Single rider + child swap

chevab2020

Earning My Ears
I've tried searching for this, but I haven't found an exact answer. Is it possible to combine the single rider line (like Rock 'n' Roller at HS) with a child swap? I've seen people say that there is no reason to do this as each parent can just go through the faster single rider line separately. However, here is my reason for wanting to do this (aside from the fact that fastpass line might be faster than single rider): I have a 10-year-old who can ride Rock 'n' Roller and younger children who can't. My 10-year-old is allowed to ride single rider but may be too scared to do so. My thought was to send my husband throught the single rider line and get child swap for me, and then since child swap comes with 3 riders, I could then take my 10-year-old with me through the fastpass line with the child swap. Would this work? Do they give out child swaps at the single rider line? If so, can those swaps be used in the fastpass lane? Thanks in advance.

Should be no problem - just go to do the swap as normal saying you're waiting first, and he can just tell the CM he's going to use the single rider line. A swap pass is a swap pass so when he's out you can go through FP. (My kids aged out before they moved to digital so it might be that both you and the 10 year old need to get the swap put on your bands - I'm not clear whether the swap goes on everyone riding in the 2nd group or just the one person who can then bring two with them).

I am not so sure it will work. My friends and I tried to get a rider swap for me at Radiator Springs Racers while I sat with the too short kid while they went single rider and they said no and that the single rider line was short anyway, so I could just ride that way after them. I did not end up riding as I had been many times and they had just gotten passes, so I sat with their little guy while they rode and said I was ok skipping since I have ridden many times. Worst you can do is ask and be told no. But why not just get a fastpass for it?

Thanks to you both. I might do a FP for it, I just thought if I couldn’t get one or if I could use the FP for other rides then this would be a good way to do the ride quickly. I guess we’ll see what’s available when I make my selections. It seems like whether this approach would work depends on whether the rider switches are given out before the parent has to decide which line to enter, is that right?

Its been a while but I was not able to get a RS at TT using the single rider line, I didn't try any others.

This seems like it wouldn’t be included in rider switch, since the first group is not actually waiting for the ride by way of standby or securing a FP, but I can’t say with certainty whether or not it would work.

Incase you haven’t heard, there has been a major tier shifting at DHS. RnRC (and everything besides SDD and MFSR) are in tier 2, so a FP for RnRC may be easier for you now.

I would try to get fast passes. I understand your reasoning but you’re kind of gaming the system. You don’t need a swap in that situation and youre just using it so you don’t have to wait on line with a ten year old which is unfair to everyone else. If you legitimately couldn’t wait because of the toddler that’s a different story but that’s not the case here at all.

I would try to get fast passes. I understand your reasoning but you’re kind of gaming the system. You don’t need a swap in that situation and youre just using it so you don’t have to wait on line with a ten year old which is unfair to everyone else. If you legitimately couldn’t wait because of the toddler that’s a different story but that’s not the case here at all.

Single rider lines are standby lines. They’re just standby lines for single riders enabling more efficient loading of attractions. As others have noted - single rider can be as long as standby. No one is gaming anything. Frankly, whether a cast member allows it or not, it’s far more efficient for single riders to be in a single rider line. All it does is eliminate the need for cast members walking up and down the line asking for single riders to fill spots. I know many CMs will allow a single rider using rider swap to use the single rider line. But as with everything - CMs can do whatever they want. But it is 100% not gaming the system doing it that way - especially at RnR where the single rider line is often pretty long.

Single rider lines are standby lines. They’re just standby lines for single riders enabling more efficient loading of attractions. As others have noted - single rider can be as long as standby. No one is gaming anything. Frankly, whether a cast member allows it or not, it’s far more efficient for single riders to be in a single rider line. All it does is eliminate the need for cast members walking up and down the line asking for single riders to fill spots. I know many CMs will allow a single rider using rider swap to use the single rider line. But as with everything - CMs can do whatever they want. But it is 100% not gaming the system doing it that way - especially at RnR where the single rider line is often pretty long.

Except the poster clearly says that she believes the single rider line is faster. So it is an attempt to get away with not waiting as long. The last time I used this single rider line, my wait was like 5 minutes so it is entirely possible that is what the poster is used to seeing.

Thank you all. I have never used the single rider line, so I have no expectations about how long it takes. My assumption was it's shorter, otherwise why would anyone ever use it? You are right, it is kind of "gaming the system," although if it's allowed, then I see it as more like just using the rules to my advantage. It seems like it's not typically allowed by the CMs, so that answers my question. I'm wondering though if maybe it depends on how long the single rider line is at the time and just up to the discretion of the CM.

Separately, if my 10-year-old is willing to do single rider, is it likely she and her dad will end up in totally separate cars? How far apart do the cars run, i.e. how long would one have to wait alone before getting on the ride? Does it make sense for her to go first and I could wait for her at the end somewhere close by? I'm not familiar with the ride at all.

@chevab2020 they could be placed in the same car, they could be placed in different cars...it's sort of a gamble. If you're going after the tiers change, I would just try to FP it

The ride (like a lot of rides) empties out into the gift shop.

Thank you all. I have never used the single rider line, so I have no expectations about how long it takes. My assumption was it's shorter, otherwise why would anyone ever use it? You are right, it is kind of "gaming the system," although if it's allowed, then I see it as more like just using the rules to my advantage. It seems like it's not typically allowed by the CMs, so that answers my question. I'm wondering though if maybe it depends on how long the single rider line is at the time and just up to the discretion of the CM.

Separately, if my 10-year-old is willing to do single rider, is it likely she and her dad will end up in totally separate cars? How far apart do the cars run, i.e. how long would one have to wait alone before getting on the ride? Does it make sense for her to go first and I could wait for her at the end somewhere close by? I'm not familiar with the ride at all.

You may be on different sets of cars. The coaster has about 14 rows of 2 give or take. You'll 100% end up in a different group of 2 but more likely than not you'll end up in the same set of cars (only if you're the last single rider loaded into one car would you be split and then he'd be the first single rider in the next car). If you are split, at the unloading zone there's only a single door width exit out of the area and exceptionally easy to just wait by the exit for the next car which will come in about 1 minute and you'd be able to see it from where you'd be waiting. It would be exceptionally odd for the second rider not to be in the next ride vehicle - you'd basically need an entire ride worth of even number parties for you to have to wait more than than 1 minute.

Do they not give wait times for the single rider line?

I've only seen a single rider wait time at Test Track. Wait times are hard to predict for single rider lines because there's no way for them to know how many even numbered parties there are in the standby and FP lines. At Everest you can see how many people are in the line before you get in. I know at RNR there are signs in the single rider line that say it can take as long as the stand by line, and when I was in that line two weeks ago they announced that wait times were longer than predicted and the single rider line may take longer than standby (which was over an hour at that point) so I got out of line and grabbed a FP later in the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!