Since the Hawaii cruises are so popular

Any reason why it did so bad? Was it during school time and the cruise was too long for kids to be out of school that time of year?

it was school time. Other than that no idea why it sold so bad. I would of thought it would of sold great. That was the first time DCL had a one way Hawaii cruise.

It was September 7th and September 17th, so less than a month after the school year started. AFAIK it also sold out quickly, raising prices, and then people dropped it en masse. By then the hype train had left the building and people had probably made other plans/assumed they would do more the next year anyway and they could get in at opening day prices. Surprise! They didn't...

Also, they have to have the port contracts to Hawaii, and they may not be able to get many in the seasons they want.

Some speculation has that, if it were offered more, it wouldn't sell out as much.

That's probably true, but they would be able to fill multiple ships, since it is so popular. They have multiple options for other itineraries, why not Hawaii?

Well, DCL seems to be doing Hawaii one-way cruises now. They could schedule another set in the fall, I believe, with not a lot of problem.

I'm not impressed with the April Vancouver/Honolulu one way. 4 days at sea and only 3 ports. I loved the round trip out of San Pedro they did initially. But, I guess, they feel the one way cruises are monetarily more profitable.

With the Passenger Vessel Services act, don't they have to stop at/and or travel from at least one foreign port in the itinerary?

For example, If you look at the round trip sailings that Carnival does out of Los Angeles, they Go from LA to Hawaii and then stop in Mexico on the way back.

With the Passenger Vessel Services act, don't they have to stop at/and or travel from at least one foreign port in the itinerary?

For example, If you look at the round trip sailings that Carnival does out of Los Angeles, they Go from LA to Hawaii and then stop in Mexico on the way back.

Yes the round trip Hawaii cruises from say LA have to stop at a foreign port, so Mexico qualifies.

I imagine it's a certain group of people who can do the 15 night cruises to/from Hawaii but the one way cruises are more popular (people can tack on a stay in Hawaii before or after)

that is one of the reasons they homeport Vancouver for these.

The PVSA applies to cruises that start in one US port and end in a different one, or start and end in the same US port. Since the current DCL Hawaii offerings start in Vancouver the PVSA doesn't apply.

I wish they'd do a few cruises around the islands (like NCL) rather than RT. Too many sea days for us! And I wish they'd offer some summer cruises. Maybe when the Wish starts cruising some of the Panama Canal, Hawaii, longer Southern Caribbean cruises will be in the summer (not necessarily the Wish, don't care about which ship). ETA: Oh...forgot about the foreign port thing. :sad:

I wish they'd do a few cruises around the islands (like NCL) rather than RT. Too many sea days for us! And I wish they'd offer some summer cruises. Maybe when the Wish starts cruising some of the Panama Canal, Hawaii, longer Southern Caribbean cruises will be in the summer (not necessarily the Wish, don't care about which ship). ETA: Oh...forgot about the foreign port thing. :sad:
Well, they can't do cruises around the islands, unless it's part of a longer cruise from (most likely) Vancouver. Legally the ship cannot sail to US ports only.

They could go around... :boat: Mostly kidding, that takes a LONG time. Although they aren't doing much right now anyway... :scratchin

I wonder how easy it is for DCL to get port time in Hawaii.. isn't that usually a large factor? That and cutting too deeply into prime Alaska time?
Port time should be relatively easy. I lived on Maui for 1/2 of my life. It was/is exciting to see any ships other than the Pride of America (the only US flagged cruise ship) come into port. There's also port/tender options on each island if they wanted to dock in smaller more touristy towns (eg Lahaina instead of Kahului, etc).
I just wish cruise lines will do more Pacific coast itineraries. Maybe a San Diego, Ensenada more because They have to, then head up north stopping in LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver Island, and Vancouver. They could do an overnight in LA that would allow Disneyland. It will save time and money to do a West Coast trip without having to drive or fly. But these are rare, I believe Disney only does one and other cruise lines also a rarity. I don’t get How West Coast sailings either focus mainly on Alaska or Mexico. It must be demand because many people are willing to pay those prices for Alaska.There’s so much to see in the US West Coast and it’s completely doable with stops in Canada and Mexico.
I would love to see more Pacific Coast sailings but DCL tried to do a series of them in 2012 and they did NOT sell well. That was my cheapest cruise, we booked last minute and paid less than $1K for my DS and I for 7 nights (we were persons #2 and #3 in the room, but still ...). If I recall correctly, that one started in LA, went up to Vancouver, stopped in SF sailing under the Golden Gate. Since we like that type of itinerary we usually book the Repos. A lot of people at the time blamed low bookings on the lack of advertising in SoCal as well as the fact that it was shoulder season when the kids were in school. At the time, my DS could miss school since it was K, but it would be a lot harder to book a 7 nighter in Sept/Oct now that he's moving into HS next year.

I just wish cruise lines will do more Pacific coast itineraries. Maybe a San Diego, Ensenada more because They have to, then head up north stopping in LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver Island, and Vancouver. They could do an overnight in LA that would allow Disneyland. It will save time and money to do a West Coast trip without having to drive or fly. But these are rare, I believe Disney only does one and other cruise lines also a rarity. I don’t get How West Coast sailings either focus mainly on Alaska or Mexico. It must be demand because many people are willing to pay those prices for Alaska.There’s so much to see in the US West Coast and it’s completely doable with stops in Canada and Mexico.

There are many who would love more Pacific Coast cruises. Especially between San Diego and Canada.

Any reason why it did so bad? Was it during school time and the cruise was too long for kids to be out of school that time of year?
I'm very curious about this as well. The current Hawaii cruises are during school time so it's impossible for us to go. It would be nice if they shortened the Alaska season and added more Hawaii later in May.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter