were flying in late that night and I wanted to check it out. I didn’t feel awkward at all.

I've done solo at a couple of signatures but have sat at the bar- specifically at California Grill and Narcoossee's. I know not everyone enjoys eating at the bar and you can definitely sit at a table; its just a personal preference. I personally enjoy how the bartenders are able to make the drinks for tables while at the same time engaging in conversation.

I don’t think I have dined solo at a signature restaurant yet, but I have an ADR for California Grill for my next trip. I have dined solo at several other TS restaurants at WDW, though, and didn’t feel awkward. I didn’t feel like I was noticed by others, but I wouldn’t care if they did notice me. The wait staffs have always treated me well. I tipped appropriately (20 percent or a bit more for great service); I didn’t give an overly generous tip simply because I was dining alone. I have never been steered toward the bar or a lounge and if I made an ADR would not agree to sit there.

Regarding getting bad tables, someone’s going to get them. It might be you, it might be someone else. My table locations have been fine and, as a matter of fact, both times that I dined solo at Sanaa I was seated next to the window.

I agree with the previous poster who suggested that you dine by yourself at home before going to increase your comfort level.

Have any people done signature restaurants alone? Did you feel awkward? Did you feel you were being noticed by others? How did waitstaff treat you? Maybe with slower service or brusqueness?
I have done most of them solo. Never felt awkward. Never felt I was being noticed by others. The waitstaff have always treated me well. No slower service, never any brusqueness.
I'm especially interested in places like Cellier where people are pretty much on top of one another, California Grill at fireworks time and Flying Fish. Did you feel like a second class citizen? Did you give an overly generous tip? Hey even a 1 credit very popular place like Homecoming. Even if you had an ADR(I prefer sitting at a table) did they try to steer you towards the bar?
I've had great experiences at Le Cellier but in the last few years (since 2014) the food has gone downhill as has the service. Not solo specific, just in general. California Grill for fireworks is wonderful. As is Flying Fish - no issues at all. I never felt like a second class citizen. I have never given an overly generous tip. And no, they have never tried to steer me toward the bar at any restaurant.

Anybody do V and A alone? Did you reserve it for one? How was the service?
I don't it twice. I reserved for one. The service was excellent.

I am going to V & A solo in Feb. and I am a little nervous but very excited to go.

I felt that the woman who wrote about Artist's Point was not treated well with the table she was given.

Anybody do V and A alone? Did you reserve it for one? How was the service? That to me takes super courage. Like a bungee jump from a very high bridge. I went many years ago with my parents. $100 per person without wine pairings. One of the best meals I've ever had.
Thanks for any observations.

I also went to Artisit Point solo and I felt awkward. Food was amazing but felt weird waiting for characters to come to my table

6 solo trips and a bunch of solo ADRs at all kinds of restaurants and I have never felt awkward or been treated poorly. On the contrary, I've had some great CM servers, and even those who weren't standouts were courteous and professional.

If any guests have ever "noticed" me or given me a "look," I've never seen it. I think the vast majority of people are too busy with their own groups to care about a solo person eating in a restaurant. Now if you start dancing on the table or yelling at the waiter or throwing food... yeah, people will notice.

At Jiko, I was asked if I would prefer to be seated at the counter or a table; I said table please and had a nice location (food and service both very good). That is the only time anywhere I have not just automatically been shown to a table; no conversation about bar seating or attempt to steer me there.

I did Le Cellier several years ago; it was ok but not my favorite. I much preferred Yachtsman's Steakhouse nearby, food, service and atmosphere. Ate at Flying Fish before the remodel and it was great on all points; haven't been since the remodel. Cali Grill is on my short list to try someday but haven't made it yet. Haven't done V&A.

I have not done Artist Point since the character meal started. I have done character breakfasts at Tusker House and Hollywood & Vine and had a great time - I actually went to H&V for the Disney Jr characters (Doc, Sofia, Manny & Jake) and everyone was super sweet and welcoming.

If there is anywhere you want to try, go for it!!

Thanks for your responses. I've wondered how solo diners have felt and how they were treated at the 2 credit restaurants. A lot of the awkwardness I think is in myself. I did Ohana solo and it was fine but rushed. But that's become the standard there for everyone it seems. No need to feel singled out.

