Single Parent - Fly or Drive?

We usually fly. We will drive on some occasions if flights are just too $$ for 4 people but thats rare. Its about 14-15 hours from Ohio.. I can do that easy in one day...we leave at 0400. Get there about...9 pm ish.
We wont do trains or a bus. for all the obvious reasons. Its fly or drive. and it all depends on $$

We wont do trains or a bus. for all the obvious reasons
I can understand avoiding buses, or even a standard train trip. But the Auto Train out of Lorton is relatively convenient to the OP, and she would have her own car. There is even the flexibility of driving one way, taking the train home.

I can understand avoiding buses, or even a standard train trip. But the Auto Train out of Lorton is relatively convenient to the OP, and she would have her own car. There is even the flexibility of driving one way, taking the train home.
I have heard the auto train has private rooms. Not sure how many people they fit and I’m sure they aren’t too big but one could drive down and then auto train it back. A lot of motorcyclist from Florida will auto train to come north to drive their bikes on the blue ridge parkway. It saves them from the long drive up and back on a motorcycle.

I would fly. By the time you do all that driving by yourself it can make you tired. Not to mention you are wasting 4 days of your vacation just in driving to and from Orlando. Not to mention the wear and tear on your car. What if there is an accident and you are caught in a back up or a downpour that slows you down. You would have to time it so you miss rush hour in major cities. I would rather arrive well rested and ready to enjoy my vacation. I have read a hand full of trip reports where people had mechanical issues with their vehicles on their way to Disney. They then had to find a repair shop and a hotel for an night or two while the repair was made.

Last edited:

I have heard the auto train has private rooms. Not sure how many people they fit and I’m sure they aren’t too big but one could drive down and then auto train it back. A lot of motorcyclist from Florida will auto train to come north to drive their bikes on the blue ridge parkway. It saves them from the long drive up and back on a motorcycle.

OP I would fly :)

Auto train can be pricey - even in coach! Honestly I wouldn't travel in coach as a single parent as there are people moving from train to train even during the overnight and you can't sit with both kids (seating is 2/2). One way the coach seats run just over 100 each and the sleeper cars start at about 600 for 2 and run upwards from there (I priced a family sleeper for 3 at 843 one way in July). Then add the cost of the car starting at 200 for a compact.

If you don't absolutely need your own car flying is almost always cheaper.

Last edited:
If flying Spirit of Frontier, I would go on their site and price out the tickets. They have add-ons that the traditional airlines don't charge for. I have priced out Spirit and Frontier out of a couple local airports. By the time I add on my luggage, carry on and seat selection, it costs about the same as United.

This. The difference between the Southwest cost and the Spirit cost, once factoring in Spirit's additional fees, may be a negligible difference. If that ends up being the case, you could just fly Southwest and then each of you can bring two checked bags for free.

Flip a coin.
Time spent on the road is additional days, it won't reduce the number if days in Orlando. OP wants to visit people in Tampa. Probably should add the cost of a one day rental to the cost of flying.
I'd fly but you can make a good case for either decision. I'd feel a lot better about driving if one of the kids was old enough to drive.

Flip a coin.
Time spent on the road is additional days, it won't reduce the number if days in Orlando. OP wants to visit people in Tampa. Probably should add the cost of a one day rental to the cost of flying.
I'd fly but you can make a good case for either decision. I'd feel a lot better about driving if one of the kids was old enough to drive.
I would fly, too strenuous for one driver. I agree with Lewisc, if one of your kids was capable of driving, might be different. I am thinking "worst case scenario" if God Forbid, you became ill driving down or back, then what? Additionally, the comments about a mechanical issue driving down or back is a worthwhile comment. Just isn't worth the uncertainty.:scared1:

There are 2 different ways to do the drive (or any driving trip!). You can go somewhat commando, trying to get there in the least amount of time that's reasonable and only stopping for meals and to stretch your legs. If you're going to drive like that, then I'd just fly if the only savings is $200. The other way is to make the drive itself an adventure. Pick a few places to explore each day, either by making a few 2-3 hour stops or by driving until mid-afternoon and then spending the rest of the day at your fun destination. It won't necessarily be cheaper than flying, but it lets you have the car and pack more without the drive being miserable. If your kids are old enough, have them do some research and help pick the places you'll stop and explore so that they're excited about that, too.

Another thing to take into account is how old your kids are. For littler ones who are more likely to get worn out by the extra days, not be able to amuse themselves as well in the car, and get thrown off schedule easily, I'd fly. For older kids and teens you could go either way.

Whichever you decide, have a great time!

I would never put my child's transportation in the hands of Spirit Airlines. Period. I'd drive, walk, or stay home first. I'm a single mom and always fly to destinations, but I would never choose such an unreliable carrier.

Don't only look at Southwest. They're not really a budget airline anymore (except on a few select routes). Check the legacy carrier's fares, too. Their no-frills fares are often lower than Southwest's.

Last edited:
Single Parent traveling to WDW from DC area - fly or drive? We have APs this year and I'm taking my girls on a "bonus" summer trip. I was set on driving, but now am entertaining the idea of flying.....

We've taken plenty of road trips on our own, but this would be the first overnight one and I'm getting cold feet on how it all will go. I did a 13 hour drive in one day a couple of years ago and it was rough by the end, I was in a lot of pain in my neck, back and arms. It's about a 14 hour drive with no stops, so I'm guessing about 18-20 hours with stops and summer traffic.

Gas would be about $200 roundtrip and I'm figuring $150 a night for a hotel room and I'd need one each way, so $300 in hotel costs. $500 total

I can fly us there for $712 all in including all fees. Catch is on the way home we'd have to fly Spirit. I'm a Southwest loyalist, so this is tough for me, but I can't beat $64 flights. How terrible is Spirit really for a 2 hour flight? We're all on summer break, so nothing to rush home to if our flight got canceled.

Having our car would be nice, we are planning on hitting up water parks and also visiting my family near Tampa, but they will come and pick us up if we need.

WWYD? Is the convenience of flying worth the extra $200?

Hopefully you have AAA in case of any car issues if you drive. Also, if you do have AAA, you should be able to get a hotel room for around $100 along I-95. We have driven before and never paid more then $100 a night for a room. There are always those coupon books at rest areas that have coupons in them that offer the cheapest rates. I know you can't wait til the last minute to book but I believe they have a website. Try googling I-95 hotel coupon book. I have used them before.

We have taken the auto train a few times. Only once did we not have the family bedroom, only seats. TBH, I wouldn't ever go on a train again to Florida with just seats, we found it torturous. Family bedroom was OK BUT decided that flying is so much easier and costs around the same as the train with the bedroom.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!