I would feel comfortable being solo at a causal table service restaurant and reading on a kindle or phone while I eat. Not sure why, but I feel that if I was reading while eating at a more upscale restaurant that would somehow be rude? I certainly wouldn't find it rude if someone else was doing it, so maybe I'm being overly sensitive. Just siting there eating with no companion and nothing to look at other than my food or the other guests would be more awkward for me! Other than that one issue, I think the experience would be fine and you should do it!

I have dined several times at Le Cellier solo. You are on top of each other, which can be good and bad...I have had lovely chats with those beside me but it can be a bit awkward...but no difference in service or food. Brown derby was one of my best solo experiences ever as the waiter was very chatty and provided me with several recipes for my favorite dishes! I have not dined at V&A but would love to do the chefs table...

I travel solo and I like great restaurants so I end up eating at signature restaurants solo a lot. I've generally had ADRs, although a couple of times I've just turned up and been lucky to get a seat.

If the place has a bar then sometimes I'm asked if I prefer to sit at the bar or at a table, but I've never felt I'm being steered towards a particular choice - usually I opt for a table, but sometimes the bar is nice.

I've not yet done California Grill solo at fireworks time but got that booked for May. I've done V&A solo in the Queen Victoria room - that did feel slightly odd when I walked in because it's 4 tables which each sit 2 people. But after a few minutes I forgot about that and just enjoyed the amazing meal.

I've never felt I've received poor service because I was solo - if anything I feel I've probably received better service. I tip normally (20%), but sometimes a bit more if I feel the service was exceptional (like at V&A).

I'm going solo this year to WDW for the first time. At first I was worried about the solo dining, but having lived in NYC many years, solo dining is nothing new.

I feared seeing happy families and wishing my siblings or parents were with me, but honestly I think I'll be so happy to be back I will brush the thought aside.

My only dining I worry about is Toplinos and a Paddlefish or Morimotos if I can snag those reservations. Seems like more social settings and I'll just be there chowing down 😂

Have enjoyed 2 signature dining experiences solo - Jiko and Yachtsman - and treated very well by the waitstaff. Have dined at 1 credit Homecomin' 3x solo and always treated very well.

I'll be very honest and explain that I have had some less than wonderful 1 credit dining experiences where being a solo guest was the issue with the server. ie perceived lower tip at the table as opposed to a 4 top. I know this was the problem because each time the server was loudly protesting my table to the seat assignor as I waited for my meal and I could hear every word. But in every case, it wasn't personal but the server's frustration with table assignment. Of course, this did not make for a great dining experience for me when dealing with a cold and unpleasant server. This happened at Yak & Yeti and strangely enough at buffet restaurants like Trails End and Boma. I doubt the problem was with the restaurant but the personality of the server. No doubt a party of 2 may have had the same experience. The other less than great situation was the old Beaches and Cream restaurant where, despite my ADR, at least 3 x I was always seated at the counter and never at a table despite my willingness to wait for a table to open up. I suspect this policy has improved with the recent reopening and more seating now available.

Like PPs have mentioned, be brave and eat wherever you want. Bad service happens to everyone and not just solo diners. If you like the menu, take the chance, stick with a table and not be pushed to the bar, and enjoy your food. There's an old saying, "you can't control what others do to you, but you can control how you react to it." Keep your expectations in check and make the most out of being at WDW. I've enjoyed all of my meals solo at WDW for the past 7 years so odds are I've seen some of the best and the worst. Because of the number of solo meals I've chalked up, I was bound to have some cringy experiences. But 95% of my solo dining experiences have been decent to wonderful.

Last edited:
I have dined several times at Le Cellier solo. You are on top of each other, which can be good and bad...I have had lovely chats with those beside me but it can be a bit awkward...but no difference in service or food. Brown derby was one of my best solo experiences ever as the waiter was very chatty and provided me with several recipes for my favorite dishes! I have not dined at V&A but would love to do the chefs table...

I've had lunch at Brown Derby twice and had the nicest waitresses! I'm not booked there this trip but would be happy to go back.

Thanks again for all of your contributions. Helpful and very interesting. Very surprised about Trail's End. My concern is that the more upscale the restaurant the more resentful the server might be getting a lower tip than he/she might get with two people at that same table.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!